Bullbars / Rock Sliders-Vendor review-Williams4x4

Moderator: Vendors

Jacko
Hard Yaka

Bullbars / Rock Sliders-Vendor review-Williams4x4

Postby Jacko » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:35 pm

Just had these bullbars/sidebars/rock sliders custom made by Craig Williams of Williams 4x4 in Christchurch. (http://www.williams4x4.co.nz)
Absolutely awesome guy to deal with, the quality of the work done and the attention to detail is amazing. Hate to think how many hours Craig spent on this in total, but the end result is perfect, and the price was roughly a third of what ARB had to offer....
Bullbars have spotlight mounts, cb aerial mounts at each corner, attachments for a couple of rated shackles, and a couple of 10,000lb tow hooks. Winch plate has standard mounting for a variety of winches, will hopefully have an ep9 superwinch attached by the end of next week.....
The rocksliders are solidly bolted to the chassis, and the side bars are welded to the rocksliders at one end, and bolted to the bull bar at the other end allowing the bull bar itself to be removed if required.
Next mission will be a replacement rear bar.......
Anyway, I'd highly recommend Craig for any custom 4x4 work.

Storm
Bush Crasher

Re: Bullbars / Rock Sliders - CHECK THESE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Storm » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:22 pm

Hey, the pictures are way better than mine lol, so glad your happy after the "36+" hours we slaved over, it certainly does look an eye full for sure. Thanks again, Craig ;)

mike
Last minute Mike

Re: Bullbars / Rock Sliders-Vendor review-Williams4x4

Postby mike » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:31 am

Welcome to the vendors forum storm, very nice review there. Thanks for supporting the site, hopefully the site in turn will support you, and looking at that nice shiny bar work I'm sure it will :D
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

Storm
Bush Crasher

Postby Storm » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:15 pm

Thanks Mike & Chris, great to get the feedback of this magnitude, makes it all worthwhile for sure. Chris is what you have to call the BEST customer, trusted my imagination & design, watched and gave a helping hand for a couple of the build days and left with a huge smile on his face, don't get any better I can tell ya :)

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:03 am

Nice looking Bars....

A couple of things come to mind ...

The hooks seem to be right next to the shackle mounts, with a thicker strop eg cookes or an actual rope this may be a problem putting a strop on/off. A bit of space would fix the problem. (with my shiny the front factory hook is right next to the chassis and has the same problem .... )

Also you could paint the hooks yellow and have little yellow "tow" stickers at the top of the bar above them (indicating where the tow points are when the truck is buried in the mud.

I'm assuming that these bars are not for vehicles with airbags?, may be worth stating something on your website etc about this, especially if you are not seeing the vehicle its going on......if its disclosed then it covers you .... a good example of this is the last models of the 80 series which had airbags and require an airbag compatible bar.

(Disclaimer: These are just some suggestions and ideas)
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:54 am

Please Read Carefully
Some vehicles are equipped with air bags. The installation of a Williams 4x4 custom built winch bar unit or side bars combination could alter the vehicle crush rate and operational characteristics of the air bag. Independent research has established that "certain bars" when correctly installed do not affect the proper operation of the air bag activation system in the vehicle. Williams 4x4 winch units should not in themselves be considered as protection or classed as a "Bullbar" for the vehicle but they are for the fitment of a power winch to enable the pulling of the vehicle out of problematic areas in off-road conditions ie mud, snow, steep terain etc.

copied from his website, did you even read his site jerry?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experiance!

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:07 am

Sorry , didn't see that part..... :oops:
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

Storm
Bush Crasher

Postby Storm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:36 am

Hey Jerry, good comments ;) always open to the constructive. I have two ways of mounting the shackle holders, first as above and on a 45 degree to give clearance, its really down to the customer but I do hear what your saying about the rope. Must get my "Yellow" paint brush out :)

zephyrheaven
Hard Yaka

Postby zephyrheaven » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:35 pm

+1 for Craigs workmanship

HOT or what!

Storm
Bush Crasher

Postby Storm » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:20 pm

Hey James, looking neat mate, still recon you should have donated that Warn winch unit to me!!! Once I fathom how to load pictures I will post a heap (must be my age lol)

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:10 am

Hi Craig, I didn't know you where in Lincoln before your move up north, I was born and breed in Lincoln had my family there and moved to CHCH after 40yrs in the village, It was a great place to live and raise a family, mind you it was only half the size back then.
Having designed and built many a set of bars I certainly know how much work goes into them, If you spent 36hrs building you probably spent 72hrs designing in your head, It's one of those jobs that if you could get paid your hourly rate for every hour you put in you would about break even.
One question I have, with front bars are you aloud to have forward facing protrusion ?. My thoughts where that bar work had to curve back to the vehicle to (tui add here ) protect the pedestrian.

FITZY.

Storm
Bush Crasher

Postby Storm » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Hey, Lincoln was a cool spot for sure, kids loved the stream & ponds :) Eel & trout fishing was great :) but sadly the Coromandel is far better... The bar work can not protrude further forward than 100mm over the standard and shall have no sharp edges, the only gray area is what you noted but the ADR rules are for later vehicles. Still a pain in the back side but I tilted mine forward to keep all the 1080 supporters face down here in the Coromandel, this way when I feel a "bump" it means I got one without scratching my hood..... lmao

gqwilly
Winch master

Postby gqwilly » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:04 pm

OK been meaning to get to this for months, but better late than never!
Craig did some bars & sliders for one of our Hilux's, my hunting & play truck so picky, fussy whinging client too, and a great job anyway.
Late model with airbags so we put an ARB front winch bar on, & Craig did everything else. Here's a couple of photos, let me know if you want any more pics with details.
Great to deal with, price just what we discussed, although I suspect there was a bit more time taken on some of it than originally planned on.
Highly reccomend this guy, ignore the funny accent.
If you drop your truck off plan a night in Whitianga too, those Lost Spring hot pools are a"must do" night.
Attachments
Hilux 005.JPG
Hilux 004.JPG
Hilux 003.JPG
Hilux 002.JPG
Hilux 001.JPG

Linden
Driver/Navigator

Postby Linden » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:52 am

nice looking work these bars, but are they in chch because their website says they are in the waikato and im keen to get a bar mad up for my truck in chch. If not does anyone know any other good places to get 1 made.

MK1TNA
Hard Yaka

Postby MK1TNA » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Linden wrote:nice looking work these bars, but are they in chch because their website says they are in the waikato and im keen to get a bar mad up for my truck in chch. If not does anyone know any other good places to get 1 made.

Have a read of this and send Tom a PM

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 67&t=27391

Filmz64
Driver/Navigator

Sliders welded or bolted to chassis rails???

Postby Filmz64 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:08 pm

Hey guys just wondering what the story is with welding sliders straight to the chassis rails. WOF man says no!!!!

I guess the other option is to make up some brackets and bolt, the issue is the brake lines etc... running down the inside of the rail.

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:35 pm

Need cert if you want to weld them, lots of threads about welding and bolting.

evilknieval69
Bush Crasher

Postby evilknieval69 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:45 pm

I'm not sure about the welding thing. Read item 3 here http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/v ... tal-impact

It states that a modification to the structure, including something welded to it, fails a wof, unless it is excluded from the requirements for Lvv cert. then look at the table for things that are excluded, and it states auxiliary bars are excluded from cert if the vehicle does not need to comply with frontal impact standards.....

So the way I read it, you do not need to cert WELDED on sliders, if your vehicle is not required to meet frontal impact standards (ie pretty much any vehicle registered before 2000) which is probably the majority of 4wd vehicles used.....

That's how I read it but would be interested in others thoughts.....

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:16 pm

Yep. Table 3-1-1 and note four is the relevant part

Return to “Body/Armor”