80 Series front swivel hub rebuild

Diorama
Hard Yaka

80 Series front swivel hub rebuild

Postby Diorama » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Hoping someone will have the knowledge or experienced this before. I am rebuilding my front swivel hub as the inner oil seal has failed. I have ordered a kit from online auto parts to rebuild both sides. The only thing I can see that is potentially a problem is that the kit contains a needle roller and thrust washer to go into the spindle. My cruiser does not have this. It has a brass bush that presses into the spindle. The kit says it fits my cruiser (1990 HDJ81V) but talking to toyota they seem to think that the cruiser never changed to the needle rollers to about 1998. I guess what I need to know is that because its an after market kit and maybe the needle roller will fit anyay that all the kits just contain the needle roller. Any knowledge would be much appreciated.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Re: 80 Series front swivel hub rebuild

Postby wjw » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Mine a 91 HDJ80 didnt have needle bearings.... just the bronze bushings.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:18 pm

The needle roller set up was supplied at first as aftermarket replacements. Best of my knowledge was it fitted into a new spindle hub assembly that was made to house the bearings.
Unless the rollers come with some kind of housing set up i would guess that i will not fit into a std cruiser.

That said ive been wrong before.....

Let me know of your progress as looking at doing a rebuild on my vx over the xmas period and rollers would definitly be the go if possible

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:05 pm

I would have thought that if they supply a kit to fit my model cruiser then all the bits supplied should go straight in. If it requires a different (ie after market) spindle then that should be supplied in the kit or at the very least stated that an after market spindle needs to be purchased in order to use the needle roller bearings instead of the original bush. Time will tell I guess.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Diorama wrote:I would have thought that if they supply a kit to fit my model cruiser then all the bits supplied should go straight in. If it requires a different (ie after market) spindle then that should be supplied in the kit or at the very least stated that an after market spindle needs to be purchased in order to use the needle roller bearings instead of the original bush. Time will tell I guess.

dunno about the kit side of it but ive never heard of a vx80 that come out std with a roller bearing set up

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:39 am

According to Toyota around 98 they changed to the roller bearing and thrust washer. They emailed me the parts drawings for both types.

Kit arrived from online auto parts. The kit was the same brand as from BNT. All Koyo bearings. It cost me an extra $10 than from BNT freight included. The upside is that the set I got included the spindel needle rollers and thrust washer that supposedly was a direct replacement for my spindel bushes. And yes they are. They went straight in with no modifications. So I saved $400 by not having to purchase 2 new spindel bushes.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Awesome can you post the link with part numbers.
Cheers

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm a bit confused, you mean $400 for these?

That's way off.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:06 am

Yep those. Toyota told me they were $200 each. I don't know if that was a mistake or not but I agree dosen't seem right. At least the kit I got came with needle rollers and thrust washer. Went straight in no mods needed so I'm happy. If toyota had quoted me $50 each I probably would have got them and the kit from BNT. The kit I got had the wheel bearings as well and I don't think the one from BNT did.

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:25 am

https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/prod ... /ZPN-01925

Link to the kit I got. Have got parts from them before and have always been pleased with service and quality.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Cheers dude 8)

Diorama wrote:https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/products/Swivel-Hub-%2B-Wheel-Bearing-Repair-Kit-Swivel-Hub-Kit-Aftermarket-OEM-Replacement/ZPN-01925

Link to the kit I got. Have got parts from them before and have always been pleased with service and quality.

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:25 pm

sarmajor
Driver/Navigator

Postby sarmajor » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:57 pm

Don’t forget that the bronze spindle bush for the 80 is a real beast compared to the one for the 60 & 70 series front spindles.
Toyota increased the size of the bush because the 80 series is full time 4WD. I agree that $200 is a bit steep but they appear to be the only source for suitable bushes. All of the other ones i have seen offered for the 80 eventually end up being the smaller 60 & 70 units.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:34 am

Aha an old topic but a goodie.

Don kyatts in manukau do a complete spindle kit like above.
Forgot how much i paid but Jimmy in there have always done me a good deal. Plus any issues and he solves it quick fast.
The cv knocking has reduced lots. They are still worn but now that the cvs are held center i only get knocking on hard lock.

Ps ive also fitted f.w.hubs as this allows low box crawl on hard surfaces

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Yeah i got my spindles and and roller bearing off Don kyatt when my 80 diff was done
After 2 years+ doing the hard yards locked,actually surprised front diff hasnt exploded yet!think auto has helps cause makes power smooth to diffs
Im starting to get the rhs cv floating and making the off acceleration rumble which is pretty good going considering
Was just reading topic and i thought toyota stop selling 80 series in 1997 in nz yet they say 1998 had roller bearings?lol
Mine a jap import 97 and had brass bushes.

Return to “Toyota”