Westcoast piss trip 15, 16 & 17 july

albundy
Rolly Polly

Westcoast piss trip 15, 16 & 17 july

Postby albundy » Fri May 27, 2005 7:45 pm

Organising a birthday piss trip for the above dates. Planning on leaving the 15 ( friday) heading over to Reefton sneak into waitahu for the night. Sat 16 do Napoleons Hill and Waipuna tunnels head to greymouth for the night. Sunday could do MT Greenland or Cockeye or No Name Rd or anything else that takes peoples fancy.
Montgomerie Hut at the waitahu river only sleeps six peolpe, so anymore will require tenting, room for about 4-6 tents. I have definitely got a bunk bed in the hut seen I am organising the trip and its my birthday.
Email me at nikalmc@xtra.co.nz if you are interested. And yes there will be so much bloody mud.
Will need rated tow hooks front and rear, MT's advisable, recovery strops and plenty of piss. May need snorkel depending on river levels.
Albundy
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

padero
Hard Yaka

Postby padero » Fri May 27, 2005 7:49 pm

hey al, sounds good i'll be there . what do you want for a prezzie lol ? ? blow up sheep ??

ad

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Fri May 27, 2005 8:17 pm

Bugger.
Do i risk it??
I could postpone my Ferry crossing untill later in the week.
I don't start my new job untill the 23rd.
I could catch the ferry on the 18th.
But if i f#ck somthing on the trip................... :shock:
Hmmm.
Good way to say fair well to the coast for a while.
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Fri May 27, 2005 10:12 pm

Nah Aussies don't do sheep adam, we do women. Not sure what you poms do, probably chickens. Just bring along a good attitude and PISS :lol: 8) :D
pete, promise you won't break anything, unless bill is your second name :lol:

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sat May 28, 2005 1:13 pm

Hmm, how i read july as june beats me.......... :roll:

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sat May 28, 2005 8:59 pm

Tell me more................ :D :D :D
I start an new job on the 20th so I 'spose I better be there for that 8)
Whats the go for accomdation?

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sat May 28, 2005 9:01 pm

And yes there will be so much bloody mud.

Its not all mud is it?

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Sat May 28, 2005 10:42 pm

No there is some boulder hoping to get up the Waitahui which when underwater can prove a bit of a challenge. Waipuni tunnels is through a narrow creek with towering walls and you drive through the mountain a couple of times, napoleons hill, if you do it uphill can prove difficult with the deep ruts. Cockeye creek is rockhopping. You can travel the track but it is boring, get in the creek I say. No name rd pure mud with some narly ruts, that's if that westcoast 4wd school hasn't done some repair on it as it is their training area. The rivers could be deep if raining. Mt greenlad=mud, ruts and at about 3/4 the way up some very big boulders to negotiate. Last time I did this in winter there was 1" of ice over them and we didn't get past it. I will take my chains this time.
So interested.....?
Al

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sun May 29, 2005 10:22 am

Mmmm, could be. :wink:
Have to get back to you closer to the date. Is there any need to book accomodation in advance or is it pretty cruisy?
The other thing is...... No reg no wof no cert :D Do I risk it????? 8)

Cheers Thomas

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Sun May 29, 2005 4:07 pm

I wouldn't!

4X4ROB
Driver/Navigator

Huh??

Postby 4X4ROB » Sun May 29, 2005 8:19 pm

You wouldn't what??? Methinks you probably would!!!!
Neway is a stock Nissan with bald road tyres acceptable? Plus I am teetotal so if you wouldn't mind leaving out the drinking bit I might come along!
:D :D
Might need some new tyres methinks....destroyed two in the North Island, and the best of the rest is not flash!
But put me down for the trip...either Mamakat or Angela will be winch wench!
I know a few other fun places over there but as you say is weather dependant!! Off over there this weekend if I can get a warrant...problem with the front roll centre bush which I have pulled apart and seems fine!

Cya on the trail soon...Robbie
Robbie...GQ, Integra GSR, Suzuki 250.

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Sun May 29, 2005 8:53 pm

I wouldn't be going without a warrant, rego etc. As for you being a teetotaler, BULLSHIT. Might have to start calling you pinoccio. Had you down as a contender anyway Robbie, Iknow you can't resist a good bushbash.... :lol:

4X4ROB
Driver/Navigator

Postby 4X4ROB » Sun May 29, 2005 9:30 pm

I'll be there mate!!!

Regards...Robbie

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon May 30, 2005 5:28 pm

Providing my truck is ready :) I'd love to come.... although could do with the lift and tyres first....hmm

Recond'd Turbo should arrive tommorow then its onto the other bits...
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Mon May 30, 2005 5:34 pm

Hmmmm, sounds like a good trip, but how would it be for someone with not a lot of 4wd experience?

4X4ROB
Driver/Navigator

Postby 4X4ROB » Mon May 30, 2005 7:35 pm

I am not the trip organiser, but, if you never get allowed on trips how do you get experience???
Fine by me so long as your truck meets certain basic requirements..being Mud tyres, certified recovery hooks properly mounted front and rear (a shackle (rated) in your towball hole is OK at the back, and a rated recovery strop or rope. A snorkel is a good idea on the coast.
I don't think I am out of line saying this for one of Al's trips as we think alike.
If still in doubt ring me on 0210433507. I can talk to Al (he works shifts) and sort any probs.

Regards...Robbie

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Mon May 30, 2005 7:47 pm

I've got a removable rear hook mounted to my bumper/towbar, which I've been told should be ok as it is bolted to the chassis rails, and the 4 bolts that used to hold the loop thingy (whatever that was), and I'm about to have the front hooks mounted.
Only problem is, I was going to mount these off the chassis extensions for the winch mount (92 GQ). Would this be strong enoungh?

I'm currently running crappy 33" M/T's :( , but may have new Dunlop Sumitomos by then (probably just as bad :roll: ) and have recovery strops, first aid kit etc, is PRS a good idea?

Cheers,
Dave

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon May 30, 2005 8:17 pm

btw its my birthday that month too ;) so maybe we have todo another trip later on....hmmm
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

4X4ROB
Driver/Navigator

Postby 4X4ROB » Mon May 30, 2005 8:48 pm

Hooks on a GQ on the chassis extension are fine. I have a GQ with an altered winch mount but all done with the right bolts The strain is equal going forward so no probs so long as the bolts are rated!

regards...Robbie

4X4ROB
Driver/Navigator

Postby 4X4ROB » Mon May 30, 2005 8:53 pm

Actually I have a rope permanently connected to the factory front hook (GQ) and it has had a good few tugs on it...just it is so hard to get at!

Regards...Robbie

So are you a starter??? You will be OK whatever!

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Mon May 30, 2005 9:07 pm

Count me in.
Just need to organise time off work, or organise to meet on the Saturday if that would be ok.

Dave

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Mon May 30, 2005 9:21 pm

Hi dave,
A word on tyres, mike did all these tracks except waitahu on a set of very tame A/T's. On the coast thats all you need.
I have taken my Safari, only two weeks new to me, all the way to the hut at the end of the waitahu track on 31 X 10.5 firestone RV's. We all know how good those are.
Clearence in the rivers on the coast is the biggy. Waitahu is no exception. My sills under the chequre plate tell a sad tale of my brand new to me Safari and certain river crossing over to the old mine site. Go the 31's and stock springs.
If you do Napoleons hill in reverse you won't have a shit show on A/T's any time of year, but 4X4Rob'l tow ya up :wink:

I have my hooks mounted of either side off my winch extentions. If you can winch of them, you sure as hell can snatch of them.

A sneaky trick for a Safari with no snorkel (you have the TD42 right??) is to dissconect the plastic section from the air box to the resonator box at the resonator end by undoing the hose clamp. Run the plastic section back towards the fire wall so the water has to change direction to enter the air intake.
Saying that, you can ford pretty deep water with the standard set up.

You've gotta do it!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Mon May 30, 2005 9:31 pm

Got the holes for the snorkel, just havent got round to putting the crappy thing back on yet,and when I do, if its as good as it was, I better treat it as if it wasnt on :roll: (you remember the whole Airflow saga now dont you).
Have made an adapter, but will see how it goes.

Cheers,
Dave

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Mon May 30, 2005 9:55 pm

Yes. Damn things.
I resealed mine the other day. Go the Addos Galv-Bond :lol: :lol:

When i get up to hamilton im going to use reinforced air hose right from where the snorkel enters the gaurd to the air box. That should fix good.

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Tue May 31, 2005 10:34 am

Gidday, Bill, Al, Robbie, Adam, etc, Tim here, myself and Dad will be coming, in his truck at this stage. We are waiting for a locker to arrive for his front diff, so if that doesn\'t turn up by then I guess we\'ll be going in my Meccano set.
I hate signatures

4X4ROB
Driver/Navigator

Safari snorkel.

Postby 4X4ROB » Tue May 31, 2005 5:42 pm

No matter what set up you use, make sure you seal thoroughly round the joint back from the aircleaner. It usually has a huge gap!!

Regards...Robbie

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:22 am

Thanks for filling Dave in Robbie, sounds like his truck will be safe. As you say, you have to learn somewhere.
Dave, PRS would be good, we all have it. Makes the trip more fun, hanging shit on each other and for safety reasons. So far ( correct me if I am wrong) me, robbie, tim and rob, adam, dave, and billieboy(???). That's the waitahui over full so some one will be tenting or sleeping in truck. We could meet in Reefton friday luch (read pub lunch). We could organise to meet Dave at Reefton on saturday again as we have to go through it to get to Waipuna tunnels/naps hill. Lunch time would have to be the cut off though. Dave have you thought about buying any other brand of tyres. I have just got my second set of pirelli scorpion MT's and the new tread pattern is very aggressive. Got them at a good price as well. I swear the pirellis are bloody good tyres.
Al

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:23 am

Dave, where you based anyway???

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:30 pm

Al, I'm in Blenheim, so can get over there fairly early.
So is it camping Saturday night, or do I organise a Motel?

I was looking at the Scorpions, but a mate who is running them on his Hilux isn't too happy with the rate of wear.
Will look at a set of MTR's or BFG's, but may just go for the Dunlops to see how they go.

Of course, if I buy this rear diff lock I'm looking at, I may be running with these currnet tyres anyway, as the bank balance won't be looking too flash :cry:

Cheers,
Dave

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:52 pm

Hey dave if your looking for a diff lock, Ben from the Diff shop in Chch is heading over to the states in a week, he is trying to find a Detroit for my rear diff, but failing that he's shipping me back an ARB for the rear.
He's paying cash and bringing a container back, so it should be bloody cheap!!!
Lemme (PM)know if ya interested!!!
(before i get shot for thread jacking :shock: )

Return to “Planning a trip?”