HAM Radio (Amateur Radio)

UBZ
Hard Yaka

HAM Radio (Amateur Radio)

Postby UBZ » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:58 am

So I have just passed my HAM exam and looking to get my first real transceiver . :mrgreen:

Any other HAMS on ORE ?
What radios / antennas are you using in your trucks as a mobile base station?
Currently looking a a Dual Band 70cm/2m transceiver to get started and have access to the national repeater network .

Any ideas / information appreciated .

73s
ZL4UBZ
LR110 ..... LJ50 project :roll:
Chris.

MikeL200
Gadget Guy

Re: HAM Radio (Amateur Radio)

Postby MikeL200 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm working through the training package to do the same.
Dual band seems the way to go, I like the idea of the IRLP system (D-Star?)
I would like to have base and mobile setups, if I ever win lotto.
Last edited by MikeL200 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
1989 LandCruiser MWD BJ74 13BT
33 Deserthawk XMT.

[color=#FF4000]If guns kill people, then,
Spoons make people fat,
Pencils mis-spell words,
and Cars make people drive drunk.

021 666812

Dr_PC
Hard Yaka

Postby Dr_PC » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Don't run one in my vehicle, and hardly ever turn the 2mtr at home on. But dual band is the way to go. Dad runs dual band in his car and a lot of the truckies that I know all run dual banders,
(Edited my keyboard couldn't spell)

ZL1TEV
Last edited by Dr_PC on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Dual band gives the best of both worlds: local chat on 2M repeaters, the National System and IRLP. If you shop around you might find something open enough to cover PRS and maybe even E-band as well then all the bases are covered.
A lot of people would recommend sticking with the well-known brands like Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom etc, but some of the cheap Chinese stuff's starting to perform quite well if budget's an issue.
Providing you get the antenna that's best suited to your intended use; where you mount it and the integrity of the electrical connections are usually the factors that have the greatest effect on actual performance.
I'd say the best bet is look for a decent second hand dual bander on TradeMe. Google the make and model to find out what reviews have been done on it there's usually heaps - comparisons between new models done by magazines etc...
Then get an HF rig, build a whopping great Yagi, put a few space-weather forecasting sites on your favorites list and see if you can make the Neons at the local servo flicker... ;-)
Welcome to the original World Wide Web - still going strong and neither Apple nor Google make a cent from it...

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:02 am

Im always looking at radio gear on trademe, I noticed this tonight, perfect for you mobil seat up.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =633180309

I have always wanted a hf but will wait for my chopper fly/sar days to start before forking out 4 k for a kit

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:26 pm

My Grandfather is pretty well set up in this stuff. I have also been going through the training stuff and when I get time do my exam.

I can see what he has lying around the house. I know he has a hand held for when he is traveling but I dont know to much about it.

his call sign is ZL2AIB
Don't Bend the Rules, Rule the Bends!!!

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:50 pm

I knew some of you guys must be hiding in the woodwork of ORE :)
The exam wasn't as hard as I expected , plus doing a trianing course first with a local club helped heaps .
Most of the old boys even admitted that they just memorized the right answers when they did it. :lol:

After a lot of research , I decided due to the fact the radio will be mobile and have a reasonably hard life , that I wanted a new radio and it would be worth the expense .

I narrowed it down to the Kenwood TM V71A or the Yaesu FT-8800R
Both provided the following
50w 2m/70cm Bands
Dual band monitoring & switch between ( 2 banks of controls - basically 2 radios in one box , with one antenna)
CTCSS/DCS
DTMF
Internet connectivity .
extended Rx into PRS bands
can act as a local repeater for handhelds
remote faceplate option

So I went shopping and ending up coming home with a Yeasu FT-8900R Quad Band
for a $100 extra I also got the 6M and 10M bands on FM :D
plus it auto hops repeaters as you drive and extended RX coverage into AM 26mhz Cb Bands .

Gyxx wrote: :P
Then get an HF rig, build a whopping great Yagi, put a few space-weather forecasting sites on your favorites list and see if you can make the Neons at the local servo flicker... ;-)
Welcome to the original World Wide Web - still going strong and neither Apple nor Google make a cent from it...

This comment made my day :)
HF Is where my interest really lies .
There is something appealing about being able to talk to anywhere in the world . but it's big $$ for a decent setup.
Chris.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:11 pm

UBZ wrote:I knew some of you guys must be hiding in the woodwork of ORE :)
The exam wasn't as hard as I expected , plus doing a trianing course first with a local club helped heaps .
Most of the old boys even admitted that they just memorized the right answers when they did it. :lol:

After a lot of research , I decided due to the fact the radio will be mobile and have a reasonably hard life , that I wanted a new radio and it would be worth the expense .

I narrowed it down to the Kenwood TM V71A or the Yaesu FT-8800R
Both provided the following
50w 2m/70cm Bands
Dual band monitoring & switch between ( 2 banks of controls - basically 2 radios in one box , with one antenna)
CTCSS/DCS
DTMF
Internet connectivity .
extended Rx into PRS bands
can act as a local repeater for handhelds
remote faceplate option

So I went shopping and ending up coming home with a Yeasu FT-8900R Quad Band
for a $100 extra I also got the 6M and 10M bands on FM :D
plus it auto hops repeaters as you drive and extended RX coverage into AM 26mhz Cb Bands .

Gyxx wrote: :P

This comment made my day :)
HF Is where my interest really lies .
There is something appealing about being able to talk to anywhere in the world . but it's big $$ for a decent setup.

I got quoted 2500 for a coden unit with auto tune antenna from On-track 4wd nz, that's my next radio :)

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:17 pm

KIWI_TERRANO wrote:I got quoted 2500 for a coden unit with auto tune antenna from On-track 4wd nz, that's my next radio :)

That's alot of $$ for a fixed band HF radio .
from what I could gather from a quick read up its basically a bush telephone line , with some added GPS , weather features .
perfect for an emergency contact system

but for that sort of coin you could sit the Amatuer license , buy a nice portable wide band HF transceiver and have access to all the bands .
Chris.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:33 pm

UBZ wrote:
KIWI_TERRANO wrote:I got quoted 2500 for a coden unit with auto tune antenna from On-track 4wd nz, that's my next radio :)

That's alot of $$ for a fixed band HF radio .
from what I could gather from a quick read up its basically a bush telephone line , with some added GPS , weather features .
perfect for an emergency contact system

but for that sort of coin you could sit the Amatuer license , buy a nice portable wide band HF transceiver and have access to all the bands .

don't understand all that jazz haha

just want one for mountain radio really, but with ham can you get 26mhz as well

falcon5nz
Winch master

Postby falcon5nz » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:31 pm

I've got on of the cheap wee Baofeng UV-5R hanheld's

Cost me NZ$70 with free shipping off eBay with the big battery as well.
The one I got is the 136-174/400-520 model so cover's 70cm, 2m, PRS etc. It's cheap, it's cheerful, I can throw it in my toolbag and if I #### it, well it's $70 not an Icom or Yaesu. Only negative is programming to memory ?(esp. repeaters) from the key pad can be a bit annoying, I'd spend the extra $10 and get a programming cable and download the free "Chirp" software.

73's

ZL4NB

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:21 pm

I was just looking at one of those Baofeng units. I didn't realize they'd be that much cheaper on E-Bay than Trademe - thanks for the tip.

MikeL200
Gadget Guy

Postby MikeL200 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:28 pm

http://www.alibaba.com

search for "amateur radio"
Mike
33 Deserthawk XMT.

Spoons make people fat,
Pencils mis-spell words,

021 666812

falcon5nz
Winch master

Postby falcon5nz » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:04 pm

This is better than the package I got, mine didn't have the USB cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Band-Radio-136-174-400-520-USB-Cable-3800mah-Battery-/380700946011?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item58a38b6e5b

Having both batteries is handy for obvious reasons. With the small battery, the radio is about the same size as a pack of smokes (less aerial obviously).

I've sat in the restaurant on Stewart Island while over there for the Tautuku Cup, and put the radio on the windowsill and had a contact with a mate in invers over the Bluff 5775 repeater using the supplied earpiece and no-one was any the wiser.

A friend who works for a well known radio shop down here has had 3 or 4 people come in with one of these to be programmed. They had paid $3-400 for them :shock: :shock:

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 am

Its going to be one of the things where you need to be happy that have your own needs sorted with the rig you choose...and then prepared for ppl to laugh at you :lol: .
Seriously be happy with your own choice, for me Im looking at Icom 706Mk2G, older yes but will suit me perfectly. (mount in my truck).This will cover all bands, and just get a H/H Dual band also to compliment it. Prob take a 80m and 40m whip with me on trips and fit as required.

Dont have a rig at home now but used to have a 720A hooked up to Hustler 5 band trapped vertical, got me anywhere I wanted to go.

Good to see a few hams here, must promote my ideas on getting back into it again.

73s

ZL2MUD

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 am

Yeah international feedback on Baofeng radios makes for some interesting reading .
The killer for me was no local support network.

I like the Look of the Icom IC-706 as a moblie HF rig , the Kenwood TS-50 and Yeasu FT-100D are similar older rigs .
What sort of moblie whip are you running for 80m :shock:
Most of the "High Q" , Multi-band , base coil loaded, HF mobile antennas available are extremely inefficient RF wise and certainly have a "snake oil" element to them .

I have gone with a "portable" buddiepole system which allows me to set up near full size antennas with minimal coil loading .
Chris.

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:21 am

Yup the 80m whip is a challenge :)
Probably run a long wire like a mountain radio and set it up at nights, still should get get plenty of action on 40 and 20 tho, simpler to set up.

We has a TS50 in our club rooms in Cambridge many years ago, was a great little unit, recommended.

Cheers

falcon5nz
Winch master

Postby falcon5nz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:14 pm

I do like the 706. We have one in the AREC Truck. As for 80m whips we have an Icom F7000 that we have a long wire for but can and do tune it on the ZC-1 whip on the back of the truck.

Here's a photo of the old girl, a 1974 International D1310, still on it's original tyres! (And yes it is for sale!)

My only issue with dual band (and this possibly is coming more from an AREC perspective than a straight out ham one) is that you lose one rig, you lose all comms. With a dedicated VHF & UHF you lose one, due to a fault, drowning, busted aerial, bullet hole etc you still have some form of radio. Same for having a 70cm rig that you can have PRS in, while it's handy and my Baofeng does have some programmed, I like having seperate radios to allow you to monitor 70cm as well. Obviously I feel a bit different about HF gear.

As for individual preference, I basically got the Baofeng cos I'm a poorly paid apprentice (damn training wage!) and it looked capable enough . Would I buy another if this one got destroyed? Absolutely. Would I love an Icom H/T with D-Star? Same answer!

Catalyst, awesome call!

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:39 am

man that international is cool. any more pics?

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:32 pm

Wondered if any of you fellas would be interested in this ICOM 144MHz model IC-25a unit in good working order before it goes on TradeMe. Transmitting from 1W up to 25W.

Just PM me.

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:49 am

falcon5nz wrote:My only issue with dual band (and this possibly is coming more from an AREC perspective than a straight out ham one) is that you lose one rig, you lose all comms. With a dedicated VHF & UHF you lose one, due to a fault, drowning, busted aerial, bullet hole etc you still have some form of radio. Same for having a 70cm rig that you can have PRS in, while it's handy and my Baofeng does have some programmed, I like having seperate radios to allow you to monitor 70cm as well. Obviously I feel a bit different about HF gear.

I agree with you about having some redundancy . I would love to have a seperate rig for every band , but the practicality in a medium size 4wd is limited .
As you can see , 40ch PRS / 26Mhz AM CB / Dual Band 144/440 HAM . Wouldn't really want to deal with any more Mic's , have a hard enough time getting the right one as it is .
The plan is to put the HF in the back , as it will be mainly used for Base camp antenna setups .

Love the international! Any more info , very interested in its electrical / Charging setup .
Chris.

falcon5nz
Winch master

Postby falcon5nz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:35 pm

I have PRS mounted where my ash tray was, and a UBCT-8 scanner DIN mounted under the head unit. I have a VHF Tait 2020 about to arrive back from repair as well as a Realistic TRC-453 CB that I need to get back and install. And a 706 with remote head kit might be good for you. At the Jock White and similar we have put the 706 in the cab and used it to get some separation.
The truck has 2 plugs on it 240VAC and 12VDC. It is plugged into 12v in the shed at all times. There is a manual battery isolator that links batteries when driving or on charge,and seperates them so the starting batter isn't discharged while operating. The 249 VAC connection runs all the lghts power points and a PSU to charge batteries in the field. We also have an inverter for 240 stuff. In the back cabin we have 2 bunks, sink, gas cooker. Radio-wise, all Icom for some reason, no ones sure how it happened it just did. R7000 Receiver, Commercial VHF, UHF (IC-410) & HF (F7000), IC 2820 D-Star dual band, 2 Ham VHF, 706 HF & airband.

No other pictures at the moment but I'll try and get some. Anything in particular?

curly12
Hard Yaka

Postby curly12 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:50 am

falcon5nz wrote:I have PRS mounted where my ash tray was, and a UBCT-8 scanner DIN mounted under the head unit. I have a VHF Tait 2020 about to arrive back from repair as well as a Realistic TRC-453 CB that I need to get back and install. And a 706 with remote head kit might be good for you. At the Jock White and similar we have put the 706 in the cab and used it to get some separation.
The truck has 2 plugs on it 240VAC and 12VDC. It is plugged into 12v in the shed at all times. There is a manual battery isolator that links batteries when driving or on charge,and seperates them so the starting batter isn't discharged while operating. The 249 VAC connection runs all the lghts power points and a PSU to charge batteries in the field. We also have an inverter for 240 stuff. In the back cabin we have 2 bunks, sink, gas cooker. Radio-wise, all Icom for some reason, no ones sure how it happened it just did. R7000 Receiver, Commercial VHF, UHF (IC-410) & HF (F7000), IC 2820 D-Star dual band, 2 Ham VHF, 706 HF & airband.

No other pictures at the moment but I'll try and get some. Anything in particular?

Sale price?? :shock: :shock:
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Farken homeless..................................

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:28 pm

Looks like there's a few nice mobile shacks out there. I've had set-ups with a few different rigs going and it's all good when you're monitoring all your favorite frequencies and repeaters but once you start trying to use them you quickly become limited by the hand to ear to microphone ratio...
I think I'd limit myself to just two mics these days - I think that's about as many conversations as my befuddled brain could handle at once...
Doing AREC work's a different story of course and in those circumstances I'd agree with having as many different rigs and antennas and power options as you can - redundancy, redundancy, redundancy...
I wasn't really thinking about HF for the wagon but if a few other people are running HF mobile I might look at it. Best thing about running an HF rig mobile in a 4WD??? Having a good excuse to need to get to the highest terrain feature with the best view possible ;-) ...

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Postby Pedro » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Been looking at a radio that has recieve and transmit in the 400-500mhz (i think) covers the prs range . And is fairly powerful. Ie up to 45 watt. How legal is this one??? Has 10w 25w and 45w transmit levels.
Looked at the radio communication site and confused the shit out of myself. What are the rule and or penalties if one were to purchase and ust it?
Pedro

MikeL200
Gadget Guy

Postby MikeL200 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:18 pm

You must have the appropriate licence to operate, depending which frequencies you use. If your equipment is only capable of the PRS freqs and the power output is below 9.2 watts then you do not need a licence.

http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/licensees/types-of-licence/general-user-licences/citizen-band-radio

http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/licensees/types-of-licence/general-user-licences/amateur-radio-operators
Mike
33 Deserthawk XMT.

Spoons make people fat,
Pencils mis-spell words,

021 666812

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:48 pm

What's on 27 MHz

I have a 26/27 gme in my truck and on 27mhz I pick up something on Chanel 11but can't figure out what it is

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Channel 11 on 27Mhz CB is the truckies CB channel in NZ. Back in the day it was very busy and is still worth a listen if you're heading on up the highway. Probably the only AM CB channel still in regular use.

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:31 pm

Or am I mixing it up with Aus CB frequency? Been so long I can't remember if 27's us or Aus...

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Gyxx wrote:Channel 11 on 27Mhz CB is the truckies CB channel in NZ. Back in the day it was very busy and is still worth a listen if you're heading on up the highway. Probably the only AM CB channel still in regular use.

26mhz channel 11 is trickies

Return to “Tool Shed”