anybody done this spring mod?

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

anybody done this spring mod?

Postby J_Dub » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:06 pm

I went and saw a eng/fab this morning and talked about getting some work done on my 60 surf, those of you in Auckland may know him, Bernie from Counties/Manukau 4x4. Now i was considering the Falcoon spring swap, seems to be the way to go on these solid axle surfs. Though he had never done it to a truck so he suggested a couple other mods which sounded bloody good. Now i 4got the correct names of the parts/mods, but he said once i buy a full set of raised springs and some good long travel shocks, you can fit a double shackle thingy (double jointed) :lol: which when you need drop it basically gives you double of what the standard shackle would.
Then one other common quick mod is mounting part of the old spring with the shackle end mount to the chassis, so that the shackle mount is still in the same place, but the fixed point is approx 300mm forward, so everything still sits relatively the same, but the shackle isnt fixed at the point, its got that much more flex/drop from that length of spring. May all sound a fit confusing, but i hope that if someone has had this done they know what im talking about, so it would be good to hear some feedback on this mod, how good is it? what are those double shackle things called and could i see some pics of it???
Cheers in advance

Genie4x4
Driver/Navigator

Re: anybody done this spring mod?

Postby Genie4x4 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:40 pm

They are called drop shackles www.superiorengineering.com.au, they work a treat, use just on rear, will have to match the shock to the drop or your shocks wont let the shackle open. will also need to change rear brake lines and possible modify hand brake cable, May look expensive but worth every cent,

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:52 pm

cheers mate, yip thats the name, they sound like the go, easy and damn effective, just tryna find some pics or feedback of the reversed spring shackle hanger setup

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:57 pm

89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:54 pm

The first is an expanding shackle great suspension movement but they dont seem to have a great following here. the shackles opening can make the vehicle unpredictable. some variations are straight sissor type and the swivel expanding type (which are supposed to be better on the leaf springs)

The second is a three quarter eliptical (or buggy leaf i think) suspension.

Don't discount the coon springs idea some swear by them (although the other systems will have followers also) but require some fabrication and of course certification. Although the other two will need cert also but just bolt in.

Remember as previously mentioned it is usually the shocks that limit flex and when they are lenghthened so must the brake lines, handbrake cables and if fitted load sensing proportioning valve arms. problem is when you fit longer shocks the std mounting positions are usually not right for the extra length so more fabrication hassles (and of course cert).

Heath

Genie4x4
Driver/Navigator

Postby Genie4x4 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:06 pm

Shackles dont make heavy vehicles unstable, when they were first tried on the sj zuks they had issues because under acceleration they would open because the vehicle had no weight or if braking hard down hill they could open if the vehicle was on a steep enough angle. If anything they make a vehicle more stable by keeping the wheels on the ground giving traction, I ran them for two years on a landcruiser no issues, my mate has had them on his for two years with no issues both were runnning superior shackles, straight drop shackles put too much stress on spring bushes and wear them out, had the climax ones before i went to superior, with superior you can pin them closed if you require.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:05 am

cheers guys real helpful, idealy, yes i would want to do the coon spring conversion, after seeing so many on here that are getting wicked flex, and swear buy it, but end of the day im not building an extreme rock crawler or i dont need a real competitive truck, and if i was to do it, i would definately want it done by someone who has done it before. so many mods.... so litle patience :)

MATT4U
Hard Yaka

Postby MATT4U » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:29 am

the coon conversion is easy, another advantage of coons is a better ride, you will need to go wide axel in the back at the same time.
what about going coil, get a coil surf rear axel and coil mounts off the chassie. make the arms a bit longer and throw that in.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:34 pm

trust me, ide do the coon swap in a second if there was someone local who said "yip ive done it before, its easy and gave me a price" i dont want to spend a hell of alot a money eitha, though i want it a comfortable daily driver so it is worth spending good coin on something that will last and keep me satisfied. Still shopping round, so if anyone knows someone in Auckland that has done the coon swap let me know

Genie4x4
Driver/Navigator

Postby Genie4x4 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:45 pm

just put drop shackles in then if you want it as a daily driver, they dont need certifying

gimmemud
Hard Yaka

Postby gimmemud » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:58 pm

I'd say go the coon spring cause it moves the front axle forward as well i think which centres the wheels to the guards. I've got lifted springs, drop shackles, 50mm body lift and front axle moved forward 30mm and have no rub with 35s... well i wouldn't if i could just leave my front guards nice and straight. if you want you can have a peek at mine as i'm kinda close, but i didn't do it myself, i bought it like that.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:22 pm

sweet mate, could be a plan, will keep shoping around with the coon swap otherwise, yes i will probably look to the drop shackels with the raised springs, are you happy with the flex you get?

gimmemud
Hard Yaka

Postby gimmemud » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:25 pm

J_Dub wrote:sweet mate, could be a plan, will keep shoping around with the coon swap otherwise, yes i will probably look to the drop shackels with the raised springs, are you happy with the flex you get?

Definately happy with the flex i get, have got it on some very nice angles with all wheels still on the floor :D :D

haynzy
Hard Yaka

Postby haynzy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:29 pm

the drop shackles will not give you any up travel only down travel which will not improve the ride, also you kinda lose the point of a solid axle as although you have fark loads of travel you wont get positive pressure on both wheels
my 2c
swb lux with 7mge, trailgear crossover, trailgear rear lift kit, custom front bar, runva 1200lb winch, custom snorkel, 37" Mtrs, custom deck, lockright in the rear.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:32 pm

and hows its road manners? not sure if you driven a 60 with its factory setup but they harsh as on the road, feels like you driveing something a couple inches off the ground, bumpy as. mite have to get ya to email me some pics of your setup

haynzy
Hard Yaka

Postby haynzy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:35 pm

J_Dub wrote:and hows its road manners? not sure if you driven a 60 with its factory setup but they harsh as on the road, feels like you driveing something a couple inches off the ground, bumpy as. mite have to get ya to email me some pics of your setup

I have a very similar set up to the coons but with after market springs and the ride is %200 better than standard which you wont get with the drop shackles
swb lux with 7mge, trailgear crossover, trailgear rear lift kit, custom front bar, runva 1200lb winch, custom snorkel, 37" Mtrs, custom deck, lockright in the rear.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:44 pm

haynzy wrote:
J_Dub wrote:and hows its road manners? not sure if you driven a 60 with its factory setup but they harsh as on the road, feels like you driveing something a couple inches off the ground, bumpy as. mite have to get ya to email me some pics of your setup

I have a very similar set up to the coons but with after market springs and the ride is %200 better than standard which you wont get with the drop shackles

Did you do your setup yourself? So with the drop shackles, plenty more drop travel but then less positive pressure on the other side???? HHmmm so much to consider, might have to take gimmemuds offer up and go have a look and ride

Return to “Toyota”