Nelson day trip or overnighter.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Nelson day trip or overnighter.

Postby Smurf » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Any Nelson locals keen on a day out somewhere in the coming month or perhaps a cruisy overnighter into the Leatham Valley or possibly up the Glenroy Valley in Murchison?
Or somewhere else close by? just a laid back get outta town deal.

Mr Revhead
Hard Yaka

Re: Nelson day trip or overnighter.

Postby Mr Revhead » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Argh I am but It's going in the shed this weekend so I can sort the body lift and injector pump leak.
Due to other commitments (missus has landscaping plans for me :( ) It might take me a few weekends to get it sorted. Once I have I'm keen as a bean

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Sing out if you need a hand, with the body lift or the landscaping. But we are away this weekend sorry. :-)
Could be a good excuse in a few weekends time, to drag the Wife out for a weekend away too.

Mr Revhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Mr Revhead » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 pm

Cheers for the offer. Should be all good, it's just a matter of available time to get things done!
Heading south at Labour weekend so thats the goal for the lift and 32"s

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi smurf, I'm a bit shy on free weekends but if 11/12 Oct suits I'd swing up for a nosy up the L. Never been up there so a sniff round would be good. Thats last weekend of school hol. Chrs, S

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:03 pm

drive it ... wrote:Hi smurf, I'm a bit shy on free weekends but if 11/12 Oct suits I'd swing up for a nosy up the L. Never been up there so a sniff round would be good. Thats last weekend of school hol. Chrs, S

Could be a plan, Leatham is pretty a pretty cruisy trip.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:08 pm

I am still keen to arrange a weekend away with a few families but need to postpone for a bit as my better half is under going Surgery this week and the rest of the household have to become servants for her for a few weeks.

Mr Revhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Mr Revhead » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:48 pm

I'll be keen as after Labour weekend.

markr
Hard Yaka

Postby markr » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:37 am

Any goog day trips around here in nelson?

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:16 am

markr wrote:Any goog day trips around here in nelson?

Riverbeds and firebreaks...
Not really aye. head up to the lakes and cruise over the Porika track and Beebys knob (Beebys need a key from DOC). Both have good scenery, not hard drives.
Otherwise you need to head away for overnighters up the Leatham valley, Glenroy valley etc. Perhaps the Aorere goldfields in Takaka/Collingwood. The Nelson club has access to a few closer places. Hit Sav up, he may be able to point you towards somewhere local.

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:09 pm

Leatham area is a good trip and has lots of hut options depending on how the trip/weather is going. You can do a day trip in up the Boulder easily and even have enough time to do the Porika and Braeburn on the way there or back, or I reckon you could do an in and out of the Leatham too if you don't mind a 'long' day (only really slabbing it there and back that makes it long, which is easy driving anyway, and depends on your definition off a long day :lol: ).

There are some tracks up the Maungatapu, but from the Pelorus side and you can't drive right over, nothing hardcore. I haven't done it but there is a track out to Hori Bay, expect pin striping, and there are some pylon tracks out around Elaine Bay way.

The Rainbow - Severn - Molesworth is a nice little run, but just gravel. Also Mailings Pass and Edwards? hut/track off there as well.

I'm heading in for the first time on Friday night on the way to the Anatori, but the Cobb looks like a nice little run too.

Smurf wrote:

Riverbeds and firebreaks...
Not really aye. head up to the lakes and cruise over the Porika track and Beebys knob (Beebys need a key from DOC). Both have good scenery, not hard drives.
Otherwise you need to head away for overnighters up the Leatham valley, Glenroy valley etc. Perhaps the Aorere goldfields in Takaka/Collingwood. The Nelson club has access to a few closer places. Hit Sav up, he may be able to point you towards somewhere local.

Haven't heard about Beebys Knob, will get google onto it :D
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

Return to “Planning a trip?”