Rangie 2-door redux

turoa
Pyro Junior

Rangie 2-door redux

Postby turoa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Since its all up and running thought Id throw up some pics in here :mrgreen: . Havnt really documented it but have enough to throw some pics up.

Bought this old girl on a whim as it was cheap. Had a PTO, shitty old tahs on it and not running. Had been sitting around in someones yard since 2013 so did the only smart thing we could and blew the tyres up and flat towed it back to my house down the motorway. Same colour truck as I had about 12 years ago so good nostalgia value 8)

Looked pretty good on initial inspection but after alot of poking around found some of the majors.

- Major rust in sills and floor under the dynamat
- Electrically was a nightmare as someone had out an entire d1 loom into it to make the injection work (rather than just using the engine harness out of it)
- D1 dash horily screwed to dash top
- Really bad half cage in it with rear seats removed and spare bolted to floor
- a piece of roofing iron as a trans tunnel
- rusty rear windows

After a bit of dicking around and a new set of plugs it fired up enough for a few strops around the neighbourhood.

So hopped to it and first thing to do was bolt 33's off bobtail on and start painting stuff. Started with the front bar :mrgreen: . Also around now we ripped the cage out and installed a rear seat.

This is the extent of the rust on the drivers side. Passengers wasnt so bad. Problem was it had soe sticky ass sound deadner that would just not come off. Lots of swearing later I got it good enough to weld to.

Then some more paint underneath. About this time the clutch gave out :( Turned out the clutch disc had disintegrated and it wouldn't disengage. Replaced every single clutch component to figure this out. Didn't have time to do it so trusted my local mechanic to do it for me. Unfortunately it came back not working (because the slave was reinstalled upside down and they couldn't bleed it), with a whole bunch of broken or not reinstalled parts and no gaskets in the exhaust. Would have been faster to do the job myself than fix all the fuckups but lesson learned :evil:

Then came the mammoth effort of wiring. Took the d1 cluster out and got a classic one to put in the hole. Learned that they have the same plugs but completely different wiring and with no pinout available for either dash I spend quite some time tracing the circuits and making my own. Thankfully all worked out well and the gauges seem to be the same range resistances so they work well. Unfortunately the tacho in the dash is cooked so that does not work but not the end of the world.

After doing that I got frustrated with the seemingly endless amount of wiring in the thing and the intermittent starting issues. This turned out to be the ignition switch in the end but was worth stripping out the massive amounts of wiring in the thing! this is only some of what we took out.

After that I painted the flares, made a new trans tunnel cover, installed PRS and fridge, installed new rear windows out of my rust free shell, did a whole bunch of other shit that I cant remember that was important, went for a WOF (passed first go thank ####) and made some roof racks and whacked the tent on top. There was a massive shit ton of work that went into this thing with every weekend and week night taken up at a mates workshop tinkering away to get it going.

After all that I went wheeling and camping for a week (4 days after passing wof) :mrgreen:

I learnt that its slow as all hell, PTO winches are awesome, Im way too rusty at wheeling and definitely a lot lighter on the skinny pedal :mrgreen: . Thankfully after all of that I didn't have to lift the bonnet once, just put shit tons of fuel in the tank.

Theres way more that I've done to the thing and may update the thread as I remember or as I take some photos of it but its great being able to get out in the bush again! (even if I am gentle because its hard to get parts for these now haha)

wjw
Hard Yaka

Re: Rangie 2-door redux

Postby wjw » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:48 pm

8) love those old rangies...
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:28 pm

looks good mate ..............................you with a light right boot ............... :D
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:11 am

yeti wrote:looks good mate ..............................you with a light right boot ............... :D

Haha its gotten a bit lighter to make the cheese inside the diffs last 8)

Took the old girl down to the farm in the weekend to do a bit of donkey work. Super handy for shifting things around with the winch and blowing up tyres with onboard air :mrgreen:

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:07 am

Well its had a bit of a miss on startup for the last few weeks that went away after a couple of minutes of driving. Assumed it was a leaky valve stem or injector or something. Wouldnt fire up #2 cylinder so replaced the plugs and same deal. Checked ignition parts and it was sparking at the plug so did a compression test on one bank.

#2 120psi
#4 150psi
#6 170psi
#8 175psi

Minimum is 150psi on these engines haha. Perhaps 5500rpm on that engine wasn't exactly what it needed :(

Want to get it back on the road for summer so just need to decide what to put in next

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:08 pm

5 litre V12 maybe
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:32 am

'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:14 am

Haha those are both rather expensive options! I have a good 3.9 in my 110 hicap I'm likely to pull out and put that in the rangie instead

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:56 am

turoa wrote:Haha those are both rather expensive options! I have a good 3.9 in my 110 hicap I'm likely to pull out and put that in the rangie instead

Have you done it yet? :P

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”