v8 tj...luvs the gas......

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Re: sheffield on again

Postby Crawlerer79 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Sweet! I guess the Landie will need to be running by the 27th then.... :D
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:04 pm

How much is the entry fee? The event page just says "min. $30" and that entry on the day costs $50... but minimum entry fee of $30 is a touch vague. I mean do we just submit our entry form on the website and then put $30 into the listed bank account and hope that it stayed at $30???? Cheers
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:03 pm

Pay now $30 pay on the day $ 50 .... End of the day it's fundraiser

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 pm

yeti wrote:Pay now $30 pay on the day $ 50 .... End of the day it's fundraiser

Yea the price is no worries... just wanna make sure I don't pay 'em short and miss me a spot :lol:

Any other ORE members going???? (Watch or compete)
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Sheffield cancelled ,new date to be confirmed.......farms under water ..................just got txt sent to me ...will update when when rick updates me ...
Cheers

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Bother!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

Too wet???
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 am

Rain off date was 3rd September
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 pm

New date 24 September.

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:04 pm

drive it ... wrote:New date 24 September.

yep ...........................Nev rung today way to wet ,all who have entered should of got a call :D

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:37 pm

'ang on a minute...since when does a mudplug get rained off? :shock:
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:'ang on a minute...since when does a mudplug get rained off? :shock:

Hahha awesome pic... the feild they use for public parking for all the punters along ta watch is a lake... :lol:
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Crawlerer79 wrote:
Crash bandicoot wrote:'ang on a minute...since when does a mudplug get rained off? :shock:

Hahha awesome pic... the feild they use for public parking for all the punters along ta watch is a lake... :lol:

Yes I must admit, by the afternoon the competitors trucks were towing the transporters and cars out of the carpark at the last one I went to. Lol

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Truck's coming along nicely... the postponement certainly helped with the time factor! Seeing as it'll be my first drive of the truck with a locker and the huge offset beadlocks etc. (will wanna figure out tyre pressures and the like, plus get used to the extra width) I'm thinking of going for a test run. Where would you guys recommend I test the truck (looking for similar conditions to sheffield). Don't wanna drive too far outta Christchurch. Was planning on North bank of the Waimak but not sure how the tracks are after the flood? Cheers guys
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

basics
Hard Yaka

Postby basics » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:55 am

Crash bandicoot wrote:
Crawlerer79 wrote:

Yes I must admit, by the afternoon the competitors trucks were towing the transporters and cars out of the carpark at the last one I went to. Lol

ben to a few events like that, thats when you know its been a sucsess :lol:

ive never been to sheffield, but love the pics and videos ive seen, definatly want to check it out sooner rather than later
99 pajero exceed 3.2

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:18 pm

i should ring Nev, but anyone know if spots left?
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:54 pm

still spots left mate .............................

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:13 pm

2 Weeks to go!!!!!

Any other ORE members competing?
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:22 pm

Still all go for this weekend????

Having heaps of rain and supposedly 15mm more tomorrow up that way. Definitely won't be having to worry about it being dry...

If it's all going to plan, I guess the cage will have to wait! Gonna run out of time to fit that up
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 am

4x4 events

Sheffield mud plug is ON!
All spaces are full
Water is expected to be 1mtr deep unless rain before hand

Share this around please

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:04 pm

yeti wrote:Sheffield mud plug is ON!
All spaces are full
Water is expected to be 1mtr deep unless rain before hand

Share this around please

Wahoo!!!! Very stoked. Guess I better fit gearbox and t/case breaters then...
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

aroma
Hard Yaka

Postby aroma » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Was Talking To Nev today is on as above

I am looking for a navvie anyone interested my sign disclaimer for the mud plug and have own helmet, and be prepared to get wet.. :D
you can get me on here or 0274 913440 Warren

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Was an awesome day out. WIll post some piccies when I have time. Anyone know where event results are posted?
Thanks

Teaser:

'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

aroma
Hard Yaka

Postby aroma » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Great day, Tim you looked like you enjoyed your day and drove on the trailer at the end of the day :D

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:03 pm

22007368_1251548348308328_2611078243124825553_n.jpg

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:55 pm

aroma wrote:Great day, Tim you looked like you enjoyed your day and drove on the trailer at the end of the day :D

Certainly was! Good to meet you Warren, and good to see the Jeep left with some mud on it!!!! Was very pleased that it was still running at the end of the day... and even more pleased to get 8th in class!!!! Did not expect it on 32" tyres :mrgreen:

If anyone was there and wants piccies of their truck, just say so. May be able to find a piccie although my supporters mainly followed me round....
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

mud_slinger
Hard Yaka

Postby mud_slinger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:42 pm

hey mate did ya get any pics of the black mu before it had a melt down? think i helped ya out with inflating a ya tyre
needs more curry

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:02 pm

mud_slinger wrote:hey mate did ya get any pics of the black mu before it had a melt down? think i helped ya out with inflating a ya tyre

Was yours the Mu that made all the smoke??? I don't have any photos myself but I think my sister has one of the smoke... once school goes back I'll ask my mates. Think it might have been someone else... I didn't change pressures throughout the day... maybe the blue Disco you helped???
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:43 pm

Figured I might as well post my build thread's write up here too:

Crawlerer79 wrote:Update #7

Figured its about time I do a write up on the Sheffield Mud Plug...

It was an early start, not helped by the Daylight Savings switch over the night before and the lack of sleep due to nerves!!!!
Made it up to Sheffield by 8:30 before airing down to 15psi and running through scrutineering...

Then we walked the tracks and picked out Stage 1 as the only one we wanted to skip as the water was quite deep... looking back I think it'd have been fine but that's hindsight for ya!

After the driver's briefing we started on Stage 7 (which ended up being one of the harder stages by the afternoon) but despite being one of the last to leave the pits (so I wouldn't be first through the stage) I ended up running Stage 7 first as the others starting on 7 all got lost! Not gonna lie... despite it just being a low-key, fun day, with it being my first comp. (and the first time driving in any real mud - I'm used to pea gravelly rivers), the nerves before the start were through the roof!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r05fiTE0po

I ended up crawling through the whole stage, basically ploughing out all the grass and scum that had gathered since the last event... but made it through for a zero!

Stage Eight was very easy and went just as well, was a simple climb up and back down, again with a zero, this time not resorting to the locker either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45fCoUIzcW0

Nine went terribly... managed to wedge myself into a gully that fitted the Landie's wheelbase perfectly... pushed in the fuel tank a touch too (now regret not throwing the skidplate off the other truck on now... hindsight again!)

Stage Ten was one I was rather nervous for... I remember watching vehicles drop over the edge in the past onto the front two wheels before burying themselves in the bog at the bottom... As I dropped over the edge, my cousin threw the locker in and we gave it full jandal... and made it through for a 10 (unfortunately knicked the peg up top)... but we made it through so I was stoked!!!!

The first round continued on and ended up surprising myself a couple times... gotta say, the front locker and locked rear really helped!!!! Drove a couple due to good lines and a couple due to coming to the course at the right time... ended up finishing round one with 640 points.... doing much better than I expected!!!!

Over lunch Dad cleared out the radiator of all the grass etc. that was caught up in it... before heading out for Round 2.

Round 2 didn't go quite as well, with the truck dying in the middle of stages when I let off the throttle too much... wet electrics :roll:

However the truck kept running enough that I didn't have to pull out and the problem cleared out by itself... so we continued on. With it being the second pass, the truck was struggling a lot more being on 32"s with ruts dug nice and deep by trucks on 35"-40"s!!!! Also forgot to throw the centre diff lock in ( :oops: ) for a few of the afternoon stages which I was very disappointed about when I realised... a couple stages I only just couldn't get though and I wonder whether I may have if I'd been locked in! Ended up on the rope a couple times and skipped 3 stages in the afternoon due to it being dug out to the point I was worried I'd get stuck in the deep water... not something I was keen on with the truck already cutting in and out on me!!!! Got some good drives in again with the lockers really doing their job on the vertical steps... really help pull ya through!

Givin' in heaps

Stage Four (one of my favourites)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfgIGZDkp9U

Stage Five before lunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdZyZflipdA

Had to be hauled outta Stage Five after the layout was changed over lunch

Stage Seven in the afternoon got me! (Note: Lost my headlight cover :evil: ... I guess I'll make another ahaha)

Then, Stage 10. The truck before me stuck it right on its nose and ended up having to be hauled out of the bog... nerves went up again! We lined up for the drop, hit the bottom, pinned it and managed to climb the far bank to avoid the nasty hole that had been dug out throughout the day. We just hung on to the edge of the bank and made it out for a zero... an improvement!!!! I was over the moon!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL6wn6f8lxM

After one more stage (DNF'd) we were finished for the day, and headed back to the pits. After handing in a less promising score card (1040 points) we loaded the truck and watched the last few trucks put on a show!!!!

Then came prize giving... and not expecting to place very high I had a quick look at the prize table but didn't think my chance of getting a good placing would be very high... especially after finding a DNS was worth 200 points, not the 100 I thought it was (hindsight again, woulda at least 'broken the beam' and called it quits half way through the run... would have saved me 400 points!).

Anyways the prize giving started... Truck class, Andrew Satherly placed first.. Steve Bruerton placed 5th...and then I got called 8th! I was so stoked! 8th in class and 15th overall (out of 41 entrants) with 1680 points.... Not bad for 32s and a 17 and 15 year old team if I don't say so myself!

Hindsight again tho... if I had started those 4 courses and saved me the 400 points I'd have come 6th in class and 10th overall... however I guess this doesn't count for much cause everyone has those "if only" moments and who knows... I coulda popped it on its lid or something... I'll never know!

What I do know now is that I am having a pretty strong debate in my head going... as to whether I really need to go 35"s. With smaller diff pumpkins, Lando on 33s will not be short changed too much against other trucks on 35"s for winch challenges and it is a whole lot simpler and cheaper, not to mention less stressful on the truck and the truck will be more stable.

So even tho I said 35"s were the plan... the verdict's now out. Yet again :lol:

Before I wrap this post up, a big thanks goes to Dad for all the effort he's put in on Lando helping me get it all ready for the comp. and for loaning me the locker... huge thank you Dad!!!! And other big thanks has to go to my cousin. Only 15, William jumped in with me in the truck and did a brilliant job, especially considering he's never been properly 4WDing before, so to have not said a thing as I threw Lando over some pretty hairy drops was very impressive, and he did a great job getting the rope on quickly when I ran outta talent... saved a lot of water from coming inside. What a baptism of fire! And it'd be safe to say that I may have found myself a navvy for next year too :D

So yea, thanks to them plus of course all my family and the people who organised and ran the Mud Plug itself.. was a great day out. Now I just have to wait for the Selwyn to go down a bit so I can wash the underneath of the truck off.

Until then,
Cheers guys

PS: Video does not do the exhaust note justice!!!!
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:37 pm

you want to talk to Mattman about what he has done to his rangie, turning into quite the weapon i might add. has 35" silverstones on land cruiser axles.

Return to “Events”