Niva won't run

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Niva won't run

Postby SP450andLE » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:31 pm

When I took the Lada offroad a little while ago, it broke. :evil:
It wouldn't rev, and when it did manage to rev, as soon as I went to move it would cough and stop.
I have now replaced the distributor cap, rotor, points ans condensor. I have also replaced the plug leads, spark plugs a reset the static timing.
It now starts, but only runs for a few seconds, then cuts out on its own. It cuts out quicker if I put my foot on the accelerator even a tiny little bit.
Why is it doing this?!
I'm sick of it! :roll:
tomsoffroad wrote:None of us know what we are doing really. But thats how you get experience.

pjb
Hard Yaka

Re: Niva won't run

Postby pjb » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Sounds little like fuel starvation? Fuel pump problem maybe? Blocked filter?
Just guessing here...
94 Pajero SWB, 3.5 V6

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Fuel is getting into the carb when I pump the accelerator, so all seems ok with that.
tomsoffroad wrote:None of us know what we are doing really. But thats how you get experience.

meatc
Hard Yaka

Postby meatc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:51 pm

Coil. Only part of the ignition you haven't replaced but a very likely suspect. They break down under load and can get worse witha bit of heat. New one would be my fix
Toy - Zuk chassis tub, hilux 4.88 axles and transfer, Nissan CA18DE motor and auto trans, sc12 supercharger, 32 10'5 simex, twin motor 8274 custom freespool. Well the parts are all there in various corners of the shed

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:09 pm

Nah, coil is fine.

I magically fixed it! I played around with everything, and it eventually started and ran well.

Just a few more tweaks with timing and fuel, and it should be sweet. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:43 pm

check how tight all the screws are on your carb sometimes they get loose and move around wearing in strange places which allows air to get in from the wrong places and totally upsets your air/fuel mixture
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:08 pm

I played around with everything, checking it all did what I imagine it should.

The float in the float chamber seemed to be a bit sticky, so played with that a bit, and it ran ok afterwards.

In fact, it ran really well considering how the plug leads on it at the moment are from my Mini... :lol:

If it plays up again, I may just get a weber carb, and be done with it... :mrgreen:

Return to “Lada”