buying

4x4man
Hard Yaka

buying

Postby 4x4man » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:05 pm

wondering what are these 4wds like ???
are they very reliable and would it be hard to do an engine swap ????
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =992088526

thanks

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: buying

Postby BlakeNZ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:39 pm

these are mechanically reliable(admittedly they are 30 years old now though) HOWEVER the biggest reason you don't see many good ones around anymore is they tended to suffer rust.
This example looks pretty good, and to find one that can do 110km/h is rare, as they seemed pretty short geared to me, even when newish.
Lots of engine options, so if you are handy with a spanner and keen to have a go, grab this one (depending on what the auction runs up to- can't pay too much when you have plenty of expense ahead of you. in terms of engine transplant)and have a conversation starter for the rest of the time you own it.
Be aware the engine bay is fairly short(the whole thing is short) so you can forget shoehorning a straight six in there. Surprisingly, the UK guys like putting in Pugeot 1.9 turbo diesels. French cars are generally unreliable, however that little motor is a trooper, capable of high mileage. I guess i said "surprisingly" because its natural habitat is in a front wheel drive car.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:44 pm

Junk :D

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:05 pm

So is any vehicle if you don't maintain it, the Lada likes a little more maintenance (read more finickity on some adjustments etc, it certainly is not a japanese vehicle in that regard) than most but is generally reliable.

Return to “Lada”