Brake problems nissan safari

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Brake problems nissan safari

Postby mudtroll » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:33 am

Having problems with safari pulling to the right under heavy braking, wof issue, have rekited both front calipiers including a new piston in 1 of them. brakes still feel spongy & when applied hard pull to right, if i pump them before use dosen't do it as bad. sounds like air may still be getting in, don't have time to check now as going away til sunday night. has longer brake hoses, would this contribute to the spongy feeling?

Any suggestions would be welcome, might have to do master cylinder next, trying to avoid as running low on funds! :(

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Re: Brake problems nissan safari

Postby DaveM » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:11 am

When the brakes were bled, did you include the bias valve or just at the calipers?

Oh, just read it again, and the brakes were rekitted because of the problem, so probably not a problem with the way they were bled then :oops:

MudBum
Hard Yaka

Postby MudBum » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:35 am

Was the new piston put in the right hand side??
Put new ones in mine awhile ago and the pistons were not an exceptional fit and caused sticking,an engineer took a smidge off an no probs since.
***Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance***

Most sports require only one ball - real sports require two.

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:31 am

MudBum wrote:Was the new piston put in the right hand side??
Put new ones in mine awhile ago and the pistons were not an exceptional fit and caused sticking,an engineer took a smidge off an no probs since.

New one is in the right but problem was there before, thats why I rekitted, the only other thing in the calipers that I noticed was one of the guide pins, with the rubber sleeve, was tighter on the right side?!
Before rekitting right side was binding, I think piston wasn't retracting due to rust, not now.
Will have another look today, might have to do master as not much else I can think of.

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:15 pm

I had my master cylinder seals buggered and kept letting air in. Had same symptoms as yours. Just a thought?
GU patrol 35s ect.
Money and time pit Suzuki Build.

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:16 pm

May have found problem, noticed a very slight fluid leak around where hose is bolted to caliper, changed the copper washers, but is now worse?!. Had enough going to see the brake man tomorrow.

flyingbrick
Hard Yaka

Postby flyingbrick » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:32 pm

Lets apply some logical thinking that a few others have missed.

Truck pulls to the right... which means that the right side of the car is braking MORE than the other side.

Which means that if there is a sticking piston (caliper sticking open) it will be in the left hand side of the truck.
phone Ross Bolus (secretary of the BOP club) He'll save you.

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:40 am

flyingbrick wrote:Lets apply some logical thinking that a few others have missed.

Truck pulls to the right... which means that the right side of the car is braking MORE than the other side.

Which means that if there is a sticking piston (caliper sticking open) it will be in the left hand side of the truck.

Had both sides apart & rekitted with new seals etc, right side piston stuffed so replaced, same problem BUT if brakes are pumped sometimes will brake straight which made me think still getting air in. noticed a very slight weeping of fluid on right side around hose so replaced cooper washers, all good, problem still there. same issue noticed on left caliper, slight weeping of fluid so changed those cooper washers, now fluid pissing out? replacement washers are slightly thicker & rounded on the edge soo cleaned up orginal washers to take the lip off, still no faarking good & leaking, brake man gonna have to sort it.

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:23 am

Getting desperate here, any ideas would be great.
Brake man couldn't see me til thurs so pulled brake calipers apart again, all look good still, measured rotors, both within spec. Have just been to VTNZ & they put it on the brake testing rollers & it checks out ok, very slightly more pull on right side but they would happily pass it for a wof, my problem is LVC won't pass as it definately pulls to right under hard braking. I've checked tightness of raduis arm bolts, changed front shocks from one side to the other, nothing seems to make a difference.
Not sure if this is relevant but had to replace 1 raduis arm bush on each side for wof, so have 1 new & 1 old in each arm, old bushes looked & felt fine.

Help, this is driving me faarking mad!

flyingbrick
Hard Yaka

Postby flyingbrick » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:24 pm

-Are both front tires the same? Is one a directional on backwards? One more worn than the other? Its hugely noticeable.

-Change all the bushes IMO so they are even both sides

-Get your shocks tested by someone who knows how to test them

-AFAIK brake systems are completely linked left and right (though im no expert) so feel that ANY air in the system would have the same effect on each side regardless of where the air is.

-degrease your disks and pads (or get new pads if they are a little worn- wont hurt) its possible all this leaking has made the disk greasy.
phone Ross Bolus (secretary of the BOP club) He'll save you.

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:34 pm

flyingbrick wrote:-Are both front tires the same? Is one a directional on backwards? One more worn than the other? Its hugely noticeable.

-Change all the bushes IMO so they are even both sides

-Get your shocks tested by someone who knows how to test them

-AFAIK brake systems are completely linked left and right (though im no expert) so feel that ANY air in the system would have the same effect on each side regardless of where the air is.

-degrease your disks and pads (or get new pads if they are a little worn- wont hurt) its possible all this leaking has made the disk greasy.

Thanks for your reply flyingbrick, running brand new 35" simexs but have put on my all terrains, same.
Gonna have a another look raduis arm bushes tomorrow,including bushes at chassis mount will try to measure from a point on chassis to diff to see if square.
shocks only couple of months old. will go & see brake man tomorrow even tho I thinking its not brakes,might try a wheel alighment. have a 75mm sus & 50mm body lift, somebody suggest may need adjustable panhard?
Keeping an eye on your drop boxes on tm too!

SV1K
Site Admin

Postby SV1K » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:14 am

Where are you in the country? May be albe to pop round if you are close and assist...

8)

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:28 am

suzuki1k wrote:Where are you in the country? May be albe to pop round if you are close and assist...

8)

Thanks for the offer but might be a long trip for I'm in north shore, auck.
just doing a rudimentry check on wheel alinement & right front turned out so will a quick adjust & see if that helps.

gary_in_nz
Hard Yaka

Postby gary_in_nz » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:59 pm

My old safari is doing similar things.

The master has been rekitted a year ago, with all fluid changed same time. The only other change i can think of is a couple years ago i put some slotted discs on the front off trademe because the old ones failed a wof. Ever since them i have been trying to convince myself that they just dont pull up as well.

Are all discs not created equal? Thinking of getting some bnt discs to throw in as it is a bit scary nearly getting the pedal through the floor and the wheels not even locking up.

Did you ever find a solution for your issues mudtroll?
"If it ain't V8, take it back"
Warning: Opinions and Expressions may offend.

curly12
Hard Yaka

Postby curly12 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Try talking to these's guys New Zealand Brake Company Ltd
(09) 836 6673
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Farken homeless..................................

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:56 am

My truck has progressed somewhat from those days... You can buy new calipers at a good price from onlineauto.com/au.
I've changed my whole system, gone hydro boost now,4 pot hilux calipers in the rear for better fiddle brakes, stops good now!.
Truck is not road legal

gards
Bush Crasher

Postby gards » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:13 pm

had the same issue a couple of years back and it came down to the slide bolt things on the calipers, took them apart ,lite sand paper and a bit of grease ,re installed and never had to play with them again. scary driving down a single lane motorway and braking hard and trying to stay in your own lane

gary_in_nz
Hard Yaka

Postby gary_in_nz » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:15 pm

Ok cheers for the replies, will check out the slides on the calipers, if no luck will look further into it, might give the brake guys a call.
"If it ain't V8, take it back"
Warning: Opinions and Expressions may offend.

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”