60 series crossmember

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

60 series crossmember

Postby Pj_Marsh » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:01 pm

Looking for an early 60 series cruiser cross member for my 5 speed install on the '40. Anyone got one? Apparently I can use that with hj47 mounts and avoid cutting or fabricating mounts for the box, any advice from someone who's tried putting a h55f in an fj40 would be highly appreciated.

At the moment ive got a modified late 60 series cross member but its not really ideal, I had to cut it and want to avoid anything not factory. Cheers!

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Re: 60 series crossmember

Postby Pj_Marsh » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:16 pm

From scouring the darkest corners of the internet it looks like the one im after is between 1980-85. Bolts up inside the frame on L-brackets

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:06 pm

Pj_Marsh wrote:any advice from someone who's tried putting a h55f in an fj40 would be highly appreciated.

its all been successfully done a few thousand times before but the things you usually have to deal with are

depending what the gearbox has come out of you can have problems with where the gear shifter comes up there are quite a few top plate variations for the 5 speeds with the shifters all in different positions

the tube crossmember behind the transfercase can start getting in the way and cause clearance problems the 5 speed boxes are longer than the 4 speeds

handbrake can be a problem if you had a carden handbrake and the new transfercase dosent have one

if its a vacuum actuated transfercase the diaphragm can fowl on the chassis rail the 40 series chassis is a bit narrower than a 60 or 70 series that the 5 speeds came out in

the driveshaft lengths need to be changed

the bolt pattern on the 5 speed output flanges are different to the 40 series driveshaft flanges so you have to redrill the flanges or use later driveshaft yokes with the right bolt pattern

if you put a 5 speed box in with a 350 chevy you can keep the transfercase in the same place (don't need to modify driveshaft lengths) and the longer gearbox pushes the engine forward to clear the heads from the firewall

that's all I can remember mate

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:36 pm

You can fit a HJ60 5 speed straight onto the 2F bellhousing . The box is 88mm longer so you have to shorten the rear and lengthen the front or shorten the rear donor 60 shaft to use as the new front.
I do have a spare HJ60 crossmember if you really want one.

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Postby Pj_Marsh » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:46 am

Cheers guys.

I'm mating it to a 12h-t. Got that in and drilled the mounts for it. Its on a fairly impressive lean, angling upwards at the front and down at the rear. Got 2 spare shafts prop shafts for shortening/lengthening, just having trouble with the cross member. Ive got hj47 L-brackets on the inside of the frame that will hold the pre '85 gearbox cross member, I just have to find one. Thanks for the heads up on the vacuum- I'll have to check if it fits. Box is currently in the shop getting reconditioned. Diogenese, are you able to measure the one you have? I'll flick you some cash if you are willing to part with it

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:38 pm

What measurement do you need? I'll be able to get at it this weekend.

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Postby Pj_Marsh » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:54 pm

should be approx 530 mm. Hard to tell without the right mounts, but it will look a bit like this:

Another view:

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:26 pm

is there some reason you cant or don't want to use a late model 40 series crossmember (other than them being a bit hard to find) you'll only be shifting it a short distance from where they usually mount so it should be the right width to fit your chassis

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Postby Pj_Marsh » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:53 pm

I'd give it a try if I could find one, what year would i find one on? Also, does it use those L-brackets? Have to find a pair of those too

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”