Chromoly? or ripped off???

Still Unbroken
Bush Crasher

Chromoly? or ripped off???

Postby Still Unbroken » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:18 am

So just got the last piece of Chromoly to go under my truck...
Yukon gear 4.88 reverse...
Took the old USA Gear out and all the numbers, marks etc are identical
I have heard that they downgrade yukon gear to usa gear if they arent up to spec so really not so sure that im getting a good deal...
I have ordered some nitro gear off suzolla and will put that in anyway...
Anyone have the same issue or thoughts??

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Re: Chromoly? or ripped off???

Postby QUADRACER » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:53 am

i had Nitro gear R&P in my winch truck, seemed real strong.
broken a richmond gear set.
retired 4wd to a ford ranger and UTV

Jafa
Hard Yaka

Postby Jafa » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:14 pm

I'd be more interested in setting it up correctly rather than worrying about the difference between a USA gear and a Yukon, check this site out for the ultimate setup procedure for a Toyota diff
http://www.gearinstalls.com/

quoted from PBB, Hartwig motorsports 8516......
[QUOTE=waynehartwig;12567918]Someone from Randy's can correct me if I'm wrong...

Spartan's are made, heat treated, etc right here in the PNW.

USA Standard is a Randy's value line. Yukon and Hard Core are premium lines.

USA Standard gears are made by Yukon - same materials, process, plant, drawings, etc. When the Yukon gears are brought in house, they go through quality control. If the contact portion of the ring and pinion don't meet tolerances for a quiet gear (too rough), then the gear is downgraded to USA Standard rather than tossing it in the trash. It's still a great gear strength wise and etc, but in some instances they can be noisy. I have several customers of mine that all they buy is USA Standard gears and I've yet to hear of any actually being noisy. But it's there for full disclosure.

USA Standard shafts are made by Yukon - same materials, process, plant, drawings, etc. The U-Joint area specs aren't met. Meaning they won't hold a CTM or other aftermarket joint, so they are downgraded to USA Standard. As long as you are fine with running Spicer joints, this will never be an issue. They are still strong and etc.

To my knowledge, none of Randy's/Yukon products are made in China.________________
Hartwig Motorsports 4516, Team Yukon Gear and Axle
Good Seller/Buyer List!
http://www.150Tunes.com
http://www.DiffsOnly.com
http://www.Jeeperman.com
10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

2013 - Trail Gear Western Series Regional Champion
2013 - Smittybilt EMC Series National Champion

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
[/QUOTE]__
'85 Hilux crawler, 3rz, duals, 4.7's, 4.88's, ARB's, 30 spline Longfields, 6 stud SNR4x4 Histeer, Airshocks up front, coiled rear, 40" Iroks.
^^^this shite is all about to change....^^^

021 273 9942
jafa@inspire.net.nz

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Postby suzolla » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi Andrew as mentioned on the phone I had a couple of sets with no marking so sent the following to Randy P & P

Hope all is well with you. The R and P’s arrived a couple of weeks ago which is great.

When I have had a close look at them I cannot see any markings on them that indicate that they are made by YUKON GEAR which I find a bit surprising.

In fact it appears that they did have some markings on them but this has been removed sometime between leaving the original manufacturer and being delivered.

Can you please advise what the reason for this is, as I thought I was paying a premium price for a premium product.

This is the reply I got back.

First off, I’m glad the product arrived to you in good condition. I always seem to hold my breath with shipments going overseas, you never know who is looking to relieve you of your parts. Secondly, you did pay for, and receive premium Yukon products. One thing you have to understand is that WE are Yukon Gear and Axle, not just the parts. In some cases, we have multiple manufacturers lined up to make specific ratios, especially if they are popular and hard to keep in stock in numerable quantities. In a few of those cases, they stamp their own marking on the gear sets and we would rather not divulge who is making some of our products. However, the Yukon difference and advantage is that they are made for us, to OUR engineering designs, specs, metallurgy, hardening techniques, and quality control, of which we have invested millions to ensure that the end customer is receiving the absolute highest quality product available. So in short, just because it doesn’t have a “YG” stamped on it, doesn’t mean you didn’t get what you paid for.
Thank you again for your business, and rest assured you have got the highest quality product available.

Cheers
Tim

Still Unbroken
Bush Crasher

Postby Still Unbroken » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Cheers.
That pretty much confirmed the research I did today....
So probably all reasonably good gear...
I have dropped it all off to my diff expert for a professional install.

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”