wanted: argon bottle for mig

uwish
Bush Crasher

wanted: argon bottle for mig

Postby uwish » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:08 pm

hi
not sure if this is the right place to put this thread,thourght id put it on ore as everyone seems to look after each other, im after a argon ownership bottle for my mig so i can run mix of argon and c02.

does any one have one they want to sell or have a contact of sumone that sells them im not real keen on paying $700 for one.
any help would be great im in christchurch but dont mind getting couier to pick stuff up

need to get bottle sorted so the mods can start

cheers boys

juz
Hard Yaka

Re: wanted: argon bottle for mig

Postby juz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:19 pm

My bottle was brand new from http://www.weldplus.co.nz/ but the Dunedin branch. Think it was like $350 and there was a smaller bottle available too.

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:22 pm

uwish wrote:hi
not sure if this is the right place to put this thread,thourght id put it on ore as everyone seems to look after each other, im after a argon ownership bottle for my mig so i can run mix of argon and c02.

does any one have one they want to sell or have a contact of sumone that sells them im not real keen on paying $700 for one.
any help would be great im in christchurch but dont mind getting couier to pick stuff up

need to get bottle sorted so the mods can start

cheers boys

I got a co2 fire extinuisher bottle and got it converted cost about $150 including bottle. I am sure you can use the co2 bottle for argon.
GU patrol 35s ect.
Money and time pit Suzuki Build.

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:26 pm

yep just gotta be painted the rite colour. Same shop could do an old extinguisher converted for cheaper but retest is in say 2yrs instead of 5yrs with new.Something like that anyway.

uwish
Bush Crasher

Postby uwish » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:22 pm

when talking to southern gas in chch they said that depending what the bottle was originally certed for (a range of gases) will determine what the bottle can be filled with.

so painting it does not work and they (and boc) would not fill bottle

also said that alot of the bottles sold for c02 gases can not be filled with the mix

anyone eles heard this?

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:08 pm

If you want argon co2 mix why dont you just hire/buy argo shield?
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

uwish
Bush Crasher

Postby uwish » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 pm

not sure what you mean the gas or bottle?
i want to buy a bottle suitable for filling with argo sheild, i dont want to hire one because i may not use the full bottle all at once so have to pay for bottle sitting there for nothing, plus boc is a on year contract.
also im in my 20's so if i buy one now it will pay for itself with 3-4 years rental and i still have it at the end

mudmike
Hard Yaka

Postby mudmike » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:14 am

I got mine from supergas, they fill and sometimes sell bottles, think they were $350 for a D size

uwish
Bush Crasher

Postby uwish » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:20 pm

thanks mike but is that bottle allowed to be filled with argosheild?

chrome
Hard Yaka

Postby chrome » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:48 pm

rental is monthly, the terms dont dictate you keep it for a year, and if you are worried about not finishing your bottle either pimp out your services and finish it or turn your gas flow up :mrgreen:
DIRTY OLD HILUX
022 519 7700

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:55 pm

argo sheild is more costly than co2 and the mig is normaly made to suit on or the other gases
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:15 pm

coxsy wrote:argo sheild is more costly than co2 and the mig is normaly made to suit on or the other gases

Personaly I would only use argon for tig. As said it costs more and you only get a slightly better looking weld. Some one correct me if I am wrong but you get better penetration with co2?
GU patrol 35s ect.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:15 pm

correct :D
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

chevrolux
Hard Yaka

Postby chevrolux » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:05 pm

i thought co2 was only better when you use flux cored wire? is that another ball game.
Personally.. argoshield rocks!! welds might not go as deep but nothing the volume knob cant fix. co2 is just so angry lol.

as for buying a bottle. Why pay 500 odd bucks when you rent one for 15 a fortnight and take the bottle back when you dont want it. If you are anything like me and just weld in the weekends working on your own junkers a bottle will last a couple months and I dont get anohter bottle until i reckon i will need to do some welding. plus you get the bonus of having an account at boc so if you havent got cash all your metal working supplies just go on the account lol. its great!!

edit: 15 a MONTH not fortnight

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:51 pm

chevrolux wrote:i thought co2 was only better when you use flux cored wire? is that another ball game.
Personally.. argoshield rocks!! welds might not go as deep but nothing the volume knob cant fix. co2 is just so angry lol.

as for buying a bottle. Why pay 500 odd bucks when you rent one for 15 a fortnight and take the bottle back when you dont want it. If you are anything like me and just weld in the weekends working on your own junkers a bottle will last a couple months and I dont get anohter bottle until i reckon i will need to do some welding. plus you get the bonus of having an account at boc so if you havent got cash all your metal working supplies just go on the account lol. its great!!

edit: 15 a MONTH not fortnight

Not disagreeing with you chevrolux just giving my 2cents, you dont need any gas for flux cored. I fine that co2 works very well for me. $15 a month you would pay a small bottle off in a year :D
GU patrol 35s ect.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Old thread but relevant for me.

Have prices changed much? Looking to flick my little CO2 bottle and reg (I damaged the contents gauge and will replace it) off and get argoshield mix for my panel work. A drop in weld temp might help me not blow holes in thin steel (probably not though - settings seem too coarse - either too hot or not enough) and nice welds would be appreciated by the certifier I think.

Looking for about D size or slightly bigger in Chch and also a reg.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:47 pm

They do an "argoshield light"as well Heath. I have not used it but apparently has less CO2 and therefore less penetration than the normal argoshield mix. Stops you from blowing through as easy. I assume you are running a lighter wire for your panel work?

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:37 pm

running .8mm at the moment (have some .6mm wire but havent changed over yet). Blew a nice hole through a side panel (low on the sill) last night which pissed me off. Now I have to fill it and get it looking nice - bastard!! I think there may be some bog used in this build.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Put the .6 in bro. Makes a big difference. I am forever chasing holes with the .8 but can actually get a bead going with the .6 (that's with normal argo shield). Also I think the theory goes that you should be able to use less heat and get less warping with th .6.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 pm

I'm hearing ya. Just lazy I guess. Another job to do... :lol:

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:43 pm

Bloody gas ran out on Sunday. Dropepd it off on tuesday after work expecting to pick up yesterday (Wed) but got a call to say it was out of test and had to be checked before they would fill it. Sure, no worries send it out I figured, but now it seems it may not be back for the weekend so nothing will happen unless it comes back quickly. Never mind gives me time to find a new gauge for the regulator and swap the wire over to .6mm too.

Might hold off on the guage incase it fails and then I will go for argon light from weld worx or similar. Still might move it on anyway even if it passes. Not sure on CO2 yet... :?

Return to “4WD Parts”