N I places suggestions

NJV6
Hard Yaka

N I places suggestions

Postby NJV6 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:24 pm

The wife and I are planning a NI trip for June/July, we will be travelling alone and looking for suggestions of some places to explore. At this stage looking at 3 weeks on the other island.

Any good back roads, semi shiny tracks to recommend, places/towns we cannot miss?

Going up East and coming down centre west.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Re: N I places suggestions

Postby Lchundy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:42 pm

If you going up the east coast and never been to Napier amd gisbourne it's worth a look go to Maha peninsula while your around there then you can head round bop and coromandel
Not sure on tracks around that area
If in far north you sort of have to drive 90 mile
Heading south of auckland drive through raglan and follow that road down the coast

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:02 pm

QBW marshalling for 2 days at Kiwi ;-) ;-)
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:11 pm

skid wrote:QBW marshalling for 2 days at Kiwi ;-) ;-)

Sorry Skid, won't be there by then! I did the Kiwi back in 2005 when the shit hit the fan, that was awkward.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:16 pm

Lchundy wrote:If you going up the east coast and never been to Napier amd gisbourne it's worth a look go to Maha peninsula while your around there then you can head round bop and coromandel
Not sure on tracks around that area
If in far north you sort of have to drive 90 mile
Heading south of auckland drive through raglan and follow that road down the coast

Thank you, will take a note. I was beginning to wonder if anyone up North helped others out at all...

We have relations in whakatane and Keri Keri so will be going to those areas. Other places are Cape Palliser & East Cape and some time around Napier & Rotorua.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:43 am

LOL as an ex southlander i have found the further south you go the freindly'er people are.... that doesnt mean they arent helpfull, just a bit more cautious

Give us some more info are you in a camper, 4wd, a car do you have a tent are you interested in camping over in nice spots how long you got to spend

Without any idea id suggest turn out to the coast at masterton and go see castle point then when you come back to masterton turn off and head up the coast rd to Akitio you have to go in land there as the road to Herbitvile is private but continue up to Porongahau and then up the coast and out to Wiapukarau now if your in a camper dont do this in winter the gravel up here isnt like down south its got mud stone in it very dusty in the dry and slick in the wet and roads have a habbit of dissapearing in extreme rain lol
When you get to napier head inland to Puketitiri and the Doc camp ground for a night at the hot springs, you have to ford a river for this one,dont use the bridge its private and un rated i have heard some talk the ford has gone i suspect they used the private bridge talk to Doc

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:48 pm

up your'e SH1 through mangaweka/taihape, hit the back way from mangaweka to taihape - ridge road south. pretty shiney track but it's rather nice. would be a bit more entertaining the wetter it gets.

'gentle annie' napier to taihape road if you're heading from the bay to central north island.

if you've got the camper/sleeping in your truck then try priy dieselboys secret camping spot details in the desert from him?

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:20 pm

Great stuff, we are travelling by shiny Paj, will full camping gear and self sufficient. We will not be camping all the time but from time to time, if it's not too cold!

I'll pick some brains about the beach and dunes north of Auckland too.

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:39 am

plenty of doc campsites around the manawatu area. makino reserve out by mokai bungy looks pretty good.
plenty of spots up the pohangina valley newar palmy/feilding.

tgaguy1
Hard Yaka

Postby tgaguy1 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:23 pm

Porters road in bop and camping at the lake. Beautiful place there. Another favourite for camping is the lake tarawera outlet camp site. Beautiful place. What dates are you in the bop area glen? If i am home those dates we could show you a place or two.
Men do not quit playing because they get old.
They grow old because they quit playing.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:28 pm

Does it ever stop raining up here!!

Left the South Island on Sunday and apart from yesterday afternoon it's rained since! In Napier at the mo, came over from taihape yesterday, nice drive. 1800km done so far, cheapest Diesel so far - Gore, 97cents. :D

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:07 pm

NJV6 wrote:Does it ever stop raining up here!!

Left the South Island on Sunday and apart from yesterday afternoon it's rained since! In Napier at the mo, came over from taihape yesterday, nice drive. 1800km done so far, cheapest Diesel so far - Gore, 97cents. :D

So thats where the rain came from. Dry for months then a southlander comes for a visit and brings us a present ;-)

Did you travel through Levin. Diesel usually under 90c there :-)
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:44 am

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/parks- ... eka-fp.pdf

Highly recommend the drive into Mangatutu hot springs, and visiting the old flax mill site on the Makaroro River :)
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:31 pm

Just saw this otherwise would have offered some tips sooner.

From Napier, if you want to really hit the backroads go west on SH5 then head north on the Waipunga access on the East side of the Kaiangaroa forest (can send GPS route) This takes you via the Whirinaki & out to SH38 at Te Whaiti, then head through to Waikaremoana, after Tuai you can wiggle your east via Ohuka Rd .... Ruakituri Rd. It's a nice drive around the East Cape, the Motu Rd is worth a look & the Otipi track that comes off Takaputahi Rd midway through the Motu is a nice in & out drive that MAY be ok for a shiny.

Dunno if I'd call Porters Rd very shiny friendly :? If you want to somewhere to stay at Lake Rotoiti our 'guest cottage' is free, shoot me a pm.

Coromandel is a nice drive no matter where you go, heaps of camping. It's well worth going right up the west side to Fletcher Bay. North of Auckland check out the Kauri museum just south of Dargaville then go for a beach drive around Pouto, get on the beach off the end of Poutu Rd on the east side of the tip of the peninsula then head around & up to exit at Baylys beach.

Floowing the coast down from Raglan is a good call, go down hwy 3 for a bit from Awakino then turn inland at Ahititi to Ohura & get on hwy 43. After a bit of that you can turn off down to Purangi & Tarata, a few tunnels on that route IIRC.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:21 pm

NJV6 wrote:Great stuff, we are travelling by shiny Paj, will full camping gear and self sufficient. We will not be camping all the time but from time to time, if it's not too cold!

I'll pick some brains about the beach and dunes north of Auckland too.

If you want to do 90 mile get on at ahipara boat ramp/beach access google maps is telling me it's at the end of kaka st
Then you head north along beach till you get to te paki stream,drive up the stream to the main road then it's not far from there to the Cape
Cool dune around and north of the stream just be careful by yourself with a loaded wagon it can get soft .
Oh yeah the beach at low tide is hard and smooth like a highway and better to drive than the main road.
If you time it right with the tides you can drive up the beach from ahipara to the stream then to Cape reinga then back to ahipara campsite then stay there the night.
Or you could come back from the Cape and head over to KariKari peninsula nice little campsite at north end of tokerau beach or there are a few places you can park and camp along the beach which is easily driven on.
Some good fishing around there too and heaps of Tua tuas at the south end of tokearau beach which is good bait and a feed
This is just a suggestion if you are wanting to do it by yourself without pulling the spade out or needing to be recovered :wink:

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:49 pm

updates please :)

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Firstly thank you to those that have responded, it's great and sorry about the slow replies.

Today we are having a rest day, it's pouring with rain in Kerikeri and a rest day is well needed, we have done 4450km in 11 days. Only had two issues, A week before we left I put new springs and shocks in the Paj and round past ocean beach at Wellington a bottom shock bolt wasn't as tight at it should be and started knocking and worrying me, thankfully it was a quick fix. The other was I put a secondary 3 micron fuel filter on a month or so ago but there must be a slight air lock somewhere as it was starting to stall a couple of times after starting and then we went to get off the ferry and the bloody thing didn't want to start! Thankfully it did, the only thing I could think was fuel filter so I bypassed the secondary one back to factory and hasn't missed a beat since!

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:33 pm

Tomorrow we are heading north again and to Ahipara. We have been bugged by the tides nearly the whole trip so far, high tide is midday tomorrow so will head up after that and probably stay somewhere up there and come down the slow main road. It'd be great to have a play is some dunes one day but not so keen on our own!

From the reading I have done today it would seem I would be pushing it to go around Tauroa Point from Ahipara and out to Gumfields road on our own some?

Clint - you wrote about heading around Pouto Point and up the ripco beach- my parents did this years ago and said it can be pretty soft if your not sure where to miss quicksand - is that still the case? It looks like a good day trip on our way south again.
Last edited by NJV6 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 pm

Even the chooks are taking cover this afternoon.
Attachments
image.jpeg

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:38 pm

eggs are readily available in the NI you could have left the chooks at home mate :D

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:31 pm

In Taupo now having travelled down the raglan coast today, ferry crossing Saturday am, looking like it might rain some more yet....

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Home! 8240km in 22 days, 9.1 litres per hundred (according to trip computer - not actuals), average speed 62kmh.

Thanks for the help guys, certainly scratched an itch, more scratching req'd one day!

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:00 pm

did you receive my PM?

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:37 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:did you receive my PM?

No...? Nothing there

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:35 pm

strange that. i'll send another now, see if it arrives.

Return to “Planning a trip?”