2001 Pajero SWB with V8 Lexus

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

2001 Pajero SWB with V8 Lexus

Postby pjjimbo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:25 pm

Hi guys have just started buying bits for a build up on my 2001 Pajero SWB (NM)
History - the Pajero is a DiD 4m41 NZ New Exceed model, 3.2 diesel tiptronic auto and short wheel base. The past owner acquired it after it blew the head and wrecked the engine. He had planned to put a new diesel in it but lost interest, so I picked it up. I discovered that the 4m41's go for quite big money and they often have fuel pump issues, so my friend an engineer floated that we throw a Lexus V8 1UZFE up it and see how we get on. I have had a 1UZ Hilux ute before so am familiar with these awesome engines.

The first question was to go manual or auto - the V5A5 Jatco in it doesn't mate to a 1UZ very well im told (electronic issues) so I have opted to go manual and sell the autobox.
For this, I have sourced the following:
FS5R30A Nissan Terrano manual box from a V6
This is the only manual box I could find that:
Holds lots of torque and HP (they are the same as the GTR skyline and 300ZX twin turbo box)
Someone makes an adaptor for to a 1UZFE
Is readily available and cheap enough
Has no electric requirements for engaging 4WD and xfer box and so no wiring headaches for 4WD
Has passenger side xfercase drop to suit Pajero body

- Collins performance adaptor for Z32 300zx (VG30 engine) from USA
- Pajero NM manual pedalbox and brakepedal set from Aus
- 3SGTE Toyota turbo flywheel and HD pressureplate with Nissan clutch disc

Engine and ECU:
I need a Soarer rear sump 1UZFE as these are supposed to fit best. Front or mid sump fouls the diff.
ECU I will be going with a Megasquirt unit with MAP and a standard tune.

Attached is a pic of the Pajero as it sits. Most of the parts are on their way and I will add pics as I trial fit things and see how it all works out.

Cheers, James
Attachments
pajero.jpg

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Re: 2001 Pajero SWB with V8 Lexus

Postby Pj_Marsh » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Sounds cool bro good luck

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:49 pm

Gearbox has arrived, giving it a cleanup and hope the adaptor will arrive in the next week so I can dummy it up.
Its a big box!

Clutch and flywheel have arrived too - 3SGTE flywheel needs some small mods to work on 1UZ. Chamfer ringgear teeth to suit engine side engagement, slot flywheel holes out to accept 1uz crank holes, locate a spacer plate for back of flywheel.
I have also read the 3SGTE pressure plate is to skinny to get close enough to the thrust bearing for decent clutch action.
May have to source a hilux or surf p/plate as they are deeper and the spring fingers will sit closer to the bearing carrier.
Attachments
gbox.jpg

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Just buy a flywheel that suits. Few different vendors on trade me that sell them.

I used one from A1 turbos when I did my Soarer 1uz manual conversion. Use the ring gear off a flex plate and you are done.

Matt

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Small win - it seems the Pajero rear driveshaft takes the same input spline and size as the nissan trans im using. The pajero rear driveshaft is also made from carbon fibre, so would be a b**ch to weld :)

1UZ turned up today. It's got a custom sheetmetal reardrop sump on it that is looking like it suits my empyt engine bay just fine.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:07 pm

Carbon fibre driveshaft :shock:

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:07 pm

pjjimbo wrote:For this, I have sourced the following:
FS5R30A Nissan Terrano manual box from a V6
This is the only manual box I could find that:
[i]Holds lots of torque and HP (they are the same as the GTR skyline and 300ZX twin turbo box)
Someone makes an adaptor for to a 1UZFE
Is readily available and cheap enough
Has no electric requirements for engaging 4WD and xfer box and so no wiring headaches for 4WD
Has passenger side xfercase drop to suit Pajero body

Cool project, I hear that the Gen 2.5 Pajeros had the deepest wheel arches and can fit 37s with minor modification. Whether or not this would 'work' in the real world due to gearing etc is another story.

Yes they are a very robust transmission, sort of the Nissan equivalent of the Aisin R151 box that the Toyota guys all cream over.

They also put it in the RD28 Patrol. Some of us are drip feeding 4-cyl diesels to the same unit in sub 1900kg Nissans - a very understressed application.

One thing about this box - Nissan issued an official technical service bulletin around 92-93 regarding oil starvation - depending on the year of the donor vehicle, it may only take 3.6 litres of oil through the normal filler plug.

They actually require 5.1L of GL-4 (specifically). Surest way is to fill through the gearstick hole. I use 4x litres of synthetic GL4 and 1 litre of Moreys, and call it good. Very important that it receives the full 5 litres (pref 5.1) of the correct grade of oil.

I've talked to Drift guys who are routinely putting over 600hp through this transmission and not blowing it up.

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Haha yes true about the Toyota box and following,

That oil starve issue is I think the only reason this box had a bad wrap - filled up it is reputed to be very good.
So yes, i'll be filling it right up with the good oil.

Speaking of oil, here is the picture of my 1UZ sump and the drop to suit my chassis and subframe, and 1 of my engine ready for a good cleanup and some prep work before I dummy it up in the engine bay.
Attachments
1uz.jpg
sump.jpg

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:01 pm

I took a bit of a punt with one aspect here, that the Collins adaptor would fit the VG30 Transmission. It's designed for the VG30DETT in the Z32 300zx, and I had read online both for and against, that the DOHC VG30 and SOCH VG30 dont share bellhousing bolt patterns. My research suggested its worth a shot.
Well my adaptor arrived today and I trial fitted it up, and I can confirm that most of the bolt holes do infact line up for my VG30 pathfinder trans :P :shock: some are different around the start area, but I can get atleast 7 bolts in and tight which is heaps adequete - with room for a few more if I put some custom holes in myself.
So that's great news, otherwise it may have been a $700 mistake....

I dummy fitted the adaptor to the 1UZ and sat the flywheel on for a look.
Next job will be getting the engine and trans into the Pajero bay for a trial fit.
Attachments
adaprot_pajero_lexusv8.jpg

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:58 pm

A little bit quiet of late, but some progress made on the Flywheel and clutch setup.
These have been prepped and machined ready to use.

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Thu May 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Here is an update of the 1UZ sitting in the engine bay today.

The sump needs some further changes to fit perfectly, and we can start measuring up the engine mounts. Looks at this stage they are around 120mm off their mark so custom adaptor/mounts will do the trick as we thought.
Attachments
imagejpeg_2.jpg

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Tue May 27, 2014 1:24 pm

Here is some more pics showing the front engine clearance, the gearbox tunnel and gearbox being mounted with the original Pajero crossmember.

The shifter comes out a little further forward than I would like to drive with so going to make a custom shiter with a dogleg in it.

Driveshafts next week, more pics to follow!
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Tue May 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Great work. Looks like you have heaps of room to fit a big radiator and fan. What are you gong to run?

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Tue May 27, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks mate,

I think I will run the standard diesel radiator, looks very much up to the job compared with the hilux/surf ones the Toyota boys run on the 1UZ (with great results) so hope to combine that with a decent electric fan or two, as the 1UZ does not run a engine fan standard.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Tue May 27, 2014 11:20 pm

pjjimbo wrote:1UZ does not run a engine fan standard.

Actually they do( hydro fan and viscous fan) but in a different model Lexus which I think has been fazed out..? came out of the crown I think.. and from what's been on trademe they are hard to get a hold of.. Not sure the Paj radiator will hold up either but if you do use it and there is enough room USE the hydro fan setup which is far superior to the electric fan by a long shot.. Good luck with cooling with a electric fan..
I also was going to do a swap into a paj about 6-7 years ago but decided against it.. watching with interest :wink:

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Wed May 28, 2014 10:57 am

Some do, but the majority don't run the engine fans. I know my particular engine doesn't.

The reason I believe the diesel radiator will be fine, is that a guy in South Africa - much hotter climate, used the same setup and reported good results.
Also, my last 1UZ Hilux used a much smaller radiator and was fine, and it was a purpose built burnout ute....

I'm not sure if electric fans are much good for 4WD purposes/offroading - are they not recommended? I am open to ideas, but this truck isnt going to be a hardcore offroader, more just a toy for hunting/fishing/towing etc

Jay
Hard Yaka

Postby Jay » Wed May 28, 2014 11:01 am

I ran twin electric fans on my 1uz hilux with a decent size alli rad - never got hot.

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Wed May 28, 2014 5:17 pm

Someone might be able to help me out with diff ratios....:

- The Pajero has standard, diff ratios of 3.9 (source http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 2e53fc35c8)

- I think these will be too low for decent performance with the V8. The 4M41 in there factory, would max around 4200rpm. The V8 revs to 7000rpm.

- For decent performance, I think I will be wise to change the diffs to 4.3 from GDI Pajero of my shape. Does this sound like the right plan of attack?

Of course, this will hinge on how it first drives and what it feels like. I would like to see it sitting around 2300-2600rpm in 5th at 100km.
The other variable for me is the output of the Nissan 5speed...

Good times ahead, let me know if you have any thoughts or advice!

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:49 pm

You should also be able to use the 4.636 and 4.900 from the previous model too as the cw and p are the same.

No idea on how similar the gearbox ratios are but mine (manual) is around 2700-2800 at cruising with 4.9 diffs, I changed from 4.636 and it was about 200 rpm lower than now.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Thu May 29, 2014 12:13 am

Ok cool. Good info.
So do you think I could just swap the crown and pinion instead of changing the whole diff head?
That would be ideal as I can keep my rear locker...

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Thu May 29, 2014 7:27 pm

The soarers all ran a hydro fan and its very easy to adapt this setup and probably cheaper than a set of quality fans.

You can't have too much cooling. I don't know anyone that has had overcooling issues. My 4wd 1UZ Surf ran a 70 series radiator with AU Falcon fans and still got hot after doing long beach runs or based long uphill work.

Matt.

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Thu May 29, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks Matt, good to know.
The pajero bay is much roomier than ive seen with hiluxes so that will also improve cooling.

I think if I run an engine fan it might be difficult to also adapt an effective shroud to suit. Food for thought..

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Sat May 31, 2014 12:25 pm

Progress from the end of the week, front driveshaft modified and welded up for use.
Clearance of the log manifolds to the steering, contemplating a decent header setup but will see how the budget allows.
Engine mounts detail, being tacked in place ready for full weld up then powder coating for longevity.
Attachments
5.jpg
Mounts
6.jpg
Manifolds
7.jpg
Front driveshaft

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Sat May 31, 2014 1:27 pm

pjjimbo wrote:Thanks Matt, good to know.
The pajero bay is much roomier than ive seen with hiluxes so that will also improve cooling.

I think if I run an engine fan it might be difficult to also adapt an effective shroud to suit. Food for thought..

Extra engine bay room will definitely help airflow through the radiator.

The soarer radiator is wide and not very tall, close to a commodore radiator. The shroud with fan off the soarer would probably be a good fit.

Making good progress man.

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Sat May 31, 2014 1:48 pm

Sweet, thanks. I'll do some more research on the dimensions of the shroud etc.

Looking on trade me, the Alloy radiators are quite cheap - definitely and option with the current budget.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sat May 31, 2014 7:35 pm

Ive got a soarer radiator shroud sitting in the shed I can get dimensions/pics if you want em.for a hydraulic fan, I made my own shroud.
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:59 am

Cheers Skidmore yeah a pic would be great if that's OK.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:27 pm

heres a pics mate

its about 750x440 x 90mm thick
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:35 pm

pjjimbo wrote:Ok cool. Good info.
So do you think I could just swap the crown and pinion instead of changing the whole diff head?
That would be ideal as I can keep my rear locker...

I am pretty (very) sure. Not 100% about the rear but the front will, the front ARB part number is the same for them all. The rear I am sure will be as well, the part numbers are different but that is due to the spline count, if you used your centre, the other cw & p will bolt to it.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

pjjimbo
Driver/Navigator

Postby pjjimbo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:15 pm

We have opted to go for a steel driveshaft, custom welded up for the right length with 2 Uni's on it - rather than stick with the Pajero carbon rear driveshaft.
This involved making up an adaptor for the diff head end.
Attachments
20140606_141331.jpg

Return to “Projects / Mod's”