Korando 2.9 litre diesel

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Korando 2.9 litre diesel

Postby Korando29 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi, new to this site, have driven a 2005 Ssangyong Korando 2.9 recently. Who would be good to see to if a snorkel can be fitted to them in Christchurch? More for the dusty roads than serious river crossings. Have googled the vehicle specs - with Mercedes running gear underneath some parts may be bit expensive here in NZ but going to give it a go. Cheers.

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Re: Korando 2.9 litre diesel

Postby Korando29 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:00 pm

I have emailed to the following link as appears they fit snorkels to Korando 4wd though overseas. Pics look good. Await their reply.

http://www.fts4x4.com/en/products/?meth ... il&aid=200

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Depending what it costs to get one in New Zealand, Tom could always make you one easily enough I'm sure. If you check out his thread toms offroad and customs.

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Tried his email, not valid it seems? Last post 2010. Will check out his cellphone tomorrow - but is this guy still in business? Cheers for the pointers so far.

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:18 pm

He sure is still in business, http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=27391 that's his thread with all the good work he does.

Email: tomsoffroad@yahoo.com
Phone: 027 407 2452

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Cheers, email sent tonight. My mistake , was looking for a website.

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:25 pm

Had a good chat to Tom, bit out of my way as I live south of Chch. Anyway sourced an after market snorkel kit from Taiwan - might be a copy but the specs/pics look okay, waiting for delivery in about a week. $NZ453.00 plus fitting.(shipping was $110.00). See what happens.

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:15 pm

After market snorkel imported and fitted - had to settle for fiberglass. Fitted by 4wd Upgrades in Chch. Something different! Getting a new bash plate made shortly - original one is hopeless. For interest sake standard ground clearance is 215mm from rear diff.
Attachments
fitting to air filter box.JPG
Korando 2.9 td.JPG

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Got rid of the original bash plate - too much ventilated and was worried about sharp things getting through! Replaced with one piece 3mm mild steel and taken back to the front drive shaft, 6 bolts though bit concerned about two bolt heads that may get the bash! Maintains front lowest point 215mm ground clearance, middle cross member 220mm. Goes okay up the Wilberforce Valley so far.
Attachments
original bash plate - Copy.JPG
new plate.JPG
new bash plate.JPG

madlux
Hard Yaka

Postby madlux » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Nice work. Dam those tints are dark!

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:41 pm

Recent outing in the Canterbury High country on partly private land. Twelve river crossings all up, some scrapes on the bash plate mainly due to the soft suspension. Did bottom out on the way out when the front left wheel slipped into a deep rut leaving the rear right wheel up high! ( I was crossing a bit of a boggy bit). With some shovel work and using the vehicle jack was on my way again. Took it pretty slow. River had flooded back in Nov 2013 taking out a chunk of the track. Slid the tow bar off too and rotated the snorkel head back facing to remove hang ups on the bush - thanks to others suggesting this somewhere on the forum.
What do others use their Korando's for?
Attachments
Korando will do.JPG
Near the headwaters on the way out.

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:23 am

Send Moriarty a message he has one of these and has done a few mods to it

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4037&hilit=korando
This is his build thread
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:05 am

Yes saw Moriarty's thread, that's what prompted me to put mine on here. I really want to keep near stock standard. Surprised no others haven't made an appearance since 2006?

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Replaced the original front shocks due to too much bounce, with Monroe Adventures. Went for a drive, heaps more control in the rough and better cornering at speed on the highway.
Attachments
Front suspension shock absorber 002.JPG

Mrferal
Stropper

Postby Mrferal » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:04 pm

Any one know where you can buy accessories for these lovely little jeeps, I'm quite impressed so far, did a couple of mountain pass crossings when the roads were closed, no chains, very good handling. Saw quite a few other brands that never managed to complete the Alpine crossing.

Mrferal
Stropper

Postby Mrferal » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:06 pm

madlux wrote:Nice work. Dam those tints are dark!

Where did you get the Tints done

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:37 am

Cool vehicle. I was reading recently that the 'korando' name is actually a portmanteau of the phrase 'Korea Can Do'

So it's their take on a Wrangler. But no doubt better built. We can't forget that Kia is Hyundai! And Hyundai make some of the best planes and boats in the world.

plus Korean women have arguably the best bodies out of all Asian women, so really, it's a win-win.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Korando is made by SsangYong. Just a pity that my vehicle being 2005 has only a drivers airbag which is odd for something not that old.

Tint was already there by the previous owner - done by Tint-a-Car 0800 846822 according to the log book.

Only real main accessorie for me was the imported snorkel which has worked well to date with a filter sock from Mudstick fitted for summer shingle roads in Canterbury high country.I do carry a small compressor behind the front seat for off road from Supercheap that plugs into the cigarette lighter (and it inflates tyres well), x2 ridge ryder branded recovery ramps (have used once in snow so far), spare jack, shovel, strop, upgraded the head lights with bit more powerful bulbs, changed tyres including spare to same tread from 15"to 16" 245X70X16 AT. Any spares such as oil filters from TM at half the dealers/garage price (about $26.00). Oil changes are easy on the Korando - filter up high so good for access. Best place to get the oil is usually from either Repco or Supercheap when on special as the sump takes 9.5litres. Have fitted black canvas seat covers too from Supercheap. And changed some internal lights to led type. Standard fire extinguisher in passenger glove box. That's about it.
Only real mechanical issue so far was a leaking head gasket, oil leak which was there from the previous owner - cost a bit to replace with the head taken off. And the alternator is mounted strangely so low down for a 4wd? Though still survives river crossings so far!

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:34 pm

Mercedes motors make oil changes so easy
my 4wd is not a truck

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:06 pm

Noticed some diff oil venting out of the breather hose today. Looking closer, oil appears as it should, i.e not discoloured. Had been in the hills earlier and crossed some small creeks but nothing deep at all? It was the few drops on the garage floor and splatter on the trailer tow bar that caught my attention. Any ideas appreciated.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:59 am

First step would be to open up filler bung to see how much is in the diff

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:50 am

You say you have been doing river crossings....
Have you extended the diff breather lines?
If not the hot diff can suck in water as it is rapidly cooled when under water...It can suck it thru pinion seals, bearing seals not just back thru the breather line.
This water can also change the levels in the diff (remember oil floats on water) So I would advise a fluid change if you haven't already....
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:14 pm

Appears there was a small amount of water in the diff - changed the oil. Have to re look at extending the breather.

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:27 pm

Forgot to update last year about my diff issue. No bloody water at all in the diff - it blew while i was towing my quad - oil all over the road. Seal went but still don't know why it blew? Earlier diagnois by mechanics was incorrect - water, yeah not! Replaced it with an expensive new Dayna diff last March - what a pain, never blown a diff in any of my earlier 4wds. A big thanks to having AA cover - they sent a transporter to pick up my vehicle while my mate hooked the trailer onto his 4wd and we carried on with our hunt trip.

Wonder if the North Koreans had an input into these Korando's? South Korea watch out!

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:45 pm

i'm surprised there is an aftermarket diff centre available for the korando. you wouldn't think the demand would be there. Any other aftermarket stuff for them? Do they have a big following in a particular country?(don't say Korea!) :)

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:29 am

BlakeNZ wrote:i'm surprised there is an aftermarket diff centre available for the korando. you wouldn't think the demand would be there. Any other aftermarket stuff for them? Do they have a big following in a particular country?(don't say Korea!) :)

these things are built with commonly available parts in the running gear the axles are DANA i can't remember what the transmission is but the engine is a merc as has been mentioned previously
my 4wd is not a truck

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:33 pm

Appears the Korando's have been quite popular for off road in South Africa, to a lesser extent Australia. Quite a few in Europe including the UK. The Aussies seem to have quite a few parts for the Korando 3.2 petrol and 2.9 diesel - after market clutches, rear OE coil springs, front shock absorbers. I have seen lift kits for the Korando's in Auckland last year but lost the link. As said earlier by someone else the diff centre common sizing. Oil filters cheap as chips here in Chch - good after market brand for just under $30.00 ( i buy in bulk). Even TM here in NZ has a few bits and pieces at times.
I have a 48 " ridge ryder high lift jack also and either works under the rear tow bar (but close to the rear tyre) or now fits under the side chasis just missing plastic side steps (i have a rectangle piece of wood with a cut groove length ways that fits into the body work to spread the load so the jack has a platform to lift from). I tried lifting from the tyres with an 4wd mudstuck accessory that grabs hold of the rim spoke but the jack is pulled hard up against the body work - no good. Though have not had to use the high jack in anger yet!
One of the best buys i have got is the ridge ryder plastic sand tracks (similar to maxtrax) which i have used twice in the hills - works as advertised when either in soft mud/snow and even in a shallow river when i slipped on a gravel river bed and dug in.
I use 245/75/16 M/T tyres (factory are 15").

Korando29
Driver/Navigator

Postby Korando29 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Just for info, fitted extended rear & front diff beathers using what i was told was universal Ironman kit for my vehicle. Not quite really.
Initially removed my rear factory diff breather and replaced with the Ironman brass fitting. Then noticed the smaller internal diameter of the Ironman brass fitting compared with the larger internal diameter factory sizing for the hose though external thread the same. So removed the Ironman brass fitting and re installed the factory one with thread tape applied. Then fitted the Ironman green tubing and ran it along the axle upper housing then along the left upper chasis to the firewall securing along the way with zip ties. Using my high lift jack, checked the suspension travel to alllow a small amount of slack in the hose length. Then installed the Ironman filter bracket etc.

Working on the front diff, the Ironman supplied brass fitting thread size was slightly too big to fit? So fitted back the factory one and refitted the original rear diff breather hose (was about 1/2 metre long) as the front diff fitting had a fatter external tube size for the Ironman green tubing (what were Mercedes thinking?) and then secured just below the upper firewall. Out of the whole Ironman kit, only used part of the green tubing and their clamp for the rear diff - rest is surplus! I suspect more common 4wd kits work out better for the the majority?

Now to find the manual transmission breather - still looking!

rear diff breather.JPG
Ironman brass breather & hose.JPG

Return to “New Members and Beginners”