1990 2 door disco

L-andy
Hard Yaka

Re: 1990 2 door disco

Postby L-andy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:02 pm

All aftermarket chromoly front axles (afaik) are 24 spline diff end and 23 spline cv end (Howat and Ashcroft KAM etc). Factory never made this combo so that will be the giveaway. These are the largest factory sizes of spine but never appeared together from factory.

Ashcroft cvs are etched with ATL (Ashcroft Transmissions ltd) on the shaft. They are also quite well polished with no machining marks etc. All (afaik) rover chromoly cvs are also 23 spline inner and 24 spline outer. KAM cvs are easy to spot as they are a 2 piece design (like RRC and early disco) with a fusible/replaceable stub shaft but still 23-24 spline.

There was a crowd in the US using modified HiLux long field cvs with custom shafts and modified stub axle to suit but these were 27 or 30 spline in the star so easy to pick. They are no longer available apparently as ashcrofts just as strong and no machining required to fit.

Andy

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:02 pm

Bit of an up date. Got house broken into and they stole laptop, iPad a few other bits so can't post pictures at the moment.
Finished installing full internal cage. Made up a spot light mount that goes over the winch.
Fitted my 255 85 16 bfgs to the Mach 5s and fitted them onto the truck for now.Look 8)

Truck might be taking abit of a turn in direction, have possibly sorted a gq safari front and an 80 series rear. I would then fit 4.8 r n p to these.
The plan would be to run 36" simexs or 37 trepador comps.

This would mean that the Mach 5s, half worn bfgs and rear diff with ARB locker would be up for sale.
BJ70 13bt creepys,beadlocks n not a straight panel

L-andy
Hard Yaka

Postby L-andy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Could be interested in Mach 5s depending on how much you're after.

Andy

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm not normally a fan of discos(though have owned a couple of Landrovers, 109 series 3 and LD28 defender 110 HCP ) but… I really like this truck! Good on you.
Did you find out if it was a genuine Camel or not? Regardless, I bet the English guy who set it up and had to leave it here would be pleased it has fallen into the hands of someone who appreciates it.

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:15 pm

I have done weeks and weeks of research into possible diff options,have looked into fitting toyota centres,cvs and axles into rover housings.Also fitting Ashcroft gear to these. But as the truck isn't daily driven i can do some serious mods to it and the saf/landcruiser combo will suit me the best,due to rear diff being off set slightly, which line up better. Addition of bigger brakes etc and 6 stud just means I have afew more options for rims.
I will body lift it and trim guards a bit more, I aim to keep ride height down, with as much down travel as I can get and give it a wide staunch stance.
Still has a really sweet camping set up in the back which is great.

From all the research iv done iv come to the conclusion this was a really good replica, with possible camel bits used.If this was genuine I wouldn't be doing the cardinal sin of chopping it but as I look at it I'm moding it now to suit me.

Rich

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:29 am

Why bother swapping diffs? It is such a good example of a great club truck and would be a good all rounder on and off road. Better to start with a a stock one if you are going to molest it aren't you?

If you are after a hard core off roader why not finish your suzuki?

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:32 pm

Hey Rich, just read the thread...good score!!!
I bought your 35" snow chains off you a couple of years ago, looks like you have a pretty well set up and capable vehicle on your hands...don't think you'll go wrong with it in all honesty.

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:58 pm

I no longer own the Zuk,few months ago I got made an offer I couldn't turn down,after that an hq made its way into my shed.
I have a work truck so this doesn't get driven alot and for me to start with a bog standard disco then set it up on the inside like this, with winch, spots etc aswell would cost me a shit load more than I want to spend.
I have seen some wicked discos in the UK and the states and I'm wanting this to turn out similar.

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Thu May 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Image have fitted new rims and old bfgs, fitted new 7" HID spots aswell

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Thu May 08, 2014 7:44 pm

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Thu May 08, 2014 7:49 pm

Image new lights, need to be wired up, this weekends task

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Fri May 09, 2014 7:42 pm

The disco is sort of going to end up like this just 3 door. Picking up 36" super swappers tomorrow.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sat May 10, 2014 1:40 am

The disco is sort of going to end up like this just 3 door. Picking up 36" super swappers tomorrow.

I notice you're going to run 4.88s in the new diffs.
Some late model (93-95ish?) Nissan WD21 vehicles had 4.88s factory. You could take a rear 4.8 LSD diffhead from one of those and slam it straight into your Safari front housing.

This would give you an OEM 4.875:1 front with a very effective 4-pin LSD for probably less than a couple of hundred bucks. It will be running on the coast side which reduces overall gearset strength by 15% or so, but who gives a dogs balls since its good for 1000hp or something ridiculous anyway

HG48 is the code you would be looking for on the silver plate in the engine bay. Pretty sure its late model turbo diesel 5 speed Terranos that had this gearing setup.

Then put your full float disc braked LandCruiser rear in and thats one heavy duty setup... Image

Are you going to go part time 4x4 transfer case conversion?

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Sat May 10, 2014 9:00 am

Hey man, I completely forgot about the terrano head bolting into the safari front, had that set up in my Zuk, worked extremely well.Just found a complete rear diff so will pick it up today, if anyone is keen on the rear diff housing, brakes etc from a 94 terrano , everything minus the diff head, flick me an offer and it's yours.

Yes will run a part time kit, got to do abit more research into this and what my option are. Working on getting all the parts together before I start pulling the diffs out as I want to try and have it all back up and running ASAP.

Want to try and keep the twin shock set up in the front so will make up some adaptor plates, will post some pictures once this is done

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Sun May 11, 2014 7:47 pm

Bit of an idea of how it may look

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Mon May 19, 2014 7:50 pm

So I'm really after a bit of info from landrover nuts,I may end up doing a complete backflip on my plan if someone can tell me what I have.Pulled cv out and it has Hardy Splicer stamped onto the CV ,the axle going in has 32 splines on the CV end and 10 on the diff head.
Cheers Rich

L-andy
Hard Yaka

Postby L-andy » Mon May 19, 2014 8:30 pm

Sorry to say but you have probably the worst cv/shaft combo that ever left the factory. Early rover shafts were 10spline (approx 25mm dia) diff end and 23spline cv end (approx 32mm dia)

Interim (yours) shafts were 10/32 spline (approx 25mm dia both ends)

Later shafts were 24spline diff end (approx32mm dia) and 32spline cv end (25mm)

So you can see that all the factory shafts had at least one tiny end and yours are tiny both ends. That said I know people who have run 35"s with your motor and shaft/CVs for years and not broken one. Hardy spicer or GKN spicer are OE parts and pretty strong within the limits of the shaft size.

As a comparison Rover 23 and 24spline is very close dia wise to Toyota 30 spline.

Have you pulled a rear halfshaft? I would be nice to know if whoever put your rear ARB in also upgraded to 24spline in the rear at the same time.

Andy

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Mon May 19, 2014 8:53 pm

Hey Andy thanks for the info. Rear axles are still 10 spline which is abit of a let down I guess. Haha

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Thu May 22, 2014 9:19 pm

Front diff out. Arms and diff now sitting in place Image

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Thu May 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Nice and wide Image

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Tue May 27, 2014 6:36 pm

Rear axle out. Image

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Tue May 27, 2014 6:43 pm

Rear wheel sitting under, will be fitting new springs and body lift after it's rolling and out of the garage.

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Tue May 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Picked up some a distraction.... :mrgreen: Image

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:21 pm

Image didn't get much done over the weekend, but got rear 80 stripped and sitting where it needs to be, haven't decided whether to make up new mounts or just buy them..it seemed to sit a lot higher at the rear so might set front springs up in the rear and rears in the front to see if it levels itself abit.

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:02 pm

Going to make a bracket to hold the traction aids in place, this will then come across the front to hold light bar in place

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:17 am

"Party on, Wayne"
"Party on, Garth"

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:40 pm

The debate on weither or not the truck I have is actually an ex camel truck came up again when I was selling some bits the other day,I have been told its not and have been told it is by various Landrover nuts.
It may have been a support vechical....possibly.
It maybe an old shell that someone tried turning back into a camel look a like over the years.
I realise it has got bits on it that arnt the real deal etc. I have pulled the winch out and everywhere you look it's Sandglow,all mounts and body panels.Did they make a 1990 3 door Discovery that came out factory in Sandglow that wasn't intended for the Camel Trophy?
I'm just really interested to find out its history,the fella I'm dealing with at the mo is from the UK and reckons he will have an answer for me soon. On another note,I havnt welded anything to the chassie so in theory it could be converted back to Landrover diffs in the future.But for now will continue with the build. Rich

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Finished body lift in the weekend.

LR90NZ
Hard Yaka

Postby LR90NZ » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 pm

muddyplumber wrote:The debate on weither or not the truck I have is actually an ex camel truck came up again when I was selling some bits the other day,I have been told its not and have been told it is by various Landrover nuts.
It may have been a support vechical....possibly.
It maybe an old shell that someone tried turning back into a camel look a like over the years.
I realise it has got bits on it that arnt the real deal etc. I have pulled the winch out and everywhere you look it's Sandglow,all mounts and body panels.Did they make a 1990 3 door Discovery that came out factory in Sandglow that wasn't intended for the Camel Trophy?
I'm just really interested to find out its history,the fella I'm dealing with at the mo is from the UK and reckons he will have an answer for me soon. On another note,I havnt welded anything to the chassie so in theory it could be converted back to Landrover diffs in the future.But for now will continue with the build. Rich

Hi Rich,

Unfortunately as I have indicated previously it is not a genuine Camel Trophy vehicle, nor was it any sort of support vehicle.
I still have the original build spec sheet from Land Rover UK on your vehicle and as previously pointed out it was built too late for the 1990 event and was originally white with sunroofs.
It also was built with electric windows, electric mirrors which again items that were never specified on a Camel Trophy Discovery.

After viewing it I sent photos to the UK Camel Trophy Owners Club.
I also confirmed with historians within the Camel Trophy Owners Club in UK and they confirmed it is not a genuine vehicle. They also mentioned that there was a 2 door vehicle that they checked out once before but it was a fake or replica.
Nene Overland have a notorious reputation in UK and your Discovery has been through their hands.

Sandglow was only ever used on the Camel vehicles and never available to public from factory (special editions for Japan 1993-1994 excluded and they were all 4 door) and if you look close enough you will see white underneath the Sandglow paint.

I doubt your latest contact will be able to turn up anything to the contrary to the information provided.

Yes, someone has gone to a lot of trouble and expense to come up with a replica, unfortunately it is not the 'real deal'.

However you still do have a very well set up vehicle and you are getting it to the way you want it.

Good luck with it. I will watch your progress with interest.

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Here's a couple of photos of the paint... Maybe someone who is in the automotive paint industry might know if it would white under this... All I can see under the sandglow is a light carkee green colour

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”