QD32 possible to do bearings without removing motor?

Moderator: Mark

altair
Driver/Navigator

QD32 possible to do bearings without removing motor?

Postby altair » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:57 pm

My QD32 takes a good 5 seconds for the oil light to go out after standing overnight, and if left for an hour or so between starts, takes a couple of seconds.
Changed oil and used a genuine Nissan filter, 15W40 oil. No better.
Clock says 230,00kms but it an import Regulus.

Can bottom end bearings be changed with motor in place? i.e drop the sump?
Otherwise it runs really well.

Cheers

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Re: QD32 possible to do bearings without removing motor?

Postby DieselBoy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:24 am

What grade oil are you running??

The reason it's quick when warm is that oil is thin so it's easy to pump around and up to pressure. Normally bottom end wear shows itself as low oil pressure in hot idle, as in the oil pressure lights comes on or flickers.

Diesels suffer from oil thickening due to the soot particles produced during the combustion process, that's why they have such a short service interval.

With that in mind, depending on the service history of the motor (lots of sludge in there??) , the cold weather, and the incorrect grade of oil, and a bit of engine wear, it's probably not panic time.

I would fit a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see what it's doing at hot idle, do a engine flush, and run 10w40 so it's nice and thin on start up.

Otherwise it's engine out.......

IMG_6502.JPG
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

toyniz
Stropper

Postby toyniz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Sure it is not just the filter draining back? Have had this before even with a new filter. Check oil level a hour after running, then again the next day. If its higher that maybe the answer?

altair
Driver/Navigator

Postby altair » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Cheers, used a 15w40 diesel oil which is what this motor is supposed to run.
New genuine Nissan filter with anti drain back valve fited.
Might try a pack of 5w40 diesel oil and see if that help, Supersheep has them for about $70 at the mo.

No knocking on startup, but surely the oil light should go out within a second or so?
Cheers

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:55 pm

hey, for your reference, i checked my Mistral TD27 ETi for you (basically the same motor as your QD32) and it takes between 4 and 5 seconds for oil pressure light to go out from a cold start, and oil light goes out instantly if warm. I'd consider the motor to be in fairly good health. So unless there are other symptoms,I wouldn't panic yet.

altair
Driver/Navigator

Postby altair » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanks BlakeNZ,

yeah I have decided the motor is pretty healthy, because it runs like a dream.

Does not use a drop of oil or coolant, and once the motor and trans has warmed right up, its smooth and a lot more powerful than my Mistral was, its a great tow vehicle..poor thing has been a skidder today towing the heads away from 60 y.o Pines I'm felling.

Never had a towbar fitted until I bought it,(half the reason I did) and it has a factory trans cooler (small radiator) so at least I know it hasn't had the guts pulled out of it..trans fluid was pink and didn't smell burnt at all, I changed it all anyway.

I'm pretty fussy with maintenance so it will get an oil and filter every 5000kms and diesel filter every 10, so I'll relax and just use it!

Queried about going to a thinner oil for startup oil pressure, but will leave it at 15w40, the bearings I think prefer a heavier oil than say a 5 weight, so I'll leave well alone.

Cheers guy for all the advice given, appreciated. Its an older car but immaculate and I love it. Apart from RUC being a pain I'd rather drive it than the "family" Odyssey.

altair
Driver/Navigator

Postby altair » Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 am

Well, an update..
tried another genuine Nissan filter which Nissan guaranteed had an anti drain back valve, and now the oil light goes out from cold within 2 seconds....I'm bloody rapt!
Thanks for all replies guys, much appreciated.

Return to “Nissan”