Bighorn shocks into Taiga?

Nachoooo
Driver/Navigator

Bighorn shocks into Taiga?

Postby Nachoooo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:51 pm

I have found the standard shocks on a '91 Taiga to be pretty limiting with their length of travel and have wheel-off-the-ground scenarios multiple times a trip. I noticed the Bighorn shocks have both the eyes facing the same direction, like out Taiga's. Would this mean they are compatible? And has anyone done something like this before?

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Re: Bighorn shocks into Taiga?

Postby SP450andLE » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:33 pm

It's common for people to put different shocks in Ladas. I have also heard that Terrano shocks fit straight in.

Are you thinking of putting the longer shocks in both the front and the back?
tomsoffroad wrote:None of us know what we are doing really. But thats how you get experience.

Nachoooo
Driver/Navigator

Postby Nachoooo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Umm just longer shocks in the back, and taking out a few leaf's to loosen up the back and allow more articulation. Planning to put some cut HQ springs up front relatively soon, but no shocks there. Yet...

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Hmm ok.

It should be ok to fit the Bighorn shocks, just check that it doesn't hit anything, or put too much stress on anything else due to having more travel than other suspension components.
tomsoffroad wrote:None of us know what we are doing really. But thats how you get experience.

Nachoooo
Driver/Navigator

Postby Nachoooo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:57 pm

Okay cool, thanks for that. Oh and do you know if the Bighorn or Terrano shocks offer longer travel than the Niva/Taiga's?

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:02 pm

Nachoooo wrote:Okay cool, thanks for that. Oh and do you know if the Bighorn or Terrano shocks offer longer travel than the Niva/Taiga's?

Yeah, I know the Terrano ones do. That's due to them being longer than the Niva ones. Which makes me think something... I'm not sure if the Bighorn ones will fit on a standard height Taiga?

Not being familiar with the Taiga, I'm not sure what will and will not fit.

But you could always try, and just hope...

One thing you can do is borrow some shocks and see if they fit, if you know someone who may have some spares that they are willing to let you borrow (that's what I'm doing once I get my lift... :D ).

Nachoooo
Driver/Navigator

Postby Nachoooo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Right, yeah good idea, I might have to try and find someone who has some, if not my mate's a mechanic so he may have some lying around or something. Thanks for the idea!

Return to “Lada”