Australia. Sure, why not????

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Australia. Sure, why not????

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:50 pm

We have been plotting and scheming, planning and saving for a few years and this year finally, it looks like the stars, sun, moon, and other galaxies in the cosmos are going to be suitably aligned to allow this to happen.

In July :D :D

I thought others might be interested in the process, and inspired to think outside the square themselves, so I will try and include as much detail as possible :D :D

As you might know, our truck Dusty was pretty much ready to go, then was written off in a crash. We have rebuilt another using the good bits salvaged off the wrecked Dusty before it went to auction.

There's still quite a lot to do to the vehicle in terms or preparation which I might cover in the thread as I go.

So far, the plan is we are getting the Vehicle shipped to Port Kembla just out of Sydney, where we will hang around for a bit and get things sorted out.

From there we will progress up the coast right up to the Cape, head back down and accross the Savannah Way towards Alice. From Alice head out across the Simpson Desert to Birdsville, the down to Oodnadatta, then work our way back to Brisbane and ship from there back to Auckland. Depending on time and how the truck goes, it might be achievable at a leisurely pace by the end of November.

That's the basic itinerary anyway.

We a shipping into Sydney so we can get some work done to the truck before we set off, so have roughly two weeks to kill there, so it's a good opportunity to to get things sorted out.

You can't ship the vehicle with any personal items, food or gas cylinders a on board. I'm hoping I can persuade them to let me take an empty gas cylinder though. So that time in Sydney can be used to get the shopping done to stock the truck up, get gas bottles filled, organise Desert passes and permits and just generally twiddle our thumbs patiently waiting :D

How much to ship, how long will it take and with who??

GT International Logistics has been good so far with their quote of $3000 to get it to Sydney, all expenses/fees covered apart from insurance. It should take about 13 days to get their and clear customs.

To get the good shipping rate, I have to some how squeak the truck in under 2150mm total height. I'm going to have to work on that, it's currently 2180mm.

When you take a vehicle overseas, you apply for a Passport for your vehicle, this is called a Carnet De Passages en Douane, or more commonly just a Carnet (pronounced Car-nay). Basically it means you just run your vehicle on your NZ plates and Rego for the duration your there. In NSW Sydney that's all you need, just the Carnet and your rolling.
Once you leave NSW and head into Queensland, you need Compulsory 3rd Party Insurance and an Overseas Vehicle Permit. To get the permit you need to submit the vehicle for a basic safety check.

Link to some info if you want to know more:
http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm#carnet

So right now we have some rough shipping quotes, a rough date , and a rough plan.

We can't do anymore organizing until 6 weeks out from when we want to go, as we can't book the shipping until then as they don't know where the boat will be this far out from when we want to go.

That means we can't book flights, accom in Sydney or even apply for the Carnet (need to put shipping dates on the carnet) until we have the shipping dates. Yay :lol:

The ground work is done however, so time to focus on the truck for the next month or so.

Some of the work that needs doing off the top of my head:

Roof rack to modify so it fits in the back of the truck for shipping due to height restrictions

Extra water tanks to mount

Interior cupboards to modify again

2 more Defender steel rims to source to make a set of 6

Wheel bearings to re grease/check/replace

50mm suspension lift to remove

New shocks to fit

The list is endless, but I WILL get it done :twisted: :twisted:

I'm open to questions, suggestions, and comments and all left field ideas. :lol: :lol:
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: Australia. Sure, why not????

Postby mudlva » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:52 pm

just a quick one on vehicle height remove the springs (assuming it coils) and throw them in the back and replace once in aussy,

basics
Hard Yaka

Postby basics » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:56 pm

you have my eyes clued to this adventure, plenty of pics of along the way please, no doubt you will be wanting to show off anyway 8)
dam i am serriously jelous.

many moons away i want to do this in the states/canada. take all the back roads ect.

good luck with planning and the trip ahead
99 pajero exceed 3.2

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:17 pm

You say above that you are going to remove the 50mm susp lift..is that to help get it under 2150mm or do you have to comply with NSW or Australia lift heights etc?

A few years of saving and planning and now it's about to come true - blimmin good on ya mate!

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:32 pm

This is going back 5 or so years, but my grandfather used to ship his high top troopy over and back ever two years. Cost him roughly $5000 for each return trip. Full of personal items, even his long life groceries. No height restrictions etc etc. I assume the price has gone up a bit since then, but either way it sounds like your conditions are quite restrictive for the price. Would you like me to find out who he shipped with?

Other than that. Sounds Awesome. If at all possible, try to get up the cape earlier. I did it in mid April and then again in late July (from memory). Amazing difference. But I liked it better with more water around. So go as early as you can.

Not interested in a trip across the gulf of Carpantaria? Then shoot up to check out Kakadu? Not sure if it's still there, but there was a farm/road house that let you drive out to the Gulf. Amazing drive and a beautiful place.

Also on your way up the Cape, make sure you detour out to chilli beach. It's a good drive and gets you off some of the main track on your way up to the tele track (with no back tracking if the Jardine river is low enough to cross, which it will be if you go in July)

Enjoy bro.

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:50 pm

May be worth putting a post on 4wdaction.com.au as well
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:29 pm

A long range fuel tank, maybe ,NA not maybe
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Unfortunatly removing the springs isnt an option, it needs to be road worthy for the shipping company to drive it to and from the wharf and load it on and off the ship. Plus its gotta go through all its inspections too.

But, that did give me an idea. I could just unbolt and remove the rear coil platforms and put those in the back though. That would drop the rear by 50mm. Im going to see if I can get what i need out of dropping the rear tyre pressure first. No reason to drop the front.

Its the shipping company that's causing the height issue. To get the good rate, the truck has to fit into the 1600mm to 2150mm category. Any taller and the price jumps up hugely. If the trucks legal here, its legal over there, so no drama with with the lift, other than squeezing it on the boat :lol: :lol:

On that note, yeah Shortylux, I have emailed 20 odd shipping companies and forwarders, but any other leads are most welcome and worth following!!!!

I have been picking through the Aussie forums, and spend a fair bit of time on AULRO.com, they have a mean Land Rover rescue squad set up :lol: :lol: :lol:

I get over 1200k's to a 125 Liter tank, so with a couple of 20L Jerrys bringing us up to the 160L recommended, we should cope. Its only a little motor, and i haven't touched the tuning so its running very lean and a bit gutless. Under stressed is good on a big mission :lol: :lol: :lol:

on2it
Hard Yaka

Postby on2it » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 pm

This is great info. Please keep info coming. How much more if height greater than 2100?
FJ62

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:21 am

I wonder if filling those extra water tanks and your current ones would lower you, or is that it with those full already? I suspect taking water doesnt matter.
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

muddymatt1973
Hard Yaka

Postby muddymatt1973 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:49 am

Did you try Troy Budge at Taurus Logistics for a price?

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:57 am

muddymatt1973 wrote:Did you try Troy Budge at Taurus Logistics for a price?

Yeah, I did, but their shipping time was over 40 days at sea, and that made me nervous as it was probably going on a trip half way round the world and potentially swapped between a few boats before getting to Sydney Also, the price was the same as a trip that was going to take 5 days at sea.

snotgoblin
Hard Yaka

Postby snotgoblin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Sounds freakin awesome.

I know a couple of people who have been posted to Oz for a few years and done a bit touring when they can. Amazing driving I hear...

See if you can get yourself some outback training that will help you with dealing with snakes and cat sized spiders! Useful knowledge to have.

Looking fwd to reading more.

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:57 pm

I love reading about your guys adventures the more I tell my gf about them the more interested she is in getting my 4wd up and running :-)
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:50 pm

What's the snake rule? If it head is the same size as its body then it's poisonous. If the head is wide/bigger than the body you are safe as (assuming you don't sit still long enough for it to crush you)

Will ask about freight.

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:40 am

DieselBoy wrote:Unfortunatly removing the springs isnt an option, it needs to be road worthy for the shipping company to drive it to and from the wharf and load it on and off the ship. Plus its gotta go through all its inspections too.

But, that did give me an idea. I could just unbolt and remove the rear coil platforms and put those in the back though. That would drop the rear by 50mm. Im going to see if I can get what i need out of dropping the rear tyre pressure first. No reason to drop the front.

Its the shipping company that's causing the height issue. To get the good rate, the truck has to fit into the 1600mm to 2150mm category. Any taller and the price jumps up hugely. If the trucks legal here, its legal over there, so no drama with with the lift, other than squeezing it on the boat :lol: :lol:

On that note, yeah Shortylux, I have emailed 20 odd shipping companies and forwarders, but any other leads are most welcome and worth following!!!!

I have been picking through the Aussie forums, and spend a fair bit of time on AULRO.com, they have a mean Land Rover rescue squad set up :lol: :lol: :lol:

I get over 1200k's to a 125 Liter tank, so with a couple of 20L Jerrys bringing us up to the 160L recommended, we should cope. Its only a little motor, and i haven't touched the tuning so its running very lean and a bit gutless. Under stressed is good on a big mission :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you got a set of biscuits you could throw on it to get it under height but then you would need to organise them to meet you at the other port so your spacer idea is probably best just thinking on screen :-)
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:56 pm

In qld do you need to get a rwc? They can be quite picky here, (knowing u prob already have, but ...) maybe check the local qld forums for who is good on rwc type inspections?? Shame your not coming this far down :( high country is magic!!
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

Snafu
Hard Yaka

Postby Snafu » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:12 am

DB I see you mentioned a height limit for shipping, is there a width or Length limit as well? I think my D3 would be a bit longer than your Defender.

It would be an awesome trip to do. I lived and worked in Aus for 3 years, including the outback and Road Trains, but would love to go back and 4WD a lot of it.

I have heaps of the Aussie 4wd action Mags and DVD's which show a lot of different tracks there.

Good luck with it all.
1999 Disco1, 300TDi, Snorkel, ARB Lockers, 9.5k Winch, Custom Bars & Sliders, +5in Lift. Silverstone MT-117
2007 Disco3 TDV6, eDiff, ARB Front Locker, Snorkel, ARB & Kaymar Bars, 12K Winch, Bash plates, Sliders, Llams, Maxxis MT's

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:22 am

just about all states in australia only allow a total of 75mm lift made up from tyres, springs and body lift. Most of us just run a 2" lift with 33's=75mm. Of late they have been coming down hard on 4wds in some states. I'm up in Lismore mate, on ya way nrth from sydney. happy to take you thru some 4wd parks if your interested and have a spare couple of days. You are going to love the cape, but you'll have to share it with all the tourists up there at that time of year. There has been a very activbe monsoon this year and it is still continuing so when you head up nth and out west it should be pretty spectacular with all the wild flowers in bloom, especially the Simpson.

Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

on2it
Hard Yaka

Postby on2it » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 am

This trips inspiring. Do log a travel diary with photos. Might follow your footsteps in a couple of years
FJ62

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:24 pm

Got a quote back from Main Freight a couple of weeks ago to ship it in a container which was cheaper than the roll on roll off option. I hadn't had any quotes back for containerised shipping that were even in the same ball park as RO/RO untill that one.

Im really keen to go with that option, safer for the truck, have a height of 2250mm to play with and possibly might be able to leave some more gear in it. They will deliver the container to an address in Sydney and from there we have 7 days to unload it before they come and collect the container. That means we don't need to head over until the container has been dropped off which is good in case there are any hold ups during shipping.

From NZ they have two ships heading over per week. Mint. They are a little slack on the emails though, so remains to be seen, good communication is very important when they have your precious wheels locked up in a container on a boat :shock: :shock: :shock:

Here's a couple of emails for those that are interested in how it works when you take your vehicle overseas using a Carnet.

The Carnet just cuts through so much red tape and side steps so much B.S its kinda awesome :D :D

RE: Registering a vehicle brought into the country with a Carnet

Dear Peter

Thank you for your email.

Visiting overseas vehicles may be used temporarily in NSW without being registered in NSW, if the vehicle is registered in its home jurisdiction and displays any required number plates and labels. It is also recommended that the overseas registration certificate be carried when using the vehicle.

These vehicles are exempt from NSW registration and Compulsory Third Party insurance. A NSW third party personal injury claim involving a visiting overseas vehicle is made against the Nominal Defendant Scheme. This scheme is administered by the Motor Accidents Authority:
Motor Accidents Authority: 1300 137 131
Fax No.: 1300 137 707
TTY: 8268 1450
Green Slip/CTP Hotline: 1300 137 600

Customers seeking information about NSW vehicle standards for visiting overseas vehicles should contact Technical Enquires:
1300 137 302
Hours: 8am to 5pm Mon to Fri and 8am to 12pm Saturdays
Email Address: Technical_enquiries@rta.nsw.gov.au

Regards

Caroline Team 4
Contact Centre Services Officer
Customer Service/Safety & Compliance
T 132 213
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au
Roads and Maritime Services
101 Miller Street
North Sydney NSW 2060

And this one from QLD, which is where we will be spending most of our time (I had to play with the formatting, this forum doesn't support bullet points :lol: :lol: ) :

Dear Mr Hall
Thank you for your online enquiry of 21 January 2014 about obtaining an Overseas Vehicle Permit.
Your Online Enquiry Contact Confirmation Number (CCN) is EN201401211659163758.

Please find below an attached copy of your enquiry.
(See attached file: WE37050_Hall.pdf)

To obtain an Overseas Vehicle Permit (including left hand drive for vehicles < 30 years old) you must present the vehicle at a Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) Customer Service Centre (CSS) with the following:

:arrow: A Queensland issued Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance certificate for the required period

:arrow: A completed Overseas Vehicle Permit Application (Form F4975 attached)

And either:

:arrow: Vehicle Import Approval (must have a condition that the vehicle is only in Australia temporarily)

Current Passport

Proof of current overseas registration

A current driver licence

:arrow: or Carnet de Passage en Douane issued by overseas authority (as a valid international customs pass)

Current Passport

Proof of current overseas registration

A current driver licence.

:arrow: An Overseas Vehicle Permit must be issued prior to the vehicle being driven on the road.

:arrow: The vehicle must be transported to a TMR CSC for inspection before a permit can be issued to confirm the vehicle details against the documents provided.

:arrow: The vehicle must have:

Working headlights

Working tail lights, including stop and turn lights

Working windscreen wipers (if fitted)

Seat belts (if fitted)

The Overseas Vehicle Permit must be carried in the vehicle at all times when on the road and produced to Transport Inspectors or Police when requested.
The overseas registration label (or equivalent) and number plates must remain on the vehicle. The vehicle may only be driven in other states providing their requirements are met.

Applicants are advised to contact the relevant authorities in the States and/or Territories they wish to travel.
The permit will be issued for the shorter of:
The applicants visitors Visa expiry date

Expiry of the overseas registration

Vehicle Import Approval or Carnet de Passage en Douane

An Overseas Vehicle Permit cannot be renewed. However, if a customer wishes to apply for a new permit this may be considered provided the customer has met all requirements.

A list of licensed CTP insurers and contact details is available online at:
http://www.maic.qld.gov.au/ctp-premium/ ... rers.shtml

Information about your nearest Customer Service Centre is available online by visiting the TMRwebsite at:
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/About-us/Cont ... ntres.aspx

Please find attached the Overseas Vehicle Permit application
(See attached file: F4975_ES.pdf)

If you require further information you are encouraged to contact Mr Nicholas Andrews, Correspondence Officer, on 13 23 80 or by email at cs.correspondence@tmr.qld.gov.au
Business Services
Office of The General Manager
Customer Services Branch | Department of Transport and Main Roads

If nothing else the overseas vehicle permit will be handy to flash to a cop on the side of the road :D :D :D

Pretty sure i have lights that work, seat belts and some kinda squeaky brakes (gotta look at that :wink: ), so should be sweet. It doesn't have to comply with any of AU's rules as its not being "imported" as such, its just "Visiting" :D :D

I'll keep the thread up to date with the Carnet process as I go through it, being an AA member is going to help, as that's who it is done through.

In the mean time its back to wheel bearings, clutch, bushes, door seals, ya know, that kinda fun stuff :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:00 am

Make sure its properly insured, its amazing how many containers are lost at sea
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:14 am

Make sure its properly insured, its amazing how many containers are lost at sea

70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

The Colonel
Stropper

Postby The Colonel » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi DB,
A few of us Far North 4wheelers are organising a trip to Cape York in July, leaving Cairns on the 21st for 17 days on the Peninsula, will keep an eye out for you on the way north.

We had considered the Carnet approach, maybe in another couple years.
Thanks for the info & contacts will certainly be helpful in the future.

on2it
Hard Yaka

Postby on2it » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:54 pm

If not the carnet approach, which approach are you taking?
FJ62

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:51 am

Woooohooo :D :D :D

We have the shipping date confirmed , ETD 24th May, and ETA 2nd June, plus 5 days in customs, and 3 days or so to be delivered from there.

That means I can get the Carnet application under way, get insurance, and start doing all the paper work for real :lol: :lol:

Here's the list I am required to provide for Customs at both ends, Main Freight want a copy and a copy has to be submitted with the Carnet application to the AA.

This might be useful to someone one day:

1996 Land Rover Defender 110 Motor Home
Vehicle specific Spare Parts:
• Alternator
• Vacuum Pump and Gasket
• Fuel Lift Pump and Gasket
• Water Pump and Gasket
• Power steering Pump
• Drive Belt
• Drive belt tensioner
• Drive Belt tensioner bolt
• Top Radiator Hose
• Bottom Radiator Hose
• Heater Hose send
• Heater Hose return
• Thermostat by pass Hose
• Header tank bleed hose
• Header Tank Cap
• Drive shaft Universal joints x 2
• Clutch slave cylinder
• Clutch Master Cylinder
• Steering ball joint R/H Thread
• Steering Ball Joint L/H Thread
• Wheel Bearings X 2 sets
• Wheel Bearing hub seals x 2
• Diff Carrier bearings X2
• Diff Pinion Bearing
• Diff Pinion bearing oil seal
• Transfer case output oil seals x2
• Front Radius arm bushes x 4 sets
• Shock absorber bushes front X 4 sets
• Rear Shock absorber Bushes x 4 sets
• Pan Hard Rod Bushes x 2
• Inner Tube x 2
• Fuel Filter
• Oil Filter
• Front shock absorber x 2
• Rear shock absorber x2
• Front radius arm nut and bolt
• Rear radius arm nut and bolt
Tools:
• Socket set & Driver set
• Ring Spanner Set
• Ratchet Spanner Set
• Screw Drivers X 2
• Hammer
• Vice grips
• Bull Nose Pliers
• Needle Nose Pliers
• Circlip Pliers
• Electrical Crimp Pliers
• JB20 Pinch bar
• Tyre levers
• Power Bar
• Square file
• Round File
• Hack Saw
• Rivet Gun
• Vice
• Drill
• Drill bits and drivers
• Drift
• Jack
• Multi meter
• Test Light
• Oil filter removal tool
• Grease gun
• Compressor
• Air Line
• Tyre gauge
• Epoxy
• Metal Putty

Remote service equipment and Supplies:
• Puncture repair kit
• Brake fluid
• Grease Cartridge
• ATF
• Bars Leaks
• 15w 40
• RTV Rubber
• Air Filter Cleaning Kit
• Lock tight
• Rubber tape
• Insulation tape
• Duct tape
• Glue
• Plastic Cable Ties
• Stainless steel Cable ties
• Tie Down
• Jumper Cables
• Misc rubber bushes
• Copper tube
• Alloy angle
• Assorted nuts/bolts/screws/washers
• Assorted electrical connectors/fuses/relays/switches
• Electrical wire
• Ground Sheet
• Rubber hose
• Plastic hose
• Foam sheet
• Rubber sheet
• Welding lense
• Welding rods
• Welding torch

Recovery equipment:
• 10m Snatch strap
• 20m winch extension strap
• Pulley block
• D Shackle
• Roper Joiner
• Hi Lift Jack
• Spade
• Bow saw
• Ground anchor
• Winch
• 40m over braided plasma winch rope
• Axe
• Leather Gloves

Communications equipment:
• AM CB Radio
• UHF PRS Radio
Cooking equipment:
• Camp Oven
• Hot Plate
• Two burner stove
• Single burner stove
• Pot
• Leather Gloves
• Fry pan
• Kettle
• Billy
• Plates x 2
• Bowls x1
• Mixing bowl
• Misc Cutlery
• Cups x 3
• Chopping board
• Toaster
• Various EMPTY sealable storage containers x 10

Bedding & sleeping equipment:
• Sleeping bags x3
• Swabs X3
• Pillows x3
• Sheet x 2
Long range touring general equipment:
• 20L Jerry can, water x 4
• 10L water cylinder
• 20L Jerry can x2
• Helton Heat exchanger and shower kit
• Camp chairs x 3
• Camp table
• Fold up bucket
• Fold up bowl
• Awning
• First aid kit
• Survival kit
• Fire extinguisher
• Childs Car seat
• Duel Battery and VSR system
• 40 Liter 12v Isotherm marine fridge (R134a Refrigerant, identified on label inside fridge)
• Custom motor home interior
• Roof rack
• Jerry Can Holders
• Bull Bar
• Side bars
• Rock sliders
• Swing away spare wheel carrier
• Steering guard
• Diff Guard
• Track rod guard
• Fuel tank guard
• Snorkel
• Light bar and LED work lights
• Two spare wheels
• Storage box on roof rack

The wording "Motor Home" is an important aspect of the documentation if your wondering about that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have done heaps of prep work over the last few weeks, I have done:

Rear Main seal
Clutch
Spigot bearing
Clutch Fork
Release bearing
Slave cylinder
Master cylinder
Replaced front wheel bearings
Re greased rear wheel bearings
replaced front radius arm bushes
New EFS shocks
Modified the interior some more
Moved the rear reverse lights
Added another 40L of water storage taking it up to 91 Liters
Been through insulating all hoses and electrical cables from rubbing points

The list goes on, the prep work is huge :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:14 pm

Now thats what I call a decent list of trail spares, that should keep Mr Murphy at bay.

I notice you've included diff parts/seals etc. I wonder just to be on the super safe side, it would be worth grabbing a complete preassembled spare diff head from a Disco I or similar, Which could be slapped in either end in the unlikely event of diff problems

A bit bulky, but Since removing that redonkulously big Salisbury rear end you've made some serious weight savings anyway :D

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:54 pm

Yeah man, I have given some serious thought to the spares, and I figure the chance of blowing a ring and pinion is slim, the rear is a Detroit special, and the front is just boring old standard, but with the rear end as it is I aren't going to be blowing diffs up touring.

What's far more likely is bearing failure due to long hot running and contaminated oil from the numerous river crossings with hot running gear, if it goes un noticed. You can hear the bearings when they are starting to go, so I figure with that amount of warning I should be able to get it to somewhere with a press and swap in bearings. Most road houses and little towns have a work shop, it's getting the parts that's the trick. If I have the bearings and can get it before it damages the ring and pinion, I can get the diff rebuilt, with out the added weight and bulk of carrying an entire diff head. It's a compromise that might mean pulling a drive shaft off to run in 2wd, but we are touring, not going up Maratoto, so should be all good.

Hopefully :lol: :lol:

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:35 pm

just out of curiosity whats your all up weight ?

Why the radius arm bushes? when you have just done new ones, I allways thought they were one of rovers success's given how long they last
I would add diff oil & and front short side shaft and a CV, going off the Ashcroft site info, the 24spline fronts arn't any stronger than the old 10 spline

you picking up a sat phone when you get over there?

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:22 pm

True, good spotting, they are missed off the list, but are packed, thanks for pointing that out I will add it in. I have 3 x 1L bottles of 80w 90, a CV joint and short side rear axle stashed away in there.

I'm day dreaming about a fold up solar panel that would be enough over a day or two to recharge the main battery. If I have to blaze something up with a 24V Arc and flatten both the main and aux batteries, if no one comes past for a jump start, at least after a day or so i might have enough charge from the solar panel to get it fired up.

That reminds me, i need try 24V arc welding, its not quite the same as using a mig :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the bushes, I'm trying to compensate for thousands upon thousands of K's or corrugations and rough roads. I am expecting everything suspension and steering related to take an absolute hammering.

Due to the long distances between towns, let alone the main city's, getting parts is a waiting game of up to a week or more.

Anything prone to wear and fatigue steering or suspension related i am trying to carry, so rather than get stuck in a little town for a week or more with a stuffed bush, i can jimmy out the rooted pressed in bush with a hack saw and a drift and replace with a 2 piece poly bush to get back on the road.

I reckon that unless it shits a gear box, cracks a head or throws the cam belt, I can compensate. Even then, if the gearbox dies it might still have a gear or two to limp a few 1000k's out to the nearest town and get a gearbox flown in. Same with the head, if i can keep up with the water usage and keep the pressure down, i might be able to limp it along for quite while.
Cam belt, well nah she's rooted, send in the 6 wheel drive tow truck. Although, for the sake of a new belt, a push rod or two and a couple of rockers, chances are she will be good as new once the parts arrive.

The biggest thing is that I am trying to be prepared and set up to bush mechanic my way out of trouble enough to get to somewhere to make proper repairs.

On top of that though, I need the added safety factor of having enough water on board to keep the 3 of us alive for up to a week if we get stranded and have to wait for help to arrive.

We will have a ELB (everyone calls them an EPIRB), and probably hire a sat phone for the Simpson Desert crossing which cost $140 for 10 days hireage. You pick it up at Mt Dare and Drop it off at Birdsville or the other way round depending on which way you go.

I'm far more worried about whether all my cupboards made from recycled alloy and ply will survive :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We weighed it a while ago on a trip and it was 2465kg's with a full tank of fuel, all camping gear, food and all three of us in it.
Add to that max 100kg for the roof rack, 25kg for the extra spare wheel, 40Kg for the extra water, 40kg for the extra fuel, 20 kg for the highlift and ground anchor and a 100kg in case I eat to much between now and when we go and we are around the 2800kg at the absolute most. Weight is a HUGE factor, and based on advice from the Aussy's I have done everything possible to keep my weight as low as possible. In fact they reckon I have to many tools and I don't need my ground anchor :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Planning a trip?”