who roled in chch today

Genie4x4
Driver/Navigator

who roled in chch today

Postby Genie4x4 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:35 pm

Just noticed that someone rolled in chch everyone aright?

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Re: who roled in chch today

Postby tallsam66 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:45 pm

The bodies of two teenagers were found in an overturned vehicle at Waikuku, 9km east of Rangiora, early on Saturday.

Two dead after central Canterbury crash

Police have named the pair as Jamie Alex O'Reilly and Anthony Charles Jenkins, both aged 17.

Detective Sergeant Rex Barnett, of Rangiora police, said a fisherman discovered the vehicle on a river track near Geisha Road, which runs along the bank of the Ashley River, at 6am.

He found the body of one youth inside the vehicle, which had apparently rolled, while police found the body of the second victim nearby.

It appeared that the vehicle, which had been modified by having its roof cut off, had hit a small bank, and overturned.

Mr Barnett said anyone who knew anything about the movements of the vehicle should contact Rangiora police station 03 3136167.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4731828a11.html

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:53 pm

that just so sad man,still kids eh
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

Genie4x4
Driver/Navigator

Postby Genie4x4 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:54 pm

Were they forum members?

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:08 pm

Genie4x4 wrote:Were they forum members?

No idea...id like to see pics if anyone can find any

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:10 pm

Names are not familiar to me. Its a very accessible part of the river there as its right by SH1. I'd say they were locals having a play - most likely quite innocently. A fair bit of that goes on around there due to the type of area it is with middle income type people and practical rural backgrounds.

I just always hope these type of incidents don't tighten up areas and freedoms but at the same time that people can also learn from them.

I feel for the families.
Sold my 1985, BJ74 MWB Landcruiser, rear locker, 33" MTs, snorkel, PTO winch, solid bars all round, spotties, AM CB etc.
Now just a 1994, 1kz Surf, pretty standard.

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:20 pm

saw it on the news tonight

a grey/matt black surf minus the fibreglass roof

the reporter stated that it had rolled down a bank, although you couldn't see a bank on the news

sad all round really :(
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:23 pm

Sold my 1985, BJ74 MWB Landcruiser, rear locker, 33" MTs, snorkel, PTO winch, solid bars all round, spotties, AM CB etc.

Leithfield
Hard Yaka

Postby Leithfield » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:02 am

A tragedy, and my heart goes out to the families and friends. Unfortunately too, such incidents only serve to hasten the pace of regulated access as risk averse, but well intentioned, local authorities try and moderate foolishness.

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:33 am

With out being hurtful or wishing to sound calious & also not wanting to cause offence its another case of natural selection.

Some people do stupid things & then get caught out very badly & suffer the severe consequences of there stupidity.in this case they were killed.

Operating any vehicle with out some form of rollover protect (roof, rool cage or loops )is not clever.

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:59 am

I agree tallsam66, as soon as I saw that cab top had been removed I could see the issue. I'd feel too uncomfortable in a vehicle with no roll protection.

I wonder if there would be any point or value in the 4wd community doing 'something' to put a face in to show condolences but also responsible behaviour. Any ideas?

All I can think of is contacting the local paper which no doubt will be having a write up and getting some comments in to express the enjoyment but also the safety needed for the sport. I'd say they would take that on.

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:40 am

fweddy wrote:I agree tallsam66, as soon as I saw that cab top had been removed I could see the issue. I'd feel too uncomfortable in a vehicle with no roll protection.

I wonder if there would be any point or value in the 4wd community doing 'something' to put a face in to show condolences but also responsible behaviour. Any ideas?

All I can think of is contacting the local paper which no doubt will be having a write up and getting some comments in to express the enjoyment but also the safety needed for the sport. I'd say they would take that on.

gotta be real careful there fweddy

its all good trying to put our sport/pastime in the public eye and promote safety etc etc

but the public who know little about how a 4wd works etc etc, can read into it differently, and then all it takes is one person whos clever with words to post a reply and get the whole community anti 4wds again

in most instances it seems better to sit back and watch rather than put your 2c in and get blasted for it

in saying that, this is only my 2c

SKID
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

gimmemud
Hard Yaka

Postby gimmemud » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:01 pm

skid wrote:saw it on the news tonight

a grey/matt black surf minus the fibreglass roof

the reporter stated that it had rolled down a bank, although you couldn't see a bank on the news

sad all round really :(

Looks like they'd cut the cab off as well not just the fiberglass roof

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:11 pm

fweddy wrote:I agree tallsam66, as soon as I saw that cab top had been removed I could see the issue. I'd feel too uncomfortable in a vehicle with no roll protection.

I think in this instance its best to say nothing....its rather obvious that the people involved werent 4wders....just some kids going for hoon

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:07 pm

skid wrote:

gotta be real careful there fweddy

its all good trying to put our sport/pastime in the public eye and promote safety etc etc

but the public who know little about how a 4wd works etc etc, can read into it differently, and then all it takes is one person whos clever with words to post a reply and get the whole community anti 4wds again

in most instances it seems better to sit back and watch rather than put your 2c in and get blasted for it

in saying that, this is only my 2c

SKID

You are absolutely right Skid.
Lets say nothing except perhaps to offer our sympathies.

In open forum, I will not say a helluva lot more. There are FOUR grieving parents out there, who, no doubt, are wishing that they had their sons back. Also probably asking them selves what they could have done to prevent it.

Its far too easy to say too much and thereby making the parents feel worse, and ourselves look like heartless people.
My sympathies go out to the parents, there, but for the grace of God, go I.

Here speaks a father who'se son rides a ZX10 kwaka.......

dazza85
Hard Yaka

Postby dazza85 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:08 pm

Copied from the above links so that it stays available

A Canterbury fisherman was met with a gruesome sight early this morning - an upside down vehicle and the bodies of two teenagers.

The cut-down Toyota Surf they were travelling in apparently rolled down a bank near the Ashley River in North Canterbury. Police believe removing the vehicle's cab made it highly dangerous.

"With that sort of vehicle involved in a roll-over type accident, they've got no protection at all, once that's happened," says Sergeant Rene Pabst, "and with what's happened that's more than likely to have contributed to their deaths."

The vehicle did not have rollbars either, so the youths, both local, had no protection when it rolled over.

Police are not sure what time the accident happened, but the vehicle was cold when it was found at 6am this morning.

They say it was not up to standard, and will investigate whether it was registered and had a warrant.

"It's an absolute tragedy," says Sgt Pabst. "Two young men have lost their lives and their families will be absolutely devastated by this."

My sympathies go out to the parents, there, but for the grace of God, go I.

Maybe we can get this moved to the safety section so that all us newbees can learn from it
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Postby 308 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:12 pm

This whole accident is such a waste of two kids lives,one of them was my wifes step brothers best mate .I see every one talking about the no roof or cage thing, well the biggest shame is that the vehicle was to be fitted with a rollcage this very weekend! Obiously they couldent wait, we've all done it, saddley it was a fatal mastake. Regards matt.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:33 pm

No, we havent all done it.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:55 pm

ok, but we've all done things that we looked back on and thought "that wasn't so bright"

2 kids died. That sucks. Hope they were having fun.

Chopper01
Rock God

Postby Chopper01 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:30 am

308 wrote:This whole accident is such a waste of two kids lives,one of them was my wifes step brothers best mate .I see every one talking about the no roof or cage thing, well the biggest shame is that the vehicle was to be fitted with a rollcage this very weekend! Obiously they couldent wait, we've all done it, saddley it was a fatal mastake. Regards matt.

there is no way I would have taken a rig out with no roof on it or let anyone I know do it its a death wish , its just so stupid and they payed the big price for cheap thrills :( :( :( its so sad to loose a coupple of young guys but they should have just waited

Steve_t647
Hard Yaka

Postby Steve_t647 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:00 pm

308 wrote:This whole accident is such a waste of two kids lives,one of them was my wifes step brothers best mate .I see every one talking about the no roof or cage thing, well the biggest shame is that the vehicle was to be fitted with a rollcage this very weekend! Obiously they couldent wait, we've all done it, saddley it was a fatal mastake. Regards matt.

We all as a 4wd community feel for you, the family members and those affected (like the fisherman, the boy's friends and police), it is tragic and we all will be able to remember doing stupid things and getting away with it. I have gone 4wding on my own and not told people where I am going and gone hunting and changed where I was going on the way without telling anyone.

Seeing what has happened to these young guy's is tragic and they have shown or taught everyone something and it is that life is precious and very fragile, safe offroading is not "we made it" but making sure we all have the correct recovery points and equipment to make sure we do.

We as a community have lost other people in the sport/hobby in accidents and all you can take from this is that they were doing what they enjoyed.
Legal disclaimer: Any information I may have provided is worth exactly what you paid me for it.

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Re: who rolled in chch today

Postby SMOKEY » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:17 pm

Well said Steve, My thoughts and condolences are with the families and friends. Lets judge others as we wish to be judged ourselves.

THERE BY THE GRACE OF GOD GO I,

FITZY.

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”