Hilux Surf 1KZ-TE Engine Running Temp?

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Re: Hilux Surf 1KZ-TE Engine Running Temp?

Postby bronx89 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:35 am

crazyclark31 wrote:just something else to think about. Is your auto trans ok? As if it is on the way out it will heat the trans oil up which in turn will heat your water in the radiator up.Don't know how many guys i've talked to that complain their truck heats up at the beach. Just about all the time its because they have left it in drive and labour the trans
IMHO you should just do away with the trans oil flowing through the rad and run it soley through an external cooler. Esp if you drive in sand or load the trans up.That how i have my safari set up and have never had heating probs with either the motor or trans

Yea I've decided I'm going to do away with the auto radiator with internal trans cooler and get a manual radiator (if I can bloody find one!) or an aftermarket one without the trans cooler in it, and run an external trans cooler.

As far as I know the trans is fine. Any easy way to check/test?

When you say "because they have left it in drive and labour the trans" what do you mean?

Went for a quick road drive yesterday and man the fan ROARED! I couldn't believe how loud it was, and the truck ran SO much cooler! Barely got up to 80'c! So I'm hopeful today on the beach it'll run a lot cooler than last time and hopefully not get anywhere near close to 100'c like last time - fingers crossed.

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:17 am

When you say "because they have left it in drive and labour the trans" what do you mean?
I mean instead of holding it in say 2nd and letting the engine sit at a higher rev with less load they let it change up and have the motor at a lower rev rate but with heaps of load. this puts massive pressure on the trans and the motor. which in turn causes alot of heat

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Oh I see what you mean, yea I don't just leave it on drive except for the real hard stuff at high speeds.

Truck went awesome on the beach, gave it loads more sh*t than last time and temps stayed 80-90'c and only once got up to about 95'c for a couple of minutes then came right back down to 80ish.

Stoaked. Fan clutch fluid did the trick. No ened for the radiator and trans cooler setup now

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:53 pm

i'd still be putting an external cooler for the auto in.

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:38 pm

crazyclark31 wrote:i'd still be putting an external cooler for the auto in.

Yea but leaving the standard one in there right? And just hooking an external one up in series before the radiator one?

Will leave as-is for now. If the trans was running too hot it would heat the radiator water up which the temp gauge would tell me I'm assuming.

Will look into external trans cooler over next few months. Out of curiosity, what do you guys recommend running? Length? Height? Rows? etc.

2MEKE
Hard Yaka

Postby 2MEKE » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:10 pm

bronx89 wrote:If the trans was running too hot it would heat the radiator water up which the temp gauge would tell me I'm assuming

You know what they say about assuming....the factory gauge will definitely help you in that respect.
My aftermarket gauge moves between 80 and 100 yet the factory gauge doesn't move at all.

As for leaving the factory auto cooler in line I can't comment.
I only have the external one and have had no problems in the last 30,000km.

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:57 pm

2MEKE wrote:You know what they say about assuming....the factory gauge will definitely help you in that respect.
My aftermarket gauge moves between 80 and 100 yet the factory gauge doesn't move at all.

As for leaving the factory auto cooler in line I can't comment.
I only have the external one and have had no problems in the last 30,000km.

I do have an aftermarket gauge, no way I trust factory gauges for water temps on my cars and trucks haha

wsr4x4
Driver/Navigator

Postby wsr4x4 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:33 pm

leave the factory one there and run in series (before) your factory one. The factory ones actually work really well, Ive seen people bypass the factory one and just use external then run into over heating issues. So id run just the factory one of yeay even better both

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

wsr4x4 wrote:leave the factory one there and run in series (before) your factory one. The factory ones actually work really well, Ive seen people bypass the factory one and just use external then run into over heating issues. So id run just the factory one of yeay even better both

Yep exactly what I'm thinking of doing, just looking around online trying to find a nice cheap (as in price not quality) one to fit up. There used to be awesome ones on Ebay (UK I think or maybe US) but don't seem to be on there anymore.

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Been reading up and asked a few long-time off-road pro's and they all reckon do the aftermarket oil cooler in series AFTER the standard one especially if I'm going to be using it on-road as much/or more than off-road. Placing it before the standard one is pointless as when the fluid gets into the radiator it will just pull the heat from the radiator water. Letting the standard cooler do its thing then letting the aftermarket cooler provide additional cooling is apparently far more effective. Makes sense. Have just purchased a Haydens cooler from the US will get it in as soon as it arrives.

Anyone able to tell me which hose on the radiator would be the return from the standard cooler? (1KZ-TE KZN130 '95 Surf).

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:08 pm

the only thing youre going to acheive by putting it in series AFTER the radiator is keeping the auto cooler, your still going to dump just as much heat into the radiator and as we all know with these engines it is the engine that cooks from heat and not the auto.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experiance!

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 pm

personally i'd be just bypass the radiator completely. Then the oil isn't heating the water or the water isn't heating the oil. Just air keeping both cold.

wsr4x4
Driver/Navigator

Postby wsr4x4 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm

Go drive your truck put your hand on the bottom tank you will actually feel its quite cool nowhere near as hot as up top. Like an engine a trans has a working temp so if your external cooler cools it further than that going through the rad will only bring it slightly back up to correct temperature right. also think about this say you have X amount of heat to dump would you rather the bulk b dumped into your water or out to the air? the first cooler the atf arrives at is going to have the largest temperature diffarential to the cooling meduim so is going to exchange more temperature.
But hey tbh its not the end of the world what order you put them in- im just saying thats how I would do it and thats not coming from being a internet expert its from real life experience.
BUT DO DEFINATLY RUN BOTH OK!!
thats my advice do what you will.
But hey was I right about the fan- or was I right about the fan?? 8)

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Hahaha.

Yea no way I'm going to ditch the standard one in the radiator as I know a load of guys who have had issues with their transmissions running too cold and overdrive and gear selection being an issue.

So are you saying you'd run it before or after the standard one?

Also, with the overheating issues these auto Surf's have, is it the hot engine water that overheats the trans? Or the hot trans fluid that overheats the water (and the trans)?

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:26 pm

as far as running cold goes i would check what the water temp in the bottom tank is. if its fairly cool its not going to warm up the auto by much.
i would just put a bypass thermostat on the trans cooler line. the auto will heat itself up faster than the radiator will.

the auto surfs have the problem of trans cooler restricting radiator outlet. then theres the problem of trans heating up the water going into the engine (trying to cool with warm/hot water).

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Ok so it's the trans fluid that heats up the coolant? And the trans cooler that promotes engine overheating by restricting coolant flow into the engine?

So it'd be best to install the new Haydens cooler I have on the way before the standard cooler in series. Haven't heard of the bypass thermostat before. Would plumbing the external trans cooler before standard one be no good in your opinion without the thermostat bypass?

Just don't want to plumb it up in a way that is completely pointless or even makes it worse. And also like hearing everyones opinions and info! Cheers all!

wsr4x4
Driver/Navigator

Postby wsr4x4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Put it before the standard radiator cooler - so the oil flows through the aftermarket external cooler then through the factory radiator cooler ok.
FYI with the standard syatem In my experience the only time the trans gets really hot ie the red dash light comes on is when the radiator water gets too hot. thats why I said in the first place sort ya cooling system (fan) and you shouldnt have any problems. but an external cooler ant gunna hurt.

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:13 am

Yea thanks will do it before then. Ah so there is a warning light for auto overheating? Sweet was worried there wasn't.

Cheers for the fan clutch fluid heads up, the only one out of the million people i spoke to that even mentioned checking and topping it up!! And it did the trick. Still can't get over how loud it is now :twisted:

1justin
Hard Yaka

Postby 1justin » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:14 pm

have you got a egt gauge? from comments ive heard over heating is the syemtom of high egts so maby look to make sure your egts arnt to high, also running your truck for a shorts periods with high egts is probably more likely to get your head to a tempreture where it will warp or crack or blow the head gasket being steel then your water temps, so while both things need to be checked egts also need to be watched as much as water, like others have said by the time your water temp gauage starts to move the damage is already done

i put one in my 1kz and keeping it sitting on about 2000rpm moters up a hill at about 500c but if i put my foot to the floor will go up to about 650C

the guy at the shop said never to let a 1kz to go over 700C

(sorry if iv repeted someone else as i didnt read all 5 pages)
i have a manual radiator and a small trans cooler and the a/t temp light hasnt come on yet

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Yea, it's on the to-do list. Waiting for my auto cooler to arrive to fit that (thinking about by-passing the standard one to get it extra cool) then will look at the EGT gauge.

Xr246
Hard Yaka

Postby Xr246 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Has anyone thought of putting a 16" electric fan or 2 12" electric fans on the back of there radiator to replace to viscos fan?

I have tired to re oil my fan hub and i didnt really notice a diff. Got pissed off and ended up drilling a hole through the hub and putting a bolt in and now it really roars. Prob not good in the long term with the bolt making it be off balance and might damage the water pump
Ive got a KZN185 and only have issues with temps raising when towing a small boat.

I have upgraded the radiator from 27mm thick to a 46mm
Changed thermostat to a 71c
External trans cooler in series before intank cooler
New exhaust 2 and a half inch and straight thru muffler
Reoiled fan hub (no change in noise)

After locking the fan hub i put a 1700kg block on concrete on a big tandem axle trailer and headed for a hill. It still got a little hot but wasnt a long enough climb to really test it and i was booting it

If anyone has any ideas on how i can improve the heating up of the engine while towing would be greatly appreciated, Or any ideas on running electric fans?

When i first got a the truck i would tow my boat from christchurch to the westcoast and up porters pass i was be doing 15kms with the gauge on 3/4

Cheers

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:54 am

Wow, 3/4 on standard gauge? That's hot!!
Yea a mate of mine has 2x 10" fans and it works good, mind you his is manual. I don't think 2x 12" ones would fit? Do what I want to do, run biggest dual fans possible, hook them up to a thermostat as well as a hardwired on/off switch so when you know it's going to get hot fast you can flick the switch and force them on early. You'll also have a little gain in power as the viscous one takes a fair bit of effort to run - after oiling mine noticed a substantial loss in mid-high rev power.

Xr246
Hard Yaka

Postby Xr246 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:48 am

I've had it il just below the red once. Not ideal at all
My top tank was at 105c and bottom only around 70c makes me think the thermostat is not flowing enough but it's brand new or water pump not pumping but that would be odd

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:01 am

Thats one of the design flaws of having a thermostat at the inlet to the engine of the water cycle isn't it? It won't be opening fully as it has 70 degree water going past it in your situation, the termostat is not getting the 105 reading that it would if it was on the outlet (top hose).

Or maybe your cooling is too efficient :lol:
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:57 am

Save your money :( , you may get away with a new head :o , that's if it doesn't dump all the water and seize the motor, then you can blame your Toyota hand grenade :oops: , got nothing to do with the person holding the pin.

THERES NONE SO BLIND AS THOSE THAT WILL NOT SEE,

FITZY.

Xr246
Hard Yaka

Postby Xr246 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Lemon of a surf has had new head not long before I did all the other things
Since I have a company vehicle and only drive it when I take the boat away I might try remove the thermostat and just run if cold all the time, or sell it and buy another tow vehicle

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:52 pm

What kind of mods are you running? Bigger tyre,winch,bar workand spot lights all can be contributing factors to these thing heating up. Also if the trans is working its arse off even with and external cooler it can heat the water up.
On the one of the aussie forums they did a test and found that twin electric fans will never pull as much air as a viscous fan. When it comes to cooling they know their stuff.

Also check the intake manifold for gunge build up as it can restrict air flow quite a bit. Getting rid of the egr makes a massive difference.
Check you injectors to. if they are worn they can be causing high egts which will in turn heat your water up

Xr246
Hard Yaka

Postby Xr246 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Surf is standard. Standard wheels just some small a/t tyres
I only use it for towing a small boat very frustrating

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:32 pm

get the trans and/or injectors checked. Stuffed trans will heat things up. worn injectors will give to much fuel which will cause high temps as well.

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Is checking the injectors on these an easy thing that can be done at home?

Return to “Toyota”