Gas shock query

GreyGhost
Driver/Navigator

Gas shock query

Postby GreyGhost » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:07 pm

My series 90 Prado came with Gabriel 'Blue Ryder' gas shocks fitted to the rear suspension.
On some series of rough bits the shocks seem to be 'caught out' a bit and allow quite a solid thump through into the cab.
I've put new rear springs in (standard height) as I thought maybe the springs were a tad tired (they were but by only 30mm difference in body height).
The Gabriel gas shocks only work one way. When I remove them they want to extend out to maximum length, and so are always giving a good resistance to bumps when the shock is being compressed, but then they want to extend out quickly and offer no resistance to the rebound effect.
I think that's causing the bump I can feel when going over a series of juddery bits.
They are not a double acting shock (don't have a resistance extending, but do when compressing).
Most 'normal' (non gas) shocks are double acting.
So, I change over to standard shocks or fit a different set of gas shocks?
Blue Ryders are junk anyway?
Your thoughts?
The clearance between diff and rubber buffers seems fine, so I'm fairly sure that I'm not feeling the diff bottoming out.

sirLachlan
Hard Yaka

Re: Gas shock query

Postby sirLachlan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:59 pm

Have you tried them up the other way ?

GreyGhost
Driver/Navigator

Postby GreyGhost » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:59 pm

HA Ha. Nice try, but no!

sirLachlan
Hard Yaka

Postby sirLachlan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:40 pm

I was being serious . Turn them upside down and see if they have damping in both directions .

If they have no rebound damping then it's coz they are fucked . Not designed like that .

Twin tube and mono tube low pressure shocks only work when the oil is at the right end

GreyGhost
Driver/Navigator

Postby GreyGhost » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:35 pm

Sorry, I see what you mean now.
I've decided to take them off and bung on some new ones, plus new springs (and maybe shocks) for the front end. It's about 1" too low at the front compared to another couple of Prado's I know. So possibly a combination of saggy front springs and too stiff gas shocks at the rear?
They were a bit too stiff for the little RX anyway, which might be all the problem is.
If they check out OK once I get them off I'll just sell them (the local suspension/wheel alignment guys are going to check them for me to make sure they are 'sellable').
Thanks for your help.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:11 pm

For best overall handling it should have a slight rake, ie slightly lower in the front, with the camber set slightly positive. Then when you load it up with passengers, fuel, gear etc it will level out and the camber should normalise at about 1 degree negative.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

GreyGhost
Driver/Navigator

Postby GreyGhost » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:16 pm

Sorted...thanks guys.
I took the Gabriels off, and the local suspension guy checked them.
They are OK, but very stiff acting. Probably OK for the weight of a Hi Lux or a 5 door Prado but my little 3 door was a tad too light in the bum end.
Put on a softer set of Ultima gas shocks and they are definitely better suited to the weight of the 3 door.
It rides much softer now. Very comfortable without any harshness that the stiffer shocks gave.
Now I'm all enthused and doing the front end too (springs and shocks) just to have a nice smooth ride (I don't go anywhere gnarly. Mainly forest trails or open road touring).
Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”