Lada battery light illuminating

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Lada battery light illuminating

Postby SP450andLE » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:33 pm

After spending most of the long weekend at my Dad's farm in the Mud with the Lada, the battery light kept illuminating.

It would stay on if I had the choke on a bit, but come on intermittently when I wasn't using the choke.

On the Monday, it was on when I was using the choke (I had only just started the Lada) and the Lada stalled going up a slight bit of a hill. I checked all the battery connections, and they were ok, but it stalled another two times before I booted it to get up the hill.

It also sometimes stalls when I am revving it up in 2nd gear going through the mud.

I tightened the alternator (or is it a generator?) belt, but that hasn't helped.

Anyone know what is causing this?

I have only just got the thing road legal, and I'm determined to not miss out on any club runs... :wink: :roll: :lol:
tomsoffroad wrote:None of us know what we are doing really. But thats how you get experience.

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Re: Lada battery light illuminating

Postby Ralfie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:15 pm

sounds like you have a faulty alternator. Time to get checked properly or replaced.

meatc
Hard Yaka

Postby meatc » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:09 pm

Alt is stuffed. Diodes will be gone hence the faster you rev the brighter the light.

Not sure what engine you are running but if alt is stuffed and its injected it will die as the volts drop from no alt.

Solution to both NEW ALT
Toy - Zuk chassis tub, hilux 4.88 axles and transfer, Nissan CA18DE motor and auto trans, sc12 supercharger, 32 10'5 simex, twin motor 8274 custom freespool. Well the parts are all there in various corners of the shed

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Damn, that's what I thought it was (but REALLY didn't want to hear) :roll: :lol:

I think I have a spare alternator laying around...

Thanks for your help guys :mrgreen:
tomsoffroad wrote:None of us know what we are doing really. But thats how you get experience.

LOLYF
Hard Yaka

Postby LOLYF » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:13 pm

Check if its full of mud, I used to have to clean out my hilux alternator all the time. muddy water would make the brushes sticky, a quick strip and clean was all it took to get it working most of the time.

I got that quick at it i could pull it out strip and clean it and have it back in while everyone else had lunch :lol:

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:25 pm

LOLYF wrote:Check if its full of mud, I used to have to clean out my hilux alternator all the time. muddy water would make the brushes sticky, a quick strip and clean was all it took to get it working most of the time.

I got that quick at it i could pull it out strip and clean it and have it back in while everyone else had lunch :lol:

It appears to be ok, as not much mud has splashed into the engine bay (but I'm sure that when it does I will have to clean it heaps, 'cos it's in the most ridiculous place possible :roll: :lol: )

Nachoooo
Driver/Navigator

Postby Nachoooo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Guess this is kinda irrelevant now, but I had a similar problem. The battery wasn't charging and I got to the stage where the battery was too flat to supply power to the coil, thus no spark. All it turned out to be was a dislodged alternator fuse. Maybe something for future problem encounterer's to look for

ladeda
Hard Yaka

Postby ladeda » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:30 pm

sounds like the alt.
put a multimeter on the bat should be min of 13.4v any less and its not charging.
didnt you move yours to the left up high?
if you need it you can grab my old one, was working mint when I took it out.
keep in mind its the internaly regulated type which from memory is different to your externaly set up one, easy enough to change.
Any way if you want it let me know we can throw it in and strip and clean/check your other. I also have a spair that just needs some brushes and she all good.

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:30 pm

ladeda wrote:sounds like the alt.
put a multimeter on the bat should be min of 13.4v any less and its not charging.
keep in mind its the internaly regulated type which from memory is different to your externaly set up one, easy enough to change.
Any way if you want it let me know we can throw it in and strip and clean/check your other. I also have a spair that just needs some brushes and she all good.

look at the date of the original post Ladeda way back in 2011

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Sibainmud is fixing the alty up for me, we've also got to redo the wirin in the engine bay. So many people have played round with it it's hard to know what goes where now :roll: :lol:

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Postby sibainmud » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:29 pm

The brushes were totally worn out. The external regulator conversion was a bit dodgy to say the least. Soldered some wire onto the brush holder and threaded out the side of the housing. Now to hook it all up with a bit of splicing and dicing :lol:

Cheers,

P.S, Louis, will have some time to complete the project real soon :wink:
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

ladeda
Hard Yaka

Postby ladeda » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:35 pm

keithal wrote:
ladeda wrote:sounds like the alt.

look at the date of the original post Ladeda way back in 2011

ha ha true thanks :lol:

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:00 pm

sibainmud wrote:P.S, Louis, will have some time to complete the project real soon :wink:

Sweeeeeet. I'm even trying to save up so I can pay for the various bits I need.

Getting closer, getting closer......... 8)

Return to “Lada”