Coromandle

mike
Last minute Mike

Coromandle

Postby mike » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:09 pm

Thinking of going up to the Coromandle for an explore around now that I've got the landrover going. Would possibly be an overnighter on a weekend. It would be good to hunt out some old gold mining ruins.

I'm looking at around in month or so. Has anyone done any trips similar to this? destinations? tracks?

If anyone is keen to come along or has any ideas of where the best place to go is just post.

Mike

hinsonberger
Bush Crasher

Coromandel Trip

Postby hinsonberger » Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:25 pm

Mike,

I'd be keen to meet up if you are doing a bit of a trip around the Coromandel, especially with me being in Thames, depending on the date & type of terrain covered.

Don't really have any helpful suggestions on where to go but I'm always keen on a bit of adventuring!!

Keep me posted!

Cheers
Ninety 2.5P
Discovery 300Tdi

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:17 pm

No worries, wasn't looking at anything to extreme as don't have a winch and the SATs are getting down abit. Plus judging by your pic I'm guessing you don't want any racing stripes :wink:

Thinking about the number 10 track in Andy Cockroft's book '80 offroad adventures north island' It's on the road between thames and pauanui.

Also I know of one other around there I think.

I'll give the thames club a call and find out some more info about the area as well.

Mike

hinsonberger
Bush Crasher

Postby hinsonberger » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:53 pm

Mike,

You judged correct!! My wife is a little concerned I am going to take our recently purchased Discovery & treat it like the SIIA I used to own!! Have to take it easy for awhile I guess :(

Good idea to call the Thames Valley & Whangamata clubs.

Cheers
Ninety 2.5P

Discovery 300Tdi

suzukisam
Driver/Navigator

Postby suzukisam » Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:08 pm

mike, all the tracks I've spied/tried off the kopu/hikuai road are either hard yakker or closed(bridges removed). E-mail me for specifics on which ones and where...
Lester

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:39 am

Is the kopu/hikuai road the one between Thames and Pauanui? If so then maybe you started up the tracks out of the book? Are these tracks as hard yakker as the thompsons track? Do you know of any others around tauranga besides the thompsons mud slog?

Mike

suzukisam
Driver/Navigator

coromandel

Postby suzukisam » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:07 am

yes the kopu hikuai road is the one between thames and pauanui. Yes the two that I have found on the southern side are hard mud plugs, especially at this time of year. Yes Thompsons is the only track that I know close to tga. The track in andy's book is now closed I think. There are more tracks towards rotorua I understand, best talk to the BOP club. I never joined it but know a member or two and contributed towards some of their thompsons track maintenance.
Cheers Lester

Return to “Planning a trip?”