Weekend Confirmed, 15th and 16th of Jan. Who can do three days and who can only do two??

I can come only Saturday and Sunday!!
17%
Work Bites, I'm coming for all three!!!!
50%
Still can't really say, let you know closer to the time.
33%

Total votes: 6
DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:03 am

Last edited by DieselBoy on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:13 am, edited 10 times in total.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:42 pm

Sounds good... am still waiting to confirm dates :(
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

padero
Hard Yaka

Postby padero » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:36 pm

yep sounds prettie dandy to me pete, wots a prs radio ?

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:32 pm

HI, PRS is for Personal Radio Service and is communications. It is becoming increasingly popular, with the biggest improvement over the more traditional CB radios being the hand held units, they are small and easy to use and work with vehicle mounted units.

Hey Pete, what dates were you thinking about? Or did I miss something?,

Regards, Glen

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:09 am

Was waiting to see what time people had available. Any time in Jan suits me, but for the rest i reckon we try to run so that at least two of the days fall on a weekend, that would mean people could just come out for the saturday and sunday, and the rest of us be there for the friday before or the monday after or both.
I'll start a Poll if i can figure out how!!! Vote for the weekend that suits best, and the weather or not you would prefer to take a friday or monday of work.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:26 am

Ok, well there is a poll up there, but i wanted to run a second poll to see who wanted to go on what side of the weekend, but i can't, so never mind. Sort that one out as we go i guess. There is no reason why people couldn't show up for just the Saturday and Sunday. We would have to be a bit more organised so we could set a place to meet though. :D

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:10 am

By the way, you can get a hand held PRS radio for about $72 on trade me if you type in CB radio into the search engine.

padero
Hard Yaka

Postby padero » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:04 pm

orite cheers pete i'll have alook

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:08 am

:D Sweet, by looking at the poll that means we have six people interested!! More the merrier :D

surflover
Bush Crasher

Postby surflover » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:57 am

Hi All, will my standard completely stock 92 hilux surf be alright on the trip the only thing that i have done to it is put nex kumho adventers M/T's on it

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:57 pm

Yep, it would be fine!!!
If you got the chance, pull the running boards off, its only 6 bolts to undo per side, as one of the tracks up Deniston has about four rock steps in it and i have seen a 4dr Bighorn bend its running boards on one of them. Surfs are quite a bit higher though, and personally i would have taken the time to move some rocks around to make a couple of ramps up the ledge!!!!! Saying that i have still got the running boards on my safari. I put them back on to HIDE the dents in in the sills :D
Just looking at you photo of your vehicle, i see you have a tow bar. Remove the ball (pair of vice grips and a big bar on your socket wrench) and go to repco and get a $20 rated shackel and put it in place of the ball. What have you got on the front for towing??
Towing points are the most important thing for going off road, with out them, or with out good ones, you risk your vehicle and every one else!!!
If you don't have a tow hook on the front, they are $10 on trade me under automotive, 4x4, carparts. You can make the bracket to mount it with your self, or go to an engineering out fit to get one made. All you need is a small length of 5mm 90 degree angle iron about 100mm long and a 12mm drill bit. One side of the angle iron you drill to take the hook bolts, the other side you drill to match the holes in the chassis that the nudge bar mounts to. Simple really, good to do on a wet Sunday. If you have no idea what im on about i can post pics. :wink:

So shackel on the tow bar in place of the ball, hook on the front and running boards of and you will be fine.
Cheers,
Pete.
Last edited by DieselBoy on Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

surflover
Bush Crasher

Postby surflover » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:26 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the info, if you don't mind i will have those photo's you were offering. :) . my dad has a teranno they're good, the only trouble was he wend too fast over a ditch and there has a boulder in it and it ripped the wheel off and i think the shock broke and the mechanic said there was damage to the axle and diff :oops:

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:44 pm

I would do the following for hooks etc:

1. use 5mm gauge steel
2. use minimum 2 x 8.8 HT bolts

I made a plate to move my mount on the front as my nice shiny new hook wouldnt bolt straight on. One piece of 100mm x 200mm 5mm plate, four holes and two 8.8 HT bolts, I'd recommend using the orignal ones to bolt the chassis side as long as they are rated high enough.

I would suggest buying a shackle & hooks from Mikes shop on here, I bought a 6.5T shackle from here... then you know they are rated etc. Some people didnt like using my repco one as its not stamped.
-----------------------

surflover
Bush Crasher

Postby surflover » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:37 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips, i am going to buy a shackle a 6.5t from this sites shop

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:47 pm

Surflover,if as the name suggests your pride and joy is your 92 mint std surf . Napoleans Hill, the Tunnels, Noname Rd and Mt Greenland is no place for you. Trust me been there got the Hat and Tee Shirt. but whether you go or not, you are welcome to give me a call and I will assist you with knowledge and gear, you don't come out of those trips unscathed.
Ph 3387202.
Get Dirty, FITZY.

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:26 pm

Smokey how hard are these tracks compared to the worsley spur track? If they are roughly the same or slightly worse then I would definitly be going as a couple of stock standard surfs(even newer than yours surflover) and a standard mitsu pajero tackled worsleys for training without incident.

If your confident about vehicle placement and dont mind getting out and eyeing things up, taking it slow and moving things then I would take the plunge. I'm planning on tagging along on this as I've never been on these tracks and will be taking my surf. (in mikes album)

Also the 4.75t shackle is probably all you will need at the moment as the 6.5t is overkill for a shiney. I'll be adding Free drop off or pick up option for chch this weekend. So you may want to hold off ordering for a couple of days.

Mike

padero
Hard Yaka

Postby padero » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:11 pm

orite nice1 mike ur coming... yeh my truck did alrite up there... i got some new tyres and a snorkel for it now hehe nice big mud one's i have got 6" extra travel with the new tyres (BFG MUDDIES) and the air shocks on high than i do on my standard shit :twisted: im well pleased with it ... going to have to get my recovery gear sorted next and after that there's not much else i can think to get for it

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:15 pm

Offtopic :D

Padero, what size tyre did you opt for?

padero
Hard Yaka

Postby padero » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:20 pm

lol off topic i knw sorry :P i got 31x10.5 R15 ... its a v6 3liter so it can handle the bigger tyers

so is every1 just going to sleep in there truck's unless there is a hut on the track ?? passengers are welcome a ?

do we know the number of people coming yet ? or we stil at the arranging stage ?

jez im asking alot tonite, been working a away for the week so havnt been able to keep up to date

surflover
Bush Crasher

Postby surflover » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:17 pm

Hi All,

Sounds like a plan Mike, Free shipping would be good, i only need 1 shackle for the back and on tow hook for the front so if you could bring those down it would be great. is that enough for pulling a V6 surf ????

Info PLease

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:17 pm

padero wrote:going to have to get my recovery gear sorted next and after that there's not much else i can think to get for it

I've just been into a goldmine... a riggers workshop, just got all the stuff me and a mate need to get a 2002 lux out of a 300ft deep ravine with sides at about 45/50 degrees. Will be doing it Monday and expect it to take a good few hours. Should be fun, now thats serious recovery ;) and we get paid :D Will be getting photos too...

re the trip, I'm still waiting for dates :( but hope to come... and I havent put my vote up there yet
-----------------------

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:31 pm

take a pic for the front page, current one is getting a bit old --good but old--

how do you get all the good jobs :?:

would be good to get a few people on this trip as it sounds pretty good. Thanks to Dieselboy for organising it :wink:

Mike

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:04 pm

mike wrote:take a pic for the front page, current one is getting a bit old --good but old--

Will try, but I'm in the pulling vehicle, because of where it is, winching isnt an option, so we will have one truck with a massive pulley block on the back, anchored to 2 concrete fence posts and two ground anchors, plus me in my truck providing the line pull. Along with one person steering the lux, and another directing from a distance.

how do you get all the good jobs :?:

Right place, right gear, I have all the radio comms we'll need and a big truck to provide a good pull. Also I work for myself so can spare Monday for having some paid fun.... Alothough 95% of the job will be prep. We have more gear than you could shake a stick at, 14 x 6.5T shackles, 14 x 4.5T shackles, 125m of 22T wire rope, another 50m of 2-4T straps plus universal joints, snig chains etc.

would be good to get a few people on this trip as it sounds pretty good. Thanks to Dieselboy for organising it :wink:

Mike

Sounds like it will be a good one, just hope I can order my winch, make new bumpers and get them fitted in time... doubtful as I dont have the winch money yet..... but I can hope. could have Picked up a 24V Landcrusier factory winch for $500, but 24V for my truck would cost $1000, so that didnt make sense :( And after yesterday have found I need a genie for work.

Any yea, thanks to dieselboy :) BTW if I do come, I have two PRS handhelds spare that peeps can borrow for the trip.
-----------------------

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:17 pm

Hi all on the coast trip, I'm not trying to be a kill joy just wanting to make people aware of the damage that can happen. my first trip in my 92 Surf into Lake Mason cost me one front flare,sidestep and mud flap when caught up on boulder.one rear corner bumper and lots of scratchers, I now use the Surf for Sunday drives and bought a 1987 Landcruiser that I've taken on most tracks in the south island and every panel has a story to tell. Worsley spur has no trees, bushes, rocks or water. The coast has the lot. I would strongly recommend disconecting the inlet hose to the air cleaner and get a hose that puts the suction back by the firewall on the Surfs that don't have a Snorkel. All the best may be I should bring the Surf over for a bit of fun.
Get Dirty, FITZY.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:29 am

The Biggest thing to remember on these tracks is that if it looks tricky, STOP!!! Don't just point and go, thats how you do damage. As for the water, well it is summer, but syaing that the westcoast gets all seansons in a day most days, so you never can tell. Napoleans hill is fine even in the rain, the Mackly river is the worst, and the one at the end of Big River can be deep at times. If you have a tarp over the front both will be fine, they are rarely over wheel height, and besides, we can always tow the vehicles through dead, or i can winch them through. There is no reason to take risks when it comes to any odf these tracks, and i have alowed plenty of time for such circumstances should they arrise. The first day will be the tightest time wise, but big river is a walk in the park, and it doesn't get dark till after 9.00pm should it come to that and I highly doubt it will at that time of year.
Last edited by DieselBoy on Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:36 am

Right, poll changed. Hope i havn't p1ssed any one off.
Last edited by DieselBoy on Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:50 am

Deleted :D
Last edited by DieselBoy on Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:37 pm

Right, this is what im going to do. I'll ring around and get some prices in WP, I'll make a choice from that and book ten rooms or what ever for Thursday night 13th of Jan.
So from that you can take it we will be going Friday through to Sunday.

Friday is sorted, but i will discretly make some enquries to Doc to see if its booked or somthing. Highly doubt it, but it wouldn't hurt to check i guess.

Saturday night, well when i do the recky on the track at lake brunner (Cock eye creek i think its called)i will find a camp sight. Sorting out accomodation in Greymouth may be a real pain :shock: . Besides, campings way more fun. :lol:

Hows that sound :?:
Last edited by DieselBoy on Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:29 pm

Friday through to sunday would have worked better for me otherwise can only make the two days....not to worry.

To make it easier keeping track of whos coming would it be easier for you if I added this trip to the Trips section and bookings can be confirmed and deposits paid for accomdation if necessary etc? Can limit the amount of vehicles as well.

Mike

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:25 pm

Thats a good idea mike.... ;)
-----------------------

Return to “Planning a trip?”