North Range Road

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

North Range Road

Postby Rangerat » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:13 am

North Range Road

Public road located by the Tararua wind farm above Palmerston North. Accessible from either the south end (Pahiatua Track) or the north end (Centre road? over the single lane bridge, Woodville end of the Manawatu Gorge)

The main part of the road is gravel with a badly rutted section in the middle. This section has very deep ruts and deep water filled holes. (mostly clay surface)
When wet can be all but impassable.

Minimum of 2 well equiped trucks or 1 with a winch and ground anchor. (no winch points after the rutted section in the forest)
Note: poorly equipped trucks have been known to be trapped for days, no joke.

Watch out for stock and other users, leave all gates as found.

Truck damage common (guards, mirrors, sills etc.)

Tracks leading into the forest are private roads as is the forest itself. (some idiot has run over the gate below the rutted section in the forest)

Small play area next to the fire pond at start of forest (ditches, holes etc.)

The deep holes are fill of sediment that is murder on seals, diffs, radiators, alternators etc.. Check all holes as some concrete posts and bits of wood have been found in them lately.

I have been driving this road for years and always have fun. Just remember the road is public, everything else is not.

Rangerat.

Zukin
Hard Yaka

Postby Zukin » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:02 pm

Do they still close this track during winter or is that simply another 4wding myth :?

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangerat » Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:25 am

Zukin

No, the road is open all year round.

Doug

matwelli
Hard Yaka

Postby matwelli » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:59 pm

Hi Guys,

For a bit of perspective on the condition of the centre part of this track, when I was 7- 8 years old (24 years ago) traversing the North Range Road was a family outing that was done 3 or 4 times.

The vehicle of choice was an Austin A60, 1600cc, 2wd van, with the addition of some mud grip style rear tyres.

From what I have heard about the track these days, there is no way you would get thru with someting like this now.
Cheers,

Mathew - 021 441 043

Highway
Driver/Navigator

Postby Highway » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:05 pm

I have just been up there today. Not to drive North Range Road but rather to have a closer look at the new wind turbines going up there. Trust Power has in recent months started Phase III of the windfarm and widening more of the existing North Range Road and constructing new roads.

This roading work has seen more of North Range Road turned into a flat, well formed gravel road.

The parts of North Range Road that have been widened can be driven on. Where the new road deviates from North Range Road it is marked "Private Property" no public access. These parts are bypassed by staying on the 'old' North Range Road 4WD track.

I'd say a couple of kilometres of the old 4WD track has been upgraded to a well formed gravel road. This includes what I think is a portion that is on the edge of the Aokautere Forest.

I was alone so didn't push things, just crossed a couple of easy mudholes and headed back. Was a nice drive on a clear windless day.

There is a road sign a the top of Hall Block Road that I find very funny... in a time where everything is so Politcally Correct there is a very un-PC sign post warning of a "Lower Class of Road" ... oh well I think it's funny.

In response to another post on this thread, the road is closed during the winter months. Currently you really need to watchout for big trucks carrying pieces of wind turbine.

Highway
Driver/Navigator

Postby Highway » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:49 am

It was said to me recently that North Range Road was a 2wd road thanks to all of the wind farm work up there.

We went up yesterday (ANZAC Day) to check it out. Took my SWB Cruiser fitted with AT's and the wife drove the LWB Pajero Shiny fitted with HT's.

We drove from North to South (Manawatu Gorge to Pahiatua Track).

The drive up is easy but the road shows wear from the big trucks hauling up wind turbine parts.

The road at top is well formed and two-way past the wind farms for the most part.

It is reasonably well sign posted, telling drivers where they must leave the wind farm private roads and continue on the "old" North Range Road.

Once the wind farm is passed the road is still in reasonably good condition offering no more than a few ruts and puddles.

Hardest part of the drive was getting out of the vehicle to move a warning tape that the forestry contractors had placed across the track warning of tree felling.

It certainly isn't a 2wd track, But there is NOTHING that is difficult or even slight hard for a 4WD. The track was in very good condition with a few damp patches here and there, but very little mud other than a few puddles. I'd say the council has put a lot of work into it for Windfarm access.

It WILL deteriorate in bad weather of course.

Magnificent views and it is definitly still worth a drive.

Landynut
Hard Yaka

Re: North Range Road

Postby Landynut » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:25 am

can anyone reccommend anywhere in the tararua/manawatu thats a wee bit of a challenge? I think takapari road is one but not sure as to its open-ness (may need to contact doc?) Any other spots that people know of for a good "bush-bash" ?
Landrover 4 Life - Best 4x4xfar

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:34 am

Landynut wrote:can anyone reccommend anywhere in the tararua/manawatu thats a wee bit of a challenge? I think takapari road is one but not sure as to its open-ness (may need to contact doc?) Any other spots that people know of for a good "bush-bash" ?

Takapiri road is open and available

and DOC actually want us to use it

latest NZ4WD magazine has an article I think
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

chevrolux
Hard Yaka

Postby chevrolux » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Just went for a quick skid up there today. Nice and dry. And the lil "detours" are always good fun.

vinceandrobyn
Driver/Navigator

Postby vinceandrobyn » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:52 pm

skid wrote:
Landynut wrote:can anyone reccommend anywhere in the tararua/manawatu thats a wee bit of a challenge? I think takapari road is one but not sure as to its open-ness (may need to contact doc?) Any other spots that people know of for a good "bush-bash" ?

Takapiri road is open and available

and DOC actually want us to use it

latest NZ4WD magazine has an article I think

Have been up and down Takapari a bit lately trying to suss out some hunting spots. Easy drive up to the A frame Hut. The huts in pretty bad shape, no water supply. Track from the hut becomes a little more challenging, but not hardcore ends in some bogs.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:01 pm

did North Range road last week. Was pretty dry up there compared to normal, despite rain the previous day. We did a few options that I avoided when it was real wet. I was last in there in Sept 2016. Since then, the year of wet weather combined with a keen group of wheelspinning mud loving younger fellas has combined to cause the track to cut in places, and there is a few places where we got wheels way into the air. But traction was great, neither of us got stuck or even close to stuck. Many of the obstacles we just carefully "walked" up, whereas last year some of the climbs involved wheels spinning most of the way up.
Video is here, currently in a drop box. Both the Jeep and the Nissan are on 31" tyres, so sometimes have to skirt the deeper ruts. The Mistral has a rear sway bar disconnect, and the front E-locker was not engaged on this trip.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9hf38sps08mk ... K_Yoa?dl=0

basics
Hard Yaka

Postby basics » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:50 pm

good update, I'm thinking of going over this track in the near future to show wife and kids, looks suitable for my shiney :lol:
99 pajero exceed 3.2

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:26 pm

flick me a message if you wish to have a companion vehicle.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:09 pm

Pretoria road 4x4 park. Contact Levin 4wd club
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

basics
Hard Yaka

Postby basics » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:16 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:flick me a message if you wish to have a companion vehicle.

cheers, will do
99 pajero exceed 3.2

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:48 pm

Some mates went through North Range Road on the weekend. It is usually ok for shiny trips, but had heard it had cut up somewhat over winter, and this has proved correct. A couple of holes had become a bit gnarly, a pajero with stock tyre size got bellied in the ruts. I would advise not going in alone, take a companion truck to be safe, though much of the track is still good. Choose a fine day as the views are spectacular. BTW A land Rover Discovery blew its rear diff.

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”