Tralier Half Axles - Dura Torques

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Tralier Half Axles - Dura Torques

Postby MihiT » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:08 pm

I have an old trailer chassis I'm wanting to build up into a ~1.5T work trailer, it had hydraulic disc braked dura torques, mounted forward, with small shocks on a tower at the front.
I had it looked at by Northland Towbars in town (after i'd cut off the towers and shocks) and he reckons the dura torques have sagged, looking at new ones, they do show about 20 degrees below horizontal, where mine sit more like 5 unladen.

I have aquired some old coil overs (which are much longer than the originals - not really a problem since i'm going to have to weld new/different towers on anyway) So I wonder if i can't just force them back to the stock angle? Or if that entirely defeats the purpose and is just going to flog out the shocks.

Google doesn't come up with anything about re-packing the duratorques, except an old thread that mentioned Trailcom in Auckland. Guys in town reckon it's almost cheaper to buy new ones ($1200 - yeah, nah!) So wondering if there's any better or more recent advice from you guys?

Or I can weld them soiid and make up some coil turrets, or swap them out entirely for something else?
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

tweake
Hard Yaka

Re: Tralier Half Axles - Dura Torques

Postby tweake » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:15 pm

by mem you can replace the rubber in the ok. trouble may be working out what brand they are.
see alko.
just a thought, if they are rusty inside where the rubber is, best just to replace them.
you can also get alko shocks for them too. they mount in a weird way and i think the shocks are backwoods to normal.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:50 am

tweake wrote:by mem you can replace the rubber in the ok. trouble may be working out what brand they are.
see alko.
just a thought, if they are rusty inside where the rubber is, best just to replace them.
you can also get alko shocks for them too. they mount in a weird way and i think the shocks are backwoods to normal.

Everything else on the trailer is trojan (hubs, calipers, master cyl) so I'm comfortable assuming the dura are as well. Can you point me to a service/repair manual, as I haven't been able to find anything!

I've wire brushed the outside and they're really not too bad, so also assume the inside are servicable, replacement isn't in the budget.
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:44 pm

you would have to ring and ask if they even sell the rubber inserts.
manuals? not likely. even when they list spare parts they very rarely have instructions on how on fit them.

one of the other manufactures may have instructions.

oldblue
Hard Yaka

Postby oldblue » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:46 pm

"Oldblue" Electric to Manual Hub Conversion's 03 5447586

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”