over night Canterbury trips

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

over night Canterbury trips

Postby oljamesyboy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:28 pm

ok well Easter is nearly hear so have decided to get away for a night or two over the long weekend but my question is where?

would rather it was in Canterbury area.

some options i have are

old townsend hut (only a short hour drive)
lake Sumner (hard to get access)
head up Rangitata river then possibly up to havelock valley

anyone done any of these trips and can tell me bit more about them (grade,things to look out for,etc)

any more suggestions for places to go? have yet to do a over night trip so quite short on ideas.

only got a terrano with 31 mud's and snorkel so nothing to extreme :lol:

cheers in advance

handydog
Driver/Navigator

Re: over night Canterbury trips

Postby handydog » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:52 pm

I am keen on doing the same thing over Easter (wife is working so I am at a loose end)... So if you are happier traveling with another vehicle, it would be good to tee something up.
The upper reaches of the Godley, Macauley, Rangitata, and Waimak all received a good dump of rain 6 weeks ago and existing "tracks" are now mostly long gone. Expect it to be rough and you will proberly have pick your route up river. Also need to be aware that areas of quicksand will have shifted. That said... all the rivers are now lower than usual so the crossings do not have to be deep :)

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:04 am

Go up the Rangitata and take heap of pictures so I can find out what it's like before winter :lol:
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:48 am

was going to head in for a couple night and do abit of hunting but things have changed so will be just a one night trip unfortunately. good Friday to Saturday

chances are will be heading up rangitata up to mistake flat hut.
was also thinking of Avoca river at lake Coleridge but i would say alot of hunters will be going in there at Easter because of the roar.

your welcome to tag along if this sounds like you

and if it goes ahead there will be plenty of photos
Last edited by oljamesyboy on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

hippy_
Hard Yaka

Postby hippy_ » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:28 am

I was up that way last year and the track from the Growler hut to mistake flat was washed out in lots of places. And after all that rain, I'd say it will worst now.

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:36 am

hippy_ wrote:I was up that way last year and the track from the Growler hut to mistake flat was washed out in lots of places. And after all that rain, I'd say it will worst now.

cheers for that might get hold of doc for current track conditions

The WEHI
Hard Yaka

Postby The WEHI » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:19 am

I get laughing rights if you get stuck james lol
The_wehi@hotmail.com
(027 788 1046)
pzj70,35's,Lockers,Winch and some stickers for added flex.
^^Soon to be on safari axles and 5.13's, 37's linked front and rear^^
Ln60 project (money pit) <-- Sold
Pzj77 Turbo/auto,33's .

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:41 am

haha thats about right lol you stil coming

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Have a look at Godley & Macaulay Valleys at head of Lake Tekapo. Both easier terain than the Rangitata. Makes a great overnight trip - drive from Chch (abt 3,1/2 to 4 hrs to roadend) - go up to Macaulay hut (1,1/2 to 3 hr from road end)on your 1st day, stay night, back out then up Godley (2 to 4 hr each way depending how far up you go - factory truck no mods will get to Red Stag Hut, gets lumpier from there) and back out and away home on 2nd day. Or hang out more nights. Macaulay Hut is fantastic place to stay.

hippy_
Hard Yaka

Postby hippy_ » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:28 pm

If you are go up to the Macaulay Hut, I'd be keen to tag along. I'd say that the hut could be full of hunters at Easter tho.... So pack a tent just in case.

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:29 pm

yea thats always another option buts its alot of ground to cover in a day will keep you posted to what we end up doing

The WEHI
Hard Yaka

Postby The WEHI » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:07 pm

so when and where you are camp leader lol
The_wehi@hotmail.com
(027 788 1046)
pzj70,35's,Lockers,Winch and some stickers for added flex.
^^Soon to be on safari axles and 5.13's, 37's linked front and rear^^
Ln60 project (money pit) <-- Sold
Pzj77 Turbo/auto,33's .

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:04 pm

haha doc said havelock river track is in good nick and well marked out there's a couple huts up there can stay in or camp next to

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:11 pm

hippy_ wrote:If you are go up to the Macaulay Hut, I'd be keen to tag along. I'd say that the hut could be full of hunters at Easter tho.... So pack a tent just in case.

Yep, good point - was up Godley last weekend and 3 trucks of hunters at Red Stag Hut.

hippy_
Hard Yaka

Postby hippy_ » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:27 pm

oljamesyboy wrote:haha doc said havelock river track is in good nick and well marked out there's a couple huts up there can stay in or camp next to

I guess that depends on which way you go........... Are you going to head in via Peel Forest/Mesopotamia or via Erehwon Station?? As we when in through Peel Forest/Mesopotamia. You can cross the Rangitata just after the station, but I havnt done that and I think you need permission from the station??

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:38 pm

hippy_ wrote:
oljamesyboy wrote:haha doc said havelock river track is in good nick and well marked out there's a couple huts up there can stay in or camp next to

I guess that depends on which way you go........... Are you going to head in via Peel Forest/Mesopotamia or via Erehwon Station?? As we when in through Peel Forest/Mesopotamia. You can cross the Rangitata just after the station, but I havnt done that and I think you need permission from the station??

yea was going to head in through peel forest

this is the track http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/article ... -track.php

handydog
Driver/Navigator

Postby handydog » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:45 pm

hippy_ wrote:

Don't need permission... But courtesy to the land holder goes a looooong way; Especially if you lunch your vehicle or need to be rescued.. just saying. :)

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:59 pm

I use to work up erewhon and do alot of huntng in tthere still, i wouldnt be racing up there myself in a terrano on 31s mate a hilux on 33s there is still alot of baning goimg on,some decent rocks up there, same with havlock

Best way to get track conditons would be rimg either lourie prouting at messi or colin drummond at erewhon and just tell them your intentions and they will tell you the conditions.

As for macaully its easter weekend and ever ma and his family will be up there,

Can put some photos up of rangitata tomorrow if u wish,track up to lawerence hut is a bit of a challange last time i went up

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:22 am

whats the beter track lawerence or havlock always thought lawerence hut was harder to reach?

Return to “Planning a trip?”