Del Fuego's Lada

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Re: Del Fuego's Lada

Postby Del Fuego » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Always good to have a "parts pool" as such, will keep an eye out for those bits for ya if I go out there dustin :)

ladeda
Hard Yaka

Postby ladeda » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:16 pm

^^^ agreed the more spairs we can collect the better i recon,
cos itll stop us all from using the excuse of "I dont want to break it" when challenged. :lol: :lol:

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:20 pm

I spent about two hours (rain stopped play) patching previously cut holes and cutting new ones (stupid rust) my welding is still shit... but I have a grinder lol.

Doubt it will actually be ready for this pig farm trip but I am gonna give it a shot.

Pics of holes

New holes:

Old hole fixed (well getting there)

ladeda
Hard Yaka

Postby ladeda » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:49 pm

comitment nice work
how the filter box work out?

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Tue May 01, 2012 3:21 pm

I will have to lift the bonnet and have a closer look but unfortunately I think it is identical to the one I already have :(

ladeda
Hard Yaka

Postby ladeda » Wed May 02, 2012 9:53 am

really? :?

urs in da pic looks to be pointing towards the front of the veh.??
da one I gave ya points to the right.
bugger. sorry m8 :oops:

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Running and driving yet?

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:13 pm

um... has been neither touched or looked at lol, have been busy organising and shooting a pilot for a new series for the last month so just havent had any time at all, am hoping next weekend will see progress begin again as there isn't actually all that much left to do.

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:53 pm

I swear to god if this ####### thing was insured I would have had a "Welding Accident" today and the whole thing would have been up in flames!!!! FUUUUUUUUUUU

Story goes: Sunny day and no other shit to do for a change, patched up some rust that I had been meaning to, cut some stuff off... all in all relatively productive... thought "hmmm, will crawl underneath and have a look at the swaybar thing I am supposed to take off... grab under the sill to pull myself under the truck... hmmm that feels a bit soft... screwdriver... poke, poke, poke.... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Yup, entire inner sill(?)/rail is essentially gone... odd thing is the outer sill (the white you can see through the hole) is 100% mint... very confused and very pissed off...

Other side is ok, small hole that's easy to fix.

So, Can I cut all this crap out and weld in a section of 50x50x3mm box section? what is the best way to fix/does someone want to donate me a 4x4 from somewhere other than russia?

Cry, yell, tantrum... coffee/cigarette... slowly calming down.

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Del Fuego wrote:I what is the best way to fix/does someone want to donate me a 4x4 from somewhere other than russia?

dont get me wrong mate I dont want to sound like I'm knocking your truck or anything but that things so rotton there cant be any strength and structural integrity left in it its a death trap in the waiting. I know its a good learning curve to play around with the welder rebuilding shit but honestly that things so far past its use by date you'd be far better off looking for another whole lada or shell to swap all your stuff onto and make up a reasonable (and safe :P ) road legal one and you'll probably end up with a reasonable heap of spares to keep you running for a bit while your busy snotting the thing around the tracks breaking shit Image

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Welding in a piece of box isn't going to be easy.... its the thin to thick that is the catch you need enough heat to melt into the box but problem is, this is too much heat for the sheet metal
on the outside your all good just angle your torch towards the box and "sweep" the weld pool onto the sheet :lol: not as easy as it sounds, but with a bit of practice you'll get it :wink:
The real hard part is doing it under the truck on the inside... near on impossible to angle the torch to the right angle...
I'd recomend using a couple of stips of rectangular box side by side (so wide enough to go from outside the sill to the flat section of floor inside of the curved bit on the sill)
Then you cut the floor and weld it to the box from inside the cab (weld short sections then tap the next bit down with a hammer till it touches the box, nice en easy)

If you run it to the guard arches then it will add so much strength its silly

Now for the catch if your truck is legal your going to need cert sills on a uni-body are structural

ladeda
Hard Yaka

Postby ladeda » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Id unfortunatly and regatably would be inclined to agree with sadam mate. :(
recon she might be a bit far gone and youll probably be forever chasing the rust. :x
ladas come in two styles rusting and rusted. yours looks to be the latter. no doubt if your comited and have alot of welding wire and grinding discs anything is possible. and problems create oppertunities :D ie reinforced cills .

I recon strip it dump it and find another shell thats in better shape. they are still a fun vehicle drive to own and easy to work on and cheep enough to find another when this sorta shit happen. hey at least ya know what to look out for when getting the next oneif ya decide to go that way.11

Nivapulledout
Hard Yaka

Postby Nivapulledout » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:23 am

never too far gone bro and you have already done the main places nivas rust out in, sills, bottom of A pillar and at the rear.

Cut it out and put in box section as per De_ranged advice. and you will be able to High lift it off the sills after that as well.

My sills are perfect but I am still going to cut them out and put in rectangular box section to make inbuilt sliders and to allow the High lift to go on any part of it.

Nothing to lose as mig wire is cheep and it is real good way to learn to weld panel. if you give up after that then find a new body.

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Many thanks for all the replies and suggestions, i will just sit on it for a few days then see what I'm feeling... I will have another real good look around it and see if I can find any other major areas, I don't look forward to starting from scratch with another body but if that's what I have to do. If this is the worst of it then I may just have a play/weld/hammer and see what the result is like, I have plenty of mig wire and practice is all good. Truck is never gonna be road legal so as long as it is strong enough I will be happy... will have a ponder in any case :)

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:28 pm

hmm, more homework brings up this http://www.lada.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p ... ion#p49896

Looks fairly effective... will continue with my pondering lol

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Slowly making progress, no pics cos I'm slack but getting there with the chassis reinforcement for the recovery hooks... would hate for something like this to happen: lol

ladeda
Hard Yaka

Postby ladeda » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm

haha yep thats why you dont use the factory tie down points to recover from. :lol: :lol: seen a few vids of ppl doing the same thing and it ends the same way every time.....

good to hear your still at it tho. le me know if you wana get any parts from ladaworld so we can combine postage, as im puting in a order soonish.

keep at it :D

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:50 pm

sweet, might grab a couple of the spring spacers they do but let me know when you are due to place the order and i will confirm and flick you some moolah :)

baxter
Hard Yaka

Postby baxter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Have a look at the box section replacement sills on my site (half way down this page http://ladaniva.co.uk/baxter/resources/SillGuards.htm, pretty sure one of those guys did a write up on http://www.lada.co.uk forum). It's probably less work than repairing such badly rusted sills, and an hell of an upgrade.
Last edited by baxter on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Niva 1600, Weber & 2" lift
Baxter's Niva Site: www.ladaniva.co.uk/baxter
If you do not have anything to occupy yourself - buy a Niva.

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Yeah I had a look at those, I like the idea, just have to get my head around how to actually do it... despite the fairly accurate descriptions I still don't really have it straight in my head lol

baxter
Hard Yaka

Postby baxter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Have a look at the linkys under each one - there should be a link to write ups on a couple of them.

Ahma's on lada.co.uk and would be more than happy to answer questions etc about doing it.

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:13 am

Awesome thanks for that, looks like I have a super helpful and much more qualified welder than I keen to give me a hand with it so looks like more progress shall happen soonest :D

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Looks like I will have a new set of sills in the next few weeks which will be grand. In the meantime I figured I should chop some more things...

So made a start on trimming the guards, cut the first one up went moderately well... managed to go through both skins which I wasn't intending but I am most of the way through rejoining them and the extra clearance looks good. Then I ran out of wire... anyone know what a good brand of flux core mig wire is/best place to get it?

anyway, before and after:

ladeda
Hard Yaka

Postby ladeda » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:47 pm

looking good, Iv done the fronts on mine so far, easy as to do with a nibler and soft hammer and heat gun.
Waiting to get some tyres till I do the rear, cos after roughly bashing them back Iv noticed the reear of the arch still hits and needs alot of triming. tyre fully cross axel it and ull see if it still hits.... I want your rims :twisted: any idea what there off. :D

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:15 am

Cheers man, should give plenty of clearance now, especially once a bit of lift is added. was a bit more complex than I had anticipated as I wasn't aiming to separate the skins but it seems to do the job so will do the same on the other side with a bit more method/ability to weld from above lol.

No idea what the wheels are off.. presumably a vitara of some variety, bought em off Zukmeista so he may know...

more cutting discs and welding wire ordered so will try and get the other side done on the weekend

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:46 am

ladeda wrote: I want your rims :twisted: any idea what there off. :D

They are 16" SJ413 rims, Mudbits has them http://www.mudbits.co.nz
These ones are special though as they have been widened. :wink:

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:04 am

The back arch is a bit of a bugger the way the inner lip curves down, you going to put the guard lip back on like I'm doing?

Cheers Reece

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:13 pm

zukmeista wrote:
ladeda wrote: I want your rims :twisted: any idea what there off. :D

They are 16" SJ413 rims, Mudbits has them http://www.mudbits.co.nz
These ones are special though as they have been widened. :wink:

Cheers for the update :D

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:16 pm

De-Ranged wrote:The back arch is a bit of a bugger the way the inner lip curves down, you going to put the guard lip back on like I'm doing?

Cheers Reece

Yeah it is a bit of a nuisance but after doing the first one I think I have it figured out. with some slots cut you can make it come together also I am cutting the outer skin a little higher than the inner, that way I can run a weld from the outside which makes it much easier to work with.

Not planning on putting the lip back on, will just flare it as much as I can and then likely run a rubber seal of some sort along it so as not to have sharp edges :)

Hoodoo
Bush Crasher

Postby Hoodoo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:41 am

You've had enough time - how's it coming on? :D
Regards,

Return to “Lada”