3%
Monday shinyish trip
21%

Total votes: 34
hillfilly
Driving Ms Daisy

Re: ORE Westcoast 2017 Organisation

Postby hillfilly » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:27 pm

Have the north islanders made it safely over the strait yet?

Truck not legal but if I can sneak it past the short man I may make one of the shiny trips.
Not what if, but why not

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Blue bridge has cancelled our sailing tomorrow and refunded us, so that's us out :cry:

Better organise a Nth Is gathering lol
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:58 am

hillfilly wrote:Have the north islanders made it safely over the strait yet?

Truck not legal but if I can sneak it past the short man I may make one of the shiny trips.

We came down last weekend​. Had a great couple of days in the st James camping and MTB. Then the weather turned to crap so we decided to do some shopping.... Currently on the way back up from Dunedin with my new jetboat :D heading for Nelson then will see what the weather does.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:32 pm

How's the trip going guys?
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Might be stuck somewhere mate....no reply yet lol.
Will be 'Nuts' fault....."go there - I did" he would have said.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:37 pm

Lol since you boys want something, I'll give you my story.... it wont be much and no pic's sorry wasn't game to carry the camera in the buggy
Since I was still working on the toy till 12;30 thurs night I decided to leave head over fri and take my time .... stopped in at Toms (offroad) to waste a couple of hrs gas bagging and then slowly travelled over due to the traffic and the rain and a crap handling trailer I'd rented scared me a couple of times in corners and had me talking to it when I nearly went up the ass of a Horse and wagon lol only on the coast! When we finally got to Nuts, after a bit of handshake or three and a nose round alot of Safari's.... hmmm just out of curiosity what would a group of safari's be called, thought it could be a "pod" .... hmmm maybe I had better not take the piss out of them they kinda outlasted me
Anyway back to the story I find out that the Welly boys are off playing on Tailings I think and would be in later so its just Nuts and the three lads from CHCH, a couple of legal safs, another that they are working on to install lifted suspension and a set of 36" TSL's and one madmax saf with a LJ zook cab and trayback on super swampers
After a bit the welly boys and a few others start to rock in.... great to see some old faces... so two more safs a hilux, a nice sas job on a Mu, a trick datson and jaffa
While all this is going on I went to park the toy n trailer up out of the way only to have my navy point out to me the reversing tab had been locked in on the trip over lol now makes sense!
After a bit the welly boys decide the camp in town is better than a wet lawn.... don't blame them. Nuts seems to the be the only one who doesn't care about the rain and its ALOT of rain lol
I got offered some floor space that was free and I'm cheap so that was us... my navy wanted a decent feed so we buggered off into town, while washing down a mediocre feed got a call from a couple of workmates who on a whim had picked westport to go visit for the night and wanted to know what I was up to there after parking behind my ute lol found them at the pub across the street that was us till we were kicked out lol back to Nuts and a few more and some good banter

Next morning still wet but clearing after alot of nobody deciding the call finally ended up being Denniston while this decission was being made I added a flash new snorkle (mix of Nuts cast off saf bits some odd bits of spouting and a piece of 100mm duct offcut I had from work plus a flash Norsewear filter) Got my workmates seats in the now lifted saf so it was off...

About half of us parked up at the bottom of the road up to Denniston, Jaffa and the rest were a bit delayed trying to fix Jaffas steering pump that didnt want to pump
After a good bit of time to let the toy warm up for its first ever outing we set off lol this thing is a piece of.... lol! the radius arms because of the angled mounting and extreme angle (especially on the rear ones) are steering me every time I adjust the throttle at times its a challenge to keep it in the lane! after a bit I decide to leave it on the limiter its easier to steer and this is about where it all stopped in a big cloud of blue smoke.... pop the bonnet to discover ALOT of oil that isn't in the motor and a hole in the block.... all this about 1km from the trailer and another 5km from the first bit of 4wdíng lol

So we grabbed the snatch strap out of her and left it sitting on the side of the road jumped in the now lifted saf and headed up to the "pig route" track... with the workmates wowing over how extreme this shinny track was we headed over the top till the Madmax zook pulled over to fix a wee coolent overflow issue.... they waved us on so we carried on after a bit they still hadn't turned up so we went looking for them....one almost cooked TD later and several drained puddles, we had the airlock out and the rear mount rad pipes back at temp and they were back up racing and onto the flats to play on the rocks

Once up out of the old mining roads it turns to rock, the traction on the rock is incredible non of the slick stuff I'm used too a few stops for pic's (waiting to see if anyone got the MU rearing a wheel on a steep rock climb looked good from down below)
Then we dropped into the stream and drove up between the rocks.... just magic!
The weather continued to clear to a nice overcast day as we got to the top, a few of the guys decided to tramp up to the waterfall at the top while we waited for the slow pokes being lead by Nuts
When we were all caught up a few of the boys had a play on a steep little climb Jaffa struggling to line up with armstrong steering but when he got there made it look easy till he hit a wet patch at the base of a step, Next up was the madmax zook lol with comments about DoC sending in choppers to put out the fire that must be in the cloud of coal smoke from the open header..... honestly it was bad enough at one point we couldn't see his spotter who was just about touching the front of the truck! but perseverance and second gear govener starts later got him about 4"s further than jaffa
Time to head on out I ended up in Nuts wagon, was good sitting in with him getting a running commentary on history and the tracks

Getting down the hill hear some interesting comments over the radio somebodys brakes pumping smoke... someone elses wheels on fire lol anyway get to the ute and get back up the hill to the toy to winch it on to alot of smiles and a comment about using my spilled oil to good use....
A stop off at the bottle store and back to Nuts for a great feed of white bait venison and crayfish and to find out poor ole nuts had, had to drive home at 35km/hr due to panhard bush death wooble
Another night of banter and drinks
Next morning the boys decided to do Chasim so with my sad toy loaded as they setout we bailed

For a non 4wd'n, 4wd'n weekend I had a ball people and trucks were great and the tracks and scenery is just something else.... I'll be back now all I have to do is decide if I rebuild and fix the pile of crap or put my money and time into Mk II

Cheers Guys, and a special thanks to you Nuts if you can keep your internet going long enough to read this lol

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:47 am

Thanks for the report! Be great to see some pics of anybody has some.

We got a bit held up when a wheel decided to fall off my new 45 year old boat trailer, made it home ok though. The cruiser never missed a beat towing all the way back from Dunedin, just made more noise & used more petrol :D

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

stinky
House Hubby

Postby stinky » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Just Got home Thanks for the awesome trip nice to meet some new people and at long last Mr Nuts who is without doubt the nicest west coaster ever. Thank you Sir for your time patience and hospitality you truly are a legend. Thanks to Mike Reece and lynn who put up with me and dog and those all to many toilet stops. We had a blast took plenty of snaps Which Mike will sort and post at some stage as for damage i broke a fw hub and a flair fell off (it fell off every day at least once so will count it as once)

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Any idea of when there'll be piccies out?
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Tue May 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Crawlerer79 wrote:Any idea of when there'll be piccies out?

Just got the photos all up on the server, all 17gigs worth. I need to resize them and seperate the vids out. I have a script that will do most of it. just need to find it, it's been a while since I last saw it or used it, bit like my 13mm spanners!
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

nuts
Hard Yaka

Postby nuts » Thu May 25, 2017 8:09 pm

:D :D :D Thanks for voming I enjoyed picking on you all :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: look forward to the next time .... :D :twisted: :D
people think i have a problem with insanity .... i dont i enjoy every minute ..... 0278900597

Return to “Planning a trip?”