Rainbow - Denniston - Reefton

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Rainbow - Denniston - Reefton

Postby Pico42 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 am

Hi All

We are doing a trip through Molesworth, up through the Rainbow Road, out over to Westport/Denniston, down to Reefton then south.

Any suggestions on where to drive in the Denniston area? Is there an accesible track between Murchison & westport. Not familiar with the area at all.

Looking be in that area about the 12th - 15th February if anyone else is in the area. Happy for harder trips.

muddy
Hard Yaka

Re: Rainbow - Denniston - Reefton

Postby muddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:27 am

From Murchison, heading to Westport, you turn right just before the one-way Iron Bridge over the Buller River, and this turns into a gravel road which fords the Mackley River, and then the power pylon maintenance road through to Denniston. The river crossings are the only potentially difficult bits, although navigation can be challenging since there are side-tracks to every power pylon. There is another loop track on the plateau which I haven't done, but DOC have pamphlets for it. I was last through in Oct and there were no locked gates or access permits required, but it may be worth a call to DOC to check, as there are plans for increased mining so some restrictions are likely soon...

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:51 am

You can add a few more back roads between St Arnaud and Murchison if you like by going through the Porika, from St Arnaud carry on down SH 63 toward Murch and then turn off up the Howard Valley the Porika track is well sign posted where it turns off the Howard. The Porika track runs from the Howard through to Lake Rotaroa. From lake Rotaroa you can either go down the Gowan Valley to the SH or you can take another back road and go from Lake Rotoroa over the Braeburn track to the Tutaki Valley and then down the Tutaki to Murchison both are easy drives

Gardengnome
Truck Hore

Postby Gardengnome » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:25 pm

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/article ... niston.php

A great site highlighting a good number of tracks with a ot of info. It is written from a motorcyclists point of view but none the less a great resource of information.
Last edited by Gardengnome on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:59 pm

muddy wrote:From Murchison, heading to Westport, you turn right just before the one-way Iron Bridge over the Buller River, and this turns into a gravel road which fords the Mackley River, and then the power pylon maintenance road through to Denniston. The river crossings are the only potentially difficult bits, although navigation can be challenging since there are side-tracks to every power pylon. There is another loop track on the plateau which I haven't done, but DOC have pamphlets for it. I was last through in Oct and there were no locked gates or access permits required, but it may be worth a call to DOC to check, as there are plans for increased mining so some restrictions are likely soon...

There used to be a toll/locked gate to get through here?

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:22 pm

Smurf wrote:
muddy wrote:From Murchison, heading to Westport, you turn right just before the one-way Iron Bridge over the Buller River, and this turns into a gravel road which fords the Mackley River, and then the power pylon maintenance road through to Denniston. The river crossings are the only potentially difficult bits, although navigation can be challenging since there are side-tracks to every power pylon. There is another loop track on the plateau which I haven't done, but DOC have pamphlets for it. I was last through in Oct and there were no locked gates or access permits required, but it may be worth a call to DOC to check, as there are plans for increased mining so some restrictions are likely soon...

There used to be a toll/locked gate to get through here?

Yeah I think there is a locked gate there too .... can recall going thru there & the farmer being given a 40oz to let us all thru.

nuts
Hard Yaka

Postby nuts » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:01 pm

doc loop track gate always open now and plenty of tracks up there all over the place if ya look lol
people think i have a problem with insanity .... i dont i enjoy every minute ..... 0278900597

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:31 pm

nuts wrote:doc loop track gate always open now and plenty of tracks up there all over the place if ya look lol

Yep, it is the track we took on the Southern Safari. Best to have more than one truck if the rivers are up.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Pico42 wrote:Hi All

We are doing a trip through Molesworth, up through the Rainbow Road, out over to Westport/Denniston, down to Reefton then south.

Any suggestions on where to drive in the Denniston area? Is there an accesible track between Murchison & westport. Not familiar with the area at all.

Looking be in that area about the 12th - 15th February if anyone else is in the area. Happy for harder trips.

Organise a hook up with Nuts, he knows the Denniston area well, bound to get you lost somewhere.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. Will spend some time on the maps and our calendar and perhaps talk to a few people.

For the Mackley River track, it would be DoC Buller I would call?

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:11 pm

I might be keen to tag along from the Iron Bridge through to Denniston and have a play around Westport

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Hey smurf,

That could be good. Only thing is we are not sure exactly what days we will be there. Coming from Molesworth and going on to Reefton, with only a loose expectation of each days travel.

What your situation?

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Weekend of the 8th I am busy, free around any other weekends at this stage.

loppee
Hard Yaka

Postby loppee » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:31 am

Hey Ross
If you are in chch ya have to stop in at my place for a catch up.
Woody.

nuts
Hard Yaka

Postby nuts » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:05 pm

dont need to go thru doc for denniston i go up there all the time lol oh and havnt been charged to go thru gate last couple of times gate was open any way
people think i have a problem with insanity .... i dont i enjoy every minute ..... 0278900597

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:42 pm

I got an email back from DOC today confirming there is no longer a locked gate on the Mackley-Denniston road.
quote from email
"The road through to Denniston from Iron Bridge is open to the public – there is no longer a locked gate. I have recently heard that the road thru there is in good condition"

Return to “Planning a trip?”