2wd steering mod for Terrano

Moderator: Mark

wax
Hard Yaka

Re: 2wd steering mod for Terrano

Postby wax » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:18 pm

Its been awesome on my setup. I am also using the steering box conversion as well

cowman
Driver/Navigator

Postby cowman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:10 pm

If any one has spare adjusters that are tapped out, a centre link and tie rods I would be keen to buy them, just dont have the time to get it together and have the truck off the road. pm me
1992 Nissan Terrano

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:40 pm

slide wrote:Went for a first big drive, and it handled terribly...

Got wheel alignment done, and is handling much better now. had a touch of toe out which explains the poor cornering. Have yet to really punt it through high speed corners, but roundabouts etc seem waay better

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:14 pm

cowman wrote:If any one has spare adjusters that are tapped out, a centre link and tie rods I would be keen to buy them, just dont have the time to get it together and have the truck off the road. pm me

Seems like there is a market for these.

Perhaps a business minded person with some time on their hands could bang together a few "bolt on kits" for a reasonable price. Perhaps get an idea of demand, a 50% deposit taken (or whatever) on orders and kits prepared with final payment on delivery/pickup. Perhaps an NZ/Aussie cottage industry (although limited).

Just a thought.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:59 pm

im sure it would go well, makes it easer for people to do mods.

as long as ya have the "will not take responsibility" on it should be allright.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:30 am

I could probably do that....just need a source for the adjuster sleeves. Got me thinking now....some hex bar...and a drill....etc. I'll come back to ya's once I sort it out (Price etc). Anyone interested if I can put it all together?

cowman
Driver/Navigator

Postby cowman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:09 am

id be interested, perhaps you could get sleeves from the wreckers and then do an exchange thing with the kit buyer, e.g x $ off if you give me your original adjusters after install? then again might be easier/cheaper to make them yourself if you had the knowhow.
1992 Nissan Terrano

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:06 am

Yeh, thought of the exchange thing...maybe it could be done with options....like with or without new adjusters (exchange) with or without a brace (and or idler), and with or without new 4wd tre's. I'm pretty flat out with work right now...but I'll look into it.

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:40 am

ill be interested death inc...let me know what you decide...just curious what is the tap needed for the adjuster size and metric fine/normal ect...i have huge range of taps and lathe at home...happy to help out where i can if needed

Edit: just read my reply and just confirming it was intended to lend hand where could not take/under others work...

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:44 pm

You'd need a 16X1.5 LH thread, and a 18X1.5 RH thread(spark plug/oxy sensor) taps to make "em from scratch, or just the 18mm one to mod the stock adjuster.
The cheapest way would be to make 'em from 32mm round, with a couple of flats machined into it. New adjusters ex us are around $us 105 pair to land here.
Last edited by DEATH_INC on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:13 pm

If I can get my hands on a couple of cheap s/h adjusters, the basic kit should be around $265 exchange. (centerlink, 2wd tre's and exchange adjusters/locknuts)

Or $379 if I make new adjusters (centerlink, 2wd tre's and new adjusters/18mm locknuts). you can use your current 4wd tre's and lh thread locknuts.

or $435 with new 4wd tre's (using your old lh thread locknuts.) I'll price up some lh thread locknuts...but the 14mm one's i got for another project were around $20 each!

I can do idler braces for $89.

For the works, New Idler, Idler brace, centerlink, 4 X tre's and new adjusters would be $620. (plus whatever the lh thread locknuts are if required)

Plus freight

I'll have to confirm these...I'll call them an estimate for now (I was too busy to get exact prices today) but it'll be pretty close.

btw I hope this is ok and doesn't break any site rules...

cowman
Driver/Navigator

Postby cowman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:31 pm

i asked three guys on trademe with wrecking d21's for adjusters,
$25 ea side
$20 ea side
$20 for a pair ...

what brand of parts would you use death inc?
1992 Nissan Terrano

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:43 am

Whatever BnT/Autolign can supply (work account). I always liked the 555 stuff, but they are no longer doing it. Probably be Camelot. I can prolly get them to bring in the Moog stuff, but it'd be at least 3 months, and I'm not sure of the costs. I'm not rich (and wouldn't be getting rich of these either :lol: ) so I wouldn't be able to stock lots of them ...
Ta for the adjuster prices. @ $20 a side, that's about the same as making them from scratch, but a heap less work. And being oe, less likely to attract attention from the wof guys.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:31 pm

ive got a couple of old bent tierods etc with the adjusters on them, i know where one of the is, but ill have to find the other,

Id be happy to donate to the cause if your willing to pay postage?

wouldnt cost much, maybe around $3 ?

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:58 am

Sounds good. Pm me your bank acc #. Be good to have some exchange one's tapped and ready to go anyhow. I know this is a stumbling point for guys...having to find someone/having the vehicle off the road....

cowman
Driver/Navigator

Postby cowman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:23 am

yea, itd be easy enough to do after work if everything was ready to go, then wheel alignment the next day. but if its your only vehicle your screwed really :)
1992 Nissan Terrano

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:33 am

DEATH_INC wrote:If I can get my hands on a couple of cheap s/h adjusters, the basic kit should be around $265 exchange. (centerlink, 2wd tre's and exchange adjusters/locknuts)

Or $379 if I make new adjusters (centerlink, 2wd tre's and new adjusters/18mm locknuts). you can use your current 4wd tre's and lh thread locknuts.

or $435 with new 4wd tre's (using your old lh thread locknuts.) I'll price up some lh thread locknuts...but the 14mm one's i got for another project were around $20 each!

I can do idler braces for $89.

For the works, New Idler, Idler brace, centerlink, 4 X tre's and new adjusters would be $620. (plus whatever the lh thread locknuts are if required)

Plus freight

I'll have to confirm these...I'll call them an estimate for now (I was too busy to get exact prices today) but it'll be pretty close.

btw I hope this is ok and doesn't break any site rules...

I can confirm this pricing as correct.
I can do the 14mm l/h thread locknuts for around $30 pair. (damn expensive little buggers)

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 pm

The consensus on NPORA seems to be that the only potential weak link would be the 2wd inner TRE.

I got Moog TREs for the swap recently while in the US. The Moog 'Problem Solver' item is almost twice as heavy as a stock generic item. Its also 2-3mm thicker and has a 'patented design' wank wank balljoint pressed into it. I ordered 2x moog TREs and 2x cheapies as backup/comparison. They screwed up my order but got the right parts in the end. I also managed to get a Moog 2wd centerlink which I stuffed in my luggage.

Attached is pics with some part numbers.

I paid 27usd each for the Moog 2wd inners through rockauto.com, I had them shipped domestically but I am pretty sure rockauto do international shipping.

Also, alot of Moog and 555 parts are interchangeable/the same. If it says 555 or Moog on it, its the same heavy duty shit.
Attachments
cheaptierod.jpg
correcttierod.jpg
differences.jpg
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

fullthrottle
Shuttle Queen

Postby fullthrottle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:27 am

lax2wlg wrote:The Moog 'Problem Solver' item is almost twice as heavy as a stock generic item.

Out of interest, do you know what the thread size is on those?

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Its the same thread size as a stock 2wd inner, which makes things easy. Each Moog TRE comes w/ an adjusting nut and cotter pin too.

I got some Moog HD 4wd adjusters too, maybe I can send em to DEATHINC to get them tapped to accept the 2wd inner?

Hey what do you guys think is the next fuse in the steering setup?? ie combining the 555/Moog 2wd mod with idler dummy box.... at what point is the steering so beefed that a hard enough hit would just tear the TRE mount off the knuckle?!

Not that I am into thrashing stuff, but as you know, sometimes things happen...

fullthrottle
Shuttle Queen

Postby fullthrottle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:57 pm

I've heard of massey fergusion TRE's being used before, but something is going to give in this setup. Might as well be something fairly cheap and easy to replace like the TRE.

After seeing my TRE bend, which also bent the idler arm, that idler arm needs more strength. The only way to do this without affecting the WOF is to install the dummy steering box. Well so my local WOF guy tells me anyway.

I must say after installing this combination and getting a good wheel alignment (thanks skid) it drives really well.
Will have to give it some full lock in the ruts and see if it likes that :-)

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:31 pm

fullthrottle wrote:I've heard of massey fergusion TRE's being used before, but something is going to give in this setup. Might as well be something fairly cheap and easy to replace like the TRE.

After seeing my TRE bend, which also bent the idler arm, that idler arm needs more strength. The only way to do this without affecting the WOF is to install the dummy steering box. Well so my local WOF guy tells me anyway.

I must say after installing this combination and getting a good wheel alignment (thanks skid) it drives really well.
Will have to give it some full lock in the ruts and see if it likes that :-)

Yeah I currently have a brace on the idler, but rather than band aid it, I think dummy box will be mighty cool.

Did you bend a TRE with the 4wd or 2wd setup? What tyre size were you running and did it take much to bend it?

Also, I like your front bar. Got any closeup pics?

fullthrottle
Shuttle Queen

Postby fullthrottle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:12 pm

lax2wlg wrote:Did you bend a TRE with the 4wd or 2wd setup? What tyre size were you running and did it take much to bend it?

Also, I like your front bar. Got any closeup pics?

Bent with the 4wd setup. Was waiting for it to break before buying the 2wd setup. Tyres: Maxxis Bighorn MT762 32 x 11.5 x 15

Sure, bar work done bar Wellington Towbars. It's going back into their shop next week for the final phase of work.
Winch mounted with lovely big LED bar light. Here is the original work...

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 25&t=32005

Cheers

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:53 pm

fullthrottle wrote:I've heard of massey fergusion TRE's being used before,

The problem with these is they have to bend them to make 'em work. And being fully threaded it's fairly obvious, and not wof able here.

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby BogBoy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Just done this to mine after failing a wof even with a new TRE to TRE set up

Will post results once I get wheel aliment done :)

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:35 pm

lax2wlg wrote:maybe I can send em to DEATHINC to get them tapped to accept the 2wd inner?

Sorry, missed this bit. No worries, shoot me a pm and I'll tell ya where to send them...

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby BogBoy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Wow what a difference!!! Best $190 I have spent on the 4wd so far!!

Does any one have a old steering box I can gut and put in place of the idler arm?

Thanks all for your help!! :D

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Took my wagon for cert with this setup other day and he mentioned it needs certifying. So obviously if someone wants to be a wa**er about it they can, the certifier was good about it though as in no problems with it and had good look over it....Just a heads up.

My wagon felt very different to drive with this setup i only had a toe alignment done to -1 so hoping with full alignment it will come right as when turning it gets to a certain point in the steering where is becomes "loose" feeling and feels as though wheel folding (dangerous feeling)

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:14 am

Cheers Paul and thanks for your welcome on the other thread...

Bogboy... apprarently any D21 box will work as an idler on our RHD trucks, but apparently the pitman taper changed in model year 1992 to a slightly larger taper. So depending on the year of your truck, I guess its just a case a getting either a 1986-1992 or 1992-1995 box. Would be keen to see some pics of your setup.

It seems, around the world in Nissan groups, that the 2wd steering mod is an inherently superior system for a lifted Terry, but because the tie rods are no longer following the angle of the upper control arm, on-road manners can be compromised.

For off road use, the system is very durable, but on the road, it can exemplify wear & tear in the rest of the IFS.

I have found that replacing front sway bar, upper control arm bushings and tension rod bushings (compression rod, strut rod, whatever) make a DRAMATIC difference in controlling bump steer and general road manners.

BTW Paul, if you need a set of tension rod bushings, I have some red poly ones from the US w/ about 200km of use on them, complete w sleeves... got some replacement Moog ones cheap recently for the hell of it... PM me if you are keen

cowman
Driver/Navigator

Postby cowman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:23 am

+1 on the radius arm bushes!
made an incredible difference in my truck. they dont look anywhere near as bad as what they are until you take em off. be prepared to fight those nuts and bolts to get them off though! make sure the thread is clean before you start undoing it and be patient :D
1992 Nissan Terrano

Return to “Nissan”