Hilux leaf spring relocation kit

nzlux
Hard Yaka

Hilux leaf spring relocation kit

Postby nzlux » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:25 pm

I have acquired a set of 32 inch mickey thompson tyres, on 15x10 rims.

When trying the tyres on my ln106 hilux I get a small rub at full lock, full compression, passengers side only

The tyres have taken car of the guards pushed them up, I also hit the guard with a hammer to tidy it up, and painted it sl it wont rust.

I have read moving the front axle (hilux is leaf sprung solid axle) forward will mean that I can go to 33 inch tyres.

What are peoples opinions on axle relocation kits?

http://shop.snakeracing.com.au/hilux-ax ... on-plates/

If I fit them I understand I will also need a drive shaft spacer, I already have an adjustable drag link and tourque bar as I have got a 2 inch suspension lift in the ute.

Also, do axle relocation plates need to be certed?

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Re: Hilux leaf spring relocation kit

Postby lax2wlg » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:43 am

nzlux wrote:I have acquired a set of 32 inch mickey thompson tyres, on 15x10 rims.

When trying the tyres on my ln106 hilux I get a small rub at full lock, full compression, passengers side only

The tyres have taken car of the guards pushed them up, I also hit the guard with a hammer to tidy it up, and painted it sl it wont rust.

I have read moving the front axle (hilux is leaf sprung solid axle) forward will mean that I can go to 33 inch tyres.

What are peoples opinions on axle relocation kits?

http://shop.snakeracing.com.au/hilux-ax ... on-plates/

If I fit them I understand I will also need a drive shaft spacer, I already have an adjustable drag link and tourque bar as I have got a 2 inch suspension lift in the ute.

Also, do axle relocation plates need to be certed?

It will work but you will get Far better offroad performance from putting rear springs in the front
-Hilux was designed to be loaded in the stern so the engine sits about 6 feet out the front of the thing. RUF will allow you to move the the front axle shitloads forward, more than anything this seemingly minor adjustment in weight distribution will make the biggest difference to offroad ability
-Rear leaf pack with tuning will articulate better - more wheel travel - more traction
-You'll need to go hi steer but all factory straight axle hiluxes need that anyway, factory J arm will become a weak point, esp with that tyre/rim combo
-That tyre/ rim combo will also tear apart wheel bearings and give more flotation than is necessary relative to the vehicle weight which will decrease offroad ability
-33x10.5, 6" rim widely regarded as best size for factory straight axle hilux, for reliable performance in aggressive offroad use.Add locker different story.

"Science is awesome. If you don't like it, you can f**k off." -Prof. Richard Dawkins
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:14 pm

if you already have the adjustable draglink and torque rod just redrill the perches on your housing (one side is already done from the factory)
can move the diff about 25 or 30mm (cant remember exactly)

then ya just need the DS spacer

but rears up front and high steer will drastically improve the offroad performance

sirLachlan
Hard Yaka

Postby sirLachlan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:32 pm

What size is the hole / drill bit required ?

nzlux
Hard Yaka

Postby nzlux » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:09 am

I know a cert is required for cross over steering..

Does anyone know if a cert required for relocation plates, or drilling the pearchs?

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:19 pm

I have read up a lot on lifting the straight axle hiluxs, but I have one or two questions that I need to clarify.
1.is high steering and cross over steering the same thing(I think they are, but just want to be sure)
2. at what point of lift(how many inches,mm etc), does the cross over steering become necessary?
3. at what point of lift do you need the short spacer for the front driveshaft?
4.How come some high steer set ups require a bent(stepped) pitman arm, and yet other trucks sometimes need a flat pitman arm for clearance?
5. at what point of lift is an adjustable torque rod required?
6. at what point of lift is a dropped drag link required?
Apologies for the "new to straight axle hilux" questions.
Cheers.

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”