Cheap alignment

george.ene
Driver/Navigator

Cheap alignment

Postby george.ene » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:36 pm

Any places in CHC that do cheap wheel alignments (within reason, anyone can do a home-job alignment)?
My Auto/DIY Blog:
http://www.georgeene.com

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Re: Cheap alignment

Postby mumbls » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:11 pm

rock up an ask your local to do it for a slab of beers

george.ene wrote:Any places in CHC that do cheap wheel alignments (within reason, anyone can do a home-job alignment)?
drinking hatorgade

george.ene
Driver/Navigator

Postby george.ene » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Couldnt hurt, up until now their 12er has cost me $70
My Auto/DIY Blog:

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:56 pm

alignments arent dear mate, money would be far better spent looking for somewhere that knows what there doing rather than somewhere cheep Image

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Sadam_Husain wrote:alignments arent dear mate, money would be far better spent looking for somewhere that knows what there doing rather than somewhere cheep

wot he said

you get what you pay for

if you want a cheapie and have lots of money to fork out for new tyres on a regular basis because of crap alignments, then by all means get the cheap alignment done

if you want a good alignment that makes your car handle good and promotes good tyre wear, then start looking for someone who has been doing them for years and doesn't just do what the computer tells them to do like a lot of the newer tyre shops these days.

It takes years to pick up the little tricks
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:29 am

skid wrote:
Sadam_Husain wrote:alignments arent dear mate, money would be far better spent looking for somewhere that knows what there doing rather than somewhere cheep

wot he said

you get what you pay for

if you want a cheapie and have lots of money to fork out for new tyres on a regular basis because of crap alignments, then by all means get the cheap alignment done

if you want a good alignment that makes your car handle good and promotes good tyre wear, then start looking for someone who has been doing them for years and doesn't just do what the computer tells them to do like a lot of the newer tyre shops these days.

It takes years to pick up the little tricks

I'd say decades...I'm still learning shit, and been doing 'em on and off for 15 years (at least).
Avoid the beaurepairs and firestone company stores (some of the franchise one's are ok/good) as they normally just use fitters (My alignment 'tech' when I ran a frank allens (owned by goodyear like beauys) didn't have a clue)who just read the machine..green is good, red is bad :lol: . Try to talk to the tech and see how many questions he asks you when you say it's for a 4X4. (he should AT LEAST ask what it is, what mods and what you use it for) That'll tell you a lot.

russty
Bush Crasher

Postby russty » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:16 am

Just a warning that cheap may not be the answer. It may pay to check that they can do yours first.
i have just lifted my jeep(50mm).
I took it to firestone , and they said the swaybar dissconnects are loose and the sensors need calibrating.GRRRRR. It annoys me cause they knew it had been lifted and it takes me a bit of shagging around to get it in to town.( i cant just run it down the road or just drop it off for the day.

I said ,i can diconnect the sway bar in 20 secs and it dosnt have sensors on this model.

So its going to some one who knows how to do a wheel aligment on Tuesday.
Hope you have more luck than me

mbw
Bush Crasher

Postby mbw » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Anybody recommend a good place in Chch for wheel alignments then? I need to get mine done soon too.

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Postby mumbls » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:53 pm

without bring the reputation of ANY wheel alignment techinician in the country

its not hard to have someone turn up for a wheel alignment, put it up on hoist, print out a 'before'

then physcially push on wheels to bring it into the 'green' - manipulate worn balljoints - then hit print. walllllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

$100 bux 5 minutes work

the man wanted a cheap wheel alignment. the 'boys' are more likely to do a better job if they are being paid in beer, they get paid anyway, if someone is paying in beer eveyone, boss included is happy

drop off a slab..........

rangiora firestone...................................................................................jks
drinking hatorgade

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:52 pm

mumbls wrote:without bring the reputation of ANY wheel alignment techinician in the country

its not hard to have someone turn up for a wheel alignment, put it up on hoist, print out a 'before'

then physcially push on wheels to bring it into the 'green' - manipulate worn balljoints - then hit print. walllllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

$100 bux 5 minutes work

the man wanted a cheap wheel alignment. the 'boys' are more likely to do a better job if they are being paid in beer, they get paid anyway, if someone is paying in beer eveyone, boss included is happy

drop off a slab..........

rangiora firestone...................................................................................jks

what a load of shit.
what knob jockeys have you paid $100 for a 5 min wheel alignment.

a slab of piss might work if you know someone, but any respectable technician that has some dude rock up to their shop with a slab of piss under thier arm and asks to do his wheel alignment will tell them to get fukt

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:00 pm

try rick at 4wd accessories for an alignment, he probably wont do it for a slab of beer tho :roll: :lol:
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

firestonecruiser
Hard Yaka

Postby firestonecruiser » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:52 pm

hey mate i have been doing alignments for 12 years and i work for bridgestone. as someone said earlier in post firestone and beaurepairs only have fitters do the alignments this is bullshit. most of the bridgestone/ firestone stores have dedicated alignment techs. i would suggest to you to go see richard at bridgestone moorehouse ave, i done some of my training under him years ago,

cheers jono

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:01 am

I got a tub of old sump oil outback got a bit of dirt in it some leaves and the odd drop of clean rain water,but it's all yours when you get to your cheap service on your engine.Seriously thou do shit like that properly even if it takes a few weeks to save for it,pays dividends in the long run.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:10 am

firestonecruiser wrote:hey mate i have been doing alignments for 12 years and i work for bridgestone. as someone said earlier in post firestone and beaurepairs only have fitters do the alignments this is bullshit. most of the bridgestone/ firestone stores have dedicated alignment techs. i would suggest to you to go see richard at bridgestone moorehouse ave, i done some of my training under him years ago,

cheers jono

That was me. I guess I don't know about down there, but I've met and worked with a few from these chain stores up here, and most (not all) of them are alignment techs by name only.

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:06 am

You have had all the Cheap Shot replies :o , now if you want a good job at a fair price in CHCH the company I have used for years are Wheel Alignment Services 281 Tuam St. crn of Barbadoes and Tuam St, he has been doing alignments for as long as I have been in the trade :oops: ,well almost, he can do the check and make the adjustments. Remember a wheel alignment is not just a Toe In Toe Out check, or should that be ----

TOW IN TOW OUT,

FITZY.

oldblue
Hard Yaka

Postby oldblue » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:11 pm

What if I only just what toe in toe out adjustment on a Prado . Will that cost $100.00 Plus, Is there no one that can do this anymore?
"Oldblue" Electric to Manual Hub Conversion's 03 5447586

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:12 pm

oldblue wrote:What if I only just what toe in toe out adjustment on a Prado . Will that cost $100.00 Plus, Is there no one that can do this anymore?

A solid front end one? If you know what you want it set to, and don't want a guarantee on it, someone will do it cheap.
Having said that, I've done a couple of 'yotas that have been so seized it's taken longer than a normal alignment. Had to remove the tie rod and draglink and take it to the workshop to get it freed up :x Seen a couple of popped tre's from this too. Make sure yours is all nice and loose before you go.
I'll normally do solid fronts for the same price as a car...not much to adjust and all...

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:25 am

Hi Kev, I have checked and adjusted Toe in/out using a Tape Measure, Length of String , inner/outer adjustable rod and if very lucky someone may have a scrub board. I bet Richard has got something to check toe in/out. Very easy for me to say but not so easy for you to do. Measure front of rim or tyre at axle height (or close to)mark measurement spot, move vehicle till marked spot is at same point at rear and then measure again, if you can achieve 2mm wider at the back you will be close enough, do adjustments on tie rod, if it requires a lot of adjustment you may have to recentre the steering wheel, to do so adjust the steering box drag link.

GET ONE OF THE BOYS AROUND,

FITZY.
ps ; Tell Diane to stop hitting curbs .

oldblue
Hard Yaka

Postby oldblue » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:28 am

Fitzy, I used a stick system and all good, just asked to see if anyone still does the old system useing a mirror.( think it was Repco )
"Oldblue" Electric to Manual Hub Conversion's 03 5447586

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 am

Ha, Ha Kev, the science of wheel alignment is starting to take a bit of a dive when we are talking ---- Mirrors, Sticks and String but before the advent of the modern Alignment machines and technology that is how it was done. I have used the mirror machines and combined with the turntables you could achieve good results.

THERE WAS LIFE BEFORE COMPUTERS,

FITZY.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:34 am

Yup, the old Dunlop gauges. At least the one we had was. Some days I wander how much (if any) better these new machines actually are...

H2OLOVA
Hard Yaka

Postby H2OLOVA » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:27 pm

Jason at Hitech Wheel Alignment in Sydenham is pretty clued up

http://yellow.co.nz/y/hi-tech-wheel
***Got the balls, just ain't got the bucks***

george.ene
Driver/Navigator

Postby george.ene » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:26 am

So; long story-short. Stay away from places without a good rep. Get it done properly because it'll save in tires, bushes, diesel consumption, etc etc.

Also goto the two places:
Wheel Alignment Services 281 Tuam St. crn of Barbadoes and Tuam St

Jason at Hitech Wheel Alignment in Sydenham - pretty close to me, may give him a try after I'm done replacing all f*&^ed parts.

What are tires 2 go like? Any good/bad reviews on them?
I've had a recent dealing with them whereby I purchased all new MTs + an alignment, no mention of any upcoming surprises.

shortly after, I did my driver-side tie rod +cv so took it in for an alignment. with this alignment they mentioned that pretty much anything resembling rubber had to be replaced on both sides - bushes, upper+lower rods. Would have expected a recommendation for the side i damaged but not both sides?? sound fishy? Bare in mind it is an old work-horse that has been used for 4 wheel driving - 1992
My Auto/DIY Blog:

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:59 am

Na, anything 1992 probably needs a few bits done to be perfect. Old rubber bits get soft even if they aren't worn out, and will make the alignment results inconsistent. You can do the best you can to help compensate for this, but it won't be perfect. As long as you accept this there won't be a problem.
I'd say the reason they didn't mention it initially was that you'd come in for tyres, then got an alignment (add-on) rather than when you went in specifically for an alignment. It may not be the correct practice to do this, but I'd say it's pretty common.

mud_slinger
Hard Yaka

Postby mud_slinger » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:09 am

george.ene wrote:So; long story-short. Stay away from places without a good rep. Get it done properly because it'll save in tires, bushes, diesel consumption, etc etc.

Also goto the two places:
Wheel Alignment Services 281 Tuam St. crn of Barbadoes and Tuam St

Jason at Hitech Wheel Alignment in Sydenham - pretty close to me, may give him a try after I'm done replacing all f*&^ed parts.

What are tires 2 go like? Any good/bad reviews on them?
I've had a recent dealing with them whereby I purchased all new MTs + an alignment, no mention of any upcoming surprises.

shortly after, I did my driver-side tie rod +cv so took it in for an alignment. with this alignment they mentioned that pretty much anything resembling rubber had to be replaced on both sides - bushes, upper+lower rods. Would have expected a recommendation for the side i damaged but not both sides?? sound fishy? Bare in mind it is an old work-horse that has been used for 4 wheel driving - 1992

tyres2 go i would stay away from them, being in the industry myself they are rogues, the w/a machine they have is a heap, it cant be calibrated nor can it be repaired if it craps out due to no parts for it. the owner imported it from some middle eastern country. i have heard some horror stories and i have seen some myself.

and as jono said alignment techs are properly trained. sure i fitted tyres in my down time but does that stil make me a shit alignment tech? i have got a few people on here who can vouch for the jobs i did and have no complaints what so ever.
needs more curry

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:42 am

mud_slinger wrote:and as jono said alignment techs are properly trained. sure i fitted tyres in my down time but does that stil make me a shit alignment tech?

No of course not...I started there too. But PROPERLY trained is the bit I question. I've seen Beauys 'training' program and even the one at AUT (I think..one of the techs up here) is pretty questionable. I'm afraid nothing beats time in the saddle sorting out problems (not just setting them to spec).

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:08 pm

The best alignments are where the technician first checks tyre pressures, steering and suspension joints, and then does the alignment.
No good getting an alignment then needing another a month later because of having to replace a tierod...
Oh, and it pays to make sure your rims aren't buckled either. Jack it up and spin them first, some 4x4's get a pretty hard time :lol:

firestonecruiser
Hard Yaka

Postby firestonecruiser » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:38 pm

slide wrote:The best alignments are where the technician first checks tyre pressures, steering and suspension joints, and then does the alignment.
No good getting an alignment then needing another a month later because of having to replace a tierod...
Oh, and it pays to make sure your rims aren't buckled either. Jack it up and spin them first, some 4x4's get a pretty hard time :lol:

you are correct, first thing i do is check preesures, then suspension. on these modern alignment machines measurements are very accurate. i run the new hunter hawkeye elite which uses for cameras and targets that attach to wheel, best gear i have used. also run out compensation is vital, this lets the computer no if the rim is not true.people thick because they have a warrent everything is ok, but a couple of mm play in ome steering joint can make all the diffence to tyre wear

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:59 am

firestonecruiser wrote:
slide wrote:The best alignments are where the technician first checks tyre pressures, steering and suspension joints, and then does the alignment.

you are correct, first thing i do is check preesures, then suspension. on these modern alignment machines measurements are very accurate. i run the new hunter hawkeye elite which uses for cameras and targets that attach to wheel, best gear i have used. also run out compensation is vital, this lets the computer no if the rim is not true.people thick because they have a warrent everything is ok, but a couple of mm play in ome steering joint can make all the diffence to tyre wear

Here's something not everyone will agree with, but tyre pressures have very little effect on alignments unless they are a long way off. Ever played around on the machine and seen how much air you can let out of the tyre before the numbers start to change? It's more than you think.They do affect the way the vehicle drives however. And it is good practice. Checking steering components; yes! It's one of the things I don't like about the newer generation of machines where you don't jack 'em up to compensate 'em....no-one ever bl**dy checks the steering joints! Even worse are the beisbath (?) type machines where no-one ever compensates them either.

The bent rim thing isn't so critical, that's what compensating does, it makes the machine 'compensate' for bent wheels.

firestonecruiser
Hard Yaka

Postby firestonecruiser » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:16 pm

depending on which machine you run. compensation can be set on them all. biessbath included but most like the quick way and by pass it. my hunter hawkeye elite does both, i have the option of a rolling compensation or the jacking up compensation. i agree that anyone can set measurements to factory spec but when vehicle doesnt handle or cuts out tyres prematurely is when u need a tech that has spent time in the saddle

Return to “Tool Shed”