Its not a project.... honest lol

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Re: Its not a project.... honest lol

Postby De-Ranged » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:07 pm

Just finished another play on CAD, there is no way I can fit all the bits and a chassis lol so it will be space framed, damm means I really want an internal brace in the top corners of that X Member hmmmm will have to have a think on this

Anyway the rough numbers on the 3 link, Anti-Dive 100,75,25% (adjustable on the axle top mount), 3.6deg of understeer would prefer oversteer but this is one of the issues of a 3 link, Roll center height will depend on the winch rope line (will be as high as the rope allows)
The adjustable anti-dive is because I am uncertain how the front end will handle due to the odd setup on the rear.... the figures are only approximate due to the fact I'm guessing CoG height and weight lol with what I'm doing I'll only find out when I'm done

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Reece :? , I think you have forgotten to add in the cool box for the Roadies and divided it by 42 x d + the x factor + the extra weight you will put on drinking to much while you think about "not a project" ---- have a few more fanta's and re-calculate,

MAY BE IV'E HAD TO MANY,

FITZY. :roll: .

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:10 pm

are you going to modify the sump and pickup the driveline angle looks like the engines pointing up hill pretty steep and those shallow front bowl sumps are pretty dodgy for oil starvation at the best of times in a 4x4 :?:

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:47 pm

Dry sump it Reese.
Let it be the first LR that actually has oil on the outside of the engine that is supposed to be there :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Lol the cool box is going in the tow wagon (next on the list :roll: )

Oh the sump is definitely on the list, was planing on building a rear to mid sump with more volume but a dry sump has alot more appeal, just looking at costs at the moment...
As for angle that is the same as its mounted in a car... I don't have any issues with getting the drive shaft around the trans sump (bighorn transfercase) so it is sitting flat on both sumps

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Been busy on CAD sorting out the suspension there are a couple of angles there that really were proving a bastard to work out with the mock up and fit system lol

Got the last measure today I needed to plot the suspension

The spring "set and thickness" going to be using a mix of hilux rear springs on the front.... I welded a spring seat I could clamp too, onto the outrigger clamped some springs in an jacked up the eye till the chassis lifted out off the jack stand
This gives me an angle for the spring mount so I can fit it into the end of the chassis and position the eye where I want it

Will get some of the suspension mounts sorted but will leave off finishing till I get the joints from the UK (still waiting on postage quotes)

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Loving your work mate. Too bloody clever by half.

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:32 pm

rokhound wrote:Dry sump it Reese.
Let it be the first LR that actually has oil on the outside of the engine that is supposed to be there :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

GOLD :lol: :lol:
There's gotta be some rocks round here SOMEWHERE!

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:36 pm

The funny bit is the axle in the pic above.... its the original landy one look at the oil slick under it lol both diffs, the gearbox and the transfercase all leaked.... the motor didn't but that was probably due to it being a Japanese

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Postby suzolla » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:15 pm

till I get the joints from the UK

Hi Reece, what sort of joints are you looking at getting

Cheers
Tim

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Fri May 16, 2014 12:00 am

Got a bit distracted building an exo cage for a mates Hilux so he could enter an upcoming comp... and been working on a little chopper bike project got an offer of some custom art work for it so had to pull finger on it
But it was my birthday today and sort of had the day off.... to play on this lol....
Been waiting on some information on mods for the trans, might be rebuilding it as I've had to strip it down to get the output shaft out for shortening (got given another from a mate that he had drown'd, these trans have water based glue on the brake band so if they are filled with water are a throw away... end result I've started splining 2 shafts)

Set up a mounting setup in the mill and did the rough'ing cuts

Bonus to this is the original spline count is 27 the same as the spline I need to cut so I have indexed off the original, this is the output end and is the shaft from my mates trans that had already been shortened by 30mm for use with an Isuzu transfercase.... you can see how much shorter you can go lol
Anyway by the time I had rough'ed both shafts the light was bad enough in the shop I decided to leave the finish grinding for another day so I decided to remove some of the chassis I don't need

Before

After

Also stripped the front axle housing out so its good to weld up the mounts.... left the swivil housings on so I could set angle from steering arms so I get caster correct

Got a couple of other jobs I need to be doing so there maybe a bit of a wait till the next installment lol

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Fri May 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Needed the drill press so needed to finish these lol well that was the excuse

Swopped the disk out for the profiled disk and 3 more passes on each spline..... with time in between to keep heat build up down, don't want to concentrate heat on the tips of the cut splines.... took most of the day but got one shaft done
Then machined up the female splines on the lathe... or more to the point machined the flange off a hilux diff flange to leave me a female spline lol female splines are beyond my tooling
With that done I cut the excess off the shaft and mounted it in the lath and flap disked 0.2mm off the major dia of the spline so the female can fit over

Beautiful fit just needs tapped on, spot on the money, with a bright light on the spline ends I can't see any daylight between the spline surfaces
I wanted this one to be tight as it is the smaller of the two splines.... now I have to find a female spline to fit to the gearbox shaft on the LT95 shaft

Here is a comparison pic the long shaft has only been rough'ed but it shows how much I've shortened the output

Going to have to wait till tues as I need to reshape the grinding disk and can't find my diamond.... which sucks as I don't want to change the setup on the mill till I'm finished... so my mill drill is out of action lol

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sat May 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Nice work Reece!

You have my vote if you want to enter the Best ever "not a project" competition.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Mon May 19, 2014 8:27 pm

:lol: Yea will have to have a word with Reece, get him to move it over to the projects

While I wait for the new grinding diamond I sorted the trans sump from this

To this

An extra liter and should be strong enough to sit level with the chassis rails

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed May 21, 2014 7:24 pm

Still no dressing diamond lol

So I decided to jump ahead a bit and get the gearbox shaft for the range rover transfercase sorted and ready to go

After wasting the morning at different wreckers trying to find a spline close to 45mm, (size of the gearbox shaft where I plan to cut it) closest I could find was a couple at a major dia of 35mm
I decided to hunt through some old bits of gearbox an trans's to see if I could find a gear... after a bit of hunting I found this

I think its an output shaft from a hilux automatic transfercase.... the selector gear is splined to the shaft.... it is only 43mm but it does have the same profile splines as the smaller shaft I've already cut... so decided to run with it
Machined the outter gear off the selector to leave just a splined collar then cut the spline out of the shaft (will use it to index off)

The Range Rover transfer case shaft needed a bit of work before I cut the splines, it has a large fixed selector gear near to where I want to cut the splines (the twink pen mark is the outside edge of the transfer case seal so the spline needs to be to the left of this

So I attacked it with the grinder and then the lathe and this is the result

I didn't machine down to the major dia of the spline as cutting through the case hardening on the lathe is rather hash.... builds up alot of heat and kills the tungsten tips lol so I will rough out the splines first then lathe down to major depth, after that finish the splines
While I was at it I attached the spline to the waste end of the shaft using a bit of scrap bar machined to fit in the internal oil gallery in the shaft and the section of spline this held it while I welded it in place

With that done I can index the splines

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Fri May 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Transfer case shaft is done

Cut and machined up

Just got to mount the transfer case housing in the mill and cut a seat for a seal between the case and the trans and I'm good to start putting things together

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed May 28, 2014 11:58 pm

Been working on the "sandwich housing" that joins the two cases, needed a good surface to bolt up to on the Rangie transfer case

While I was at it I cut the seat for the transfer case input seal

The end result

It has two levels I know but I had to machine the lower bit down due to a casting hollow
With the face ready I made the plate to match, and faced it true on the mill, all the bolts coming through from inside the transfer case are counter sunk or recessed.... that was a bit of fun, as I wasn't able to get a counter sink bit in there so all of them had to be cut in with a die grinder by hand, a real slow process of rough out, high point with blueing ink, cut high points, blue etc till it was close then using a long bolt that I ground a couple of cuts into the head and a drill on the thread pulling it through polish the counter sink

The trans end was just a case of trim and machine up a bit of 25mm plate

May get this all joined up this week.... will depend on how hard I have to work on prugadors truck to get him to kiwi lol

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:58 am

Not too much progress.... been a bit distracted with a screw up and re-doing alot of machining, was talking about it with a machinist last night, seems to happen on the last act of a piece that has to be multiple mounted or different machining styles and it very really goes wrong at the start... the stuff up happens near the end after you've wasted all that time :roll:

But I've almost caught up lol anyway as a distraction I made up the cone that will join these two together

Started out with a bit of offcut pipe that had a wall thickness of 10mm, cut a "V" in one side and belted the crap out of it with a hammer till I got the small ends to touch

With the small end welded it was time to form the cone, a little bit of fix'ing to hold it while I beat down the bit that crossed over

and a couple of good shots with the sledge

Trim it off and weld and we have a 10mm wall cone

When I have the cases lined up on the splines I'll machine this true to the case faces and weld in

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:38 pm

On advice from another forum I pulled the center diff in the transfercase and split it.....
It is sposed to be a slippery diff (early RRC) anyway some muppet in the past has "improved it" by removing all the friction plates that connect the side gear to the clutch packs and throwing in extra shims to pack it that tight the side gear bearing seats have started to score, its on the verge of eating its self lol.... so I've bought another later model LT95 that has the open center diff... hopefully the diff units can be swopped

Been busy with stuff that takes ages but doesn't look like much at the end lol
Since I finished machining a new PTO drive shaft I might as well get the drive ring sorted

Took close to a day to file the splines to mate to the drive teeth, this is the input shaft for the transfer case, the little teeth on the end are what they use to drive an overdrive unit
It means I'm driving the winch off the trans speed, hi-low wont effect the speed

There is the "new" PTO drive shaft
The two join like this, with a weld in the "V" between the two bits

and then the whole thing slips over the end of input shaft locating on the old bearing surface on the end of the shaft

There will be two bearings holding the PTO shaft.... because I had two bearings that size so thats what I used lol
The shaft has been welded and machined back and is mounted in the mill waiting for me to cut the splines in the end for the PTO dog clutch

Got the joiner sleeve done as well

And I'm just about done with the adapter

Got to take it off and mill true the face that is to be welded to the trans end and cut and true some support ribs then weld
Oh the inserts welded in the cone are so I can install/remove the trans mounting bolts

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:55 pm

The finished adapter

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:40 am

Love the fact that you have drilled some holes in the stiffening plates to save weight :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As usual Reece, you wayward thought process is pretty damn cool. :wink:
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:45 am

I've never had it called a wayward thought process... but given the way I work bouncing from one bit to another and back again (or even one project to the next) hmmmm yea... lol

Speed holes mate.... come on the Series Landies were styled off english race cars.... light weight alloy body's, stripped minimal interior the roof is an accessory so if you raced you could save weight , and a small underpowered motor with dodgy electrics
All I'm doing is continuing the vision of the early rover designers lol

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:49 am

Love the work 8) , thanks for keeping us posted. :D

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:58 am

De-Ranged wrote:All I'm doing is continuing the vision of the early rover designers ....

....by having dodgy electrics and pools of oil on the driveway....
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:43 pm

wjw wrote:
De-Ranged wrote:All I'm doing is continuing the vision of the early rover designers ....

....by having dodgy electrics and pools of oil on the driveway....

Good point. I hope the gasket mating surfaces have manufactured drip points included or it wont keep the chassis rust prevention system working. :wink: :mrgreen:

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:32 pm

G's you are a glass half empty lot lol

I'm hoping I can remove the oil leaks with new fangeled rubber seals, but given my skill with electrickery... and those black boxes of mystery I'm not so certain on the electronics lol

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:46 pm

De-Ranged wrote:G's you are a glass half empty lot lol

I'm hoping I can remove the oil leaks with new fangeled rubber seals, but given my skill with electrickery... and those black boxes of mystery I'm not so certain on the electronics lol

Okay as long as you keep the lucas styled electronics then it will retain its character. A rover without the three stage lights (On, Off and Flicker) wouldn't seem right.

Just quietly this is pretty cool but dont tell anyone I said that about a rover. I get enough shit about my ford holden landcruiser :mrgreen:

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm one that wishes I'd done more before having four kids :roll: , all i have to keep me sane is sarcasm :-(
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:45 pm

wjw wrote:

I'm one that wishes I'd done more before having four kids :roll: , all i have to keep me sane is sarcasm :-(

No kids here, but what he ^^^^^ said :mrgreen:

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”