Hull Road, Waitoki,

mudde1taketwo
Driver/Navigator

Hull Road, Waitoki,

Postby mudde1taketwo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:51 pm

Hull road is located about halfway between Kaukapakapa and Silverdale and over recent years has been used by 4x4 vehicles as a recreational drive. Over the last couple of years, the road has deteriorated and has become a very challenging drive.
Auckland Transport has recently granted New Zealand Four Wheel Drive Association (NZFWDA) permission to do some work to improve the road to make it more accessible to recreational 4x4 vehicles. While the permission is restricted to two arears of the road it will result in a better experience for 4x4 enthusiasts. It has taken a lot of work to get to this point and as far as I am aware this is the only area that Auckland Transport (Auckland Council) will allow work to be undertaken specifically to allow recreational 4x4 access. The work will involve removing the worst mud holes and installing winch posts.
We need to make the most of the permission we have been granted and get the work done while the weather is good.
NZFWDA has agreed to provide some funding but will to make this work but we will need donations from other users of the track. To this end NZFWDA will pay 50c for each $1 donated from others (to a max of $500) if we can raise sufficient funds this should hopefully be sufficient. We already have an offer of a digger and driver at very good rates but we will still need to pay for fuel etc. There will also be a need for some volunteer labour.
If you would like to donate towards this project donations can be made to NZFWDA account
02 0400 0217946 000.
Please put the reference as HULL followed by your name. Every cent donated will go towards Hull Road, nothing else. Work will not start until we have sufficient funds to complete the project. If have excess funds from this project funds will be returned to the donor, (if you send me your contact details). NZFWDA accounts are well managed by clubs and accounts are reviewed and comply with relevant legislation for incorporated societies.
Please note, the permission only allows for work to be undertaken when supervised by NZFWDA. Please don’t undertake any work outside of that supervised by NZFWDA.
We look forward to receiving your donations so that we can get this area to a standard that we can all use.

Tony Burgess
Public Relations Officer
New Zealand Four Wheel Drive Association.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: Hull Road, Waitoki,

Postby mudlva » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:48 pm

what depth and dia holes do you require?
what length and dia posts?
i know a bloke with a small drill rig...

mudde1taketwo
Driver/Navigator

Postby mudde1taketwo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:46 pm

mudlva wrote:what depth and dia holes do you require?
what length and dia posts?
i know a bloke with a small drill rig...

I know a guy with such a rig as well, and he is on my list of people who may get a shoulder tap. Currently we are talking to local earthmoving operators who are suggesting ramming posts but I have seen lots of rammed posts pulled out so are still open to ideas. Did see a rig that drove barbed spikes in with explosives, that would be good, but be a bit hard on the budget.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:19 pm

Fencing contractor with a post rammer can drive a 12 foot no1 or super strainer in....won't move those f**Ker's in a hurry.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:17 pm

I know it's good to keep tracks open
But to me hull rd a waste of time get heaps of clowns going up there and screwing it up

mudde1taketwo
Driver/Navigator

Postby mudde1taketwo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:21 pm

Have your say
at.govt.nz
Auckland Transport ( Council) are prosposing changes to Hull Road. Below is the text of a letter that has been sent to all local residents.
Anyone can make a submission on the proposed changes an NZFWDA would like as many people as possable to support the changes. Locals want the road closed and the proposel is a good way of making sure that closure dosent happen. All the information you require is below.
Please contact me if you have any questions.
Tony Burgess.
On Behalf of NZFWDA.
Kia ora Have your say on changes near you We are proposing to convert Hull Road, an unformed legal road, to a one-way entry from Austin Road at its south-easternmost end. This would primarily involve changes to signage as shown in the enclosed drawings. This proposal aims to eliminate safety hazards on Austin Road which develop when four wheel drive recreational vehicles from Hull Road track mud deposits onto the paved road. We have received a number of complaints that these deposits are dispersed onto the road during wet conditions and create safety concerns for vehicles travelling along Austin Road. We have considered a number of options for this paper road which includes closure, however this is not a viable option, given it is a public road and used for public access. It has also been suggested that four-wheel drive vehicles should be banned from using the road, given that they are damaging the road surface. We acknowledge that unformed roads will have a certain degree of damage given its natural typography and rough terrain. Proving that damage is caused by certain types of vehicles is very difficult to establish without consistent enforcement and resources. In addition, Auckland Transport cannot discriminate against these types of vehicles that use unformed road, given they are often designed for rough typography and it is for this reason we did not believe this was a viable option. Please note that this consultation has been extended, due to a technical error that resulted in many residents not being contacted. Please see the proposal drawing enclosed. Tell us what you think We want to hear from you! Community feedback will help us decide the final shape of this project. Follow the steps below to have your say. Go online to www.AT.govt.nz/haveyoursay Select North Auckland Find Hull Road, Waitoki – One Way Road Feedback period: 27th March – 1st May 2019
If you can’t access our website or have any questions, call us on (09) 448 7265 with the reference number: RTV-201 Next steps The outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback will be posted on our website approximately three weeks after feedback closes. To receive email updates for this proposal, please submit feedback by going to our website or calling our phone number. Ngā mihi, Tracey Berkahn | Group Manager Services & Performance Auckland Transport

Return to “Planning a trip?”