OffroadExpress Helmet Cams

Moderator: Vendors

mike
Last minute Mike

OffroadExpress Helmet Cams

Postby mike » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi Guys,

I've added some helmet camcorders to the shop. These are 50 FPS and water proof. They take SD cards and normal batteries.

Features:
* Waterproof
* Built-in microphone
* Uses AA batteries
* Reinforced rubber casing
* Can mount almost anywhere
* Supports SD card up to 8 GB
* Timestamp ON/OFF function
* Records at 640 x 480 resolution
* Records AVI video at 50 frames per second
* Great for all types of action sports such as two or four wheel vehicle racing, skiing, biking, rock climbing, paintballing and skydiving.

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/marketplace/waterproof-action-camera

Cheaper than on trademe!
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Re: OffroadExpress Helmet Cams

Postby Pedro » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:43 am

mike wrote:Hi Guys,

I've added some helmet camcorders to the shop. These are 50 FPS and water proof. They take SD cards and normal batteries.

Features:
* Waterproof
* Built-in microphone
* Uses AA batteries
* Great for all types of action sports such as two or four wheel vehicle racing, skiing, biking, rock climbing, paintballing and skydiving.

Cheaper than on trademe!

hi mike

how much video can it take, ie how many minutes, how long batteries last?? and what the picture like, can you post a video taken by one of these things

Cheers

Pedro

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:56 am

Pedro wrote:
hi mike

how much video can it take, ie how many minutes, how long batteries last?? and what the picture like, can you post a video taken by one of these things

will it take multiple rolls off a hill :?:

can it be covered in mud :?:

will it show up all my driving erroros and make my co-driver look awesome behind the levers :mrgreen:

Cheers

Pedro

Go on dude

you know you want one :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:47 am

Pedro wrote:
mike wrote:Hi Guys,

Features:
* Waterproof
* Built-in microphone
* Uses AA batteries

Cheaper than on trademe!

hi mike

Cheers

Pedro

Hi Pedro,

Not sure on the above as I only get my hands on them middle of next week. Reason I got them, cheap, water proof, strong casing, take up to 8 gig memory SD card (so you can swap out as you see fit), takes dual AA batteries (so you can swap out if they go flat). and the resolution is 640x480 which isnt the best on the market but you would expect that for the price. I'll be trying one out down south when I go so will see how it performs.

cheers

mike
1994 Toyota Surf

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Postby Pedro » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:16 pm

skid wrote:
Pedro wrote:
hi mike

will it take multiple rolls off a hill :?:

can it be covered in mud :?:

will it show up all my driving erroros and make my co-driver look awesome behind the levers :mrgreen:

Cheers

Pedro

Go on dude

you know you want one :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

tell ya what skid i get two, so we can look at the lockers lights and you pulling on the wrong wheel brakes, and to make it more fun i get rid of the interlock switches on the wheel brakes!!!!

Pedro

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:27 pm

I can get an hour out of 4gb at 30-60fps on my canon camera
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

Rotazuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Rotazuk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:28 pm

Mike you say 8mb card and the spec's say 4mb . What am I reading wrong ?

Chris

Hmm I see what I am reading wrong . Says 4gb external , how does that work ? .

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:32 pm

I have had one of these for about 2 years, its obviously not fantastic quality video but it pretty much cant be killed, I looked at an HD camcorder but with hard drives moving parts etc i just didnt think it would last (not to mention 600-1000) so one of these makes a cool toy to keep in the glove box and drop in the mud.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experiance!

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:37 pm

Rotazuk wrote:Mike you say 8mb card and the spec's say 4mb . What am I reading wrong ?

Chris

Hmm I see what I am reading wrong . Says 4gb external , how does that work ? .

Will sus out the storage when it arrives. Your right the specs do contradict themselves. But as rangimotors stats, thats the reason I got them, cheap and doesnt really matter what happens to them. Years ago i bought a pen camera for Oktoberfest, this thing had everything done to it as it used to just lie on the table. That was the point of it so there were photos even though it got drowned in beer, dropped, played with etc.
1994 Toyota Surf

flyingbrick
Hard Yaka

Postby flyingbrick » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:37 pm

mike wrote: Years ago i bought a pen camera for Oktoberfest, this thing had everything done to it as it used to just lie on the table. That was the point of it so there were photos even though it got drowned in beer, dropped, played with etc.

...........................................8) 8) 8)
phone Ross Bolus (secretary of the BOP club) He'll save you.

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:11 pm

Just added another one into the shop. $99 version. just the smaller, cheaper version. The one you don't care if you loose it pretty much.

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/marketp ... mera-30fps
1994 Toyota Surf

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:44 pm

I know those ones are cheap Mike. But then the playback looks the same. Cheap. But hey, they are waterproof.
I recon the "HD Contour" cams are the best for the money, and the quality is outstanding. It's just a matter of time before they come down in price. And wrapping them in glad wrap stops the water n mud getting in.
Maybe buying them in bulk will bring them down in price?

http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/prod ... agodTXZyuA

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:20 pm

I've been testing them out on the surf in the rivers down here in the south. They are water proof to 3m deep and believe me ive had it way under the water when i had water up to the windscreen and the footage was pretty good. The good thing about them being cheap is you don't care so much about them for loosing or wiping out with it attached. The footage is pretty good for what they are. I'll try and get some up tonight. I had it attached with Velcro to the bull bar so the mount was moving with the bumps etc.
1994 Toyota Surf

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:32 pm

I'll get shit for saying this Mike.
But the amount of times most of us go 3m under water i'd say (apart from skid) would be not a lot. So my point is. Getting one that is fully waterproof isn't high on the priority list. I'd say. But I'll get flamed for it. Oh and the quality once it gets wet or muddy (on the lens which is VERY small) reduces the quality HEAPS. Till you get out and wipe it clean.
I know. Cause as well as owning the HD Contour I own one of these waterproof puppies to.

http://www.tachyoninc.com/

And I'd don't rate them. At all.

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:44 pm

I go under water a lot and a few others on here do as well so they won't be wasted. Here is some footage from these cheapies :mrgreen:

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/marketp ... ion-camera

I'm really happy with what they do and rate them highly for $180 compared to $350US :wink:
1994 Toyota Surf

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:53 pm

mike wrote:I go under water a lot and a few others on here do as well so they won't be wasted. Here is some footage from these cheapies :mrgreen:

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/marketp ... ion-camera

I'm really happy with what they do and rate them highly for $180 compared to $350US :wink:

I'm sure they do Mike.
I've always thought, "you get what you pay for".

With splash of fresh water on the lens is very different to a good splash of mud. :wink:
Just putting my experiences with the cheap cams forward. Not that it's worth much.

The sound quality on those waterproof cams are pretty crappy. But again. Just my 5c worth.

I can see the prices of the HD cams falling all the time. :mrgreen:
HD is where it's at.

safaripete
Hard Yaka

Postby safaripete » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:59 pm

ive'd had one of these on my minisprint

like what has been said the video isnt that great moreso at night time with little light

sound quality isnt that great but being waterproof is right up there

as for being near on indistructable well mine fell off the racecar and was run over with no damage

i'll find some footage from inside tha safari

safaripete
Hard Yaka

Postby safaripete » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:01 pm

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:06 pm

I'm not arguing with you about HD at all, these are just a cheap way of recording without a massive outlay. With HD you need bigger storage both for editing and on the fly capture, also upload times will be longer for the internet and hard drive space will get chewed out on ORE way quicker if everyone uploaded HD footage as well :mrgreen: I think we'll leave it at this, HD cams have their place and these do as well :wink:
1994 Toyota Surf

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:17 pm

mike wrote:I'm not arguing with you about HD at all, these are just a cheap way of recording without a massive outlay. With HD you need bigger storage both for editing and on the fly capture, also upload times will be longer for the internet and hard drive space will get chewed out on ORE way quicker if everyone uploaded HD footage as well :mrgreen: I think we'll leave it at this, HD cams have their place and these do as well :wink:

I don't think the HD is a massive outlay there Mike. Like I say. They are getting cheaper by the month. And as for storage space? That's getting cheaper too, in every way..

Technology will never stop changing and getting cheaper for the Joe Bloggs.

Those ones you have I'd buy over the Tachyon Cam from the look of them.

Cheers.
Pete.

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:55 am

I don't know what the differences are in quality etc, price etc, but maybe start your own thread to compare clips?

Everyone knows these are a cheap camera, as Mike has pointed out a number of times, and I'd rather have one of these than a HD, for those exact reasons, and if it gets enough use, I would possibly look at HD in the future, depending on the quality difference vs price, so would be interested in comparisons if you have some clips there Pete?

There is a HD helmet cam on TM at the moment, but don't want to clutter this thread, so if you are keen to start another thread, I'll post the link to see what you think of it

Dave

Nivapulledout
Hard Yaka

Postby Nivapulledout » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:40 am

that footage looks fine, definably good enough to capture the footage I would be doing.

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:43 am

I was quite suprised by the quality, going to borrow a mates one next weekend and throw it on the mtb to see how it handles vibration

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:46 am

Had a look at those, almost bought one when I was going to do the taupo 1000 as they looked the best. waterproof down to 60m and shock proof. I've enquired about offroadexpress becoming a dealer for those as well. So ore should have both. :mrgreen:
1994 Toyota Surf

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:17 am

Must be ok quality as my interent didn't have a hope of playing it at more than 4 seconds at a time! :lol:
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 pm

Mike, will you look at stocking the LCD version of the cheaper cam? Just be good for setting up on hemets etc to make sure its pointing where you want it.

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:07 pm

bloody good lookin for the price, it'll be on my shopping list..
not every bugger can afford a fancy camera Pete... i can recommend theses ones though, i got 2 of them for our avalanche techs to use.. they are great for the price
http://www.qualitycameras.co.nz/camcorders/sanyo/sanyo-vpc-wh1/prod_61.html?utm_source=priceme&utm_medium=cpc
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:17 pm

DaveM wrote:I was quite suprised by the quality, going to borrow a mates one next weekend and throw it on the mtb to see how it handles vibration

Seems to handle it fine, I did 39mins of shingle road/boulders on the godley glacier road (pretty bumpy) while strapped to the bullbar and it the footage was pretty good. I also strapped it to the frame and mountain biked down skippers canyon road which is a pretty bumpy shingle road and it handled it fine (better than me, my hands cramped up and nearly went off the side!!)

Will post some footage of that soon. The worst part i find is that i took to much footage and have to edit the damned stuff :evil:

Going paintball on my stag do on saturday with it!! hopefully I get to nail some staggers with it at point blank, which of course will make good facebook footage :mrgreen:
1994 Toyota Surf

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:49 pm

callum007 wrote:not every bugger can afford a fancy camera Pete...

Fancy? It's the old story. You get what you pay for. :roll:

If I wanted to go all out. The ContourHD at $329US ($455NZ) wouldn't of done it.

This puppy here would of though. But at $650US ($829NZ) it's way out of my league :shock:

http://www.helmetcamlive.com/VIO_POV_1_ ... pov15m.htm

But my pick would have to be the GoPro. The best quality for the money, HD n totally waterproof. ($455NZ)

http://www.goprocamera.com/?_kk=helmet% ... agodARezig

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:53 pm

NJV6 wrote:Must be ok quality as my interent didn't have a hope of playing it at more than 4 seconds at a time! :lol:

Yeah the conversion to HD currently on the site is using flash video format which isnt as good as the new mp4 format (very new but with issues late last year). I've been getting it going on my local ore so the file sizes are a lot smaller for guys with shit broadband.

Current uploadedfile.avi ~ 48mb converts to 24mb uploadedfile.flv which plays on the web in the browser.

Soon on ore. uploadedfile.avi ~ 48mb converts to 9mb uploadedfile.mp4 which plays on the latest software in the web browser.

9mb vs 24mb download time should speed things up quite a bit for the HD video capability on the site.
1994 Toyota Surf

Return to “Electronics”