show us ya landy

bryan.daley
Driver/Navigator

Re: show us ya landy

Postby bryan.daley » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:39 pm

husky wrote:anyone got pics of a discovery 3 front recovery points? got my mud tires on just need front recovery points. but where can i put them?

Theres a dirty big ring under the plastic cover under the bumper. Takes 30 seconds to remove but is not useful as a frisbie. I think it is rated at 6 tones which is heaps.

Piccie off Disco3.co.uk which I may have visiting excessively.

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:02 pm

bryan.daley wrote:
husky wrote:anyone got pics of a discovery 3 front recovery points? got my mud tires on just need front recovery points. but where can i put them?

Theres a dirty big ring under the plastic cover under the bumper. Takes 30 seconds to remove but is not useful as a frisbie. I think it is rated at 6 tones which is heaps.

Piccie off Disco3.co.uk which I may have visiting excessively.

Personally I would not snatch tow on the thing with the hook attached unless it has some rated markings on it. Someone will get killed

Most of those types are just tie downs for travelling on ships etc

Cheers Richard
Never say die, up man and try

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:42 pm

heh.. good luck gettin to the hook or utilising the winch hook when ya snowplow into a bank or muddy ruts... :mrgreen:
ImageImage

bryan.daley
Driver/Navigator

Postby bryan.daley » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:40 pm

niblik wrote:heh.. good luck gettin to the hook or utilising the winch hook when ya snowplow into a bank or muddy ruts... :mrgreen:

They are just for show as they never get used. :wink:

husky
Driver/Navigator

Postby husky » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Thank you for all those answers. As I never got a users manual with the landy I have spent hours looking for the little things, but I have now downloaded the book and the recovery rings under the plastic covers front and back are rated to 10 ton and after removing the covers myself to make sure they were there they are pretty beefyrings an would definatly last longer than the Toyota trying to snatch me out. So thanks for all the help guys.

husky
Driver/Navigator

Postby husky » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:26 pm

So I now have myself a brand new set of 5 cooper stt mud tyres 245 70 R17 ,recovery points, 2 new snatch straps, shackles, fire extinguisher, firyst aid kit and im looking for mud. Lookout saterday.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:01 pm

From this on november 12 -
(1994, $1300.00, 3.9 V8)

To this (so far) today (Dec 5)-

/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:20 pm

nice bit of work xj
found this on being a trailer
http://bringatrailer.com/2011/12/03/ori ... er-si-107/
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:12 pm

and that was the 5th ,,finished now......... :D
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:41 pm

yeti wrote:and that was the 5th ,,finished now......... :D

nooope... still to plate up rear guards, either plate or tonneau cover the roof, and more tube to go into cage (after Christmas is spent playing in the sand), and front towhooks to sort, and a nudge bar of some description to add too.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:53 am

xj wrote:
yeti wrote:and that was the 5th ,,finished now......... :D

nooope... still to plate up rear guards, either plate or tonneau cover the roof, and more tube to go into cage (after Christmas is spent playing in the sand), and front towhooks to sort, and a nudge bar of some description to add too.

thats gonna be rather 8) ........nice work .......

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:14 pm

And finally in action, to a degree..... (with support of another Landy too)

Click on pic to view vid:

And as a disclaimer, should anyone decide to have a whinge, we were on private property with the owners consent (the owner was there in a cut down patrol chassis, tube framed, 3.8l v6 truck). Our activity had nothing to do with the NZFWDA. We were all willing participants who understood the inherant risks or our chosen activity.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Overkill
Hard Yaka

Postby Overkill » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:23 pm

xj wrote:And as a disclaimer, should anyone decide to have a whinge, we were on private property with the owners consent (the owner was there in a cut down patrol chassis, tube framed, 3.8l v6 truck). Our activity had nothing to do with the NZFWDA. We were all willing participants who understood the inherant risks or our chosen activity.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nicely said :wink:

You should though do a write-up of things you have done and things you are going to do to this beast, it is definately looking the business :mrgreen:

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:33 pm

Where all good Landies should be. In front of a Toyota

Cheers Richard

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Overkill wrote:
xj wrote:And as a disclaimer, should anyone decide to have a whinge, we were on private property with the owners consent (the owner was there in a cut down patrol chassis, tube framed, 3.8l v6 truck). Our activity had nothing to do with the NZFWDA. We were all willing participants who understood the inherant risks or our chosen activity.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nicely said :wink:

You should though do a write-up of things you have done and things you are going to do to this beast, it is definately looking the business :mrgreen:

not a lot to tell really, bought it whole, cut it up, mounted an escudo tank, cut some of the front guard, hammered the inner guard, slapped on some spacers/rims/silverstone 15 tyres. Made a kinda cage, made up a spare wheel carrier thingy, added some 3mm checkplate onto the roof and closed in the rear guards with the same, painted it in my garage, Put the key in and started it. 4k (or thereabout) total. $1300.00 truck, $500.00 rims, $1500.00 5x tyres, 4 x bolt in wheel spacers were a contra deal for some other stuff i had, tube was free, $150.00 odd for a service kit, sundry expense for cutting discs, aerosol paint, mig wire and arc rods (max $300.00 I'd be guessing). $60.00 primer, $100.00 "desert sand" paint (cheers Dan!). $100.00 2 x harness', $80.00 check plate (cheers Jayde!!)... whats thats come too? $4100 maybe?

Future? Add into cage with some diagonal bracing. Got some beadlocks being made for me for about $100.00. Only catch is I gotta drill the freaking holes and supply the nuts n bolts. (mates an engineer who is going to form up the rings and stitch em onto the rims for me... only cost is the flatbar. I'll still flick him some coin for doing it though. Hes doing another set at the same time.

Ill pop some conveyor belt onto the rear guards, and look to make an A frame for it too maybe, along with a front nudge bar. That'll about do
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:43 am

Just done a final tally:
Purchase, tyres x 5, rims, spacers, service kit, fluid change throughout, paint, harness', floor mats, check plate, all the sundry bits and pieces (cutting discs et al), change of ownership.... everything from purchase to mud, the whole shooting match = $3972.27.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Mongoose
Hard Yaka

Postby Mongoose » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Just got this from a chap in Dunners, haven't even seen it yet but looks tidy enough from the pics I've got. Has a 2.4 Isuzu diesel in it that from research seems to be mostly used in boats and fork-lifts, hoping this will take a small turbo(maybe off a Surf) just to get it capable of doing the speed limit comfortably.

Plans are probably some 31" muds, snorkel and stick the wee chinese winch on the front. Will mostly be a daily drive and fishing wagon so kept tidyish and modest mods. Looking forward to seeing how it goes, never had a Landy before but being from the UK I grew up knowing them as THE offroader. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the FJ40s I've had.

Any of you Landy nuts know what the colour is called? Some bits are in need of a tidy up so would be good to have a paint code.
More pics when Jeffs get it up here.
Cheers.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Realised I never put up pics of the roof etc....

Still gotta get back up north and get the conveyor over the rear tyres and blank out the headlights.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:34 pm

looking good mate.......

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:53 pm

This is how my kids roll :lol: Series 2a pedal car 8)

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 am

Hope the kids don't get oil on their feet from the Land Rover OIL LEAKS FITZY.

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:23 am

Mongoose wrote:Image
Just got this from a chap in Dunners, haven't even seen it yet but looks tidy enough from the pics I've got. Has a 2.4 Isuzu diesel in it that from research seems to be mostly used in boats and fork-lifts, hoping this will take a small turbo(maybe off a Surf) just to get it capable of doing the speed limit comfortably.

Plans are probably some 31" muds, snorkel and stick the wee chinese winch on the front. Will mostly be a daily drive and fishing wagon so kept tidyish and modest mods. Looking forward to seeing how it goes, never had a Landy before but being from the UK I grew up knowing them as THE offroader. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the FJ40s I've had.

Any of you Landy nuts know what the colour is called? Some bits are in need of a tidy up so would be good to have a paint code.
Cheers.

think that's a c223? isuzu engine? not sure if they ever came out turbo. they're fitted to all manner of industrial stuff, though. little loaders, reasonably large rollers, all sorts.
they run real well on chip fat, too.

looks like a sweet little mobile. so jealous

Mongoose
Hard Yaka

Postby Mongoose » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:00 pm

Cameron wrote:

Cheers.

think that's a c223? isuzu engine? not sure if they ever came out turbo. they're fitted to all manner of industrial stuff, though. little loaders, reasonably large rollers, all sorts.
they run real well on chip fat, too.

looks like a sweet little mobile. so jealous

Hey Cameron, I don't think that's quite the engine code but it's an Isuzu, might have been CJ 250 but I'll double check tomorrow. From what I read before I bought it they're mostly fitted to either Forklifts or common in boats, if they're good enough for boats I guess they're reliable so I'm pretty happy. It goes fine but the gearing definitely lets it down for top speed, once you're at 80 it's sounding to me like it's not really a good idea to go any further. That's with 235/85s on it too which are about 33" diameter. It's not as tidy as it looks and plenty of stupid don't give a shit previous owner mods, including painting matt green over the really nice factory shiny green with no prep, gradually getting that off with thinners! Overall I'm bloody pleased with it though, drives nice, goes ok, ride is decent enough and I love how it looks.

Interesting they run well on chip fat, may need to have a chat with the local chippie :)

Cheers man

Mongoose
Hard Yaka

Postby Mongoose » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Few hours with some thinners, cutting compound and polish and it's coming up ok. Matt paint is thicker on the sides though, just have to love previous owners...

ice4x4
Hard Yaka

Postby ice4x4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:48 pm

I had a slight technical hitch with my ability to refrain from buying a Disco 3. Oops.....

1988 Range Rover Classic
2010 Discovery 4 HSE 5.0 V8

[img]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/eastw77/2_zpse514cc6c.gif[/img]

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:27 am

Mongoose wrote:
Hey Cameron, I don't think that's quite the engine code but it's an Isuzu, might have been CJ 250 but I'll double check tomorrow. From what I read before I bought it they're mostly fitted to either Forklifts or common in boats, if they're good enough for boats I guess they're reliable so I'm pretty happy. It goes fine but the gearing definitely lets it down for top speed, once you're at 80 it's sounding to me like it's not really a good idea to go any further. That's with 235/85s on it too which are about 33" diameter. It's not as tidy as it looks and plenty of stupid don't give a shit previous owner mods, including painting matt green over the really nice factory shiny green with no prep, gradually getting that off with thinners! Overall I'm bloody pleased with it though, drives nice, goes ok, ride is decent enough and I love how it looks.

Interesting they run well on chip fat, may need to have a chat with the local chippie :)

Cheers man

derp. c223 is only 2.2, sorry. c240 is the 2.4 :)
they're pretty low horsepower rated and like lowish rpm but they're a reliable unit. maybe a fairy overdrive box would get your road speed up :)

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 am

[quote=" That's with 235/85s on it too which are about 33" diameter. [/quote]
235x85x16's are equivalent to 750x16 and only 32's.

Mongoose
Hard Yaka

Postby Mongoose » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:14 am

Ralfie wrote: 235x85x16's are equivalent to 750x16 and only 32's.

Ah ok thanks Ralfie.

derp. c223 is only 2.2, sorry. c240 is the 2.4
they're pretty low horsepower rated and like lowish rpm but they're a reliable unit. maybe a fairy overdrive box would get your road speed up

Hmm yep C240 sounds right, I think it's something like 53hp :) But it does ok. Was looking at a Fairy on TM at the moment, definitely think another gear is the way to go. Not sure what's involved in fitting the Fairy though..

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Cheers.

Nice, looks good and straight.

Get your self an overdrive for it, or just be happy holding up traffic at 80k's cause your cool 8) 8)
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Here is a photo of my series 2 last Sunday. It is coming up for its 54 Biirthday next weekend.

This is quite significant because it is the first production series 2 in the world and was built 6 weeks before the release of the series 2 at the Amsterdam Motor Show.

It still has all the original running gear as well

Cheers Richard

PS L12 Land Rover from 1948 sold last nite for 60,000 pounds. About $120,000NZ

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”