Fox Shocks / Coilovers

hyperlux
Driver/Navigator

Fox Shocks / Coilovers

Postby hyperlux » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:33 pm

Looking for any info or experience regarding Fox Gas Shocks v Coil Overs. I currently have 14" Travel Bilstein Coilovers in the front of a modified bean axle Hilux and am looking at possibly replacing these with the Fox Gas Shocks that the trials comp boys are running.

http://www.offroad-engineering.com/foxsh20prai1.html
http://www.offroad-engineering.com/foxsh16tr25p.html
Cheers Brad
HYPERLUX

kaupoi
Bush Crasher

Re: Fox Shocks / Coilovers

Postby kaupoi » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:41 am

How about Radflo? Cheaper and just as good.

teamorange
Driver/Navigator

Postby teamorange » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:17 am

if you already have set of dialled in coilovers then personally i would stay as you are

If you are building a new truck/buggy or making a new suspension system (links) then its a little less work and a little less money to fit air shocks

How heavy is your truck/buggy? if 1200KG max then go for 2 inch air shocks, if your truck/buggy is 1500/2000 KG then go for 2.5 inch air shocks. From experience 2.5 inch air shocks just do not work on a light buggy

Air shocks can be adjusted with adding/removing oil and nitrogen, locally i could not find a business who could inflate my shocks with nitrogen (upto 400+ PSI could be required) so i bought my own bottle and regulator which was another $800 - you can hire one from BOC.

I also agree look at RADFLO, (4WDbits or Kamo Part) excellent NZ support from importer these are fully rebuildable/adjustable shocks which is only useful if you can buy the bits you need.

Cheers

hyperlux
Driver/Navigator

Postby hyperlux » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:29 pm

Cheers Guys, yea at this stage its looking like ill re valve the Bilsteins and look at some different spring rates. Also looking inot the Radflo air shocks which look like the business and as you say good NZ support. Cheers Brad
Cheers Brad
HYPERLUX

hyperlux
Driver/Navigator

Postby hyperlux » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:38 pm

Hilux weight is currently around 1700kg, any idea on ideal spring rates ? And who deals best with the Bilstein Coil Overs regarding re valving ?
Cheers Brad
HYPERLUX

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:27 am

I think it comes down to what you want to use it for.

Air/gas shocks are just an emulsion shock (ie gas and oil are in the same place) and as such are better suited to lighter vehicle or slower speeds, because as they can aerate the oil and this reduces your damping (though there are trophy trucks that have used them set up as a coil over to give even more adjustability, but these trucks are basically using them as a spring and a bypass shock does the damping)

The advantages of air/gas shocks are, cheaper, easy packaging, and lighter weight. If what you're building is pretty light compared to the weight of 4 coil overs, maybe they are a good idea. Keep in mind that you will need a nitro bottle and associated reg/gauges etc if you want to be able to adjust your shocks.

If you're building a trials buggy, good idea. If it's a (non-buggy) winch challenge truck or off road racer, then probably better off with a proper (separate oil/gas) coil over. This line of course is just my opinion.

No comment on Radflow vs FOA product, but I will say that the service from the FOA agent is also excellent.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:02 pm

Spring rate is a bit of a job to work out lol I've explained this several times on here in different threads before I waste a couple of hours typing this up again... you'll need access to scales to work out the weight on each set of springs, next if I said "dual spring rate" and "dual rate spring setup" you would understand these two terms and the difference lol I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a wanker, I'm not kidding about it taking me a couple (probably more) of hrs to type up all the math to work out and an explanation so you can understand each part and how it changes your handling

If you don't understand those two terms fully, I would recomend using one of the online calculators to pick your springs.... they will give you something that will work
http://www.crawlpedia.com/spring_rate_calculator.htm

Of if all that is a bit much lol or as an old shed mate was fond of saying "it only works in a class room it doesn't apply to reality..." then do it by the seat of your pants... it bounces, the spring rate is too stiff put a softer spring in... it bottoms out too much or too hard fit a harder spring.... if your running a dual spring where one spring stops travel before the shock travel then.... say so and I'll spend some time typing lol

hyperlux
Driver/Navigator

Postby hyperlux » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:14 pm

Cheers for the info Checkerhead / De-ranged,
I'm fairly well on track with the suspension setup ive got now (Dual Spring Bilstein Coilovers), so as you have mentioned "De-Ranged" i might just suck it and see with some heavier/harder springs in.
Truck has been built for about 3 years now (just a club/bush truck, not quite winch challenge spec) but suspension is just too soft, im probably looking into it too deeply with wanting to change shocks etc. Im just not a fan of how the Bilsteins have performed to date, probably because I have them set up with wrong rate coils, bottom coil is coil bound just with weight of the truck so the top spring is doing all the work, bottom spring only comes into effect when axle drops away. Ill set up some scales and get an unsprung weight had have a look on the net and see what spring rates are recommended. (i just wish i could remember what spring rates are in there currently, things would be easy then).

Ill post on here when I get some new coils in. Cheers Bard
Cheers Brad
HYPERLUX

hyperlux
Driver/Navigator

Postby hyperlux » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:22 pm

Below are a few pics just for interest sake.
Attachments
Hyperlux pureora logan.jpg
Hyperlux diff out pureora.jpg
Hyperlux 44 RH.jpg
Hyperlux 44gal.jpg
Hyperlux Purora.jpg
Cheers Brad
HYPERLUX

hyperlux
Driver/Navigator

Postby hyperlux » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:25 pm

An a couple more
Attachments
Hyperlux pureora sideview.jpg
Hyperlux pureora logan.jpg
Hyperlux 1st day .jpg
Cheers Brad
HYPERLUX

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:03 am

Looks winch challenge spec to me mate! Very cool.

Worst case scenario you can get your current springs tested to find the rate (or stack weight on one till it compresses an inch, then weigh the weights). I think knowing what you have would be very valuable info.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:50 pm

I need the dia of the wire, looking down on the coil the dia of the coil and the active laps of coil (don't count the seating coils at each end) and I'll calculate it for you

hyperlux
Driver/Navigator

Postby hyperlux » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks, De-Ranged ill get those specs for you next time im home which will be next week, and would much appreciate some numbers if you can. Ultimate goal would be Modified/Outlaw class for winch comps in a year or so.
Cheers Brad
HYPERLUX

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:51 pm

That's an awesome looking truck!

hyperlux
Driver/Navigator

Postby hyperlux » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:21 pm

De-Ranged, attached are a couple of pics of the bilstein coils. If you could Calc some rates for me, would be appricated. Cheers
Attachments
20151119_211104.jpg
20151119_210804.jpg
20151119_210756.jpg
Cheers Brad
HYPERLUX

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Postby suzolla » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi, I know this thread is a little bit old but I noticed that you seem to be running your Bilstiens upside down, usually the body is at the top and the shaft at the bottom
Cheers
Tim

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”