paj1 build up

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Re: paj1 build up

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Mint, thought about using 3.5 pajero intake/radiator plumbing since it's already a north south engine?

Should go hard!

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:48 pm

I thought the Pajero was the only 4 cam 3.5....?
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Also do you have any info on that engine? Like the year etc?

Reason I ask is my 3.5 runs out of puff at about 5500 rpm yet the rev limiter is at somewhere just over 7000. The cams from the engine you have might be different and might make power higher in the rpm range which I'd like, and drop straight in. I'm tight so don't want to go down the road of aftermarket cams :roll:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:02 pm

Diamante and magna s are 4 cam 2.5 and 3.5

No don't like how the manifold sits and won't have room with the s/c in relation to the throttle body,
Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:03 pm

dvk-kp wrote:Also do you have any info on that engine? Like the year etc?

Reason I ask is my 3.5 runs out of puff at about 5500 rpm yet the rev limiter is at somewhere just over 7000. The cams from the engine you have might be different and might make power higher in the rpm range which I'd like, and drop straight in. I'm tight so don't want to go down the road of aftermarket cams :roll:

I'm not sure rpm limit on the diamante this engine came from is 8500

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Diamante and magna s are 4 cam 2.5 and 3.5
No I don't like how the manifold sits and won't have room with the s/c in relation to the throttle body.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:
dvk-kp wrote:Also do you have any info on that engine? Like the year etc?

I'm not sure,the rpm limit on the diamante this engine came from is 8500
I'd say it is the cams and ecu tune, but also I found Mitzi's exhaust systems are very restrictive as well, have ya looked at that aspect?

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Cool thanks, will do more research into changing to thos cams. Read a lot on ozzy forums and they always talk about changing cams to Magna/diamanté cams but a lot of what they deal with is sohc and I'm unsure what they are referring to, different spec cars sold to different country's etc.

Yep I've got a good exhaust, made some headers and a full 3" exhaust, also have a k&n air filter and snorkel so I'd say it's breathing as well as it can.

In the mud the drop in power isn't noticeable, revs straight out to rev limit but on the road, under proper load it feels really flat after 5500ish. Noticeable torque drop off.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep researching and stop polluting your build thread! :lol:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:14 pm

dvk-kp wrote:Cool thanks, will do more research into changing to thos cams. Read a lot on ozzy forums and they always talk about changing cams to Magna/diamanté cams but a lot of what they deal with is sohc and I'm unsure what they are referring to, different spec cars sold to different country's etc.

Yep I've got a good exhaust, made some headers and a full 3" exhaust, also have a k&n air filter and snorkel so I'd say it's breathing as well as it can.

In the mud the drop in power isn't noticeable, revs straight out to rev limit but on the road, under proper load it feels really flat after 5500ish. Noticeable torque drop off.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep researching and stop polluting your build thread! :lol:

yeah it'll defo be the cams and ecu tune then, probably tuned for low down torque when fitted to the pajero vs top end hp in the diamante etc

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Well now. This crazy arsed plan of fitting the engine and supercharger might actually work 8)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Have got it to a point i can fire it up and move around the yard.

had a bit of a set back with one of the injector seat seals not doing its job so had to pull intake off again and replace that.

got the alternator re mounted up high again (factory position is down low on the 6g74 block), top rad hose re-directed to clear the cross over intake pipe done ,vacuum lines, throttle linkage, done.

still have to make cover for the Alt to stop the mud/water from splashing on it from bonnet vents, oil catch can, remount battery tray, will make a custom air box for it once the final location for the pro drive style super charger is figured out, for the time being at least i can run it in standard N/A form with the factory 180kw.

tidy the loom up some more where it departs the firewall for the engine sensors.
make up a new tensioner/idler pulley configuration for the multi rib belt to run to incorperate the new position of the alternator and allow for the primary drive for the S/C

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Awesome stuff mate, you don't piss around!

Post a video when ya got it up and running, bet it will be fun even without boost. 8)

Is 180kw at the engine? A factory rating for that engine? And how does that compare to a 3.5 pajero?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:51 pm

dvk-kp wrote:Awesome stuff mate, you don't piss around!

Post a video when ya got it up and running, bet it will be fun even without boost. 8)

Is 180kw at the engine? A factory rating for that engine? And how does that compare to a 3.5 pajero?

Tbh i dont know a hell of a lot about this particular engine apart from being from a JDM imported ralliart magna/diamante which differed from the australian assembled magna/diamante, the difference being that the JDM engines run 24 valve four cam setup as apposed to the aussie assembled ones that were 24 valve but ran single cam with forked shape rockers so it could still operate two valves from one cam lobe. the SOHC 24 valve still runs a larger mass head to incorperate the rockers etc were as the DOHC heads are a lower profile not having so many moving parts.

taken from wiki
The Ralliart concept in sedan form only, was a further development of the VR-X and the most powerful Magna ever designed to leverage off Mitsubishi's World Rally Championship exploits.

"The engine was a reworked version of the 6G74 design fitted to Magna Sports and VR-X, but now generating 180 kW thanks to a more aggressive cam profile, modified head and combustion chamber (compression ratio from the Sports/VR-X's 9.0:1 to 9.4:1), remapped ECU and a modified Magna VR-X exhaust system –"

I think the standard 6g74 produced in aussie is some where in the vicinity of 150-160kw and yes both measured at the flywheel.

So it would seem its not just the cam duration and ecu tune but also significantly more head work aswell.

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks for the info, will have to see if I can track down one of thos cars for parts.

Keep up the good work. Trucks looking really good! 8)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:39 am

Well, the moment a few of you have been waiting for, got it out on the road today for a shake down,

I cant tell you what speed i got up to being on a public road but it hit the open road limit in second gear and the torque curve is massive, just pulled and pulled all the way up to 7200 on 33x 12.5 tires. :mrgreen: I need a new tacho' :?
and yes the video is deliberate to avoid the identifying the road etc

the video cant do that exhaust note justice either, music to my ears. lol

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Awesome stuff! Looks like it goes really well. Love how far into the red line it revs! :lol:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:35 pm

dvk-kp wrote:Awesome stuff! Looks like it goes really well. Love how far into the red line it revs! :lol:

That's not even the limit on that engine either. Lol redline on the original dash that the motor came from was 8500 lol.

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:
dvk-kp wrote:Awesome stuff! Looks like it goes really well. Love how far into the red line it revs! :lol:

That's not even the limit on that engine either. Lol redline on the original dash that the motor came from was 8500 lol.

Holy shit! That's really singing. Can't wait to hear it wide open in the mud! Keep thos tyres nice and clear :lol:

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Ya mind chucking in a link to the video as well as just embedding it... our computers pretty clapped out and can't get it to even show up :evil: Cheers
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Crawlerer79 wrote:Ya mind chucking in a link to the video as well as just embedding it... our computers pretty clapped out and can't get it to even show up :evil: Cheers

https://youtu.be/UFukT6kqY_g

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:52 pm

So after hoofing around the last couple of days had a couple of things crop up.

#1 once up to temp and the fans turned on the engine almost stalled at idle, so had to wire up the auxillary idle control valve up manually to a relay that was turned on when the fans turn on. havent figured out why the computer isnt operating it.

#2 i didnt allow for enough flex in the intake pipe where it connects to the AFM and when ya stand on the gas the engine pulls/flex's so hard on its mounts that it dislodged the steel intake pipe from the afm joiner on a couple of occasions so cut the pipe and added a 70mm silicone joiner to allow more flex.

Apart from that it goes well.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:41 pm

well after a few weeks took it for a round trip 140km's today with trailer on and it would seem the trans doesn't seem to like the extra power too much, about half way home the A/T temp light came on so pulled over and flicked the fans on manual with the trans in neutral to chill it back down (the A/C core is now the A/T cooler infront of the radiator) but had an inkling something wasn't right as generally it would pass on the heat to the engine radiator and that would be running warmer too but it wasn't (engine didn't go over 87degrees the whole trip).
popped the bonnet and put my hand down behind the grill onto the trans cooler and it was pretty much stone cold.

so i have some investigation to do, apparently the trans cooler bypass valve is operated by two signals, a second temp sender on the engine aswell as a trans temp sender so either the bypass valve is stuck shut or i have a damaged sender.

1bad4x
Hard Yaka

Postby 1bad4x » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:11 pm

Nice work. & you have given me the incentive to build my own winch bar... only started welding a week ago..
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:09 pm

finally.......got some safari springs fitted in the rear of the paj.

along with a ball joint flip and an eye'O'meter camber shim and steering realignment till i get to town to get it done properly
if any one wants some Lwb springs to lift the back of there swb i have a set spare.

in other news brought this little 12v ride on jeep thing for my son, that lasted half a day before it got retro fitted with a car battery.

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 am

nothing jeep about that fella .... :wink: ..see your pic doing the rounds , this copy off aussie site...... :D

21761852_1651216048223465_9142483555351105642_n.jpg

famous..........................................
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:28 pm

yeti wrote:nothing jeep about that fella .... :wink: ..see your pic doing the rounds , this copy off aussie site...... :D

21761852_1651216048223465_9142483555351105642_n.jpg

famous..........................................

yep seen it on a montero /pajero site in canada and another couple of places in europe too . lol

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:30 pm

got sick of looking at the munted rear bumper so doing something about it. not much to write home about really, just one big 3mm plate jigsaw puzzle in the proccess of gettin tacked together, Kind of design as I go style this one, no real plan as such,

....it will have notches built in for the high lift to slot into for jacking thou.....not that my 40" jack is long enough to actually lift the truck's rear wheels off the ground after the lift went in. :roll:

1bad4x
Hard Yaka

Postby 1bad4x » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:17 pm

don't do to good of a job... you may inspire me to do mine... :!: :?:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Frankenstein of geometry
Ran outta gas for the welder so out with the trusty flux core. beats having to clean the steel up before welding, just hit it with the grinder and flap disc afterwards

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:15 pm

All ready for next weekend

Return to “Projects / Mod's”