Hilux Surf 1KZ-TE Engine Running Temp?

Xr246
Hard Yaka

Re: Hilux Surf 1KZ-TE Engine Running Temp?

Postby Xr246 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Checking the injectors can not be done at home.
You will need to pull the injectors out and take them to a diesel pump shop
Injectors that are worn and inject more fuel will not cause more heat in your engine. It will cause black smoke. If the injectors were delivering less fuel and running lean it would cause issues

Any way today i got up early and started pulling apart everything in the cooling system to see what my problems could be. Was going to leave the water pump because what are the chances of the impeller breaking off. Pulled the water pump off to find the angle bits on the impeller missing. New water pump installed

Now i just need a viscos fan and ill take it for a test run

Anybody have a spare viscos unit for 1kz-te for sale?

Xr246
Hard Yaka

Postby Xr246 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Not sure how to put pics on this site
I just put the picture on my facebook heres the link

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Xr246 wrote:Not sure how to put pics on this site
I just put the picture on my facebook heres the link

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

:shock: :shock:

wft! Looks like they were never even there to start with?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

Xr246
Hard Yaka

Postby Xr246 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:23 pm

the edges are sharp and look like something use to be there like a break. the new water pump steel on the inpeller is 3 times the thickness so a lot better quality product

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Holey shit lol looks like a cheap chinese knock off one. How is your truck still alive.

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:09 pm

[quote="Xr246"]Checking the injectors can not be done at home.
You will need to pull the injectors out and take them to a diesel pump shop
Injectors that are worn and inject more fuel will not cause more heat in your engine. It will cause black smoke. If the injectors were delivering less fuel and running lean it would cause issues

sorry but this has been done many times.

A diesel motor works the opposite to a petrol motor when it comes to fueling issues.
With diesels The more air you can jam in with a given fuel amount the power you get with out exessive heat.
If it has black smoke then it is over fueling which will cause high combustion temp and exhaust temps and will melt pistons/crack heads. Anyone with an egt gauge will tell you this.

Xr246
Hard Yaka

Postby Xr246 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:16 pm

I've towed the boat all over the South Island like this traveling very slow on hills very surprised my truck is still alive!! It got hot quite a few times. Very lucky I'd say has bad a new head tho just before I brought it.

I should of known that being a quailified heavy diesel mechanic for 7 years now. On earth moving gear tho never have heating issues like these tho

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:19 am

So if my truck is not spitting any black smoke even under load and giving it shit is there any point in checking the injectors?

bang-thud-thump
Hard Yaka

Postby bang-thud-thump » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:04 am

That pump is what no coolant does for your engine. The impeller just rots away. Hoses go rock hard. Stuff leaks.
Coolant is the cheapest insurance available.

if you are concerned about the auto cooler in the tank (even when by passed which it always should be - not in line with an air to oil unit)than have a look at it when you get the tanks removed to get it rodded out.

I would think it wouldnt make sod all difference.

Using a garden hose tells you it isnt completely blocked only, not that 25% is gummed up.

Its as good as feeling the gas exiting the tail pipe to determine EGT.

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:11 am

So you're saying the standard one shouldnt be used at all but can stay in there, and only an air to oil one should be used? Would you say my 9" x 6" x 3/4" would be big enough?

Oh and my AT Oil light came on again yesterday on the beach before going near any water so the AT must def be overheating..

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:24 am

not really if you go on the beach. Not sure how many rows that is but mines a 25 and i think its a bit small.

1justin
Hard Yaka

Postby 1justin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:27 pm

gez no fins that must be an old pump weird replacing a head and not checking the water pump, lucky it survived so long(water pumps fins will rust if you dont use antifreeze along with other things in your cooling system)

(injectors)if you just want to see if they are causing a tempreture problem would be alot cheaper to just put in the egt gauge than get all your injectors checked, but if its old can be a good idea anyway if there not correct, will help with fuel efficieny,

intercoler
water injection
higher boost
can all help bring temps down

is your at cooler still going through the raidator cooler aswell?
if so thats weird that with that much cooling would still over heat should cheack that its pumping properly and that theres no blockages, guess a cheap way of doing that is one pipe leaving the trans is hot and one is cold will tell you if theres a block

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 pm

1justin wrote:gez no fins that must be an old pump weird replacing a head and not checking the water pump, lucky it survived so long(water pumps fins will rust if you dont use antifreeze along with other things in your cooling system)

(injectors)if you just want to see if they are causing a tempreture problem would be alot cheaper to just put in the egt gauge than get all your injectors checked, but if its old can be a good idea anyway if there not correct, will help with fuel efficieny,

intercoler
water injection
higher boost
can all help bring temps down

is your at cooler still going through the raidator cooler aswell?
if so thats weird that with that much cooling would still over heat should cheack that its pumping properly and that theres no blockages, guess a cheap way of doing that is one pipe leaving the trans is hot and one is cold will tell you if theres a block

Yep still running both, external first. Both pipes get hot, so must be pumping fine? I think my tube and fin cooler is just too small.

8cyl Davies Craig one is going to fit lets hope this finally sorts the auto trans overheating issue.

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:19 am

Never updated this thread. Ended up having to ditch in-rad cooler as they are bad news either way they are hooked up. Running a big 8cyl DC cooler on it's own with a genuine 71'C Toyota thermostat, cleaned and flushed out radiator, fan clutch oil replacement and AC fan switch. Temps are soooooo cool now. Def recommend doing this for your auto surf especially if it goes on the beach. Had about a 15'C drop in temps under all conditions on and offroad compared to before hand.

Also stopped the AT Oil Temp light coming on so that paired with the low engine temps mean the AT is running nice and cool too. And cooler trans equals longer lasting trans.

Return to “Toyota”