Hard Yaka

Re: "Lando" - C79's V8 Disco Build Thread

Postby noexitroad » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:55 pm

Sweet thanks, I will check him out when I come down that way for work

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:26 am

EDIT: Can someone please let me know whether the videos have embedded as they don't look to have worked from my computer... but then again nothing works on my computer so I'm really not sure!

Update #7

Figured its about time I do a write up on the Sheffield Mud Plug...

It was an early start, not helped by the Daylight Savings switch over the night before and the lack of sleep due to nerves!!!!
Made it up to Sheffield by 8:30 before airing down to 15psi and running through scrutineering...

Then we walked the tracks and picked out Stage 1 as the only one we wanted to skip as the water was quite deep... looking back I think it'd have been fine but that's hindsight for ya!

After the driver's briefing we started on Stage 7 (which ended up being one of the harder stages by the afternoon) but despite being one of the last to leave the pits (so I wouldn't be first through the stage) I ended up running Stage 7 first as the others starting on 7 all got lost! Not gonna lie... despite it just being a low-key, fun day, with it being my first comp. (and the first time driving in any real mud - I'm used to pea gravelly rivers), the nerves before the start were through the roof!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r05fiTE0po

I ended up crawling through the whole stage, basically ploughing out all the grass and scum that had gathered since the last event... but made it through for a zero!

Stage Eight was very easy and went just as well, was a simple climb up and back down, again with a zero, this time not resorting to the locker either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45fCoUIzcW0

Nine went terribly... managed to wedge myself into a gully that fitted the Landie's wheelbase perfectly... pushed in the fuel tank a touch too (now regret not throwing the skidplate off the other truck on now... hindsight again!)

Stage Ten was one I was rather nervous for... I remember watching vehicles drop over the edge in the past onto the front two wheels before burying themselves in the bog at the bottom... As I dropped over the edge, my cousin threw the locker in and we gave it full jandal... and made it through for a 10 (unfortunately knicked the peg up top)... but we made it through so I was stoked!!!!

The first round continued on and ended up surprising myself a couple times... gotta say, the front locker and locked rear really helped!!!! Drove a couple due to good lines and a couple due to coming to the course at the right time... ended up finishing round one with 640 points.... doing much better than I expected!!!!

Over lunch Dad cleared out the radiator of all the grass etc. that was caught up in it... before heading out for Round 2.

Round 2 didn't go quite as well, with the truck dying in the middle of stages when I let off the throttle too much... wet electrics :roll:

However the truck kept running enough that I didn't have to pull out and the problem cleared out by itself... so we continued on. With it being the second pass, the truck was struggling a lot more being on 32"s with ruts dug nice and deep by trucks on 35"-40"s!!!! Also forgot to throw the centre diff lock in ( :oops: ) for a few of the afternoon stages which I was very disappointed about when I realised... a couple stages I only just couldn't get though and I wonder whether I may have if I'd been locked in! Ended up on the rope a couple times and skipped 3 stages in the afternoon due to it being dug out to the point I was worried I'd get stuck in the deep water... not something I was keen on with the truck already cutting in and out on me!!!! Got some good drives in again with the lockers really doing their job on the vertical steps... really help pull ya through!

Givin' in heaps

Stage Four (one of my favourites)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfgIGZDkp9U

Stage Five before lunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdZyZflipdA

Had to be hauled outta Stage Five after the layout was changed over lunch

Stage Seven in the afternoon got me! (Note: Lost my headlight cover :evil: ... I guess I'll make another ahaha)

Then, Stage 10. The truck before me stuck it right on its nose and ended up having to be hauled out of the bog... nerves went up again! We lined up for the drop, hit the bottom, pinned it and managed to climb the far bank to avoid the nasty hole that had been dug out throughout the day. We just hung on to the edge of the bank and made it out for a zero... an improvement!!!! I was over the moon!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL6wn6f8lxM

After one more stage (DNF'd) we were finished for the day, and headed back to the pits. After handing in a less promising score card (1040 points) we loaded the truck and watched the last few trucks put on a show!!!!

Then came prize giving... and not expecting to place very high I had a quick look at the prize table but didn't think my chance of getting a good placing would be very high... especially after finding a DNS was worth 200 points, not the 100 I thought it was (hindsight again, woulda at least 'broken the beam' and called it quits half way through the run... would have saved me 400 points!).

Anyways the prize giving started... Truck class, Andrew Satherly placed first.. Steve Bruerton placed 5th...and then I got called 8th! I was so stoked! 8th in class and 15th overall (out of 41 entrants) with 1680 points.... Not bad for 32s and a 17 and 15 year old team if I don't say so myself!

Hindsight again tho... if I had started those 4 courses and saved me the 400 points I'd have come 6th in class and 10th overall... however I guess this doesn't count for much cause everyone has those "if only" moments and who knows... I coulda popped it on its lid or something... I'll never know!

What I do know now is that I am having a pretty strong debate in my head going... as to whether I really need to go 35"s. With smaller diff pumpkins, Lando on 33s will not be short changed too much against other trucks on 35"s for winch challenges and it is a whole lot simpler and cheaper, not to mention less stressful on the truck and the truck will be more stable.

So even tho I said 35"s were the plan... the verdict's now out. Yet again :lol:

Before I wrap this post up, a big thanks goes to Dad for all the effort he's put in on Lando helping me get it all ready for the comp. and for loaning me the locker... huge thank you Dad!!!! And other big thanks has to go to my cousin. Only 15, William jumped in with me in the truck and did a brilliant job, especially considering he's never been properly 4WDing before, so to have not said a thing as I threw Lando over some pretty hairy drops was very impressive, and he did a great job getting the rope on quickly when I ran outta talent... saved a lot of water from coming inside. What a baptism of fire! And it'd be safe to say that I may have found myself a navvy for next year too :D

So yea, thanks to them plus of course all my family and the people who organised and ran the Mud Plug itself.. was a great day out. Now I just have to wait for the Selwyn to go down a bit so I can wash the underneath of the truck off.

Until then,
Cheers guys

PS: Video does not do the exhaust note justice!!!!
Last edited by Crawlerer79 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 pm

looks like it was a good day, videos worked fine on youtube.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:42 pm

mudsurfv6 wrote:looks like it was a good day, videos worked fine on youtube.

Certainly was!!!!

Do you mean the embedded video doesn't work and you had to use the link? Thanks
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:02 pm

Crawlerer79 wrote:Do you mean the embedded video doesn't work and you had to use the link

presume the 'embedded videos' are supposed to be in the blank space above the youtube links, if so then nothing there. link to youtube works.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:27 pm

mudsurfv6 wrote:
Crawlerer79 wrote:Do you mean the embedded video doesn't work and you had to use the link

presume the 'embedded videos' are supposed to be in the blank space above the youtube links, if so then nothing there. link to youtube works.

Thanks that's what I needed to know... I'll see if I can sort it. Thanks :D

EDIT: Can't get these videos to embed... looks like all the ones which used to are no longer working either so have given up until something in the forum (I pressume) is fixed... :roll:
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi Tim
Videos worked fine for me off the posted links just now.

Mainland winch challenge is going back to 33's for clubman next year. Truck will sit more stable and your gearing will be better on 33 than 35.

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:38 pm

drive it ... wrote:Hi Tim
Videos worked fine for me off the posted links just now.

Sweet thanks Steve!

drive it ... wrote:Mainland winch challenge is going back to 33's for clubman next year. Truck will sit more stable and your gearing will be better on 33 than 35.

Right that's good to know although that's another spanner in the works!!!! Had almost settled on 35s again... I'm guessing that's to distinguish a difference between Clubman and Open????

I'm not worried about gearing as it'll be all regeared when I fit Air Lockers anyways but I like the idea of the added stability and especially that I won't have to put a whole heap of lift in to clear the big knobblies... plus will put less stress on the drivetrain. After seeing how well Tim L.s Rangie went on 35s and stock 24 spline axles over on the coast last year, I'm thinking maybe run stock axles and see how long they last... he didn't break any and he was driving pretty hard! Maybe upgrade to HD rears at some stage for when they get really loaded up when bouncing round climbing hills. Dad has some old early RRC CV's from a 10 spline which are meant to be the strongest CV Land Rover made until the Disco 2 axles, and I think Max Barnes sells front halfshafts to run those CV's on 24 spline diffs for around $300 (just going off what Dad told me!).

Might also have to sneak in a small amount more lift as the factory springs with 2" spacers only just give enough room for the 32s... literally about 5mm clearance at the rear doors. I think the springs are a bit saggy too!

If anyone has Simex/Silveys/GTRadial Komodos in a 33" on 15s I'd be interested to know... :D :lol:
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:36 pm

Update #8

Well guys, been a while since any updates, the blue Disco has been keeping me plenty busy! Either way, poor old Lando has been sitting for far too long, and went to fire it up to take it for a run to get everything moving again and sigh, another starter solenoid had rusted up :roll: ... after some fluffing around, we got the non rebuildable solenoid cut open, fixed and sealed back up... a lot cheaper than yet another new one!

Have set about stripping out the cage, which is now out of the 3 door, although worryingly had to pull out the windscreen... hopefully we don't have to do that with the 5 door! (Unfortuantely, didn't take many photos)

A wee way into it

Cageless

All out and sitting in the back of Lando

Have really not had much time behind the wheel of it, although took it along on a trip after the Selwyn flooded (might have to do another with all this rain ahaha) and was the only one not to get stuck... guess I didn't try hard enough :lol:

Anyway, have decided that now is the time to get it back on the road. Poor old truck isn't enjoying just sitting... handbrake seized up and was a pig to break free! So the welded back diff is back out and the original open one has replaced it... for now :mrgreen: (Now is the time when I ask if anyone else is wanting to buy stuff from Ashcroft too... :twisted: )

It's not just a whole load of words though, I do have some progress to report, the big thing being these:

Nigel at B Spec Engineering set me up with some sill mounted rock sliders for the truck... Initially I planned to go chassis mount but the chassis rails on a Landie are a wee way in compared so we were worried about the amount of leverage on the mounts and wanting to keep weight down, lots of bracing wasn't really an option. Also with body mount, I don't need to worry about cert. The sills have been drilled out and strengthened with crush tubes and then the sliders bolt on. I also got them slightly too short at the back so that I can redo the back arches at some stage... the door arches need kicking forward a little so that I can clearance the arches to the max... a shame as the previous owner did such a nice job of doing it the first time! Anyway, the sliders look great although the weather isn't looking great for painting! Oh well haha. I'll get some more photos of them once there's more daylight and I can get it outta the shed.

Either way, here's a couple more photos for ya:

How many Discos does it take to get one home????

While I was at it, I got Nigel to weld on a 5mm diff guard from Gwyn Lewis (again I'll get better pics but you can kinda see it in this one)

How they mount

Also, the reason I need to push the arch forwards a bit :mrgreen: :twisted:

That's about it for this update, need to order some new springs and get this thing WOF ready, and then hopefully comp ready. Hope to make it along to the Westport Challenge. Speaking of that, I needa text Steve! Haha, too much to do, not enough time or money to do it. Well, I better get to it!
Cheers guys
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Update #9

Well guys, got another update for you all.

I need to paint up the sliders and sills (which I didn't do), but I pulled the sliders off. Figured I should get some better photos while I was at it

Also needed to mow the lawns, so instead I set about pulling the front bumper off the parts truck :twisted:

Then cut it down to the tray...

Still need to chop out a lot more but at least the wings are off. Looks like this started out life as a winch tray which different people have slowly added to over the years, is amazingly bodged so will cut most of it back. As you can see, it's a mess...

Also got the bash plate off, it's a nice ally 3-piece one that is nice and light... unlike the winch tray. Even after cutting the wings off it, it still feels way heavier than a rock slider...

I also had a look into how loud a vehicle can be to pass cert... the category Lando fits into can be up to 95db... so Dad got to test out his new phone which a noise metering app... not perfect but gives a rough idea. We measured out where it had to be and then ran up the truck to 3000rpm (what the test for an 8 cylinder engine specifies). Came in at 85db so well under, but still silly loud :twisted:

Figured I should get a couple clips for those who haven't heard Lando sing, however as usual, video doesn't do it justice haha. Here's what I got anyways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gP4Fu9pUnk

That's it for today anyways, we're entered for the Westport teams event so got a bit to do before then! Springs are on their way, so won't be long before a WOF now... Also if anyone wants to buy anything off the parts truck, flick me a PM, I have got everything off it I want now. Still have some rough chassis mount sliders available, a 2" bodylift kit, Mantec snorkel and general bits and bobs.

Cheers guys
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Update #10

About time for another update... I really do mean to post when I've actually done something, not two weeks later, but things get in the way!

Anyways, look what turned up on my doorstep... :twisted:

Goodbye saggy OEM springs with budget spacers! I ended up buying some King Springs in from Aussie, was only $430 shipped! They are KRRR04-HD rear springs (same as in the blue Disco) and KRFR-03 springs up front (same as whats in the blue Disco but slightly stiffer for a winch + other goodies). They are a proper 2" lift, and despite being the heaviest duty spring King makes for Discos, they are still supple enough for good flex while being able to carry a good amount of weight. I didn't intend on going King springs however after having them in the blue truck, I figured why go for something different when these are already proven to me and suit my set up/driving style.

We cracked into fitting them and in the rear, stuck these in too...

I pulled these manky old dislocation cones out of the spares truck and fitted them "cause why not", and will probably fit the top shock mount drop plates at a later date, so that I can really make use of the cones.

Then for the fronts

Other than that, I have been just prepping the truck for a WOF in general. I re-trimmed the sound deadener in the truck to be a bit more tidy...

And also replaced the broken headlights, cracked headlight surrounds and polished up the grille before fitting it all up.

Unfortunately the new indicators are a very yellowy orange rather than the last ones being much redder, so will look into sorting that when things are less busy.

I did promise a better photo of the Gwyn Lewis weld on diff guard (great product btw)

And with some paint...

I have also got paint on the rock sliders now but no photos yet :roll:

Now, you may be wondering why my truck hasn't got a winch or a rear locker when I'm entered for Westport, however let's say I've not been winning! 24 hours before the money from selling the Zook (yes it's gone :| ), Ashcroft sold out of Ashlockers... sigh. So I will be putting an order in with them in about a month once they have got some more in stock. For the meantime, I will be sticking Dad's other KAM E-Locker in the back this time, and 'borrowing' it, until the Ashcroft gear arrives. And then the winch... I planned on getting the Runva EVO comp winch, however again, they had just sold out! MCC4X4 have been great help sorting me out, however not quite come to a decision yet. I will have a winch very soon tho! So that's about everything updated, now to got fit those rock sliders!

Cheers guys
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:52 pm

Update #11

I've done it again, completely left the thread behind! At least it means I'm making progress tho!

Got some paint and tape on the sliders

And then mounted them onto the truck with plenty of fisholene on the sills where the sandwich plates bolt on

Then laid some griptape in the footwells (I do not recommend! Way too hard to get it around all the contours without looking wrinkly!) Helped tidy it up tho!

Then I took it for a trip down the Selwyn River, just to check everything over... Didn't go well :roll:
Ended up getting very very hot, had to stop into the wind with the bonnet up to let it cool down... either the rad is so blocked that the viscous fan was not getting hot enough to turn on, or the viscous unit had died. Sigh. Managed to get the truck through a super soft bog before it got hot tho!

Once we got back home, we bolted the fan so it is now on permanently and intend to get the radiator cleaned out soon too... Now for a WOF!

It failed. :roll:

Apparently it was too loud... I find it a bit hard to believe considering it only came in at 85dB when the legal limit is 95dB for my year truck but nothing I could do about it. I called Ian Smith to get it booked in for exhaust noise test and cert. but he couldn't do it til the 9th! And the comp starts on the 13th! So I took it round to Uniweld and sussed out a new rear muffler... has a flange just after the loop over the axle so I can bolt on either the muffler...

...or the party pipe :twisted:

Also got it coming out of the side of the rear quarter panel... I'm a mega not-fan of this but I plan to do a guard chop in the near future so would be silly to have it come out where it was before, only to have to get it cut, rotated and re-welded. So for the time being I have this... :roll:

Today's job was replacing a wheel bearing and seal (which turned into replacing the whole hub :lol: ) and fitting Dad's other E-Locker into the back until Ashcroft have their lockers back in stock... With all these diff changes I must honestly be keeping the oil industry alive (and the fact I drive a V8! :lol: )

All the wiring is run so just need to finish it off tomorrow and I'll be properly twin locked... no more welded diffs! Forgot to mention, but I also got the interior looking a bit more civilised!

Just waiting on a few goodies (one is particularly important for a winch challenge)... That reminds me, I needa sort a winch tray!Anyways guys, that's all from me for now, will have done more tomorrow so expect an update in the next few months... Whoops.
Cheers
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:06 pm

Awesome updates, those sliders are the shizz.
How are your head gaskets looking after it got hot? We've found loss of combustion gasses at mounting surface... no coolant consumption due to the water gallery design, but one of the gaskets had failed! Though this was on a linered 4.0 motor from the late 90s when they were knowingly using dud blocks from the factory... I guess a leakdown test would be good peace of mind. I would love to find a non linered early 3.5 block from the Buick days or very early Range Rover etc.

Also what are your thoughts on the dislocation cones? 2 schools of thought on these... a) massive wheel travel and wow factor, or b) creates unbalanced front\rear travel, and pushes bushings etc beyond their intended range of misalignment...

The engineering perspective would probably suggest that if the springs are dislocating themselves, the system is not setup correctly. They do seem like a popular mod i the UK though....

Keep up the good work
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:49 am

lax2wlg wrote:Awesome updates, those sliders are the shizz.
How are your head gaskets looking after it got hot? We've found loss of combustion gasses at mounting surface... no coolant consumption due to the water gallery design, but one of the gaskets had failed! Though this was on a linered 4.0 motor from the late 90s when they were knowingly using dud blocks from the factory... I guess a leakdown test would be good peace of mind. I would love to find a non linered early 3.5 block from the Buick days or very early Range Rover etc.

Also what are your thoughts on the dislocation cones? 2 schools of thought on these... a) massive wheel travel and wow factor, or b) creates unbalanced front\rear travel, and pushes bushings etc beyond their intended range of misalignment...

The engineering perspective would probably suggest that if the springs are dislocating themselves, the system is not setup correctly. They do seem like a popular mod i the UK though....

Keep up the good work

The truck did not overheat, but yes I am planing on doing a leakdown test. Just need to grab the kit from work.

As for the cones, I am yet to feel any difference and probably won't until I throw the shorter shock shock mounts in. Have only taken it for the one drive in the Selwyn and that as you know was a bit of a fail! I threw them in because I had them sitting there, and could save me some problems if the new spring where to jump out of its seat, especially considering this is a completely new spring set up in the truck and I don't know if it will want to dislocate or not. My guess is it shouldn't as the shocks are plus 2" and so are the springs, but when you sit the springs next to each other (OEM and the King Springs), there is only an inch at the most height difference in the back, as they are heavier duty which is where the other inch of lift would come from. So in theory, that would mean that the soring could dislocate one inch... however if it will I have no idea! I'll sure test it when I have some spare time (and when the trucks running :roll: ). I am not too worried about the bushings as if everything goes to plan, I will probably be changing the A-Frame mount out to a wide angle one when I next do an order with Gwyn Lewis, and I am still deciding which trailing arms I will throw in... looking at Johnny jointed ones :twisted:

And thanks, the sliders are awesome :D
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:19 pm

Update #12

Unfortunately you guys going to Westport won't be seeing me.. have had to bail on it. Ended up killing the auto tranny last Thursday, while driving it round to B-Spec to get the winch bar made. Clutch pack is gone so I guess I'll be doing my first gearbox change... :evil:

Gutted for the comp tho :cry:
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am

Bugger! Truck was looking good too.

If you've got a hoist & a transmission jack gearbox swaps are easy :D

If not I would recommend doing what I did last time I had the box out, bodge up a bit of a cradle that attaches to the trolley jack, bolts on to the gearbox mount at one end, with a scissor jack between the other end of the cradle & the gearbox so you can adjust the tilt. The tricky bit is guessing the balance point where you need to attach the cradle to the trolley jack. It only me took a few minutes to weld some bits of angle iron together & drill a few holes to make that cradle, but it made the job massively easier & safer.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Clint wrote:Bugger! Truck was looking good too.

If you've got a hoist & a transmission jack gearbox swaps are easy :D

If not I would recommend doing what I did last time I had the box out, bodge up a bit of a cradle that attaches to the trolley jack, bolts on to the gearbox mount at one end, with a scissor jack between the other end of the cradle & the gearbox so you can adjust the tilt. The tricky bit is guessing the balance point where you need to attach the cradle to the trolley jack. It only me took a few minutes to weld some bits of angle iron together & drill a few holes to make that cradle, but it made the job massively easier & safer.

Cheers
Clint

Yep! Big disappointment... plus feel I really let the team down :oops:

I've been offered the use of a hoist which I'm very thankful for! Just finding a new box now and hopefully will have it running for a Coast trip coming up next month...

Thanks for the tips!
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Tips for getting the bellhousing bolts out...

Remove the engine mounts so the engine drops a couple of inches to give a bit more room.
Fully remove the front driveshaft.
Bellhousing bolts are 9/16in. 14mm socket may do at a pinch but will be tight. Most bolts are easiest to get at with a universal joint on the socket and a couple of long extensions to swing the ratchet further back from underneath. Top two bolts easiest with a ring spanner from the engine bay.

When you get the replacement gearbox, make sure you get the torque converter, flex plate, and flywheel with it - some are different and not necessarily interchangeable

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:31 pm

muddy wrote:Tips for getting the bellhousing bolts out...

Remove the engine mounts so the engine drops a couple of inches to give a bit more room.
Fully remove the front driveshaft.
Bellhousing bolts are 9/16in. 14mm socket may do at a pinch but will be tight. Most bolts are easiest to get at with a universal joint on the socket and a couple of long extensions to swing the ratchet further back from underneath. Top two bolts easiest with a ring spanner from the engine bay.

When you get the replacement gearbox, make sure you get the torque converter, flex plate, and flywheel with it - some are different and not necessarily interchangeable

Sweet! Thank you very much!
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Update #12: A Six Month Catch Up

Remember this build???? If not, I don't blame you, I've been very slack with the updates! It's not that I haven't wanted to, but that I've been so unsure about the trucks future, that I felt whatever I'd write one day, would change the next.

So, catch up time.

Crawlerer79 wrote:Update #12

Unfortunately you guys going to Westport won't be seeing me.. have had to bail on it. Ended up killing the auto tranny last Thursday, while driving it round to B-Spec to get the winch bar made. Clutch pack is gone so I guess I'll be doing my first gearbox change... :evil:

Gutted for the comp tho :cry:

This is where I left the thread, having fried the auto box in Lando. At this stage I was completely sick of the truck, and all the money it was costing me. Having dumped way too much money into a truck for a school kid, I was basically broke and very disheartened. I wanted to sell the truck and buy a diesel.... however I only followed through on part 2! So no, Lando is not for sale, no I've not sold it, and yes the new diesel is awesome!

Unfortunately I have no photos of the 'box swap as it's been so long since I've updated this thread, we have a new computer and all the photos are buried somewhere on the old one. Maybe one day I'll find them and stick them up.... :lol: (yeah nah...)

Either way, huge thanks to a great handful of people who helped get Lando's 'box swapped out. First off I need to say a huge thanks to Steve for the use of a hoist, I cannot imagine how much harder it'd have been if you hadn't hooked me up, so thank you! Not only that, but he helped out whenever a third set of hands was needed and stayed back with us well into the evening to get the truck finished off. Mega thanks! Also a big thanks to Matt, for daring to touch the old Landie... yes, he gave more than just a helping hand too, so thanks. Another thanks has to go to Tim, for hooking me up with an absolute minter of a replacement tranny for next to nothing, so appreciate it! And lastly and most of all to Dad, for the huge amounts of work he put it on the truck. I'm sure he put far more time in than all of us did, combined. He sorted everything out from start to finish, and was even wrenching on the truck for the last few hours of work in the shed, by himself, while I was at work. Thanks Dad!!!!

Now, moving on....

Now that Lando had a good gearbox again, I started getting a bit of use from it, "just getting the final few drives in before selling it." No surprise here, but those plans would always fade, until I fuelled up again :roll:

I've had some use outta Lando recently, here's a few photos from when I did a solo run up Old Le Bons track in the sleet

Also been up the Selwyn a couple times

The overheating issue has been solved for the time being, by fitting the locked fan, and although it sounds like an air conditioner, it's working, so it'll stay until I can stump up the cash for a new rad and some electric fans.

Then I decided to go and have a look at the tracks around the Rakaia river, I've often looked at them as we've torn past at 100, but never really had a nosey. So Dad and I jumped in the trucks and headed out.... we made it to Rolleston before this happened....

Whoops.

The front right wheelbearing blew at about 60... very glad I was slowing down for the roadworks because even at 60, it pulled me into the other lane, despite me fighting it. A few seconds before, I'd been bombing along a 100... :shock: . By the time I'd limped through the roadworks and pulled off, the CV had been nicely turned down and sheared off. I limped home at 20, and checked out the damage.

Sigh.

The stub axle, brake rotor, CV and obviously the wheelbearing was destroyed. The caliper and swivel housing had been 'lightly shaved', which looked terrible but after inspection is still plenty strong enough. The drive flange I will replace as well, as it got ridiculously hot, and is probably best kept as just a 'worst case' spare.

Now, I must say, I am slightly to blame for it.... :oops:

Both chrome ball seals have needed replacing for quite some time, and I have just been to just doing other small jobs (such as changing gearboxes) to have dealt with it.

Dad also wanted his lockers back (fair enough), so the front casing got completely stripped out and changed out the diff pan. You may be wondering why, when I very recently just got a diff guard stuck on. Well, that was a bit of a gap filler for a years until I had the casing out... turns out it's coming out a bit sooner! As I need a guard for TD5, I figured why not do it right. So the old guard got chopped off, pan chopped out and a new 5mmm pan, courtesy of Gwyn Lewis, welded in.

The truck is now all back together with some new performance brake pads, and ready to go for a WOF shortly!

Anyways guys, that's about it for this one, I'm so glad to say that I'm keeping it. I never used to understand the whole "Love, Hate relationship" thing until earlier this year... I'm back to loving it, and hopefully for a long time to come.
Cheers guys
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

1bad4x
Hard Yaka

Postby 1bad4x » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:48 pm

there is just something about Landys, I still miss mine, but then remember the fuel bills.... V8
However the good old saying "better the devil you know" can be soo true, you know what has been done, whats weak, & what needs doing.. well mostly, unlike the new buy,,, what has/has not been done. & how many corners where cut...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:09 pm

1bad4x wrote:there is just something about Landys, I still miss mine, but then remember the fuel bills.... V8
However the good old saying "better the devil you know" can be soo true, you know what has been done, whats weak, & what needs doing.. well mostly, unlike the new buy,,, what has/has not been done. & how many corners where cut...

Too true, at the end of the day, I know the truck inside out, not much I haven't touched now. Plus I know the last 2 owners... not to mention, I love the truck to bits ahaha :lol: The fuel bills suck but with fuel going down, a NPD being put in close to work and now having a diesel that can be used for the further away trips, it just is my ideal truck.
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:44 pm

Guys, I'll have an update on the truck shortly, been using it heaps!! For the meantime, feel free to have a nosey at this full length edit I've done. Took about 10 hours to edit so I'd sure appreciate it (extra appreciation for a like ahah).
Thanks guys :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlZf7m5nB7U
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Hey so it's been years since I've been on here. So the story behind the 3 door one. Sold it after a relationship break up as I had know where to store it.
Sold it to a father n son from the UK that were living here spun a big story about how they were gonna do it up and use it for hunting trips.
It got stripped out and fucked with for no real reason and it had some awesome gear on it. I kept the alloy traction aids and a box of bits when I sold it.
I wanted to buy it back if they were gonna sell it but that never happened, then got wind of it back up for sale but sitting in a shed.
Went and checked it out but she was in such a sorry state that I couldn't bring myself to buy it back. Gauges were ripped out, all the camping set up gone, it was just really fucked tbh.
Least someone has managed to save it still pretty gutted I sold it but you live n learn.

Rich
BJ70 13bt creepys,beadlocks n not a straight panel

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:28 pm

muddyplumber wrote:Hey so it's been years since I've been on here. So the story behind the 3 door one. Sold it after a relationship break up as I had know where to store it.
Sold it to a father n son from the UK that were living here spun a big story about how they were gonna do it up and use it for hunting trips.
It got stripped out and fucked with for no real reason and it had some awesome gear on it. I kept the alloy traction aids and a box of bits when I sold it.
I wanted to buy it back if they were gonna sell it but that never happened, then got wind of it back up for sale but sitting in a shed.
Went and checked it out but she was in such a sorry state that I couldn't bring myself to buy it back. Gauges were ripped out, all the camping set up gone, it was just really fucked tbh.
Least someone has managed to save it still pretty gutted I sold it but you live n learn.

Rich

Thanks for that, man, it's fair been passed around! I remember it being for sale when you had it and I was amazed how well set it was, I actually was in contact with you regarding buying it but I couldn't bring myself to sell Lando to afford it (I was 15 at the time haha). When I saw it for sale for parts I too was gutted at how trashed it was, because I'd always hoped it'd come up for sale again. Obviously I bought it, but man, what a shame it had to be only for parts. However, I do have big plans for it. The chassis it gone, but the body is saveable. I have a Disco 1 V8 which the body is rusted out, so will plan on a body swap, which will at least get it driving again. I have big plans which I'd love for Lando but will only work on a 3 door, so yea, keep an eye out for the build thread coming out. I'm heading overseas for a handful of months but once I'm back and got a bit of coin saved up, the build will begin :mrgreen:
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 pm

The motor went to a good home , and has put the right LR heart back into my 110 . Really nice engine it purrs like only a Tdi can
LR110 ..... LJ50 project :roll:
Chris.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”