1994 Pathfinder Build

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Re: 1994 Pathfinder Build

Postby skidmark » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:15 pm

On the 1uz it had extra little ports on the heater lines at the rear,so I used those.. I've seen on td42 people tee off heater hoses..so I don't think either would be too much of an issue
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:32 pm

I used heater hoses on my water cooler turbo no problems
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:00 am

Awesome progress

Tough little trucks these Pathfinders
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:05 pm

My front bar is now compelte... :D

bar work.jpg

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:06 pm

lax2wlg wrote:Awesome progress

Tough little trucks these Pathfinders

Thanks mate! it seems to be taking forever though! Will be great to have it back on the road :D

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:31 pm

compllete bar.jpg

Complete bar.jpg

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Bit of an update! I bought myself a parts truck
parts truck.jpg
we went down to Cambridge today and collected this. It's pretty rough but had some really useful bits and pieces! Bit of a bonus that it came with a 9500lb winch and a good set of 31x10.5" Achillies desert storm muddies on 15x8" rims! Got it for a bloody bargain!

As for my actual truck.. I've bought some new Calmini upper control arms via offroad accessories in Christchurch so I am just waiting to hear back from them as to when they will be arriving! :)

I've been running into issues with engine bay space. It may not be the most ideal setup, but i've got a nice little front mount intercooler now tucked in behind my winch, which is now set back a whole lot further. Because of this, I don't have room for my radiator. So i have now re-located the radiator to the back of the truck
radiator relocation.jpg
I will be removing the window on the side and replacing it with "lexan" sheet and a NACA duct to assist with the cooling. It has dual fans which are on separate circuits so that they can be run individually. I'm guessing it's probably going to turn the truck into a mobile sauna but i suppose we will soon see how it performs ! :lol:

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Good work. Are you keeping it road legal?

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:27 pm

pretty sure there are legal issues with hot water in the cabin with out a firewall.

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:01 pm

To help with heat issues in the cab, you could have the fans on the outer side pulling the air through the radiator and then out of the "window" maybe?
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:15 pm

Since your doing that. Weld in a bulkhead behind the rear seats, with a window, so its then like a ute with a canopy. U could even properly seal the side pockets then you could hose it out. Get rid of both rear side windows for air flow etc

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Mattman wrote:Good work. Are you keeping it road legal?

It's going to be "Road legal" :lol: if you get me haha. The only driving it will ever see is bewteen home & the bush. So i'm hoping i won't have to much trouble with the law. I can get it a warrant with no issues though. I would like to see what it would fail on for a cert though - if it's going to be too much then it will become a dedicated trailer truck. I've made sure that everything is built correctly without cutting corners so don't get me wrong, i'm not going to have it on the road if it were to ever put anyone else in danger!

I can imagine that there would be some sort of issue with having the radiator where it is though like sheepy said if it were to be completely road legal.. Haven't really thought ahead as to what other options there are with it. Would like to see how it performs first like this before worrying about that i guess

Here's a couple of photo's of how it's looking at the moment! I bought some new headlights and corner lights so it's starting to look pretty fresh!

front of truck.jpg

front of truck 1.jpg

And the intercooler setup so far...

intercooler.jpg

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Sheepy wrote:pretty sure there are legal issues with hot water in the cabin with out a firewall.

the heater pipes and radiator sit under the dash inside the cabin :D

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:21 am

Ever seen a hot radiator tank burst..... the heater core under you dash is surrounded by plastic....even if it did rupture, no direct line of fire for the hot coolant.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Postby fh2014 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:32 am

Build looking good man! holy one gulp of dirty water in your v6 and you decided to go ham on it. Will be a beast I bet, see you out there

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:05 pm

fh2014 wrote:Build looking good man! holy one gulp of dirty water in your v6 and you decided to go ham on it. Will be a beast I bet, see you out there

Thanks man! Have to say i really do appreciate all the feedback i'm getting on it! Taking it all on board to try & improve it every way i can! 8) I'm now looking into a set of 35x12.5" Kumho 832's which are on beadlockers ! so should be pretty interesting if i get ahold of those!

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:45 pm

Loving it.
For what its worth, I personally wouldn't run 35s on this IFS platform. The running gear won't mind it (ie the diff and CVs.) Its just that with this platform was designed for a 31" tyre (unlike the Toyota which was designed for a 27" tyre), 35s would be overloading the hub/suspension assembly quite dramatically.

It will still work, and technically the susp/steering won't break, but you will go through balljoints and tie rod ends at a much higher rate.

Its not that IFS can't handle big tyres - it can. As can be seen in a multitude of commercial and high mobility applications.

Part of my long-travel IFS plans is to upgrade to Hummer upper balljoints. These are good for 37-40" tyres with an expected service life of 50,000 miles plus (65,000km).

Same with the steering. Upgrade the joints to Chevy 1 ton rod ends, which have a much larger surface area (ball stud) and therefore increased service life.

I feel that a 34x9.5 Interco (bias ply, ie a heavy tire) is the max that this hub/suspension assembly will tolerate while still giving long service life (so long as genuine Japanese parts are used)

In any event, its up to you obviously - shit I'd like to see it on 35s! Its all interesting learning though :wink:
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:30 am

Bwhahaha rolling on 27s Josh!

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:24 am

lax2wlg wrote:Loving it.
For what its worth, I personally wouldn't run 35s on this IFS platform. The running gear won't mind it (ie the diff and CVs.) Its just that with this platform was designed for a 31" tyre (unlike the Toyota which was designed for a 27" tyre), 35s would be overloading the hub/suspension assembly quite dramatically.

It will still work, and technically the susp/steering won't break, but you will go through balljoints and tie rod ends at a much higher rate.

Its not that IFS can't handle big tyres - it can. As can be seen in a multitude of commercial and high mobility applications.

Part of my long-travel IFS plans is to upgrade to Hummer upper balljoints. These are good for 37-40" tyres with an expected service life of 50,000 miles plus (65,000km).

Same with the steering. Upgrade the joints to Chevy 1 ton rod ends, which have a much larger surface area (ball stud) and therefore increased service life.

I feel that a 34x9.5 Interco (bias ply, ie a heavy tire) is the max that this hub/suspension assembly will tolerate while still giving long service life (so long as genuine Japanese parts are used)

In any event, its up to you obviously - shit I'd like to see it on 35s! Its all interesting learning though :wink:

Yeah unfortunately i missed out on the trademe auction for the wheels & tyres i was bidding on! :( but that's algood! It was a spare of the minute thought cause they were cheap at the time! Will have to put up running these darn simex's ... :wink:

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:52 pm

Having a joyful time removing the old engine.... F*ck! Whole subframe has to come out so the blody sump can clear the front diff.... What a joke... :oops: so pissed off!! :evil: :evil:
engine on crane.jpg

The new engine is all ready to go in now though. The old one is 3/4 of the way out but i lost patience with it and gave up! The shaft on the gearbox has only just cleared the splined section and is getting caught up on the last little bit but can't go any further foward with the engine cause the sump catches on the front diff and the gearbox is slid back as far as possible without completely taking it out! Got in contact with a friend's dad who's always keen on cashies so he's coming to give me a hand with it cause i've had enough of it already! :evil: I've done a fair few engine conversions but never stumbled uppon one that is this much of a mish! - maybe because it's mine & not someone else's ? I dunno , but i recon it's a very poor design nissan! not impressed ! Definitely will not be doing this again any time soon :lol:

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:46 pm

I gave up on the idea of putting the motor in by myself on the driveway! Had the truck transported up to Real Rides Ltd in Silverdale. A good friend of mines dad owns the business and he said he would be more than happy to help!

So the truck arrived up there on Monday afternoon. By the time I made it up to the workshop just before closing, the old engine was out and the new one was almost ready to go back in.
Engine outt.jpg
engine out.jpg

There's been a few changes to the setup so far that make a little more sense. The radiator is staying up in the back although the piping will now be routed through the floor bellow it and under and alongside the chassis to the front. The drivers side exhaust manifold has been flipped so that it too is now forward facing like the turbo manifold to minimum the length of piping needed to join the two banks together. The new engine is all in place now with new clutch and all the other crap. It's almost ready for startup as soon as the exhaust is finished and I get it some new engine oil & a filter.

new engine in.jpg

new engine in 1.jpg

New engine in 2.jpg

Made alot of little changes... Alternator & power steering have all been relocated and other bits & pieces ...

Will keep everyone updated on my progress! :)

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:48 pm

ssssssssututututu.jpg

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:48 pm

I can now announce that the truck is done! well, the truck will never be "done" but the engine is in & running :) kayton up at Real Rides Ltd finished the truck earlier today & #### me does it haul ass.... Definitely made the mistake of running such a large turbocharger as it does come onto boost a little late but once it hits it around 4500rpm it struggles to keep traction on the 33's in the dry... So i think it is fair to say that the power increase so far as been fairly significant for only 7psi!! I will try link or upload a video of it running for all of you, for the meantime it is just pictures though!

Still have heaps of bits & pieces to do before it can go out and play in the mud! Will keep everyone updated as i make progress! :D

shes a runner.jpg

she is a runner.jpg

she's a runner.jpg

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Good to see actual progress with something that initially was a big task and a bit outside the box.. All to often projects start off big and then slowly fade away ( mine included)

Your motivation should be huge now its running.

Shame tho about max boost at high revs, not ideal for wheeling, hopefully you can sort that

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:09 pm

J_Dub wrote:Good to see actual progress with something that initially was a big task and a bit outside the box.. All to often projects start off big and then slowly fade away ( mine included)

Your motivation should be huge now its running.

Shame tho about max boost at high revs, not ideal for wheeling, hopefully you can sort that

Thanks man! I really do appreciate all the help & information that everyone has given me to achieve this! I'm really really happy with it right now! Unfortunately, already i have run into my first problem.. I replaced the manifold studs & gaskets & already the drivers side bank has blown the manifold gasket out at #1 cylinder, so it's loosing a whole lot of power cause of that leak & it sounds like shit too! I believe this is probably contributing to it not spooling up very well too! :evil: So i'm a little gutted about that.. But, onwards & upwards! It's only a minor set back at this stage, so i will now double up the gaskets as recommended by a few people.

I was told at the start that this turbocharger wasn't going to be ideal. But i'm still not admitting defeat! I will make it work!! haha

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:23 pm

You might need an expansion joint in the exhaust cross over pipe between the two banks, when the pipe heats up it expands and might force the two manifolds apart causing the blown gasket...

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:11 pm

churchill wrote:You might need an expansion joint in the exhaust cross over pipe between the two banks, when the pipe heats up it expands and might force the two manifolds apart causing the blown gasket...

I can completely understand where you're coming from there! Just picking brains at the moment, but would it not be the same as the factory one then? Cause that doesn't have a flexy either? :idea:

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:58 pm

That thing runs seperation coils per cylinder eh??

Throw a Link ECU at it and run a ALS on it. That'l keep it spooling :D :D

Ignition delay ALS

Air Bypass ALS

Zero Lag System (external combustion)

Air Bypass and cyclic idle

Cyclic idle and Anti Lag kicking in just before launch

Who knows what they are running in these, ain't no Turbo Lag here :lol: :lol:

I'm still waiting for the comp trucks to have a go with it. Would be mint in a winch challenge of trials truck. Maybe just the anti lag with out the cyclic idle. Flick a switch and your turbos spooled up :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:09 pm

DieselBoy wrote:That thing runs seperation coils per cylinder eh??

Throw a Link ECU at it and run a ALS on it. That'l keep it spooling :D :D

Ignition delay ALS

Air Bypass ALS

Zero Lag System (external combustion)

Air Bypass and cyclic idle

Cyclic idle and Anti Lag kicking in just before launch

Who knows what they are running in these, ain't no Turbo Lag here :lol: :lol:

I'm still waiting for the comp trucks to have a go with it. Would be mint in a winch challenge of trials truck. Maybe just the anti lag with out the cyclic idle. Flick a switch and your turbos spooled up :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've been thinking about ecu options & personally i like the idea of a megasquirt. I've heard alot of mixed feedback about them from people but they're all the ones who "have a mate" who runs one. I've had a chat with numerous people who actually do run them and they said with there newer technology they're not actually that bad. Well, for what you pay anyways. The other option was a older model link g3. BUT, in saying that, I have been in contact with jarrod i think it is at megasquirt? & he has sussed me a bloody brilliant deal on a maffless setup that i can't really turn down.. So at this stage it's looking like that is the more affordable option. I am still open to ideas though if anyone has anything that will be usefull The truck does still run good, but no where near its potential that's for certain!

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:37 pm

MUDFINDER wrote:
churchill wrote:You might need an expansion joint in the exhaust cross over pipe between the two banks, when the pipe heats up it expands and might force the two manifolds apart causing the blown gasket...

I can completely understand where you're coming from there! Just picking brains at the moment, but would it not be the same as the factory one then? Cause that doesn't have a flexy either? :idea:

Check this out, if this is the right manifold there is an expansion joint in the middle. scroll a little way down the page:

http://krasnoyarsk.baza.drom.ru/nissan-vg30det-kolektor-i-forsunki-12045535.html

according to calcs with a 600mm long pipe at 700 degrees the pipe lengthens by 5mm over room temp length.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”