New Years trip Central Otago

albundy
Rolly Polly

New Years trip Central Otago

Postby albundy » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:29 pm

Hi Guys,
have atrip running to central Otago on the 2,3,4,5,6 January. Leaving Sun 2/1 heading to Naseby and camping the night. Mon 3/1 heading to Roxburgh via Serpentine Rd. Tues 4/1 playing along Old Man Range and maybe Whitcombe Rd. Wednesday, explore the Dunstan mountains via Thompsons saddle. Will be camping rough every night, prepared for snow camping. If anyone is interested in tagging along email me at nikalmc@xtra.co.nz. Full recovery gear required and MT's and must. No responsibility taken for anyones lack of driving skill.
Al

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:45 pm

Good ideas, but what does playing on the old man range involve?

Cheers, Glen
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Jungle
Hard Yaka

Postby Jungle » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:03 pm

I hope your kidding with that question glen. I assume from my years of 4WD knowledge that playing along the old man range consists of 4WDing in your paj painted with paint.

Merry Christmas

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:22 pm

No the reason I said that was because I hope it is not seen as a trip to be going to 'have a play' on. It (the old man range/whitcoome road) has been a sensitive topic (with DoC, runholders, and 4WD clubs) and there have been a few trips to meetings with DOC to keep this public road open. It has been mooted a few times to close it due to 4WD owners and bikes ripping up the fragile peat swamps up there.

Having done this trip a number of times, its great, it would be a shame to lose it due to the few that ruin it.

Don't get me wrong Im not meaning to sound like a old grump :D and not for one minute did I expect you to be one of the reckless few.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you too :)

Glen

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:02 am

You've got my attention :lol:
I take it warm gear is what you are getting at with camping in the snow, or is there somthing else (ex Nth Islander)???

So i can see if i can fit it in with my shift rotations at work, roughly where would you be meeting on 2/1 so i can work out my travel times from the coast. And where would the end of the trip leave us, so i can work out how long i would need to get back home.
I think i may need to take the 7/1 off work as i would need a day to get home i suspect. Or are you leaving 6/1 for traveling??

Likely terrain encountered?? I have seen pics of some of the areas you mention, but what im getting at is you aren't planning a tough truck trip are you??

Fuel?? extra 20L or more ??

Been waiting for the opportunity to get down there with people who have the local knowledge, so im pretty keen even though its tight with the other trips i have going on, work, and getting my alternator rebuilt. :D :D

albundy
Rolly Polly

Central Otago Trip

Postby albundy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:51 am

How how quick to assume. Playing means exploring and enjoying the country side. I am very well aware of the problems of access and being environmentally sensitive. I have been quick to critise those who do wreck it for those that respect it. If you are so concerned, tag along to police us if you will.
Al :!:

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:59 am

Don't worry mate, as I said I was not for one minute suggesting you'd be any of that lot, and I don't really think it'd be necessary to 'come along and police it'!

Its the people who have no idea, we have been called out up there at 1 and 2am to rescue people who have got hopelessly bogged miles from the track.

Might be heading over on the 28th myself, have a great trip, I'd join if I could. If you get the time it's well worth coming right down to Piano flat at the end of the road, over and back is well achieveable. With all this rain the water holes should be nice and full too!

Cheers

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:02 pm

DieselBoy wrote:Fuel?? extra 20L or more ??

I was wondering that too.... am planning on 20L ....

NJV6 wrote:Might be heading over on the 28th myself, have a great trip, I'd join if I could. If you get the time it's well worth coming right down to Piano flat at the end of the road, over and back is well achieveable. With all this rain the water holes should be nice and full too!

I hope to make that trip ;) just got the newsletter, thanks... just have to find someone else to be on call :D
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

wjw
Hard Yaka

Re: Central Otago Trip

Postby wjw » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:53 pm

albundy wrote: I have been quick to critise those who do wreck it for those that respect it. If you are so concerned, tag along to police us if you will.
Al :!:

After seeing the Ozzy bush basher drive... I think its safe to say the police don't need to be called, as i don't think theres a minimum speed limit off road... oh and:

Breakdowns - Toyota 0 : 1 Nissan

Toyota's won the reliability stakes, mwahahahahaha!!!!!!

Cheers for the Trip Al... see you on the next one.... will do a write up once my eyes/arms start working properly... and should get some photos up over the weekend...

Billy Spin...
-----------------------

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:58 am

Yes but you forgot to mention the recovery ratios Bill the "spinner"
Nissan !: Toyota tonka toys 40+. She may have been battered and bruised but never recovered. HAHAHA!!! I would rate that trip as one of the best I have done. Good company, good challenging driving and many a good laugh. Will definitely be down there agian in the near future.
Al

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:00 pm

-----------------------

Return to “Planning a trip?”