TD5 in a D1.... Where to buy parts?

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

TD5 in a D1.... Where to buy parts?

Postby Crawlerer79 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:21 pm

As much as I love the V8s, the $150 every time I have to refuel (which is quite regularly) is getting to me a bit (a lot), so am toying with the idea of sticking a TD5 in instead... Shouldn't be difficult (as far as engine swaps go) mechanically wise, as the 3.9 V8s come in D2s and D1s, so sticking a TD5 outta a D2 in a D1 shouldn't be too hard.... what does worry me is the electrics. The D2s have a whole bunch of extra electrics which would become a nightmare, so figured use a Defender TD5 ECU and wiring loom... should be a bit easier. The biggest problem I have in my head right now is where would I go to buy all the bits??? TD5 engines aren't the most common... the loom and ECU can be bought on eBay but getting the motor and gearbox would be the problem. Just a very far fetched idea I'm playing with, the obvious thing to do would be buy a base spec TD5 D2, but I really don't want to part with Lando, especially after all the mods I've now done! General thoughts or help guys? Cheers
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

turoa
Pyro Junior

Re: TD5 in a D1.... Where to buy parts?

Postby turoa » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Im not trying to throw water on your fire, but dont waste your time with a td5. It has been done but they are rather problematic engines which would need a lot of work to fit for rather mediocre results. If you're going to spend the time/money swapping go for a BMW m57 diesel engine. Heaps of power standard and come alive with a tune. Reasonably easy swap too as it is well documented due to it being a massively common swap in the UK. Can be bolted to land rover gearboxes with standard landy parts

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:43 pm

turoa wrote:Im not trying to throw water on your fire, but dont waste your time with a td5. It has been done but they are rather problematic engines which would need a lot of work to fit for rather mediocre results. If you're going to spend the time/money swapping go for a BMW m57 diesel engine. Heaps of power standard and come alive with a tune. Reasonably easy swap too as it is well documented due to it being a massively common swap in the UK. Can be bolted to land rover gearboxes with standard landy parts

Nah thanks for that, looks an interesting swap. Will have a good read into it at some stage... had a quick look now and seems most people run manual boxes, where personally I'd prefer the auto. Don't suppose you'd have much idea on what box you'd run with it?

Still interested to know where I would even begin to look for TD5 bits and bobs though, any ideas anyone???? A few guys have them in our club and I've been very impressed
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:23 pm

Crawlerer79 wrote:
turoa wrote:Im not trying to throw water on your fire, but dont waste your time with a td5. It has been done but they are rather problematic engines which would need a lot of work to fit for rather mediocre results. If you're going to spend the time/money swapping go for a BMW m57 diesel engine. Heaps of power standard and come alive with a tune. Reasonably easy swap too as it is well documented due to it being a massively common swap in the UK. Can be bolted to land rover gearboxes with standard landy parts

Nah thanks for that, looks an interesting swap. Will have a good read into it at some stage... had a quick look now and seems most people run manual boxes, where personally I'd prefer the auto. Don't suppose you'd have much idea on what box you'd run with it?

Still interested to know where I would even begin to look for TD5 bits and bobs though, any ideas anyone???? A few guys have them in our club and I've been very impressed

Yep standard landy auto's can be used as Bmw's also use a ZF box. I have a diesel p38 bellhousing and associated bits which I would part with which bolts the motor up to a d1 auto if you look to go down that path.

In terms of td5 bits, easiest and likely cheapest way will be to find a complete d2 and part out what you dont need. They come up on turners damaged auctions often enough

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:40 pm

turoa wrote:
Crawlerer79 wrote:

Yep standard landy auto's can be used as Bmw's also use a ZF box. I have a diesel p38 bellhousing and associated bits which I would part with which bolts the motor up to a d1 auto if you look to go down that path.

In terms of td5 bits, easiest and likely cheapest way will be to find a complete d2 and part out what you dont need. They come up on turners damaged auctions often enough

Thanks turoa, M57 sounds interesting... all very much wishes rn but will wait and see... with the M57, I assume you'd use a ZF out of a diesel because shift points and kickdown would be wrong from a V8???

And I'll keep an eye out!
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Timmy511
Hard Yaka

Postby Timmy511 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Just read all that,

Td5 are possibly the best diesel land rover ever made. They are very reliable when looked after, they need regular oil changes and air filters, they don't like being miss treat. If there is anything wrong with it, fix it, it won't like it. I've got one I drive daily and tow with, it's got 360k on the clock, the worst job I've had to do to it in 4 years was the cam chain guide and tensioner. A whole day of faffing. Apart from that, runs like a dream.

They can easily be mapped to 180 bhp with the only mechanical mods of an egr delete kit and a centre box removal. If you want to get the most out of it, you need a big intercooler and a 3bar map sensor and you can take them up to around 250bhp. If you want more info look up storm tuning on Facebook, Dan will tell you everything you need to know!

My best advice is buy a disco wreck and a defender engine loom, get storm tuning to do an ecu that's mapped and has the immobilizer removed to make it stand along from the bcu.......

quattro
Bush Crasher

Postby quattro » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:53 am

Why not use a 300tdi? Simple as, no electrnoics and cheap. Compound turbo will have it making decent power, just need to keep the r380 together

or do what i am and fit an Isuzu 4bd1t and msa gearbox
Discovery 4bd1t project

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 pm

quattro wrote:Why not use a 300tdi? Simple as, no electrnoics and cheap. Compound turbo will have it making decent power, just need to keep the r380 together

or do what i am and fit an Isuzu 4bd1t and msa gearbox

I did think of a 300... Dad has one. The TD5 was just an idea... although a D2 is more likely on the cards now... Alive Tuning Stage 4 tune should get 200hp+ with supporting mods. All dreams now, needa fix the 'box in Lando first :roll:
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”