Sunday 12th, Shooting Near lake Lyndon

Elmo
Hard Yaka

Sunday 12th, Shooting Near lake Lyndon

Postby Elmo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:53 am

Some people have shown some interest in the 'unofficial' rifle range Near Lake Lyndon

This trip will show people where it is, and how to access it.

Suitable for long and short range rifles, and also for weapons of mass destruction :twisted: :twisted:

A suitable 4x4 (basically as long as it IS a 4x4 with some ground clearance) is required as the terrain does require a few small water crossings (approx 12 inchs deep but can be twice this)

Anyone taking guns MUST have relivant licences and be responcible for any people you take without them.

Safety is PARAMOUNT as they could be a few people there and it is remote (ish)

Meet at WADDINGTON (townies can arrange a meeting place closer) at 11am (I leave from Rolleston) on the NORTH side of railway lines (ie not on the main road)

Please show interest here, and PM me for my Cell.

This is weather dependant. Will make a call on the evening of Friday 10th.

Elmo
Hard Yaka

Re: Sunday 12th, Shooting Near lake Lyndon

Postby Elmo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Checked forcast, not so good.

Will do another time.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:06 pm

or why don't people go and use the safety of the nzda rifle range at mcleans island, they have 50, 100 and 200mtr range and its pretty cheap and alot safer and is normally open most weekends from memory

That's why there is firing rangers, so people don't go up in the hills where it can be dangerous and also start fires, and as of dec there is a fire ban....

Brenick
Winch master

Postby Brenick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Most ranges do only cater up to 200m or so. Long range is 500m+ (even over 1K) and a safe area to shoot those distances is very hard to find. I assume this is what Elmo is talking about. The idea of an "organised" shoot in a safe area is great. I think it beats a whole lot of individuals trying to find a suitable location themselves.

Elmo
Hard Yaka

Postby Elmo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Yes exactly. I have met guys up at this range shooting over a 2000m distance, not something that can be done in town.

Most people that go to this area are there for the range, or hunting, so know of the potential dangers in the area.

The fireing zone is actually well above ground level, which helps prevent anyone accidently crossing infront of fire, and also gives a good view both up and down the valley to see if anyone is approaching.

My rifle still has good killing power at 600m plus, but my reticle doesnt give me any markers for this distance so I actually have to phycially work out where my mark is for aiming at distances like that. Cant do this on a 200m range.

Its better people know where this place is than go play at the waimak or similar rivers.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:09 pm

2000mtr? must be big over kill cal?

I under stand 500 cuase I can push mine out to 800mtr in the right conditions and shell load

Elmo
Hard Yaka

Postby Elmo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:21 am

Yes it was a bloody big gun. The dude made it himself. Weight was about 26kg, something you wouldnt exactly take hunting. lol. Was doing 1.5 inch groups at 2000m. .416 I think was the cal.

Return to “Planning a trip?”