Rear winch on a disco?

flatsix
Driver/Navigator

Rear winch on a disco?

Postby flatsix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:58 pm

Anybody run a rear winch on a disco?

Always looking for a project, can weld up a removeable cradle okay, but are they worth having. Can only really think of twice that I have been pulled out backwards out of a river (in series landy days) where it could have gone to poo if we hadn't got a rope on quick

Apart from that a hi-lift and a bit of work and the old pig always comes out.

I think I could sort it so no overhang problem, or even mounted inside like a soft skin M806.

Or is it one of those ideas that seems like a good one, but actually isn't!

Cheers

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: Rear winch on a disco?

Postby mudlva » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:26 pm

Advantage of any rear mount winch is two fold.
The rope always winds on the same illrelavent of were the winch point is located.
The second is weight distrobution. The front axle is heavy enough at std design. Add extra battery bull bar and now the winch. Ahhhh.
Moving winch to the back will help ballance it a little

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:01 pm

mudlva wrote:Advantage of any rear mount winch is two fold.
The rope always winds on the same illrelavent of were the winch point is located.
The second is weight distrobution. The front axle is heavy enough at std design. Add extra battery bull bar and now the winch. Ahhhh.

I think he means winching backwards with a rear mounted Winch.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:07 pm

TJ wrote:
mudlva wrote:Advantage of any rear mount winch is two fold.

I think he means winching backwards with a rear mounted Winch.

:shock: :shock:

What like just to have a winch to pull you back to wear you were before you got stuck

What the purpose of that :? :?:

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:29 pm

mudlva wrote:
:shock: :shock:

What like just to have a winch to pull you back to wear you were before you got stuck

What the purpose of that :? :?:

I guess to try again, and get stuck again! :shock:

I think there is a good logical reason why 99.9% of people put the Winch to go forward. Now if you install it to be able to pull forward or backward as needed, that would be clever. Or mount two winches, one forward and one backward, sure. But only one Winch to go backwards only? I am not sure how beneficial it would be.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

flatsix
Driver/Navigator

Postby flatsix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:04 pm

I better clear this up before it all goes sideways.

Already have a front winch, no problem with that, handy piece of kit.

I'm considering an additional one on the back, either on the rear bar work, or in the removeable tow ball/recovery hook attachment or even inside on the floor (with mounting through to the rails)

Sometimes going forward isn't an option, and sometimes you don't have another truck to give you a pull backwards.

Not keen on the pullies/rollers/bollox of routing the front winch rope under the veh and out the back, that theory looks better on paper than in the mud.

Negatives; Adds weight, may affect overhang, WOF guys mightn't like it, might never get used anyway.
Positives, cheap enough these days, one day you might be extremely pleased to have it there.

Anyone have one?

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:44 am

Oh righto then.
Yep two winchs has a lot if logic.
Can be very handy in lowering the vehicle over banks and drop offs as well.
Dont know about the tow hitch location tho as generally when stuck that area is covered in mud as well.
Inside mounted imho has potential

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:01 am

I can answer with regard to usefulness but not about your mounting.

I had a rear mounted forward facing winch. The rope was permanently routed out the front. But it only took about 30 seconds to grab a snatch block and use the winch out the rear.

I used it very infrequently to go backwards, but when I did it was super handy. I used it a couple of time to pull trucks behind with broken winches up things where turning around would have been a right prick. I also used it in a comp when we broke a rope going forward. Simply pulled the broken end out the back winched out backwards and then backed into the obstacle and winched through backwards (DNF'ed by three seconds!). Also used it a couple of times when I needed to back out of an obstacle and help was not super close (ie I was lead truck and could rescue myself before the next truck had finished with the previous obstacle). Another time I really wanted it was on a sidling that was a bit sketch. I ended up running the front winch out at 100 degrees, up to a block and then hooked onto rear of my truck. This was not ideally but worked. It was one of the catalysts to sorting out my rear mount.

In short, if you play by yourself at all, I highly recommend it. If you have a spare winch floating around and can sort an elegant solution, I highly recommend it.
It's kind of like a high lift or a chainsaw I guess. You don't absolutely need one, but when want one, no other solution is as good.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

BadCo
Hard Yaka

Postby BadCo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:50 pm

What about a maxi drive front and rear power take off? Now that would be choice.

flatsix
Driver/Navigator

Postby flatsix » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:03 pm

Some good points there, thanks for that.

Using it to let yourself down a face wasn't something I thought about but would work quite well (although might be a bit hard core for me), but could be handy to let a boat trailer down and pull it back up again.

Another use is to winch stuff onto a trailer, while its still hooked to your vehicle, which is handy.

That all helps focus the thinking, so no use having the mount on the tow bar now as I may want a trailer on at the same time, and the inside mount isn't going to be a good as I first thought because I can't get the door fully open with the jet boat on the back as it hits the spare tyre.

I leaning towards a permanent mount small winch, that will need a snatch block to double the pull when needed, that keeps the weight and size down so I can open the door, and also not end up with a arse dragging appendage too low.

What's the smallest winch the gurus would rate to pull a fully mud stuck disco out, with a snatch block on the anchor and the rope back to the wagon?

Cheers

Snafu
Hard Yaka

Postby Snafu » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:49 am

We looked into the legalities of chopping out the rear crossmember to fit a winch on mine. Lance the cert guy says no problem at all, a decent winch plate put in it's place would more than compensate for the existing crossmember.

Photo of some of the Turkish Land Rovers with Rear Winches. I have only seen them on their Disco 2's and Defenders so far, not seen one on a Disco 1. No idea how different the rear end is between the two.

The orange TD5 Turkish Disco runs a Warn 16000lb up front and a Tabor 12000lb at the rear
The blue Disco at the back runs Warn Zeon 12000 Winch Front, Warn 10000 Winch Rear.
Attachments
D2 with rear Winch.jpg
1999 Disco1, 300TDi, Snorkel, ARB Lockers, 9.5k Winch, Custom Bars & Sliders, +5in Lift. Silverstone MT-117
2007 Disco3 TDV6, eDiff, ARB Front Locker, Snorkel, ARB & Kaymar Bars, 12K Winch, Bash plates, Sliders, Llams, Maxxis MT's

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:13 am

A lot of years ago one of our club guys (now passed on) used to run a Range Rover and he had square tow hitch mounts front and rear.
He carried a 12000lb elec winch in the back and many a time he'd be lead vehicle as it was seriously capable and he could take the winch out and mount it front or rear depending which way he needed to go. An auto sparky had put cable connection points each end and modified the winch cable to suit.

It was highly effective especially if a stuck truck behind him needed winching.

Team Tonka
Hard Yaka

Postby Team Tonka » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:06 pm

There's room on a disco to fit a winch underneath on the passenger side parallel with the rear drive shaft. (with a bit of adjustment to the exhaust). Winch line then runs over drive shaft to other side and can then be routed down the chassis rail to front or rear. Body lift helps as there is then room on top of the chassis rail for line routing. Bit of work but worth the bother if you are handy with a grinder and welder.
May the force be with you.

Snafu
Hard Yaka

Postby Snafu » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:17 pm

Team Tonka wrote:There's room on a disco to fit a winch underneath on the passenger side parallel with the rear drive shaft. (with a bit of adjustment to the exhaust). Winch line then runs over drive shaft to other side and can then be routed down the chassis rail to front or rear. Body lift helps as there is then room on top of the chassis rail for line routing. Bit of work but worth the bother if you are handy with a grinder and welder.

Yes, we did also explore that possibility, looked like more space on the drivers side and there were a couple of appropriate sized winched that could work.
1999 Disco1, 300TDi, Snorkel, ARB Lockers, 9.5k Winch, Custom Bars & Sliders, +5in Lift. Silverstone MT-117
2007 Disco3 TDV6, eDiff, ARB Front Locker, Snorkel, ARB & Kaymar Bars, 12K Winch, Bash plates, Sliders, Llams, Maxxis MT's

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:56 pm

Some thing to keep in mind on designing under floor set up is how easy it is to connect a broken rope back to the drum.

Just worth keeping that thought as you rout the rope

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”