Carb leaking fuel/my lada hates me

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Carb leaking fuel/my lada hates me

Postby SP450andLE » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:06 pm

My Lada officially hates me.

I thought I was able to just bolt all the aircleaner etc back on (after I tune it) and get the brakes done.

But no.
It has decided to leak fuel from the carb.

It leaks from here somewhere:

Why is it doing this?

Can someone help/come around here and fix it/buy this thing for several thousand so I can get a better one :lol:
tomsoffroad wrote:None of us know what we are doing really. But thats how you get experience.

Lynx
Hard Yaka

Re: Carb leaking fuel/my lada hates me

Postby Lynx » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:37 pm

It looks like the accelerator pump. Id say the diaphram under the cover is shot.

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Accelerator is on the opposite side of the carb though... i.e. the RHS of the pic
tomsoffroad wrote:None of us know what we are doing really. But thats how you get experience.

SV1K
Site Admin

Postby SV1K » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:56 pm

If your lada hates you that much, sell the bloody thing as we are sick of seeing you always posting up that your lada hates you.

Buy a reliable truck that doesn't break down like your POS lada.

nzhunter
Hard Yaka

Postby nzhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:42 pm

suzuki1k wrote:If your lada hates you that much, sell the bloody thing as we are sick of seeing you always posting up that your lada hates you.

agree, maybe look at buying a zook or something, same price range SHITLOADS more reliable, easy to mod, cheap parts, go hard, you pick up a roadworthy one starting at about $1500

ladas are cheap for a reason....
Landy SIIa winch truck- 350 chev powered, cruiser axles, 36" simexs - classic goodness
Hilux KUN expedition ute with all the bling

rotordogg
Hard Yaka

Postby rotordogg » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:12 am

In defence of lada's mine's been really reliable, but I also know how to take care of them, fix them and treat them right...

I won't help this muppet fix his as he is an annoying muppet and also insults the previous owners of his ladas regularily and I know at least one of them is on this forum...
It's just more fun in a lada !!

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:37 am

lowl.
slam a fiat 8v w/ some dcoes on it in there and problem solved. alternatively, get a carb kit or an accelerator pump diaphragm from another carb. piece of piss.

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:52 am

I know of a 32/36 weber being put on one of these with great results. Just have to find a 2ltr Go-Tina and your in. :wink:

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:06 am

tomsoffroad wrote:I know of a 32/36 weber being put on one of these with great results. Just have to find a 2ltr Go-Tina and your in. :wink:

Local guy who comes out with us has done the same thing he has even found a pirfict fitting 90deg rubber mount to fit the air box off to the side on the guard and fit a snorkle.... big improvement you can see it in his grin :lol: :lol:

Said got the details off the internet, from the sound of it a nice detailed build

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:01 pm

rotordogg wrote:In defence of lada's mine's been really reliable, but I also know how to take care of them, fix them and treat them right...

I won't help this muppet fix his as he is an annoying muppet and also insults the previous owners of his ladas regularily and I know at least one of them is on this forum...

Ahh wrong Lada?

I'm talking about the standard one, not the Fiva.

But thanks for letting me know to avoid you from know on.

Oh, and seriously guys, I'm 18, so I'm still learning, and if you are gunna all be ####wits who just insult me, then so be it, I'll just ignore it.

suzuki1k wrote:If your lada hates you that much, sell the bloody thing as we are sick of seeing you always posting up that your lada hates you.

No. I've got the thing as a project, and we all have to start somewhere.
And If you don't want to see stuff about my Lada, don't look in this section, or better yet, add me as a "foe" - problem solved!

nzhunter wrote:agree, maybe look at buying a zook or something, same price range SHITLOADS more reliable, easy to mod, cheap parts, go hard, you pick up a roadworthy one starting at about $1500

ladas are cheap for a reason....

No. My brother has a Zuk, and I definitely don't want one right now.

Cameron wrote:lowl.
slam a fiat 8v w/ some dcoes on it in there and problem solved. alternatively, get a carb kit or an accelerator pump diaphragm from another carb. piece of piss.

I already have one with a Fiat engine in it.

And to the others, I may be getting a weber for it, from some nice chap in England who has offered me one for the price of postage only.

Now thanks to those of you who have tried to help.

But to those of you who were just dicks, it's quite ashaming to think that people who should be united by 4wding are bitching like 8-year-old girls who all think their particular barbie doll is the best.

It's people like you who make me realise why other forums seem so much better at times (no offence Mike, I think you do a great job).

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:27 pm

i love it when every now and then some guy turns up here and rubs a whole lot of different people (who dont even know each other) the wrong way and thinks the problem must be with everyone else. Ever thought your the only thing they have in common and the problem might be with you?

Your 18, really want to learn aye? maybe a bit more listening might help? If you know it all and your opinion is the only one that matters what are you doing on here and how do you expect to learn and have others give up valuable time to help you?

Nice attitude mate :roll:
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experiance!

LOLYF
Hard Yaka

Postby LOLYF » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

rangimotors wrote:

So when someone asks a genuine question, with a bit of humour thrown in and gets replies like this:

you assume the original poster has the bad attitude?

This place gets more like Pirate4x4 every day :roll:

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:22 pm

rangimotors wrote:i love it when every now and then some guy turns up here and rubs a whole lot of different people (who dont even know each other) the wrong way and thinks the problem must be with everyone else. Ever thought your the only thing they have in common and the problem might be with you?

Your 18, really want to learn aye? maybe a bit more listening might help? If you know it all and your opinion is the only one that matters what are you doing on here and how do you expect to learn and have others give up valuable time to help you?

Who said I don't listen?

I listen to those who give reasonable suggestions.

If my opinion is the only one that matters, why do I ask questions?

I'm on here to learn things, and get in contact with people who have the same interests, and I don't think my opinion id the only one that matters, quite the opposite in fact.

I always listen to others, and if what they're saying is reasonable, I thank them for it, and use the new-found knowledge to help myself.

Now I'm sorry if you didn't understand that, but you obviously don't know me very well.

Oh, and thanks for that Lolyf, nice to see someone has the courage to point out who is wrong. :D Makes a nice change from all the negativity we so often see... :roll:

Hoodoo
Bush Crasher

Postby Hoodoo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:13 am

And back to the original question! As previously said, that is the accelerator pump, and there is probably a shot diaphragm behind the cover. Careful stripping it down - springs etc.!
Regards,
Hoodoo

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:46 am

Yeah, I pulled it out and the diaphragm was split in several places - I'll probably get a carb rebuild kit and do everything at once - especially seeing as I have been told that the previous owner actually put the carb on round the wrong way! :lol:

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:22 am

Hey man, keep it up. I went through the same process to learn as you are doing. I've owned many older vehicles that required lots of work but I learn't a lot of what I know through the repair process and I wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it again.

It is hard when you have to fix a job that someone has not done correctly, but I always tell myself that everyone works differently. It's hard to hear it over my swearing sometimes. I now try and avoid buying a vehicle that has been badly molested, but its hard to do on a budget.

The carb kit is a good idea, I try to stick to the motto of do it once do it right.

Try a fuel injected vehicle at some stage, I find them very easy to maintain and have good reliability (if it's been looked after).

Keep it up.

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Fuel injection?
What is this thing you speak of? :lol:

Yeah, someday I might get a fuel injected Lada (maybe even one of the brand new ones - that'd be awesome!) :D :lol:

Or maybe a Zuk with a fuel-injected motorbike engine.

That would also be awesome.

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Fuel injection is black magic my witch doctor tells me.

I don't think you can legaly use 'lada' and 'fuel injection' in the same sentence... :lol:

Hoodoo
Bush Crasher

Postby Hoodoo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:28 am

Yes you can! :D It was )is) fitted to the 1.7 Nivas. Early models have the GM single point system. Mine (2003 model) has the Bosch sequential injection system. As you say, much better than a carb any day!!
Regards,
Hoodoo

taz01
Tazzles

Postby taz01 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:24 am

with all the stress this dog is causing you dude id suggest leave the fuel leek alone soak up the fuel with a rag jammed under the carby and toss a match at it ........wah la problem solved barks like a dog WOOF... :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
WARNING:
Insanity has replaced reason in the modification of this vehicle

you can follow me, but its gunna hurt

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:25 am

Yeah, funny.

I'd rather do that that to a Nissan. 'Voila.' :P

Drurban
Hard Yaka

Postby Drurban » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:18 am

Just keep plugging at it everyone has there Issues like myself :roll: but not as many as you tho, like someone in this post said you only learn from doing it yourself, and what you have done is like a big achievement in itself.
1997 Isuzu Mu, 3.1TD, 5sp Manual.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:03 pm

Keep at it Dude. Never be afraid to ask questions (just do a search first) as we a all learn from the responses.

My "modern" diesel prado has been a monster with the amount of money I have spent on it (Luck of the draw I guess - should've bought the petrol V6 - bloody hindsight eh!!) and the only way to avoid this stuff is to buy new and then that's no guarantee either. And yes I grumble a bit about it, but I figure that if I can help someone else who has the same issues in the future then bugger the naysayers. Like you I am not ready to give up on my wagon, because everything I fix puts it closer to where I want it to be reliability wise. Sometimes you have to spend money and time on ya wheels (come on who here hasnt) and the great thing is that you are learning as you go. Wish I had more room and confidence to tackle the issues I have with my wagon instead of paying someone else to deal with it. I guess as its my daily drive I feel its better for someone else to do things right the first time than me bungle my way through things. Give me some time when I find an apprenticeship and I'll feel a little more confident.

We never stop learning unless we close our minds to new things.

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Yeah, I usually try things if I have time, and if I believe I can do it without making matters worse :lol:

Turns out a whole carb kit will cost over 2 hundy, so way too much for me.
I'm getting just the accelerator pump diaphragm, so hopefully the other seals etc won't crap out now :roll: :lol:

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:47 pm

there shouldn't be many other seals in there. the diaphragm is impossible to make yourself but you can cut out the cover gaskets and stuff.
Last time I made a top cover gasket for a carb I used a cocopops box. rangimods ftw :)

SP450andLE
Hard Yaka

Postby SP450andLE » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Seriously? A Cocopops box? Oh wow, not even I would think of doing that! :lol:

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:06 am

SP450andLE wrote:But to those of you who were just dicks, it's quite ashaming to think that people who should be united by 4wding are bitching like 8-year-old girls who all think their particular barbie doll is the best.

It's people like you who make me realise why other forums seem so much better at times (no offence Mike, I think you do a great job).

I agree.
Then you read of other people spending $1000s on their vehicles and think nothing of it and try to bag others because they have not done the same or have not got the same vehicle as them or think their vehicle is better than yours.
Last i heard god gave each of us free will.
Look at the attitudes when Jap vehicles first came into the country when all that people had was Vauxhalls, Austins, MG, Ford etc.
Why own a vehicle that costs plenty of $$ to fix when it breaks, full servicing costs can be big dollars (some trucks run 11 ltrs of oil!).
Rego and ruc can be $$ because of the weight of the truck.
A Niva is cheap to buy, reasonably cheap to maintain and service and can be fixed on the side of the road if necessary.
Why i think the Niva is bagged is because you have Jock Strap who gets into a Niva and drives the bejesus out of it because of some other clown has told him Niva's are shite (and believes him without finding out for himself if they are or not) and so expects it to break and when it does because he was driving it stupidly and trying to break it spouts to all and sundry that he thinks they are shite because he broke it
Any vehicle can break driven madly (sometimes gently), but with the Niva is the abilty to fix it yourself at reasonable cost if/when it does break.
This i think is getting even more important with the cost of living going up.
Such is the cost of the cold war i guess at the cost of Lada.

Whatever, i am happy to do all the servicing, modifying and what not to my Niva for cheap and the simple joy of it.
I have a thick skin, have heard all the jokes and have pulled stuck safaris with supposedly all the 4x4 goodies fitted to it out of ditches (stuck there i might add because of the guys ego)
If you have an issue with a Lada Niva it's your issue not mine.
Mine has never failed to get me home, once even when it broke the rubber drive donut between the g/box output and t/case input and i did not realise what had broke and after a full day 4x4ing i got it home and checked it to discover bits missing.
Anything that has broken has been what i had done/modified etc.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:50 am

:lol: the fact you wasted the time to put up that rant shows you don't have thick skin
Giving shit is a kiwi thing, give it back :lol:
I've got 2 lada's (neither running!) and very really do my mates give me shit.... because I give it right back

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:22 pm

De-Ranged wrote::lol: the fact you wasted the time to put up that rant shows you don't have thick skin
Giving shit is a kiwi thing, give it back :lol:
I've got 2 lada's (neither running!) and very really do my mates give me shit.... because I give it right back

lying bastard, i give you shit probably every time i see you :lol:

not that it bothers you in the slightest though....... :roll:
Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Nivapulledout
Hard Yaka

Postby Nivapulledout » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:54 am

I had the same accelerator pump leak when I had my petrol engine, found it just before I did thomo's track!!! pulled out the 4 screw that hold the diaphragme in and used two bits of shopping bag plastic over the diaphram. was only ment to let me do the day but ended up lasting a year before it started leaking again.

Ladas are cheap to buy ,Cheap to fix, get cheap comments but the look on the same wankers face when you get up the hill his "proper 4x4" could not "PRICELESS"

Return to “Lada”